Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1791

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
Fuck Sup Forums

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ameblo.jp/happy2525tkg/entry-11165148231.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Delete this
Go to /jp/

First for linQ

Dele this
Go to 2ch

何かしゃべって、みんな!;_;

I'm actually starting to agree with this. Last thread got archived due to inactivity.

What is the point of DJT if JT exists.

>Previous thread was archived before bump limit
Dead

Then why do you beg for attention only on Sup Forums?

I offer my service freely. That being said, I would prefer more feedback from my lessons.

You really think the mod would put up with his shit on /jp/?

I've been invited to JP twice. I don't think they will mind.

Yeah guys why don't we move to the containment board for stuck-up NEET pedophiles?

If it comes to that, I would much rather merge with the JT.

namamugi namagome namatamago

Briefly looking at the /jp/ DJT I am reminded of what I disliked about DJT. If it's a choice between /jp/ DJT and Sup Forums JT I'm staying in Sup Forums.

And that's saying something, because the JT is such a shit show.

At least they write in Japanese in the /jp/ version though. Gotta give them that.

They usually speak Japanese over in /jp/? Well maybe I just caught it on a bad day.

There's no reason for this thread to not exist. Mods allow it, so keep making it. Pretty much the only ones opposing it is an Aussie and a certain vocal faggot jap who thinks he has some authority here because the Japanese thread was on this board before DJT came here.

/jp/ DJT is pretty bad. I had a look a couple of days ago.

If anything, it would be a merge with Sup Forums JT. I reckon there are less than 10 regular posters on Sup Forums DJT.

There's no reason for this thread to exist either. JT is the same shit as this thread, even the posters overlap for the most part

>put picture of IRL black man in OP and call it /DJT/

It was a victim of sabotage

Not really. JT is about shitposting in Japanese. DJT is about shitposting to learn Japanese.

The Japanese thread is a massive circlejerk. You've been there during European prime time, surely? The only name or tripfag I see here regularly now is that faggot Aussie that's easily filtered. On their thread, they infest the whole fucking thread during that time. That's good enough of a reason in my book.

Not to mention this is specifically for learning the language, their thread isn't. We also share pirated media here, which the nips there hate and would likely start a shit show if we were to do it in the same manner as we do here.

Here's some feedback: stop.

So the page on the guide website about anki setup links to a core2k/6k deck, but the CoR page lists a "core2k/6k/10k further optimized." Which is better? Should I switch if I started the first one?

日本人を食べたい

From what people have said, a lot of the 6-10k cards are business fluff.
Your call if you want to learn those or switch to a mining deck. You could always suspend the 6-10k cards and then unsuspend them if they come up during reading.

>We also share pirated media, which the nips there hate
Why though? ',:^0

>キクヒメはいつも俺のおやびんではないの感じ

>get 2 answers to your lang8 post
>one corrects a bunch of stuff
>the other says everything is perfect

That kind of stuff is hard, mmkay

t. corrector

グーグル翻訳を使わないでください

post it here ;)

I asked someone else here to do it for me. Do you know a better way too translate:
>tfw Kikuhime will never be my oyabin

I'd translate it as 「キクヒメは俺のおやびんになることはないという風の気持ち」, but I'm not quite sure about the ことはない part

I'm interested in testing my reading speed in Japanese. Google gives me nothing.

Hi guys. Still trucking through キノの旅

「僕はね、たまに自分がどうしようもない、愚かで矮小な奴ではないか?
Is the たまに自分がどうしようもない something like "I'm helpless (as a person)"? Also, what nuance does ではないか? as an ending give?

「そうとしか思えない時があるんだ」 - Is this "there are times when I can't think of anything else"

「とても、愛しく思えるんだよ」 - "I can think dearly"???

「辛いことや悲しいことは、僕が旅をしている以上必ず、行く先々にたくさん転がっているものだと思っている。」
What does 以上 do in this sentence?
Is it something like, "I think that I will definitely meet painful and sad experiences on my travels"?

「それをしているのは楽しいし、例えば人を殺める必要があっても、それを続けたいと思えるしね。」
I'm having trouble understanding the middle part. Is it, "Because doing this is fun, for example, even if I needed to murder someone, I would probably still continue".

Get a text with a fixed number of words or a text you can throw into a Word Processor to count characters.

Then read for X minutes and see how long you get. It's not rocket science.

if the second one is following the first one continuously, I think like this.

僕はね、たまにそうとしか思えない時があるんだ
as for me, it sometimes happens that I consider so/it/that(そう)

what's (そう)? => 自分がどうしようもない愚かで矮小な奴ではないか (whether or not I'm a fool)

>愛おしく思える
probably, this means I can find it adorable/precious etc...

>以上
this means condition like as long as, provided that, if, when, during etc.

>the last one
just to let me arrange those translated parts

because doing this is fun, not only that, I would never stop even if I had to murder someone in order to do this.

but this might be a terrible hit or a helpless, irrelevant suggestion.

hint*

As experienced learners, what would you say is the hardest part about teaching yourself Japanese?

I'm not an expert at all.

But I have the hardest time figuring out when I can leave particles like na, no and wo out. Sometimes you can even choose, so I'm still not sure what's going on.

is Sup Forums djt kill?

It's not funny when it's real.

Daily reminder to give preference to kanji words.

Shit, there will be a power maintenance cut for 4 hours tomorrow (morning) and I need to sleep REALLY bad. I hope I can wake up in time to do my reps, as power will only return after the deadline.

Don't let this thread die again, faggots, oyasumigoodnight.

俺のちんぽは凄く大きいな、みんな

どうしようもない is a set phrase and I think it works as an adjective artificially.
And in the case of that sentence, 以上 works like a conjunctive particle for example からには.

I think 「それを続けたいと思えるしね」is an expression of ambiguous.
I think that sentence isn't necessarily a result for それをしているのは楽しいし.
"~し、~し" is a sentence for parallel conjunctive particle.
In the story, I guess that a life is compared to a travel.
There is not relation of cause and effect between 旅が楽しいこと and 旅を続けること clearly.
I think that part is depending on translater's point of view a little.

You don't need help.
It is a matter for joy.

For me the hardest part has been speaking. I don't have anyone to practice with, and I have no motivation to look. It's not a skill I need at the moment, but someday I might.

Why is 次 pronounced つに ?

It's not.

Thanks, I'm not losing my mind then. Both the Jisho and Anki audio pronounce it like つに for some reason.

wtf?

私のにほのごは最高です

Could someone please tell me what this means? She's taking the star woman? 星女受ける What? They're talking about school I think so maybe it's a test or it's like valedictorian or something?

(g) sounds turn nasal in spoken Japanese.

It's the name of the school, probably an admission test or something.

Alright, I thought it might be something like that. Thanks.

sometimes
and still doesn't sound like n

Yeah. It's a mix of n and g sound. We actually have that sound when a word starts with ng (e.g. Ngipin - [Teeth]). I notice that the g sound in Japanese is always normal when the sound is at the start of the word.

>I notice that the g sound in Japanese is always normal when the sound is at the start of the word.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true at least when the word IS something like が (either the particle or "moth")

Nigga that's つぎ, as in like next.

You got problems if you are are confusing に with ぎ.

see

What's the difference between Sup Forums /djt/ and /jp/ /djt/?

What do I do when all my friends call me a weeaboo for learning Japanese

Develop self-awareness.

are they wrong? there aren't many other reasons why an american would bother

Is there a way to sort the deck in the guide where it follows the steps?

I remember when I first started years ago it did (or mismatched memory). However right now I'm getting stuff all over the place like 確かめる is in my first 40.

Not implying that some words are intrinsically harder than others but I'm bothered I'm seeing Core 6000 Step 09 - 144.

>friends
?!

Well cause statically you are. Are you learning it so you can better enjoy your hobby (video games, anime, etc..). Then you're a fucking weeaboo because you learned a whole fucking language just for that.

Or do you actually plan to live in Japan or have a job that involves learning Japanese such as an interpreter.

Option to show new cards in order added.

Tell them you need to improve your memory skills.

I'm learning it because after english it's the language I encounter the most on the internet and I want to read it, but I'd be lying if I said it would be nice for anime too. Am I a weeaboo?

>>if I said
if I didn't say

Katakana #4

Today we will cover タ・ta, チ・chi, ツ・tsu, テ・te, ト・to.

タ is derived from 多い・タ・おおい・many. The タ radical is a simplified pictogram of two pieces of 肉・ニク・meat. Unfortunately this タ radical shares the same pictogram as the 月・つき・crescent moon. Just be aware that タ can refer to meat or moon. 多 is used in many words that involve many things and is similar to the English prefix 'multi-'. 多数決・たすうけつ・majority rule, 多少・たしょう・amount/quantity, 多様・たよう・diverse/varied, 多数・たすう・great number.

チ is derived from 千・セン・ち・thousand. 千 shows a 人・ひと man and two 一・いち one lines, the first representing one and the second representing counting beyond one. Most kanji use the セン reading, but place names like 千島・ちしま・Kurile Islands, will use the kun reading. To remember this kana just remember the チ kanji.

I explained that ツ is derived from 川・かわ・セン・river in a previous lesson when comparing it to シ・shi. The modern on reading of 川 is セン, but the old Chinese reading is /*t.l̥u[n]/, which became ‹tsyhwen› in middle Chinese and is now chuān in modern Pinyin. There is no good mnemonic to remember this kana. It is best to memorise this one by itself.

テ is derived from 天・テン・あまつ・heaven. 天 shows a 大 ・ダイ man with outstretched arms looking up toward 一・ひとつ heaven. Two Japanese words make particular use of 天 including 天気・テンキ・weather and 天国・テンゴク・heaven. Another word you can remember is 天使・テンシ・angel.

ト is derived from 止まれ・とまれう・シ・stop/halt. 止 has two etymological roots, the first is a pictogram of a footprint and the second shows a 足・あし・foot stopping at a 一・ひとつ・line. The easiest way to remember this katakana is to think of トマレ or stop.

以上

HELP

I've been doing Core6K with fantastic retention up until now, but I just hit a lesson with the following in it:
産業
規則
企業
作業
経営
習慣
経済
経験

Shit all looks the fucking same, they have broadly similar meanings, and I'm just not remembering it at all.
How the fuck do I deal with this?

This is why I never bought the whole "learn kanji while you learn words at the same time" meme.

You can do it!
産 is pronounced the same as in 生産 and carries the same meaning: products.
規則 was a very hard card for me, often had to spend a minute remembering the pronunciation. Later there are words that use 規 so that helps.
作 appears in more words soon, pretty easy.

Anyway, this is a hard section of the deck. You'll remember these eventually.

>This is why
Why?

Perhaps, because there are words of 先生 and 受ける in this conversation, we guess it can be a conversation about an entrance examination.
A girls' school is called as 女子校 in Japanese,
and ○○女子校 is called as ○女 for shorten, and it's pronounced as 'blah-jo'.
Therefore we can guess that word is for example 星蘭女子高校, and so on.
'mom, I decided to sit for an entrance examination of 星蘭女子高校.'

あかん!

I've explained some of these before, but it seems you are not listening.

業 is 丵 thick grass and 巾 hanging scroll. Literally shows someone advertising their grass/feed (hay) and means business/vocation. You can see this ぎょう・ごう pronunciation evolution from the Chinese Min Nan gia̍p.

産 is from 产 giving birth and 生 a sprout emerging from the ground. Together these mean 産 giving birth/life to something.

企 is 人 a collection of men 止 stopping to think. 企 means scheming or planning.

作 is a 人 man doing something 作 for the first time/suddenly. 作 making, building, producing something.

産業 is giving life to business - industry.

企業 is many men planning to do business - enterprise, corporation.

作業 is doing business with production - manufacturing/operations.

Brute forcing kanji is going to kill retention. You need to understand every radical, every story and how they blend together.

You want to write this shit eventually right? Without knowing the radicals you won't be able to write these kanji.

Everybody is trying to shortcut Japanese, but you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Kanji takes time and without understanding the parts you are only going to hit a wall and lose motivation.

Japanese people can write the kanji without knowing the radicals and stories.

Stories can be distracting if you focus on them too much, so it's probably best to save them for areas of particular difficulty.

They can't. Your average post college Japanese person can only write about 1000 kanji. Less than 1% even care about the stroke orders.

I'm getting sick of this argument. I spent a year in a Japanese school. I taught Japanese students for 3 years.

Do you have 6 years of 10 hour school days and cram school on weekends? Most Japanese don't even remember large amounts of rarer Kanji after they leave university. They just forget because the Japanese school and education system is busted beyond repair. ROTE is inefficient. It doesn't work. Habits die if you don't keep them up. You are trying to brute force images into your head without adequate connections.

Your brain just isn't equipped to hold onto so many visual patterns. I know over 65000 English words and I still can't spell 'independent' and I still forget words like 'superstition'. How do you think you will fair with blobs of ink? I'll tell you - you won't. You will fail and give up.

Japanese people will write out a single kanji more than 10000 times before it becomes familiar enough to write unconsciously. Do you have time to write out 20 million Kanji? Do you have enough years to learn 2000 different stroke orders? It's dumb. It's inefficient. It's a waste of time.

There are simple rules that govern Kanji. Rules Japanese don't teach because they are Chinese rules. Japanese stubbornness is part of the problem.

We invented algorithms and formulas for a reason; to make life simpler.

Stop being stubborn and listen to reason.

They don't distract. They reinforce.

>I'm getting sick of this argument. I spent a year in a Japanese school. I taught Japanese students for 3 years.
And yet you still have no self awareness.
Fuck off already, obnoxious cunt.

Well I don't have any problem with the words "independent" or "superstition", and I probably haven't even written them 10,000 times in my life, so I guess I'll be fine.

You'll get better as you learn more words with those kanjis.

Both 産 and 業
Both 規 and 則

Both 経 and 営
Both 習 and 慣

I've learned several words with all kanji in this pool you pasted, and I don't mix them up at all anymore.

If you focus on what you forget rather than what you remember, you will never learn Japaneeze.

Find better friends

I look up the meaning of every newly encountered radical and learn it if the meaning helps me understand the meaning of the kanji that it appears in. Thus a lot of kanji are more than blobs. Yes many kanji are blobs more or less but I don't see the problem with that. If my goal is to be fluent then I don't think learning radicals stories will help me achieve that goal faster. The stories are often too abstract.
As long as I'm on the same level as a Japanese person it's fine because they have no problem with their language and so neither will I.

I don't think this hostility is warranted. He's posting content that some people may find useful. If you personally don't need his content that doesn't make it a good idea to tell him to fuck off. I only read 5% of his posts but I don't mind.

Hello. Please convince your retarded brethren on /jp/'s /djt/ to return to here.
Thank you.

Hello. Please go fuck yourself.
Thank you.

>I know over 65000 English words and I still can't spell 'independent' and I still forget words like 'superstition'

I got through the comparisons section of TK but I'm confused about one thing. Does this make sense?

>Xは大好き。Yより高いけど、もっとおいしい。
>I love X. It's not as expensive as Y, but it's tastier.

Is it understood by context that I'm comparing to X? Or do I need to say something like

>Xは大好き。Yより高いけど、Xの方がおいしい。

は and が still screw with me so don't mind those mistakes if there are any ..

translated that wrong, meant to say "It's more expensive than Y"

The former is enough except a part of the reverse of price.

English speakers, how can you memorize spelling of "necessarily"? any means is no good

That's easy. But I hate beginning, millennial and asymmetrically.

As someone who thinks in text rather than concepts/pictures, usually I find it easy to remember how to write stuff correctly, though. Always had a knack for Portuguese since an early age, teachers loved me to the point kids hated me.

Kanji will take some time, I'll rote my way to native recognition then study then carefully so I can grammar nazi in Nippongo as well.

>how can you memorize spelling of
Pattern recognition.
>neccesarily
^ Just looks wrong. I just keep retrying until necessarily comes out and I think "yeah, that looks good."

loiing
his explaining is absolutely wrong

watch this
ameblo.jp/happy2525tkg/entry-11165148231.html

You Are a Liar

X is more expensive than Y, but X is more delicious.
Yより高いけど、(Xの方が)おいしい。

In Japanese, Subjects are often omitted.
The two sentences have the same meaning.
you see?

Fuck you, man, you have never been to Japan like he has, what do you know about Japanese?

i am a native Japanese
bye bye