/daily/ - ">it's a hampus gets into an argument episode" edition

Stop fucking with the OP! The discord can go though.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!kFdUWJgC!yqQLMYpDjB-qonjzHvJ33g
youtube.com/watch?v=nliGGDNHOvs
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/冷酷仙境/地上的种子___seeds_on_the_ground/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_dayan_ancient_music_association/naxi_music_from_lijiang/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what did i miss

chairs

wew really wanted this to be seen

switched out the caretaker album bc it's not on spotify and eh i can't be fucked to actually go and find it. i replaced it with this!

Pixies - Head Carrier (2016)
>alternative rock

For how many good comeback albums there were this year, Pixies' attempt at one is among the most flaccid, least interesting albums I've heard in quite some time, even when you ignore the fact that this is an album by a once quite good band. For as much as I generally don't care for Black Francis' yelping, panicked vocals on Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, at least they had a lot of passion and energy, here he turns in an incredibly bored, boring vocal performance, sounding like a shell of his former self. Paz Lenchantin, while a good bassist (on other recordings at least), is pushed almost completely to the side here. The greatest part about Pixies is the interplay between Francis and Kim Deal. Sure, this interplay would now be missing no matter what, considering that Deal is no longer in the band, but Lenchantin's vocals on "All I Think About Now" prove that she could absolutely hold her own as a lead vocalist the way Deal was, but Francis seems hellbent on making this another Frank Black solo album rather than an actual Pixies album. Santiago and Lovering turn in decent performances, but their best work is most certainly behind both of them. I can gripe about the vocals and the instrumental performances all day long, but the most obviously horrendous thing about this album is the songwriting. In their prime, the band were absolutely phenomental songwriters. I love Surfer Rosa, and even though Doolittle isn't my cup of tea, "Debaser", "Here Comes Your Man", and "Monkey Gone to Heaven" are phenomenal pop songs with immediately catchy hooks. There's none of that here. All twelve songs here are boring, unmemorable slogs that don't deserve to have Pixies' name attached to them. Among my least favorite albums of the year, no doubt about it.

panera bread

me

cheers!

Anyone knows any similar chairs? I really like this one.

>$500
>effay

That's, like, one piece of Rick Owens.

>dat thumb
ahahahaha

Is Mac DeMarco actually good? A friend of mine has been pestering me with Salad Days since a few weeks, but I don't know if I should bite the bullet.

you guys sure are hung up on hampus
maybe you should get a hobby instead of bullying someone battling mental illness

it's a decent album.

hmm as someone who always tries to get friends to listen to his shit do him the favor, even if he turns out to be actually shit

what if that IS my hobby
im a hueg asshole if im being real and in a real shit mood! (really though)

but actually we all love hampus and these threads would be even worse if he didnt show up every few weeks

his fans are shit

>FEAR OF THE NEGATIVE HEX - post-extreme coffee death
Being completely honest, I thought this was gonna be a joke album for me to laugh at, something I would give a 1 to. I mean some of it is ridiculous, the punk tracks are absurd, and the tambourine with the first track isn't really in sync with the tune itself, and sure, the lo-fi production and sometimes overwhelming distortion doesn't really help, but it wasn't that horrible. There was kind of an odd, overbloated charm to it. Had no actual problem with it, was good at best. Maybe I'll check out the rest of his discography later. (5-6/10)

>Duran Vazquez - Computador, plug-ins & 2600
Saw on a chart by Good Guy Rod a while back, was interested. Basically, it's kind of a mixture of noise, dark ambient, EAI, and even chiptune. Solid drones, too. Decent, overall. Just kind of played faded in with the background to me. (5/10)

>DDX-10 - Nonholomorphic
Boring. The shorter of the noise tracks had some sort of interesting texture one way or another, as where the longer noise tracks wore me down and were kind of uneventful, mainly consisting of buzzing feedback that just didn't do much for me, and just bored me over time. My friend Windowlistener from the bandcamp threads said something about this influencing him, which kind of sucks, because I did want to like this album, especially since I like windowlistener's work. Don't see myself coming back to this much. (2-3/10)

Twa Toots and the Peel Session from Godspeed were entertaining.

Yes! and thank you!

I like his work, but I could see how some people see it as samey-samey or don't like it. Worth one listen I think.

if y'all remember when i posted the picture of me modeling with a skeleton back in like September, i'm doing that again but the costumes this time are all Bowie themed in celebration of his 70th birthday/remembrance of his 1st death anniversary.

so i'll be dressing as ziggy stardust, red hair and the crazy fuckin costumes/eyepatch included; aladdin sane with the lightning bolt; the thin white duke, sans cocaine; and maybe the robes/bandages from the "Lazarus" video

it's gonna be fun! i'll make sure to post lots of pictures.

woah, tell us more about your interesting and unique life

His music works as a social lubricant but if you're listening with the intent of paying close attention it tends to come up short.

>5/10
well glad you thought it was decent

>sans cocaine
pussy ass faggot ass nerd bitch fuck

are you gonna do Leonard Cohen next

It was good, just didn't really stick with me. Will be relistening in the near future.

Should do a music or something, pick 1 or 2.

(it gets ignored anyways)

*clanks bottle against screen

>That's, like, one piece of Rick Owens.
How'd you know?

nice
do gg allin next

Go fuck a pig idjiet

nah kys instead retard

Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun (1985)
>cowpunk, alt-country, alternative rock

I like it a whole lot more than II, that's for sure. For some reason I expected something a lot more streamlined here, but the whole album has a lot more of a fever dream-like vibe to it, and they amp up their rhythmic tendencies tenfold, making for some really weirdly danceable tracks. Curt Kirkwood's guitar work, as jangly and country-fried as it was on their predecessor, anchors every single track here, alternating between country licks and disco-esque rhythm work with ease, fitting every single track perfectly. The droning vocals can get irritating, same with some of the tracks' tendencies towards melodic and rhythmic stagnation, yet they manage to take these negative characteristics and make something really memorable out of them. It's a very good album.

3.0+

that's it, sorry!!!

i'll try

>(it gets ignored anyways)
WHY DO I WRITE THESE FUCKING THINGS

y'all need jesus

Christianity is a joke

>WHY DO I WRITE THESE FUCKING THINGS
Because you're "cool" and "helpful".

you write it for the memes

the sarcasm stings

>WHY DO I WRITE THESE FUCKING THINGS
to bump the thread and not have it deleted, so everyone else can have more fun shitposting with their little ingroup
youre doing the dirty work no one else wants to do
good job!

Thanks for the attention, please give me more.

>odd number
Thanks I'll do 1.
You're still the worst trip, merry boxing day.

natkingcool&helpful

i read em. just not much to say most of the time.

Because you're cool, but, not helpful.
Or maybe not helpful but cool? I don't know.

>album has bongos
+1 score immediately

TERMINUS WHERE ARE YOU

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3 (2016)
>hardcore hip hop

RtJ were one of my favorites back when I was first really getting into music (i.e., when I first discovered Sup Forums), and I'll still hold that RtJ 2 is a damn fine album, and that "DDFH" off of their first is a great song. El-P is a great producer, and Killer Mike is a great rapper, so naturally their partnership is gonna be good. Their streak of quality definitely carries over here, but it's starting to feel like they're really treading old ground. The lyrics are more of the same, and none of them pack the same punch that songs like "Reagan" or "A Christmas Fucking Miracle" do. The production is stilll on point, but that's really all it is. It's very serviceable and it bangs pretty often, but I want more from El-P, something more inventive and experimental, he's playing it mostly safe here. The rapping is the only real marked improvement over their past releases. Mike is mostly on par with his other peformances, but El-P definitely steps it up, he's pretty much equal with his partner here. It may be a step down from their other two albums, and the hooks are pretty egregious, but there are still some great tracks here. "Hey Kids (Bumaye)" and its Danny Brown feature are both awesome, "Thursday in the Danger Room" has an awesome sax performance from Kamasi Washington, and "A Report to the Shareholders / Kill Your Masters" has a great beat switch-up and another great performance from Zach de la Rocha. They're doing more of the same, and they're good at what they do, but for god's sake, they need to switch their style up, it's getting old.

2.5+

i feel accomplished

thanks my dude, i'm glad someone reads em.

he needs to come back

if i'm losing i'm losing to my cummate not some scaly pigfucker

Autechre > Boards of Canada

autechre more like autism as in you have autism is what I'm saying

I'm trying to learn a little more about music theory over the break. And basically do anything I can to get better at guitar. Any tips you guys can give me?

>inb4 keep practicing

Appreciate you doing the writeups man. I don't always agree with your opinions but they're pretty fun to read.

Also, I'm gonna have to check that Meat Puppets album out. Loved II and this sounds like a nice follow up.

This is 100% part of my scoring system

thanks! and yeah, it's rad. i like II a fair bit but I definitely liked this a lot more.

I hope you like the feeling of being trampled by muddy pig hooves like it's black Friday in America ;^)

>Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love!
When people said this was a funk album, I thought they meant like one of those more modern smooth r&b/soul records, or like a dancey pop record that had soul influences. But this actually caught me off guard. Definitely reminds me of Sly and The Family Stone and Funkadelic, even James Brown, in some of the ways Glover vocal afflictions sound (feel like I'm bordering on sacrilege with such a statement). I'm not a big Gambino fan, I like some of his tracks, and others I don't care for. I liked this album, overall. Nothing innovating for the genre, and I can understand why some don't though, but I liked it. (6-7/10)

>Zguba - The Last Command
Essentially, imagine The Caretaker doing music that sounded like it came from 1920s silent films, mixed with dark ambient, and marching rhythms based off martial industrial works. Sinister as the music Zguba appears to be sampling from. (6-7/10)

Don't worry, bud, I'm reading them.

YOU'RE GOING DOWN

much obliged. and i feel kinda the same way about gambino, it's derivative as hell but it's impressive, for him at least.

>Essentially, imagine The Caretaker doing music that sounded like it came from 1920s silent films, mixed with dark ambient, and marching rhythms based off martial industrial works.
oh shit boy i need that

Holy Fug
You got the look for it desu

this was pretty gud

I liked Nujabes' Luvsic series, and I'm digging his other stuff too. Which albums have the same feel Luvsic has?

That Zguba album sounds super interesting, i'll have to add that to my backlog.

i think i've got the look for david byrne more lol

i'll make sure to show y'all how the costumes look when i get em all made

i've never heard that one but twoism is really cool and you should listen to it

Uyama Hiroto - A Son of the Sun is the closest thing to Nujabes, bar none.
Madlib's Shades of Blue is kinda similar too.

I'm currently listening to Twoism and it's really good but Geodaddi is their best

Exactly. Also thanks for the rec of Tacoma Radar. Will be looking into them soon.

That's the best way to describe it for me. Hopefully you guys like it, and that I'm not overplaying it.

i've never listened to geogaddi, to be honest. i think i've only listened to twoism and MHTRTC, and i didn't care for the latter that much at all. really do love twoism, though.

no prob! thomas and dogwander turned me onto them, so if ya like it thank them too.

Also don't know why, but I got a good chuckle out of your comments. :)

downloaded it. hope i like it.
(it's free on the guy's bandcamp btw)

Noted. Also, in the process of looking for a download of Tacoma, I found about A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness by Rocketship. Know if that's any good?

I hope so too.

Noah Howard - The Black Ark (1969)

Been a while since i’ve heard an album custom tailored to my taste. Dark, percussive and free; teetering on the edge of destruction while remaining hella groovy and direction driven.

Unfortunately, this album falls short in a couple areas.
The bass and keyboard are mixed too low in the louder passages, which is a bummer, with the emphasis heavily on horns and percussion. The more crowded sections on the album required some focus to pull out individual instruments, (bass and keyboards especially) which are often more exciting than the overshadowing abrasive repetitive horn squawks. Don’t get me wrong, the horn squawks are fire, but it would be nice to hear the full ensemble of musicians rather than a dark cloud allowing only higher pitches to permeate through, especially when the horns (though avantgarde) feel like they’re comping. Listening to albums like this really makes me appreciate Blue Note recordings.

As for the actual music, it’s fairly reminiscent of Andrew Hill’s Compulsion!!!!! in which the head is quickly discarded in favour of madness. It has the same dark percussive feel, but with the focal point centered around the higher pitches - notably the horns and to a lesser extent, the congas. The direction is a little awkward with the horns leading the charge, but that doesn’t stop this from being an exciting and invigorating listen.

8.0 /10

nice review

How simple.

thank u
Gonna review Twoism next

Niechęć - Niechęć (2016)
>jazz-rock, jazz fusion

"Thick" is the best word to describe it. It has a lot of post-rock inclinations, and as such it focuses a lot on textures and crescendoes, and the use of jazz instruments rather than rock instruments to achieve this is very interesting and innovate. I'd be lying if I didn't say my favorite bits are the guitar bits. The guitar tone is out of this world, and the guitarist achieves the rare feat of consistently making riffs super heavy without resorting to any tired tropes, and this is something that heavily adds to the weight of the music. Has a tendency to go too over-the-top at times, though, sometimes the atmosphere is smothering rather than pummeling, and it can get kinda cheesy. These moments are few and far between, and they only detract a little bit from an otherwise good album.

3.0-

i like it! it's kinda uneven but very cozy and sweet.

Cool! Will definitely be looking at both of the albums on this post too then :)

:)

dis was pretty great. The second track was the best track.

Gonna listen to Squarepusher next

:)

Twoism was good. Squarepusher is pretty good, too. Had the pleasure of seeing him live recently.

>Youth Team - Music For Mass Transit
Another find from the bandcamp threads. Guy says he's influenced by Aphex and Boards of Canada. Can't really tell if he sounds like BoC (haven't listened to them in depth, other than a swift listen of twoism, but they are on my cue, don't worry), but this was a nice set of trip-hop, chillout tracks, with some hints of IDM and downtempo. Some of the keys, synths have a preset-like, stiff sound to them, but nothing really bothersome, or sticking out like a sore thumb. Smooth, sleek, much like the plane on the cover. Some of the more simpler trip-hop tracks remind me of another bandcamp thread musician, Hanging Tree Algorithm. If you like this, I think you'd like Hanging Tree too. Probably not a necessary comment, but something I thought was notable. Overall, liking it. Potential is there. (6/10)

>that bongo solo in Diana
maybe my favourite musical moment

@ RODRIGUEZ

Audio Letter - It Is This It Is Not This (Neti-Neti) (1989)
>Free Improvisation, African
>FLAC, vinyl rip
>ft. Don Cherry
>the style and amount of rym ratings will probably give Rod a stiffy

mega.nz/#F!kFdUWJgC!yqQLMYpDjB-qonjzHvJ33g

Sample: no

yE
drummed this solo on many a desk

thanks. you're right on the ratings and style. i'll save the link. i'm ready to be relaxed.

Jangles: I really, really, really like this link.

I was afraid of that happening. Hey, your write-up was useful, now I don't have to listen to it.

wtf this is only for rod, DELETE THIS!!!!!!!1

Now imagine it playing loudly in a record store while a middle aged woman converses with the store owner about Bing Cosby's christmas album, kek. Glad I asked to play it because it's dope as fuck; bought it immediately. According to the record sleeve all the songs are 100% improvised, as in they had no inkling of what the songs wold become and just went for it.

pig sleep

Night.
youtube.com/watch?v=nliGGDNHOvs

Night buddy, this album is great (tho I am pretty biased to anything featuring Don Cherry)

>It's been almost a year since I started posting on daily

Wew I've just wasted a year of my life did I?

in March (or was it April) it'll be a year for me :()

btw, rec me an Asian trad thing for trad tourney pls

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/冷酷仙境/地上的种子___seeds_on_the_ground/

are you sure this counts as trad

Nvm it's not trad

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_dayan_ancient_music_association/naxi_music_from_lijiang/

Is this ok?

ye boi

thans

>album has bagpipes
instant 10/10

that's some real shit (bad) taste over there

thats a real good (fantastic) point.

Korn s/t is fucking fantastic, the other two are eh.

This is great

This thread really is a case in point perfect example of everything I said in the last thread.

Look at it. Really look at it. Look at how few responses the """reviews""" get. Barely any at all. Look at the shitposts. That's where the responses are. It's a pretty clear indication that people want to shitpost, they don't want to musicpost.

If you want to change this, and if you want to promote musicposting, you've got to do it yourself. Start responding to reviews, start posting more about music in general, stop funposting. Stop responding to funposters. You're paying funposters with more (You)s than you do goodposters.

That's a really ugly chair.

what's your favorite chair

and you? You've contributed nothing but whining and shitposting.

I've been trying to get into metal recently, because I do like the idea of rock instrumentation + experimentation + compositionally-aware mindsets similar to classical music or jazz.
The albums on green in pic related are ones I have enjoyed, the ones on red are albums I have disliked or at least met with indifference. Anyone know what I'd like based on these? I know people here are a fan of Obscura by Gorguts, but I can't seem to enjoy the sound of it every time I give it a go.

I think it'll be my one-year anniversary in March, although I take a lot of incidental hiatuses from posting here

Y'all mind if I praise God

yeezus

>I do like the idea of rock instrumentation + experimentation + compositionally-aware mindsets similar to classical music or jazz.
pls be bait
p sure i've already listed you a bunch of bands a few threads back but okay
you sound like you'd love Kayo Dot, Ne Obliviscaris, Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, Journal, Unexpect, Emperor 2nd album onwards, later Enslaved, maybe stuff like Blotted Science, Spiral Architect or Necrophagist
your taste in sludge/drone seems like you'd love Black Sheep Wall and Harvey Milk. Gnaw Their Tongues most likely too but they're not really metal

pls yes, my self-esteem is at an all time low