Which is better

which is better

best psych rock band of the 2010s, discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V4Kb8wF_EFU
youtube.com/watch?v=VNV8E7yUbtw
youtube.com/watch?v=cLsCrysrvuQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

King Gizzard for pretty much every reason.

You've heard lonerism, r-right?
youtube.com/watch?v=V4Kb8wF_EFU

anco sucks

Yep

Lonerism era Tame Impala were better than King Gizzard at that time. But KGatLW have since surpassed them in just about every way. If their plan to release 5 albums next year goes off without a hitch, and they're all good LPs, then they will undoubtedly be the better band.

yeah but gizz hasnt been good since float along...

pretty sure i'm in your mid fuzz and nonagon infinity are two of their best desu

and yeah tame impala is probably better but personally i like king gizzard better.

I dunno man, I really got into Nonagon Infinity. And it's as much Tame Impala getting worse as anything else (they are solid Triple J-core these days). KGatLW are more willing to 'experiment', even if they don't ever stray too far, and I kinda respect that.

>KGatLW are more willing to 'experiment',
kevin parker has experimented with every album hes put out though. currents may not have the best songwriting but it certainly 'sounds' better than lonerism debatably
youtube.com/watch?v=VNV8E7yUbtw

nonagon infinity was average at best, easily Tame Impala

Kevin has only made one album that isn't great

I don't think any psych album can touch Innerspeaker.

I won't go that far but I defintely think it's the best modern (2010-2016) psych album we've gotten so far

I think Paper Mache is way better than any of their other releases, but I guess I'm the only one that thinks that seeing as I never see it talked about. I think King Giz is able to amass more diverse material but a lot of it is (especially lately) is really simplistic and repetitive (see Nonagon Infinity and their new single Rattlesnake) I think Tame Impala releases waaaay better albums with more complex songwriting rather than verse chorus jam verse chorus like King Gizzard. I think them releasing 5 albums this year is too much because all their songs on those albums are going to be extremely repetive because they've spread themselves too thin (Rattlesnake is like a 7 min song while it only has enough components to makeup a good like 3 min song). They did the same thing on Quarters, which I thought made the album pretty unlistenable (other than The River).

i can only imagine that you don't listen to a lot of psych albums

If you seriously think Tame Impala is better than King Gizzard you should get the fuck outta here and go back to fucking Instagram or Reddit.

I honestly don't I came in this thread for some recs actually

i bet youve never even heard lonerism ha ha plen
youtube.com/watch?v=cLsCrysrvuQ

what the fuck do you guys even mean
it borrows some pedal effects from old popular psych-pop acts
but apart from that it's a huge fucking stretch to call tame impala psych

they've got nothing on most modern psych acts, let alone the fact they aren't playing that style

then what's modern psych in your opinion? Actually asking

sorry, i only saw a couple of posts

more accurately, neither king gizzard nor tame impala are psych bands

though both are fine (enjoy them as much as you want) but seriously, neither of them are psych - they're just inspired by those sounds

Shit 70s rip off

GET THE FUCK OUT

They are a bunch of stoner hipster kids they don't know what they are talking about

these threads are always full of people shit talking TI for a hundred posts straight but no one posts actually good modern psychedelic bands

i'm not a big psych guy and i don't think any bands playing it in the 21st century have had enough acclaim (yet) that they've become household names

but you know who is big into psych... the main man piero.

a small handful in the 'not yet rated' section are psych (haven't heard all of them, no guarantees, but i bet some of it is good shit)

Like most popular band threads on Sup Forums?

>I think Paper Mache is way better than any of their other releases
Kek that and their first album are probably tied for the worst

>I think them releasing 5 albums this year is too much because all their songs on those albums are going to be extremely repetive because they've spread themselves too thin
Have to agree with you there

name one song from the 70s that sounds even remotely close to that.. go ahead, I'll wait

yeah kek

Lol thanks for responding at least, why don't you like Paper Mache?

i have a theory - i'm sure with a bit of research it'd have some weight too

the reason for the real lack of well-known genuinely-psych psych bands comes down to a couple of core reasons, I'm guessing

1) wrong Western sociopolitical climate - different from the 60s and 70s at least (late capitalism something something civil unrest something something moral paralysis something something escapism)

and

2) popularity of other leftfield genres in its place - i.e. why get fucked on opiates and listen to The Red Krayola when i can listen to some drone or free improv instead

boogarins

>it borrows some pedal effects from old popular psych-pop acts but apart from that it's a huge fucking stretch to call tame impala psych
using effects pedals to recreate the ideas and feels of psych is exactly what s psych band does, idiot

i dare you to look into yourself and see if you really believe everything you said

I think most of the songs that feature the flute (especially first 4 tracks) kinda suck. Trapdoor and N.G.R.I. are pretty good though. I feel like the whole flute feature thing was one of their least effective album "themes" and it gets kind of repetitive. idk that's mostly just opinion though. what do you like about it?

i stand by what I said, gizzard is no exception the lead guitarist plays through effects pedals to try and sound like a sitar, very popular during the first wave of psych music, and not only that they incorporate Hinduistic signatures and changes in their songs, notably on their newest track 'nuclear fusion' , eastern music was also hugely popular in the period and gizzard isn't the first one to do that either, bands like the Brian Jonestown massacer have pay tribute in that way as well

Nah I totally get that, the way you feel about the first 4 tracks is how I felt about like half of Nonagon. It's funny tho cause the first four tracks on Paper Mache are my favorites off that album, I guess I just really vibe with the flute/woodwind/acoustic feel, but hey that's just taste. I also just really like how they hop around to different acoustic stylings on it; the first four tracks along with cold cadaver (with a harmonica rather than a flute) and time=fate/$$$ are the same but kinda meh, but they are all that flute-y psychedelic vibe, trapdoor is its own crazy ass category, bitter boogie is like pseudo-southern acoustic blues, NGRI is like an upbeat, more creepy acoustic rock song, most of what I like is a chill acoustic song, and Paper Mache is a nice flute medley which recaps the entire album (cause yaknow, like Paper mache). I also thought it was clever/funny how they sped up the medley at the end of the song and ended the album with an explosion.