Until last week I wanted to have indefinite lifespan...

Until last week I wanted to have indefinite lifespan, get a synthetic body and live until the end of the Universe to be there to discover and see the wonders of the Universe. I wanted to change the world, promote unification and egalitarianism of the human race. Travel to another planet. Form a family. Travel the world. Try new things. Learn new things. Experience virtual worlds and different realities.

But now the nihilistic perspective struck me. Why? Why would I want to do all those things? What's the point? What would I get? Happiness? Pleasure? Why would I want happiness? Why would I want others to be happy? Why should I care about other people? Why should I care about myself? Happiness is just an illusion, free will is an illusion, pleasure is an illusion, love is an illusion, sadness is an illusion, fear is an illusion, suffering is an illusion, and we are just a bunch of atoms trying to maximize entropy. Nothing has intrinsic meaning nor value. If the only way to create your own meaning and value is based on your own happiness, how can I create my own value knowing that emotions are just an evolutionary biological illusions to keep us running on the treadmill of life to maximize our chance to pass down our gene pool?

And now I have very little motivation to keep studying or doing anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism#Concepts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Søren_Kierkegaard#Later_20th_century_reception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism
youtube.com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I also think like this OP...

Time to kill yourself, OP.

you're an idiot

the only point to life is LEGACY. When all things are said and done, it is our legacy that stays behind.

ITT: babby's first existencial crisis. Way to be a cliche, OP.

op we are humans, dont try to be more thank a human

Don't let the existential dread set it OP.
I suggest reading Alan Watts - Wisdom of Insecurity.
It deals with the kinds of stuff you're having trouble with.

/thread

Hedonist here.
> I once had an ice cream. As I was eating it, I realized it wasn't going to last forever. In disgust, I threw it to the floor.
Greentext guy is an idiot. Yeah it doesn't last forever. Accrue hedons for the sake of hedons. Things only have meaning insofar as you give them meaning ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴀᴛ "ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢ" ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴡᴀs ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ғɪʀsᴛ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ. Yes, free will is an illusion in the sense that you must obey the laws of physics which determine what the particles in your brain will do. No, free will is ɴᴏᴛ an illusion in the sense that you are unique in the universe and the only thing at the center of your light cone capable of performing those calculations to determine what it is you will decide. That's ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴡᴇʀᴇ. You are the particles and physics that do the determining of what you do. Your thoughts ᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴘʀᴏᴄᴇss ᴀs ɪᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴs.

Whoever is posting these pictures, keep them comin'!

If it makes you feel any better you are born just early enough that you will not be immortal.

Life extension and mind uploading that will eventually allow immortality is in the works, but even if you live to 100, you will be too late.

There is no point. But I like to know stuff, even if that has no point. So why even bother? Do what you like.

mind uploading doesn't really count...it's a copy, not the original

>how can I create my own value

You create it by persuing the things you believe are important to you or hold value to you.

Natural selection is not just about who is physically or biologically fit to survive but also who is mentally fit to survive. Those that see no point to living are not useful to society or the genepool.

It's good enough for me. I'd upload my mind in a heartbeat and not stop to consider philosophical ramifications.

My subjective view would see my consciousness continuing.

Fan-fucking-tastic, good sir!

Here's a way to think to destroy that view.
There is no reason to do anything, no reason you would want anything, there's nothing deeper than what you see here.
Things like to change until they are at rest, so must you, change until you are at rest. If you're not changing then you are at rest.

it's really just an upload of the past...can you be so sure they copy the style of your thoughts and actions future tense? it could misrepresent you...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism#Concepts
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Søren_Kierkegaard#Later_20th_century_reception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism

"The common thread in the literature of the existentialists is coping with the emotional anguish arising from our confrontation with nothingness, and they expended great energy responding to the question of whether surviving it was possible. Their answer was a qualified 'Yes,' advocating a formula of passionate commitment and impassive stoicism." -Alan Pratt

Read up, OP. Seriously, everyone has these thoughts at some point. If you stare too hard, nothing seems to matter, and yet as humans we care deeply about many things. The inherent meaninglessness of everything is kind of off-putting for a while, but your human nature will allow you to make peace with it or ignore it.

Forge your own purpose and meaning. It is quite freeing.

i dont even mean to be rude, but are you sure you are supposed to be on this website? its 18+, you know

More??

unfortunately not...

man can anyone make a vola for all these chicks?

PLEASE REMIND ME WHAT A WHORE I AM

Is anyone really even here at all?

***************PLEASE SEE PIC RELATED***************

TRIPS = TRUTH

Happy nihilist here.

Things don't have to have a point to be enjoyable. Meaning is not required to be happy.

The belief that meaning and purpose are necessary to be happy is just a perspective.

This is an interesting point.

Living forever means you can keep getting money. Money lets you buy goods and services.

Goods and services are fun and can be a range of different things.

The only reason to live forever is to spend money.

We are the universe trying to understand itself. It's a pretty good meaning of life, isn't it?

YOU'RE A FUCKING FORGETFUL WHORE!!!

All of these are correct and you should pay attention OP.

In the end, we all just die...

This is deep stuff, but then there's this and because of that...I feel nothing

ya its crazy how atoms and molecules (space dust) decided to just group together and create intelligent organic machines. Also there has never been a case where life was created from nothing.

I'm here for these awesome pictures,

Me2 user...me2

jesus user, get a grip

At some point you all will grow out of puberty.

www .youtube. com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4

This says it well.

It's never about the destination. It's about the journey. It's about how you get there and what you accomplished along the way. How will you live your life? Sulking? Hah. Might as well throw it away now.

I recommend you read 'The Way Of The Peaceful Warrior'. There's a pdf online. You'll see what I mean.

Use this knowledge of nothing having intrinsic value to realize that this means you have literally unlimited potential to do whatever you want.

True Detective. Not troll.

youtube.com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4

>At some point you will just stop giving a shit

Fixed

Wtf....girl on left has her tits blurred out. Post without the blur.

LOL I remember when I was 12 I sounded like this.

tell that to the billions of people whose name nobody remembers anymore
or how much do you think you have in common with your great-grandfather?

Just because life is pointless doesn't mean you can't have fun. That just makes it more fun.

Every so often, people become nihilists and wonder why they should do anything.
Eventually though, they get hungry, and abandon nihilism in favor of hedonism.

Don't be sad. Almost every atom in our body is replaced after 3 years, so the question is: what are we, uf we aren't matter? It's simple. We are Information processing operations. If our life (or operation) ends, our dataoutput exists anyway and is used for further information processing operations.

Actually maximizing entropy can be a goal, or decreasing it. No one really knows what will happen, but if you push one way or another you might hit something. Honestly I think interaction with other humans and art have the most influence on entropy, that and colonizing space.

There is no original you. If there is can I speak to him?

This

wow, perfect!!!

If you write a book would you really care if you were the same person that wrote it? What if you're dead, would you care then?

Can you stop spamming pics so we can have a discussion?