I haven't used Windows for years. Why haven't you replaced your Windows with a superior Linux os?

I haven't used Windows for years. Why haven't you replaced your Windows with a superior Linux os?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/
ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i cant afford to buy a pc with that os, is there a way to run linux on my pc?

Downloading, installing and actually running Linux is so ridiculously simple. Download the Linux iso from the site, mount it onto a Usb and relaunch the PC and just set the Usb stick as the default boot device.

The good video games.

because Linux is for autistics

shit is it really that simple?! Im ashamed, thank you goodsir

Because a lot of games and programs don't run Linux yet. Once I'm forced to get rid of Win 7 then I might switch to Linux. Hopefully more stuff will be supported for Linux by then

Linux is fine until you want to play videogames.

Gentoo + Fluxbox

/thread

What distributive do you use, mate? Looks pretty sexy

I want to be able to play vidya

What can Linux do much better than Windows?

I might consider making a partition for Linux if there are any good reasons.

You seem lost this isn't Sup Forums

Arch Linux with XFCE and Plank dock. If you're a noob you can just install Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

Basically everything. Even gaming is better with Linux, but developers are too used to DirectX.

blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Simpler file structure, repositories for software and lots of quick, powerful commands.

Got 2, one running pinguy OS and one running Arch Linux with gnome. I love Arch. Dead stable, fast and can be very lightweight. About to put sugar on a computer for my kid.

Enjoy not knowing how to compute winfags.

I liked CrunchBang but Windows 7 has never been less than perfect for me. Also knew a couple guys that seemed to cum whenever they told the mudbloods they used linux.

Many people I know using linux actly run Arch. Can you elaborate on why that is? Other than 'its for advanced users!'

because it's complicated and hard to install

>hard to install
>put on USB stick
>plug in
>install with GUI in about 10 clicks
>all drivers are already installed
>"complicated"

>opera
You have no voice in here

Honestly Dualboot is the way to go. Linux based OSs are pretty fun to dick around with. It's what I use most but windows is useful for when I want to game.

I just run OS X with brew. UNIX file structure and a not shitty terminal, like Linux, but widely-used enough that support is easy to find should I need it.

Well it's nice to meet you account name.

>Too hard
found the illiterate computerfag

Chrome is botnet. Firefox's blue tint sucks. The insecure put down to feel up. Three facts. Word to your mother.

Failing to put it on a usb stick, he can just order a ubuntu or linux mint dvd and boot from disc in the bios.

so if im loading linux off a usb and say i wanna game, can i switch back to windows easily or do i have to reinstall it? yes i know im an autist but your time is appreciated thanks.

should i install ubuntu or linux or is it the same thing?

Because you can set it up how you want. When you get done with an Arch install you have a single user account and a command line. You pick the GUI, you pick the file manager, etc. Essentially it is no more and no less than needed. It also forces you to learn the actual OS where as a more user friendly distribution holds the hands more and keeps the file editing locked behind the GUI. Arch is not appropriate for novice users, I would recommend Ubuntu, pinguy or mint for computer illiterate. Also Arch is rolling release so you always have the latest and greatest. Sometimes this cause issues that need to overcome but generally it just works as long as you aren't in the testing branch, which you would have to add to pacman manually.

Dual boot Linux and Ubuntu off the same partition, try them both out.

Vidya compatibility

use explorer. I use it and its fine. Probably the best browser out there

becuase its not 1997, and im not an edgy sperglord?

if linux developers can man installing programs as easy as windows (without command line) then and only then will linux be accepted as an alternative os to windows!

Ya. you have to partition your HD, and then install Ubuntu to the partitioned drive. After that, you can dick around with some settings on ubuntu, and when you reboot you can decide between linux or windows

>Dead stable

>implying that PC's and Macs aren't stable.

autism, in every linux thread since the beginning of time.

Ubuntu is a good starter distro. Linux mint XFCE is another solid choice especially on old hardware. Don't start with Gentoo or Arch or Slackware, you will drown and not like it. Most distros are so easy to install now.

Where to find non back-doored os if i dont want to write my own?

Ubuntu is a linux distribution. Linux is whats called a kernel. A kernel is basically the foundation of an operating system. It's what everything build off of. Ubuntu is just one type of "build" off of the "foundation"

Windows
>open web browser
>type in: 'best editing software'
>get program
>go to website
>download and install
>VIRUS WARNING
>repeat steps until you find correct program

Linux (Ubuntu)
>Open terminal
>sudo apt-get install program
>done

Or, if you're too retarded to do that:
>open software centre
>search for program
>click 'install'

Macs are stable, but also terribly made

thank you. im going to consider and look into this. good speed user.

You can. Ubuntu pretty much invented the app store concept with the Ubuntu software center. Just search and click and it installs. Just need your sudo password.

Vidya compatibility from major game devs is literally the only reason Windows is still dominant in the home pc market. Also only reason it still is competitive in enterprise is due to software lock this is why Windows is trying to push software as a service.

When you put the usb in and boot from it, it will load a live session and not touch your hard drive. This is a full desktop from where you can try it out then choose to install it. If you use any Ubuntu based distro, the installer will recognize Windows and sort out the partitioning for you or you can choose to erase everything.

This is the one thing that I love about Ubuntu and linux distros. It's a different way of getting things, but its so much cleaner. If you want to get rid of something its as simple as "sudo apt-get purge ___". No leftover files, no mess

>Linux
>Superior
Don't let your fat titties tell you lies OP. Go to the gym, quit your anime, throw away your dungeons and dragons bullshit and above all, uninstall Linux. Start becoming a man.

Yeah. Just search up a tutorial. It's easy enough

Theres a reason linux isnt popular.

(protip: its the smug wankers that already use it)

Of course Macs are stable it is a closed system. My Arch install has been more secure and more stable than any windows system I use. Including the corporate accounts I support at my job.

I didn't know this. I'm not the original user but I thought you had to partition the drive manually

It's actually because manufacturers don't ship it on most of their devices, because people have never heard of it.

And because people have never heard of it, there's no demand so they don't put it in devices.

Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux operating systems. Most are based on Debian (like Ubuntu) and many are based on Ubuntu (like Linux Mint). I would recommend Linux Mint as it is very welcoming for Windows users.

Download Pen Drive Linux and then download the os iso file.

can you make a tl;dr rampup between standard ubuntu vs xubuntu vs arch for me? I used xubuntu back in the days with my netbook which worked quite well and the xfce always looked great imo. Command line isnt a problem, but I enjoy drag and drop kind of usability in a gui

B8
if it's not, let the circlejerking gf-less weeaboos jerk each other.

listen pal ive delve into linux and each and everytime when i install any kind of driver has failed. did all the sudo bullshit and nothing. i download win drivers and click install and it installs just fine.

linux/ubuntu is like firefox but struggles to become popular as windows

I agree that it attracts some super nerd zealots. Almost saw a fist fight over a system V panel at a convention. But the fact remains that it does run most of the computers and phones in the world right now. It is the backbone of the internet.

One word - gaming

It's already dine. You can browse the Ubuntu Software Center in Ubuntu which is basically an app store with thousands of applications. Really not that hard.

>any kind of driver?
What, you mean the ones that are already installed on the base system?

"sudo bullshit". Lol. Sudo is the reason why Linux is so much less prone to getting viruses than Windows.

You can if you want but not needed for a base dual boot install. I usually do because I like my /home /boot / and swap to be on separate partitions. It really is like 10 clicks and 20 min to install from USB or live DVD.

Not b8 m8. I'm dead serious. I work with developers every day and all they whine about is why they never meet other people (meaning girls) and how they never fucked while they are 30+. I tell them this. Some follow and get fucked within a year (no kiddin) and others remain virgin for the rest of their lives.

Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop.
Xubuntu uses the XFCE desktop.

Both of those are highly useable and you can drag and drop on most desktop environments.

mac os x wannabe GTFO

For games Win7, for other shit Debian 8 + XFCE...No issues yet..

Why they don't put their salaries towards hookers is beyond understanding. Skip the bullshit and keep gentooing.

I don't use xubuntu. I can't comment on that. As for Arch from Ubuntu it is not that hard. The arch community has very excellent wiki articles on how to set up your system including what to do after you have a command prompt. The forums can be useful to but there are some elitist douchebag types in there. Ubuntu and Arch use different package managers. I like pacman and apt just as much as one another but I find pacman to get more done with less typing. Also Arch has the AUL for packages that you can't find on the main repos. If it is at all popular some one has rolled a package on AUR for it.

Once you install Arch you will get comfortable with the command line and probably just use it instead of the GUI as it is really less work. I highly recommend using Guake terminal, nice to be able to pull up a screen just by hitting f12.

I game on Arch by the way, I have a console for AAA titles I can't get on Linux. If you want to game I suggest a Nvidia card vs AMD as they have better drivers, at the expense of being closed source.

It's so fucking easy. You have no excuse. You can install Steam from the software center and no virus bullshit, no fragmenting hard drives ever with the ext4 filesystem. Even a 3yo could do this.

ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

But I am using Linux

because w7 is the comfiest OS ever to exist?

firefox lookin pretty skookum in dat linux

Nah try gnome with Nemo file browser and get back to me. Global search, powerful file management, fully customizable UI and workspace virtualization at a single button press is pretty damn comfy.

dont tell me what to do

Have you tried btrfs? I have been using it and it is pretty sweet. Nothing wrong with good old ext4 though.

thx for the insight

They really fucked up nautilus didn't they?

Why bother dual booting Linux when Win10 does everything I'd ever need from a PC? Sure let me just waste a bunch of space on my OS-SSD, sure faggot. Great idea!

>uses linux
>can't use good software cause it isn't exist

Not really my wife's comp has it. I just like Nemo better. Better options by default.

I cannot work out how to an address. It just uses buttons now to go up directories.

that dont sound comfy at all

No, what advantages? Need a filesystem that can ideally make unique ids of files so if you have duplicates, it won't take up more space. Maybe that's a long way away.

>use windows since forever
>start experimenting with ubuntu from a USB stick to see how linux is like
>works great for a month, then crashes and never boots up again, all my files lost, but whatever
>use windows again
>try installing ubuntu on a seperate partition, it doesn't want to. Need to sacrifice part of my main SSD for this.
>everythings well and good until system randomly decides to tell me i can't access certain programs, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
>research solution for days and finally fix problem
>repeat the last two steps three times until i can't even access my university Wifi, since all certificates cannot be accessed through file browser anymore because fuck me
>quit and return to win10: botnet edition

fuck off with linux. There is a reason it is free. No one would even drop ten bucks for a shitty OS, which randomly decides to fuck you over and can't even utilize graphical commands.
If we talkin server, it's of course different, but for home systems, it just is trash, plus games work like shit on linux.

Debian is a nightmare to install, but I love using it.

I have a shitty alienware laptop, if I put linux on it, could I still keep the lighting effects?

nah. unix disables key LED circuits.

I've never had a major problem (just silly minor annoyances). Maybe you had a kernel update in which case you can select the older one at boot. Don't see how you could lose files. Just use the usb os to get them back. Even encrypted ones are recoverable.

You can add additional drives to a partition seamlessly and painlessly. It has top notch error correction too. There are some other features that are quite frankly way over my pay grade that make it useful for containerization and server kinda shit. I like it for my ever expanding personal Netflix I have been building on my network. Over 7 TB of media goodness.

Does linux have support for Minecraft, CS:GO, GTA V, old Need For Speed games? If it does I would take a hit and see the performance. If not, well... Windows works..

>I work with developers every day
Then you are probably also a neckbeard

Dell have support for Linux. You will need to look up more info. Usually things just work and do their main purpose but not always the extra things.

Ever since I installed Mythbuntu my hemorrhoids have been popping and pussing all over the place. Definitely wont use it again.

>use linux since forever
>start experimenting with Windows 7 from a VM to see how linux is like
>Works great for a week, then crahses and never boots up again, all my files lost, but whatever
>Use Linux again
>Try installing Windows on a separate partition, it doesn't want to. Need to sacrifice part of my main SSD for this
>It deletes my boot manager for no real reason and replaces it one that only detects Windows for some reason
>Have to search online on how to fix this stupid Window's "Feature"
>Besides that everythings well and good until system randomly decides to tell me i can't access certain programs, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt
>research solution for days and finally find there's not fix to the problem
>Windows has a virus and I have to reformat my HardDrive
>Lose all programs,files,etc AGAIN
>quit and return to Linux

fuck off with windows. There is a reason it comes free on every computer. No one would even drop ten bucks for a shitty OS, which randomly decides to fuck you over and cant even utilize command line commands.

Not GTA V but Minecraft is available on Linux. If you're gaming may as well have a separate Windows machine for gaming.

i meant all the files i acquired on the seperate OS partition Ubuntu makes independently of all existing ones. It wasn't the important since i had backups of my workfiles, but the work i put into the OS and the stuff i amounted in that time was lost.
I don't know why Linux hates me. In fact i want to use linux to learn more about the actual processes of an OS. It is fascinating and interesting, but the way it fucks me over, i just can't see it happen.

Minecraft is not for me, it's for my little bro. I play CS:GO and GTA V all day. I have 6 different fully functional towers but the one both of us use is of course the best. I'll test it on one of the others.