Other urls found in this thread:

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8
youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-lNHeDnf8
youtube.com/watch?v=m_0K7j0sdL4
youtube.com/watch?v=xZzy7dd35qo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Herbie guy is in the house!

Will help out/answer questions for anyone who wants to get into Mr. Hancock

Guide posted to the left. Spotify playlist below.

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8

Bumping for O.P.

sorry i was kinda busy with christmas and stuff, making the chart for you rn

Oh really? Thanks man. I appreciate that.

I'm bad at searching my dudes.
Is there a download of the '59-79 essential list?

and I do realise I can just go on rutracker and get it all separetely, I just want to know if there's a mega or something

What makes this better than any of the hundreds of other jazz albums released in the last few years?

Are you implying that album is better than Herbie?

(But serious non meme question: what's that album like? I see it a lot)

Bump god damn it someone else on here has to listen to jazz.

What do you guys think of Anna Högberg Attack?

youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-lNHeDnf8

youtube.com/watch?v=m_0K7j0sdL4

youtube.com/watch?v=xZzy7dd35qo

I think it's incredible. A really great album from one of Mats Gustafsson's proteges.

there you go famalam

You are a fucking Saint. I love you man. Thank you so much.

Gotta bump so I can save the Herbie guide later. (Not at home ATM so I can't save it)

Hitting random notes on the sax and piano isn't Jazz user

>what's that album like?
Overrated by people who don't know jazz.

Hey Herbie guy. Just curious if you're ever planning to listen to any jazz that doesn't have some sort of Hancock connection? Like, are you interested in the genre in general now, or is it just Double H who gets you going?

No judgement - just wondering.

It was double H that got me interested in the genre because of his versitity (and also synths. I love synths) but I am more than willing to listen to other jazz.

I have listened to jazz albums rec'd to me in chart threads. There was one from a drummer I forgot the name of that I really enjoyed. And I have tried to listen to more Miles.

So once you've completely exhausted Herbie are you going to move onto someone else or are you done following one performer now?

You fucked up. There's two sections.

Actually good: Maiden Voyage, Empyrean Isles

Trash: All the other albums

Jazz, and jazz music.

I follow artists discographies (regardless of genre) all the time. It's how I've always collected discographies. I already know who I'm collecting next but it's not a jazz artist.

I don't like this taste.

name a better bassist

pro tip

you

cant

I recently got super into Money Jungle, what other Duke Ellington is good? I listen to more fusion and experimental jazz stuff (particularly Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, and John Zorn), but I also really like more traditional jazz too.

>what other Duke Ellington is good?

everything.

but check out "side by side" and another album with coltrane

>everything
The problem is he has SO MANY albums, it's hard to know where to start. I'll check those out though, thanks, I'm a big Coltrane fan too.

Wanted to ask you how you made this chart. Did you just use MS Paint or what? You did a great job on it

i used paint.NET, which is basically gimp for people who dont know how to use gimp, which is basically photoshop for people who dont know how to use photoshop

Can someone give me a runthrough of why Smooth Jazz isn't Jazz?
It always felt like the opposite argument of people arguing why free jazz isn't jazz, which I agree with. Please convince me.

It's more lite jazz flavored easy listening than actual jazz. However, there is a lot of jazz that can seem like smooth jazz on the surface, but actually has a lot more depth (such as Pat Metheny).

It's kinda like how Nickleback isn't really metal.

Is that a program or a website?
If it's a website I'm going to it.

(I know this is a real dick move but I realized too late that there's 1 more album I needed to add and I don't wanna push you to fix it)

So in your opinion, it's just a case of how much harmonic depth the song has?
Wouldn't that create a super thin (as well as subjective) line between what people consider smooth or not?

It's not just harmonic depth, I meant depth as in musical substance, which can sometimes include harmonic depth. Like I said, there's some music that can sound like smooth jazz if you're not paying attention. I'd put Chuck Mangione in that category too.

which album is it? and no its a software, but its completely free and light and easy to use

I was gonna put 'New Standard (1997) in the standard section

If you could do it I would REALLY appreciate it, but if you don't want to I completely understand you've already done so much for me.

define random

>random

(Herbie guy)

I collect vinyl records randomly/just based on cover. I like surprises. I'm listening to pic related right now. Got it from my grandpa.

>toe thumb

My thumbs not ugly leave me alone.

The Blanton/Webster band recordings are a good place to start

Anyone got any albums to share?

Also, Merry Christmas.

Who wrote the best standards and why was it Irving Berlin

would you consider John Zorn jazz?

Hey /jazz/ can you recommend me some jazz. I'm new to this genre, but I like metal and pic related is one of my favorite bands. I also really like the odd time signatures. The more fucked the time signatures the better.

It's okay, but not great. Not worth listening to over any big name artist with decent chops. Some of the writing is pretty good (The magnificent 7 is super fun to perform yourself), but Kamasi is a lackluster player.

This pretty cool

max roach

what do you people think of Charles Mingus? I got this on vinyl for Christmas,and I kind of like it

anyone on here actually know anything about jazz?

Does knowing Herbie Hancock's discography like the back of your hand count?

lucky motherfucker, id get blues and roots if i were you though

no because he's a mediocre jazz musician who was in a great combo like 50 years ago

Rec me something like Glass Bead Game, please.

>Herbie
>Mediocre

I play jazz and I like to listen to it if too, if that counts.

is free jazz the most patrician jazz? if not, what is?

I know Julian Lage is a really interesting guitarist. I like his stuff with Eric Harland.

big band swing

Probably big band. You have the most room for orchestration and can use more composed parts along with improvisation.

I would say third-stream post-bop, since it blends the most group interaction with the most compositional complexity, at least assuming patrician implies something about taste and thus that the most patrician would be most appreciated with extensive musical knowledge. If it's just what's the hardest to get into I'd say it's some minimalist free jazz that isn't abrasive in the sense that metal is.

Can I have a GOAT big band album.

Ellington at Newport
Let My Children Hear Music

Currently listening to my 1968 OG copy of Heavy Sounds that my boss gifted me for free because i've been "kicking ass"

Working at a jazz heavy record store is bliss

You might like Gary Bartz's stuff, specifically his first couple albums "Libra" and "Another Earth"

Thanks!

I like this general
I'm too drunk to contribute, but I like you all

This probably goes without saying but be sure to check out Coltrane's work as well if you haven't.

Thad Jones's Big Band is widely considered to be one the most innovative and creative big bands ever and the last great big band.

Check out Central Park North or if you can make it to New York on a Monday night check em out live.

Yes