Both

Closer

Closer is better by far, UP has Shadowplay though

Closer.

>tfw listening to Closer and this thread appears

>why

Closer; because of darker mood

UP

The opening of Closer fucking ruins the whole atmosphere, while every song in UP is perfect.

This. They're both 10/10s but in their own different way. Unknown Pleasures is a cry for help, whereas Closer is help never coming.

Closer but Unknown Pleasures has Interzone which is my favorite Joy Division song

>why
Because the intense and pervasive stench of death that permeates that record is one of the few things in life that reminds me that I'm not quite at rock bottom yet and in a weird and twisted way is actually fundamentally comforting for me to listen to as I realize I'm not yet fully broken.

Closer because it doesn't have Candidate

I don't know how to explain it but, kinda like this user said, Closer just feels really "dead" in a way that few other music does, and that has a real effect on you. I'd say I enjoy Unknown Pleasures more for the songwriting, and Closer for the atmosphere. I'd put Closer on top.

this

>Unknown Pleasures is a cry for help, whereas Closer is help never coming.
Fuck

The saddest, most desolate one for me is Atmosphere; the fact that we could say it's the last track by Curtis adds an ominous feel.

Walk in silence, don't turn away

>Unknown Pleasures is a cry for help, whereas Closer is help never coming.

Atmosphere and The Eternal are their saddest songs hands down. My hairs stick up at the absolute feeling of defeat that these songs invoke.

tfw my body looks like that pic

>Atrocity Exibithion ruins the mood
Nigga are you drunk?

Don't worry man, you can change :)

>the fact that we could say it's the last track by Curtis

That song was recorded before Closer.
Last Curtis song is a actually In A Lonley Place

>Knocking Atrocity Exhibition
u wot

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

closer

The Eternal is a close second, Atmosphere is one of the hardest songs for me to go through in terms of feels

This alone makes Closer better

youtube.com/watch?v=zcKGqgwLzjA

>tfw expend so much energy on hating myself and my body
>tfw too unmotivated and lazy to work on anything

then kys yourself

I believe listening to joy division won't help too much in that regard...

This. If you listen to JD, you're probably deep on the downward spiral.

You don't have to actively work out or do anything drastic. Just find an outlet or a release, make sure you're well groomed or smell decent everyday. Keep your living place clean etc.
You'll pull through man :)

starve desu, requires literally less effort than it takes normally.

This. Just cut what you eat in half. To avoid fucking up your metabolism, just eat lots of vegetables.

I believe I hit rock bottom some years ago when I insisted on listening to JD and sigur ros on repeat, and every replay added more feels to the accumulated feels
It really conditioned my mood so much everything turned grey and dark
I thought listening to music which reflected my mood would have been a way to understand my feelings but it turns out I am actually really susceptible to music mood so much I need to steer away from listening to this stuff too much; when switching to more positive or neutral mood stuff everything started to look much better.

>tfw all I listen to is Elliott Smith, Joy Division, Nick Drake, and just about every other artist who didn't live to see age 35

>Closer

Three of my four favorite Joy Division songs (Heart and Soul, Twenty-Four Hours, and Decades) are on this one.

Closer because i enjoy depression

Heart and Soul has GOAT lyrics

>THIS IS THE WAVE STEP INSIDE
>ruins the mood

>wave

I PUT MY TRUST IN YOU

WE WERE STRANGERS

>the lights are flashing, cars are crashing, getting frequent now

>PEOPLE LIKE YOU
>FIND IT EASY

Interzone a best.

does Closer have the most drastically better side B out of every album ever? not to knock the first half or anything but those last four songs are unlike anything else

I would say it does. The Eternal and Decades are absolutely haunting.

None of them, their best work was on substance, an ideal for living and warsaw.

Closer is better in every way, there's this meme that it's slightly less good past the first two songs and before Heart and Soul, but in comparison Unknown Pleasures is so inconsistent it's no contest.

Closer. Better production, use of atonality, emotional expression, etc. It's good; UP isn't.

Development must scare you. *tips fedora*

>UP isn't
You really are a cuck.

atrocity exhibition is the best track on the album fampai

UP
whoa user

but I like this better

You know it.

Warsaw :^)

its no Eternal

yeah side two is the real keeper there, Twenty Four Hours through Decades is a powerful fucking sequence.

this gave me a sad

I do like both albums for totally different reasons and couldn't pick one over the other. I'd only pick Closer because it's the only one I own.
>tfw found an original copy for $8

really makes you think

Why every Joy Division thread is a suicide/feel thread?

Pic related is the best Joy Division album, pun intended

Just listened to Closer for the first time, a long time fan of UP.
For now I really enjoy Closer, though I'm not sure which I prefer. They both have such distinctive sounds yet have their similarities in themes.

I've always been intrigued by their older stuff though, Warsaw, An Ideal for Living, etc.

Closer is my favorite but then again She's Lost Control is on Unknown Pleasures. They're both fucking great albums unknown pleasures took longer to click for me though

closer. i cant listen to a shirt

xd