Why do people enjoy watching sports? (Other than picture related of course)

Why do people enjoy watching sports? (Other than picture related of course)

It's just always been the most mind numbing, boring thing to watch in my humble opinion. Yet people obsess over this and even get upset when they hear "spoilers" about a game before they watched it. To me it looks the same every time. Small people on a screen running around after a ball. (or swimming or cycling or whatever)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tMsL0s6_aRs
youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1nIHv6P6Q
youtu.be/9CUR90MDqfI)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

k

Melvinfag detected.

/thread

Team sports are about tactics. There is a high degree of coordination and spatial reasoning involved. It's interesting to watch people do exemplary things.

For example soccer players will often pull some crazy ass acrobatic combinations when they finally score on net, baseball is an intensely technical game, basketball is at times shockingly precise and fluid, football is all about bluffing and changing tactics and practicing formations so you can juke the other team.

What it lacks is the journey into the unknown, but the elaboration upon and recombination of existing concepts is quite intricate.

That is a thorough answer and definitely makes me think. Thank you mate

No problem m8

I myself have trouble watching sports seriously more than a little bit, I have a much better time actually playing or watching a detailed analytical sports anime instead (like One Outs, not that other gay shit)

Some people simply just have cheap thrills.

People are lazy, they like to watch what they cannot do for whatever reason, it's very mindless most of the time, so a perfect sedative for the masses to consume too much food and get drunk too do make themselves even more unfit and kill more braincells.

Most sportsman are on performance drugs, especially the Olympics, those with the best drugs win, what a joke.

If you want real sport, go and join an actual sports club and play, fuck "professional sport". it's all drug fueled fantasy.

Sports is the only real thing left in this world to watch. It is competition in the purest form. You're watching it as it happens. It is intense, emotional, thrilling, gut wrenching and entertaining. If you're emotionally invested, it is a thrill ride for a few hours. Better than any other shit you can watch these days.

I don't think most people really enjoy it that much, they just watch because of tribalism/social expectation.

If you have an interest in something, it can be interesting and exciting to watch it - Especially among peers that enjoy it together with you.

I actually enjoy watching people play Blood Bowl and that's a fictional sport. I really like the strategic aspect of the game and the banter between the players. Of course I play the game as well, too.

this. Its intricate, but boring.

Because normal people have respect for people who are physically capable of accomplishing feats of strenght. The Olympics is a competition of the world's best athletes. Go back to playing overwatch and stfu if u don't like it

See Then kys

IPPO IS NO HOMO

Wtf... First off nice dubz,

Second, Explain

He did ejaculate that one time from a gay footjob rape by his sempai though

This. I never understood it. If they made it violent it could at least be exciting. It doesn't fulfill a primal urge, nor an intellectual one (such as watching a tactical game or a good debate) . Honestly, what's the point of it all? Is it just camaraderie among people who also like "your" team?

because competition is exciting

why are you such a faggot?

But it's not that impressive. Most people can do it, and even then the novelty wears off. Same thing is someone lifted a 500lbs. weight. It's interesting to watch the first time, but I would watch it for hours and hours on end. Nothing new happens, and there is no real point to it aside from being able to see something kinda neat.

how is it not tactical?

>because competition is exciting
Why?

Blood Bowl is like Warhammer + American Football combined. You play it with miniatures, and the goal is to kill your opponents meanwhile scoring touchdowns. You get EXP and your characters actually get famous, but opponents can put bounties on them as well.

A league usually lasts for 6-12 months, and a tournament is usually played over a weekend with eliminations taking place constantly.

There's a lot of complexity to it. I've played it since the early 90's. Lizardmen is my favorite race, but they are all very different, and you can customize your players a lot based on which skills, stats and talents you select for them when they level up.

There is also a PC version of the game on Steam.

It is, just not very. On a 1-10 I'd say it's about a 3. It's the same rules, the same game, physical ability matters a good deal, and there aren't many variables.

Now that I would watch. It sounds like there is some real risk and it adds some much-needed depth. If only American football was closer to this. Or any live action sport for that matter.

This. Most people are extroverts who need group activities/other people to be happy.

Shit. I reread your post maybe twice and I am still scratching my head. Thats awesome though /bro

Feeling like you're smart enough to see through to the end of everything, so you end up never devoting yourself to understanding or doing anything because it's all boring though, that sounds like another kind of foolishness.

I've got a friend who acts that way about everything not just sports
It's very infuriating when someone shows literally no interest or passion for any cause or reason but instead of wishing he had a cause he acts smugly because "muh cool emotional detachment"

I used to agree, but then I found MMA.

Also I now play Rocket League so I could see how someone might watch sport I guess.

I have actually seen grown men cry when their players have died after being their MVP for like 4 real-life years in a row. Pretty hilarious. Some teams are more focused on just causing as much destruction as possible, whilst others are better at controlling the ball. Both are viable ways to win the games.

To be fair, I can agree with you on this one. I've found MMA interesting to watch before. But it's one of the most varied sports I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Sometimes people are just gonna do shit you had no idea would be coming.

I dunno but we've been doing it for a long time.

I dislike MMA because it's a sport and not real fighting, but I like Boxing because it's a sport and not real fighting.

Isn't that strange?

There are many things I find interesting and worth a great deal of time. Sports just aren't one of them. The risks are low, and it very slow. Which would be fine if it was more tactical, but it's not. Most are very simple games, with simple goals, and simple rules. I can't "see through to the end of everything". If I could I think I'd kill myself. But to me sports are like a game of tic-tac-toe. It is interesting at first, but I don't see the point of watching the same shallow thing over and over and over again.

And that's awesome. That is what IRL sports need. More wildcards and higher stakes.

Just checking who was.

Fucking nerd

You have to understand the game before you judge it, otherwise it means nothing. You never played basketball, baseball or football as a kid?

I have. It's ok to play (but even that gets boring), but to watch it is like watching paint dry.

>There are many things I find interesting and worth a great deal of time.
like what

you're not trying to hide from ridicule on Sup Forums are you? maybe you don't belong here

Try watching hockey maybe? Definitely a lot of violence there.

The only acceptable sport is snooker/pool or something like chess. Everything else is for those with low IQ. Also notice the fanbase of mainstream sports like football. They're all degenerates that ready to kill opposing team players and fanbase. Reason? Well, they played better while we sucked dicks, so why don't we beat them up. Football even involves huge amount of police and other guards. Just think about it. Simple sport game where manchilds punch ball with body and it can become really dangerous as people might lose their minds and go batshit crazy.

By your logic just because you don't understand something, its wrong.
Get the fuck off of Sup Forums and do something you dirty little fuck. There's more to life than whining like a little bitch

>The only acceptable sport is snooker/pool or something like chess
Chess/Sport- pick one.

The aspergers is strong in this thread.

>being this mad
No wonder they start fights at football matches, when even on Sup Forums they're so aggressive towards others, lmao. You can shout, fight till death and paint your whole face with someone's country flag while I, just chill & snooker in peace. :)

Well in this case of football, you probably have to be a little bit retarded to willing play a sport that makes you retarded.

Cricket is the only sport worth watching.

I love debating for one thing. It gives me insight on how people think. I am happy to say I don't know everything, so there is still plenty to learn about psychology.

I also like the vidya. I used to love some old school turn-based JRPGs. Because the players and rules changed with each game I didn't get bored.

As an example of a physical activity, my friends and I loved Kendo and similar things. Metal swords are costly since they only last a month or two, but it was fun as shit. You had to think on your feet and I loved how often we would get injured. It made it more exciting somehow. One time my friend's sword broke and he almost lost the use of his arm because I cut through it. Hand injuries are the most common, but we still have plenty of scars everywhere. The odd thing is I don't know if I enjoyed inflicting pain more, or feeling it. But that's another issue entirely.

There's plenty more I enjoy, but I think that's enough cringe for one post.

Used to be. Been boring for a long while now that they started enforcing the rules more. Then again it's been over a decade since I watched it. Has it changed to allow more fights?

Rooting for a sports team is about empathy. Most people can easily project onto a team or player and feel like their successes are shared, and they feel good when "their" team wins.

You probably just don't get it because you have trouble with connecting with other people in general.

Yeah, but you're not doing that, are you?

All you're doing is sitting in front of a TV.

There's no real strategery required to do that, is there?

I find most sports boring af, but you're still a faggot. Potential violence is the only good thing about them.

For something to be a sport it just needs to be an ongoing formal competition between people.

I love the way tactics are used in cricket.

youtube.com/watch?v=tMsL0s6_aRs

Watching things that require strategy, for me at least, are enjoyable because I can imagine what I would do and I compare that with what happens. Kinda like watching a game show.

That being said, sports are far from enjoyable for that purpose.

>spoilers
While it is quite amusing, to an outsider it does appear a bit bizarre that the news considers sports spoilers news, and dedicates a whole section to spoiling the end of a bunch of sports programs.

Does the 9am news ruin the end of Game of Thrones? No.

Seems weird. I guess it's to cater to gampas who never had a tivo.

>Engaging in a sword fight with real blades without intent to kill
Holy shit how can you be this retarded. You think weapons are toys? Your problem is that you're a fucking child and there is no real life for you. Have you ever actually fought for your life? For someone else's? Killed someone?

>I loved how often we would get injured
Okay, gonna just go ahead and disregard your opinion right there you fucking weirdo

youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1nIHv6P6Q

I don't watch much sports, but I'm into quake, and I watch occasionally. I like thinking about the game at hand, and I love analysis by people who know what they're talking about (youtu.be/9CUR90MDqfI) . There is beauty in sports/gameplay/competition.

>You think weapons are toys?
Lolwut?
>Engaging in a sword fight with real blades without intent to kill
What is practice?

>Have you ever actually fought for your life? For someone else's? Killed someone?

Nope. Mostly because of laws though. Every fight I've been in was broken up in less than 3min, or the other person gave up. I'm not about to go to prison just for some excitement.

Nice logical fallacy there Sup Forumsro. And in all honesty, do you not enjoy it? If you are having some sort of physical competition I assume it is done for the physical enjoyment of it. Getting injured is a strong, lasting impression of the event. It makes it "real". Without it, I don't really see the point of it. Why would you not prefer to injure the person you are fighting with the risk of getting potentially seriously injured yourself if you slip up?

>I'm not about to go to prison just for some excitement.
getting dismembered or bleeding to death though
or accidentally killing your friend
some friend huh?
in the first place do you even think you're having a real sword fight if you're not actively trying to kill each other?
the best thing that can happen is the exact same thing that would happen with wooden swords
the worst thing that can happen is accidental manslaughter
not even intentionally killing someone like a man
just a stupid accident

you are a fucking idiot

as if you couldn't injure someone with a bokken, which frequently result in broken bones and concussions

why don't you just face the fact that you're just playing around?

>getting dismembered or bleeding to death though
or accidentally killing your friend
some friend huh?
Well, we knew what would happen beforehand, and we were pretty skilled (years of formal training) so we could kill our swing before fatal /long lasting damage was delt most of the time. Swords broke a lot, and more than a few times we had to adjust our swing to prevent lodging it in each other's heads. But that's the point. It's what made it fun. Sparring against amateurs was another story though, because they would always put all their strength to a swing with no intent on stopping it. They lacked skill but even they could make up for that and keep it interesting for us.

>in the first place do you even think you're having a real sword fight if you're not actively trying to kill each other?

Yes and no. I get the point you are making. If I trusted them we would act with intent to kill with a "trigger" in the back of our minds to stop jus before we killed them, though we weren't consciously aware of it when we were fighting and just hoped it would kick in. But again, I only did that with a select group of people.

>the worst thing that can happen is accidental manslaughter

THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT. That's what made it fun. With most sports that risk isn't there. Nor do they have diverse, in-depth, tactical situations. Which is why I find them boring to watch/play.

>why do people like watching people play videogames

Idk I used to think sports were boring until I statted watching football. After a year I was hooked, something about the game is just exciting to me idk. Btw go bucs

I like the feeling of cuts/cutting more than bruises and broken bones. And though a bokken can do some damage (got in a lot of trouble once for dislocating a kids elbow) its not as fun. With real swords, you get bits of metal that fly off (and, imho, it makes the air smell pretty good if you can get enough friction into the blow so you can smell the steel), they have more weight to them, and the risk of injury is higher. And if by "just playing around" you mean I wasn't actually trying to kill my friend, you are correct. But isn't that true of almost all leisure activities?

Let me guess, you think you have a hard time meeting people in the same intellectual zone as you

formalized hunting and chasing 4 legged dinner,or defending yourself from hostile up landers,,ritual practice serves to keep muscle & eye limb coordination in the pink

More action and relatability depending on the game (1st person and all that). Though I think it stupid as fuck.

You don't get it. When you make yourself into a weapon, you are the gun that fires the bullet when the trigger is pulled. The process and the will to follow through is absolute, hesitation means risking death or worse, failure. What is the point of pretending you're a weapon, but really you have the intention of pulling back at the last moment? It's asinine. It has nothing to do with fighting. It's two children imitating samurai movies with real weapons in their hands. They are not real warriors. The only way you could be like this is if your life was worthless to you, if it didn't truly matter whether you lived or died. A person like that shouldn't even be allowed to hold a weapon.

Still a 5 minute penalty for fighting, but it isn't completely disallowed like every other sport.

It's a much better experience in a stadium with friends, but then you have to buy tickets, buy overpriced food, actually somewhat understand the sport you're watching, be somewhat emotionally invested in the game, etc.
>it's super boring on screen, but it's kind of okay in person

Answer the question

>why are you such a faggot?

first.