Why did Anthony Fantano praise Atrocity yet not Yeezus?

Why did Anthony Fantano praise Atrocity yet not Yeezus?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qQs8IILSJ5s
youtube.com/watch?v=h0boHcBFSR0
paulwhite.bandcamp.com/album/rapping-with-paul-white
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeezus is shit

He wasn't paid off to endorse Yeezus

yeezus is great atrocity exhibition is an atrocity exhibition

because kanye didn't want to do an interview with him

Because he has an irrational dislike towards anything Kanye. He has personal problems with him. There's a needledrop podcast episode where he gets really heated when his guest Craig Jenkins suggests that Kanye is a genius. Fantano proceeds to call Kanye a dick and his fashion line mediocre.

Also Fantano is a Death Grips stan to the max and the whole controversy surrounding Yeezus ripping off DG's sound certainly didn't sit well with him.

Both albums are definitely in the same ballpark (and both are, at the very least, good), but Yeezus is a thousand times tackier and more amateur-sounding. Like, literally anyone on here could make an album like Yeezus.

/thread
kanyefags are impossible

Because yeezus is a shite album perhaps?

I completely disagree. To make an album as laser-sharp as Yeezus needs dedication and serious skills as a producer. The buzzsaw synths, the bleeps and bloops and the horns can all be recreated but to tweak and EQ them to perfection like they sound on Yeezus takes serious skill and knowledge. New Slaves alone is fascinating in how minimal it is, yet it sounds powerful and complete. There were some serious big name producers that worked on Yeezus and it shows. Absolutely nothing on Yeezus sounds in the least bit amateurish.

T.anthony Fantano trying to save face because of his shit taste

Because maybe.....just maybe.....he has is own opinions on things.

>Absolutely nothing on Yeezus sounds in the least bit amateurish.

>Cudi's bit
>the utilization of the sample on Bound 2
>pretty much everything about Send It Up
>80% of the lyrics (granted, it is post-MBDTF kanye, so this is expected)
>the transition to the (admittedly pretty awesome) outro of New Slaves

>but Yeezus is a thousand times tackier and more amateur-sounding. Like, literally anyone on here could make an album like Yeezus.
The production and quality of Yeezus is one of its strongest points, it would be much easier to ape AE.
Also I want to point out that AE sounds alright but its lacking musically, in fact if it wasn't for the fact that Danny is so interesting the album wouldn't have been so good. If the beats on this album were given to any other rapper then I don't think they wouldn't have been able to utilize them to their fullest, which is a plus for Danny but it speaks volumes about the musical content on this album.

Comparing AE to Yeezus is unfair because Danny doesn't have access to the production quality, samples and features that Kanye does.
It's also unfair because Kanye shits all over him on a musical level and to think you can hope to reach the prowess of Yeezus is fucking retarded

Yeezus is a completely different beast if you ask me. The only point of comparison is that they're both hip-hop and they both have unconventional production. I feel like the appeal of Danny Brown's music is almost always his outstanding rapping, while Kanye has the edge on production. Not to say the production on AE isn't great either however.

>If the beats on this album were given to any other rapper then I don't think they wouldn't have been able to utilize them to their fullest

This is the only part of your post that isn't fucking retarded

because hes one person who has an opinion that happens to not be the same as yours.

and yeezus is trash

Nah m8 its all true, just because you have a hard one for Danny doesn't mean the music he raps over is exceptional.

I really don't. AE is by far DB's best album whereas Yeezus is one of Kanye's worst, but I've been overall a much bigger fan of Kanye.

Yeezus was #10 on my year end list back in 2013. Interestingly enough, that's the same position that AE is gonna end up being on my list this year.

>Danny Brown gets AOTY because he did an interview with Fantano
smdh

>muh lyrics

Is Kendrick on tlop?

I'll keep saying it
AE's real star is Paul White
He could become one of the greatest producers in the history of hip hop at this rate imo

Yeezus is a standard Kanye album that has him HUHNing over Death Grips Lite™ production. whereas Atrocity Exhibition feels like a logical continuation of ideas that Danny Brown has previously explored.

I know man. I know...

Also I pity those who never heard One of Life's Pleasure. It's the fifth track.

wtf wrong links

youtube.com/watch?v=h0boHcBFSR0

paulwhite.bandcamp.com/album/rapping-with-paul-white

yes, he's great

>Yeezus is one of Kanye's worst

No, it's actually his best by a wide margin.

Because anthony hates kanye on a personal level. Atrocity Exhibition doesn't even hold a candle to TLOP, much less a masterpiece like Yeezus.

fantano is a petty bitch. i bet he lost an argument with someone about how great kanye is and has never got over it so he feels he needs to shit on kanye. yeezus and TLOP are both shit though

Sounds like you just dont have an ear for what goes on in the bleeding edge of the production industry, sounds like you're too easily impressed.

I don't think yeezus is shit per se, but it's definently one of kanye's weakest albums.

Because Yeezus sucked.

why is everyone calling tlop yeezus? am i missing some meme?

>Why did Anthony Fantano praise a good album instead of an awful album?

Sup Forums when atrocity exhibition dropped:
>AOTY ATOY HOLY FUCK
Sup Forums when Anthony fantano said he liked it
>wow this is shit now

Kanye West is a child of social networking and hip-hop. And he knows about all kinds of music and popular culture. The guy has a real wide palette to play with. That’s all over Yeezus. There are moments of supreme beauty and greatness on this record, and then some of it is the same old shit. But the guy really, really, really is talented. He’s really trying to raise the bar. No one’s near doing what he’s doing, it’s not even on the same planet.

People say this album is minimal. And yeah, it’s minimal. But the parts are maximal. Take “Blood on the Leaves”: there’s a lot going on there: horns, piano, bass, drums, electronic effects, all rhythmically matched — towards the end of the track, there’s now twice as much sonic material. But Kanye stays unmoved while this mountain of sound grows around him. Such an enormous amount of work went into making this album. Each track is like making a movie.

Actually, the whole album is like a movie, or a novel — each track segues into the next. This is not individual tracks sitting on their own island, all alone.

Very often, he’ll have this very monotonous section going and then, suddenly —“BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!” — he disrupts the whole thing and we’re on to something new that’s absolutely incredible. That’s architecture, that’s structure — this guy is seriously smart. He keeps unbalancing you. He’ll pile on all this sound and then suddenly pull it away, all the way to complete silence, and then there’s a scream or a beautiful melody, right there in your face. That’s what I call a sucker punch.

He seems to have insinuated in a recent New York Times interview that My Beautiful Dark, Twisted Fantasy was to make up for stupid shit he’d done. And now, with this album, it’s “Now that you like me, I’m going to make you unlike me.” It’s a dare. It’s braggadoccio. Axl Rose has done that too, lots of people have. “I Am a God” — I mean, with a song title like that, he’s just begging people to attack him.

But why he starts the album off with that typical synth buzzsaw sound is beyond me, but what a sound it is, all gussied up and processed. I can’t figure out why he would do that. It’s like farting. It’s another dare — I dare you to like this. Very perverse.

Still, I have never thought of music as a challenge — you always figure, the audience is at least as smart as you are. You do this because you like it, you think what you’re making is beautiful. And if you think it’s beautiful, maybe they’ll think it’s beautiful. When I did Metal Machine Music, New York Times critic John Rockwell said, “This is really challenging.” I never thought of it like that. I thought of it like, “Wow, if you like guitars, this is pure guitar, from beginning to end, in all its variations. And you’re not stuck to one beat.” That’s what I thought. Not, “I’m going to challenge you to listen to something I made.” I don’t think West means that for a second, either. You make stuff because it’s what you do and you love it.

Kanye is married to kim kardashian
All artistic value is lost

And it works. It works because it’s beautiful — you either like it or you don’t — there’s no reason why it’s beautiful. I don’t know any musician who sits down and thinks about this. He feels it, and either it moves you too, or it doesn’t, and that’s that. You can analyze it all you want.

Many lyrics seem like the same old b.s. Maybe because he made up so much of it at the last minute. But it’s the energy behind it, the aggression. Usually the Kanye lyrics I like are funny, and he’s very funny here. Although he thinks that getting head from nuns and eating Asian pussy with sweet and sour sauce is funny, and it might be, to a 14-year-old — but it has nothing to do with me. Then there’s the obligatory endless blowjobs and menages-a-trois.

But it’s just ridiculous that people are getting upset about “Put my fist in her like a civil rights sign”? C’mon, he’s just having fun. That’s no more serious than if he said he’s going to drop a bomb on the Vatican. How can you take that seriously?

And then he’ll come out with an amazing line like “We could have been somebody.” He’s paraphrasing that famous Marlon Brando line from On the Waterfront, “I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let’s face it. It was you, Charlie.” Or he says “I’d rather be a dick than a swallower” — but then he does a whole chorus with Frank Ocean. What he says and what he does are often two different things.

“Hold My Liquor” is just heartbreaking, and particularly coming from where it’s coming from — listen to that incredibly poignant hook from a tough guy like Chief Keef, wow. At first, West says “I can hold my liquor” and then he says “I can’t hold my liquor.” This is classic — classic manic-depressive, going back and forth. Or as the great Delmore Schwartz said, “Being a manic depressive is like having brown hair.”

“I’m great, I’m terrible, I’m great, I’m terrible.” That’s all over this record. And then that synthesized guitar solo on the last minute and a half of that song, he just lets it run, and it’s devastating, absolutely majestic.

There are more contradictions on “New Slaves,” where he says “Fuck you and your Hamptons house.” But God only knows how much he’s spending wherever he is. He’s trying to have it both ways — he’s the upstart but he’s got it all, so he frowns on it. Some people might say that makes him complicated, but it’s not really that complicated. He kind of wants to retain his street cred even though he got so popular. And I think he thinks people are going to think he’s become one of them — so he’s going to very great lengths to claim that he’s not. On “New Slaves,” he’s accusing everyone of being materialistic but you know, when guys do something like that, it’s always like, “But we’re the exception. It’s all those other people, but we know better.”

“New Slaves” has that line “Y’all throwin’ contracts at me/You know that niggas can’t read.” Wow, wow, wow. That is an amazing thing to put in a lyric. That’s a serious accusation in the middle of this rant at other people: an accusation of himself. As if he’s some piece of shit from the street who doesn’t know nothing. Yeah, right — your mom was a college English professor.

He starts off cool on that track but he winds up yelling at the top of his voice. I think he maybe had a couple of great lines already written for this song but then when he recorded the vocal, but then he just let loose with it and trusted his instincts. Because I can’t imagine actually writing down most of these lines. But that’s just me.

But musically, he nails it beyond belief on”New Slaves.” It’s mainly just voice and one or two synths, very sparse, and then it suddenly breaks out into this incredible melodic… God knows what. Frank Ocean sings this soaring part, then it segues into a moody sample of some Hungarian rock band from the ’70s. It literally gives me goosebumps. It’s like the visuals at the end of the new Superman movie — just overwhelmingly incredible. I played it over and over.

Some people ask why he’s screaming on “I Am a God.” It’s not like a James Brown scream — it’s a real scream of terror. It makes my hair stand on end. He knows they could turn on him in two seconds. By “they” I mean the public, the fickle audience. He could kill Taylor Swift and it would all be over.

The juxtaposition of vocal tones on “Blood on the Leaves” is incredible — that pitched-up sample of Nina Simone singing “Strange Fruit” doing a call-and-response with Kanye’s very relaxed Autotuned voice. That is fascinating, aurally, nothing short of spectacular. And holy shit, it’s so gorgeous rhythmically, where sometimes the vocal parts are matched and sometimes they clash. He’s so sad in this song. He’s surrounded by everyone except the one he wants — he had this love ripped away from him, before he even knew it. “I know there ain’t nothing wrong with me… something strange is happening.” Well, surprise, surprise — welcome to the real world, Kanye.

It’s fascinating — it’s very poignant, but there’s nothing warm about it, sonically — it’s really electronic, and after a while, his voice and the synth are virtually the same. But I don’t think that’s a statement about anything — it’s just something he heard, and then he made it so you could hear it too.

At so many points in this album, the music breaks into this melody, and it’s glorious — I mean, glorious. He has to know that — why else would you do that? He’s not just banging his head against the wall, but he acts as though he is. He doesn’t want to seem precious, he wants to keep his cred.

And sometimes it’s like a synth orchestra. I’ve never heard anything like it — I’ve heard people try to do it but no way, it just comes out tacky. Kanye is there. It’s like his video for “Runaway,” with the ballet dancers — it was like, look out, this guy is making connections. You could bring one into the other — ballet into hip-hop — they’re not actually contradictory, and he knew that, he could see it immediately. He obviously can hear that all styles are the same, somewhere deep in their heart, there’s a connection. It’s all the same shit, it’s all music — that’s what makes him great. If you like sound, listen to what he’s giving you. Majestic and inspiring.

Meh, Bound 2 was good

TND hates all of GOOD Music I feel like.

6/10

Dude I wish I could write as good as Lou Reed.

They're completely different albums. Yeezus is mainly talking about his struggles with fame but then embracing them at the same time. There are songs that are great, Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Bound 2, the project isn't consistent though. The project kind of goes back and forth on being braggadocios and hating being famous because being famous restricts you on what you can do and how you're perceived in the media. When on Kanye's previous albums, even on MBDTF, he approaches more concise topics.

Atrocity Exhibition is a lot more personal of an album than Yeezus is. Danny Brown openly discusses his drug use and how it's a negative part of his life. He explores it as an addiction he's not proud of that a lot of rappers now a days don't really explore. Also the pacing of the album is similar that to the Velvet Underground & Nico, where he'll have a quiet song then a few insane tracks then another cool down. He also presents that he has a lot of knowledge of art and culture and presents that in a concise project.

You can still like yeezus over atrocity exhibition, I just think Atrocity Exhibition is overall just a better album.

danny brown released the best halloween album of 2017

Your logic doesn't really makes sense. The negative things you're saying about AE you could say about Yeezus. I could say "give any of those beats on Yeezus to any other rapper and it would sound different." Well, yeah duh, every rapper has their own style. I disagree who you responded to saying anyone could make Yeezus, that's not true at all. Only Kanye could have made it and the shock after its initial release is really what made it. It's his In Utero or Kid A or White Album, that was logically the next step.

This

Kanye is a dick and his fashion line is mediocre. There's really nothing special about his designs, he look towards his fashion favorites of the late 90s and 2000s and blatantly copies them. He obviously copies raf simons and rick owens.

Exactly

No what I'm saying is that DB didn't have a whole lot to work musically but the lyrics, charisma and talent as a rapper are all there on the album but most of the underlying tracks are very lacking imo

I really have to give it to DB's ability to make the entire experience as enjoyable as possible because a lot of the tracks feel like a vacuum musically.
I worded it pretty badly tho 2bh

Fantano only likes the old Kanye, he think best Kanye album is College Dropout or Late Registration.

Are you Anthony? You're a bald faggot Fuck you

I dislike Anthony but why do so many people take his reviews so seriously he's clearly a smug hipster that thinks music is art.

And? He's right. Nu Kanye is garbage backpacker shit. TLOP was a huge disappointment and the worst part about every song was Kanye
>Kanye fucking ruining wolves with his garbage verse
>Removes Vic and Sia
>People bitch and he adds Sia and Vic back but keeps his awful verse that ruins the song

>raf simons and rick owens
this is like saying Radiohead copies U2. Like, of course there are some similarities get the fuck over it pleb.

Because Yeezus sucked.
I was extremely excited after the SNL performance, expected a cool, intense, industrial hip hop record, got middling bullshit with a fuckin chief keef feature that progressively got worse with every track. Not only that, but some of the most insufferable lyrics ever.

exactly this

Send it Up production was done by Gesaffelstein which is pretty skilled in having a clear sound

John Lennon was married to Yoko Ono
All artistic value is lost

Yeah I understand what you're saying now. You're basically saying that kanye works on the project as a whole, including the music and lyrics when danny works with producers and you would want to see him work on both. That's understandable, and if you didn't like some of the tracks that's okay too. I can understand why you don't. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No, there's a difference of taking something as an influence and directly copying. U2 is an obvious influence to Radiohead, just how Bruce Springsteen is an obvious influence to Arcade Fire. Kanye is basically copying their designs and not really making them his own, his sneakers though are really well designed and definitely his own. His other products though, not so much. His A.P.C. jeans were copied from Hedi Slimane's dior era and the cut of his silhouettes are directly copied from early raf simons.

The strength of Yeezus is that it uses the medium of the album fully
AE is pretty much just songs he recorded at similar time, thrown together in an album. The songs are mostly great but there isn't an amazing transition

On the other hand, Yeezus is structurally perfect. The tracks transition, the album is cohesive and tells a story, the tracks interact with each other. I Am A God gives context to Hold My Liquor, that gives context to Blood on the Leaves, that gives context to Bound 2. You can't listen to a Yeezus track without wanting to listen to the track right after it on the album.

This is part of what makes Kanye great, and why he's only improved overall

Yeezus > MBDTF

accurate