What does Sup Forums think of Weezer?

What does Sup Forums think of Weezer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4spkVX8z-vs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

best band ever

Blue album, pinkerton, and white album are all great. Their other albums are... Not so good

Asking what this board thinks of Weezer is like asking your grandad to tell you his war stories again

b-but I'm new and I've never heard my grandad's war stories

Blue is a very good power pop album that is unfairly elevated in stature compared to its peers. It's bothersome because I do really love it but no-one's gonna mention it in thesame breath as The Posies, Teenage Fanclub, Jellyfish or Third Eye Blind, all of whom released similarly great albums around that era.

Pinkerton is more of a unique beast because it crosses that power pop with an emo rawness in a way that has never really been successfully replicated.

Everything else ranges from bland to awful, although their last 2 albums have been pretty enjoyable for fans.

I loved Pinkterton, Blue & White album but haven't bothered to listen to much more of them. Maybe I should.

You've pretty much heard everything worth hearing. About half of EWBAITE was pretty great, although the other half is cringe.

They haven't put out one fire single between Pinkerton and EWBAITE? Did Rivers talent just suddenly disappear and decide to show up again this year?

does anyone know anything like this except medieval?

Pretty much. He was majorly butthurt about the backlash Pinkerton got and it fucked him up for a long time

There's links to some forum from the early 00's where he was trashing the first 2 albums and going on about creating the perfect pop song. The result of his crazy was Green, one of the dullest most uninspired albums I've ever heard. Then things got really embarrassing around Make Believe. There's a couple of nice tunes here and there like Island in the Sun and Perfect Situation but it's still leagues below the early stuff

reminder that not trying, ignoring music nerds and being your own critic is the most important thing.

pretty adequate
don't get the hype at all

Weezer [DGC, 1994] :(

Maladroit [Geffen, 2002]

Down from 48 percent to 35 at amiannoying.com, not because they're less annoying but because they're less successful. Annoying they remain, and not, annoying webmaster, because they gigged as Goat Punishment or--who cares?--lost their bass player to the Rentals. They're annoying because Rivers Cuomo is the punk Tom Scholz--a solitary genius in love with big and precise. In Boston's arena-rock, this made sense even though it was annoying. In Weezer's arena-punk (slightly more arena on this outing, and less annoying as a result), it totally misses the point, which from the Ramones to the Libertines has been to achieve concision and economy while just barely remaining erect. Onstage, that is. How Cuomo has comported himself in other areas of endeavor I haven't a clue. B-

pretty decent, but like other people I don't get how people can get obsessed with the band.

I find Blue Album and Pinkerton to be the same quality-wise, no improvement or fall from one to the other. obviously different in style (pinkerton has that midwest emo feel fused into it) but aside from that, alrightttttt

my fav song by them:
youtube.com/watch?v=4spkVX8z-vs

Why is this hack still alive?

this desu

What band do you obsess over?

i like their cover of paranoid android

"During our early days gigging in Los Angeles, we got a lot of negative reception from audiences. I didn't understand it either because a lot of the songs we played were the same ones that later became hits for us. They all just wanted to hear grunge songs."

-- Rivers Cuomo

I guess he's saying that punk rock is supposed to be at least somewhat on the raw, unpolished side and that Weezer are too slick, thus missing the point of punk.

I thought the Buddy Holly music video was the greatest thing ever made in 9th grade, but for some reason I didn't really venture any further than that.

Recently I actually listened to the blue album. It's ok, nothing amazing. Maybe I'd think differently if I had first heard it at the "right" age. I guess I'll never know.

this, to be honest

>tfw your grandad was never in a war

not your business limpdick.

For example, I can see people obsessing over Pixies or even Pere Ubu but not fucking Weezer

One of my favorites desu

>Great
Blue, Pinkerton, White
>Good
EWBAITE, Green, Maldroit
>Mediocre/Shit
Everything else

Pinkerton and their first album are amazing.

Why do they sound like nirvana though? Is Weezer part grunge or is nirvana part power pop?

The blue album is one of the best albums ever written. The rest are ok to shit.

pinkerton is the only good album

also it's weird how cultish their fans are

good

if you don't like Maladroit or EWBAITE you need to leave this board.

If you unironically listen to Weezer past the 10th grade...you just need to give up on life completely.

weak bait

I actually love the Red album.

what are some bands that sound like Blue album