Weird connections with artists irl

Let me start by saying arcade fire is not one of my favorite band by any means. In fact when i did meet the lead singer of Man Man, a band i actually love, (after a show in ATX) i couldn't even get the words out and just sounded like a dumb fangirl.

It's 2012 and according to the timeline of Reflektor, they've been working on this album for a year now and of course it is going to be released in 2013, but nobody knew obviously.

I was a jaded sophomore at the university of Texas at Austin fresh out of being kicked out of Pre-Med. I switched to philosophy and was at the peak of my depression and existentialism and the angsty struggle for meaning in life. I found solace in Kierkegaard and the process philosophers, who saw the fundamental atoms of the universe not to be atoms, but rather the all encompassing zen of a moment. We are not atoms strung along by physics, but by a strange cosmic force (god?!?) whose "career" breeds ours in the form of the "micro-careers" that are basically the experiences that make up our lives.

SO, Arcade Fire was giving a free talk on campus about Haiti and their philanthropy work there and assured us that they would not be playing any songs (they lied => youtube.com/watch?v=u-hhotCQuqk)

I was depressed enough to believe them and clearly not in the loop and after about 2 hours of drivel about haiti this and haiti that i just fucking left in the middle.

Then something weird happened, as I was hopping out of the rows of seats, i look up at the main singer (Win Butler) who was sulking in his seat for the entirety of the talk, (perhaps jaded by his circlejerking fanbase of normalfags) I saw him perk up and inquisitively stare at me.

"Our age is essentially one of understanding and reflection, without passion, momentarily bursting into enthusiasm, and shrewdly relapsing into repose. ... There is no more action or decision in our day than there is perilous delight in swimming in shallow waters."

CONT NEXT POST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rB9A6Wmgj4s)
youtube.com/watch?v=dZwNXe-xfS0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Apparently this Kierkegaard essay inspired Reflektor and I cannot stress how perfectly and eerily it describes the moment we had.
When I listen to the title track reflecktor, It IS that moment.
We shared a mundane and profound moment, a simultaneous sense of boredom in this rapid vapid age of instahappiness. But that's all it was. it was a really boring normal moment and clearly something that is rare nowadays. We reflected off each other, one of us, made in the limelight, famous, and the other a penniless bitter loaner. But we felt the same and THAT is where the magic of this song happens for me.

I like to think that song is objectively about that moment. It's probably not, but we both grew up in the Woodlands TX so i think we both have a jaded view of normalfags, but are willing to appease them. Him with his music, me other ways.

It all just adds up for me and i don't care if you don't believe me, the timing of the album and everything. I like to believe Win butler seeing just one millennial not gobbling his cock gave him some hope.

i leave you with some lyrics to support my story from the title track reflektor:

We fell in love, alone on a stage
In the reflective age

I thought, I found the connector
It's just a reflektor (It's just a reflektor)

Now, the signals we send, are deflected again
We're still connected, but are we even friends?

If this is heaven
I need something more
Just a place to be alone
'Cause you're my home

Just a reflektor
Just a reflektor
Just a reflektor
Will I see you on the other side?
It's just a reflektor

what the fuck

that's cool. Glad you had that experience. stuff like that is what gives life meaning.

Let me start by saying will toledo is not one of my favorite band by any means. In fact when i did meet the lead singer of Man Man, a band i actually love, (after a show in ATX) i couldn't even get the words out and just sounded like a dumb fangirl.

It's 2015 and according to the timeline of Teens of Denial, they've been working on this album for a year now and of course it is going to be released in 2016, but nobody knew obviously.

I was a jaded sophomore at the university of Seattle at Washington fresh out of being kicked out of Pre-Med. I switched to philosophy and was at the peak of my depression and existentialism and the angsty struggle for meaning in life. I found solace in Kierkegaard and the process philosophers, who saw the fundamental atoms of the universe not to be atoms, but rather the all encompassing zen of a moment. We are not atoms strung along by physics, but by a strange cosmic force (god?!?) whose "career" breeds ours in the form of the "micro-careers" that are basically the experiences that make up our lives.

SO, Will Toledo was giving a free talk at the gay bar about furries and their phallus work up there and assured us that he would not be playing any songs (they lied => youtube.com/watch?v=rB9A6Wmgj4s)

I was depressed enough to believe him and clearly not in the loop and after about 2 hours of drivel about anal this and fucking that i just fucking left in the middle.

Then something weird happened, he leaps up, with his penis fully erect. And dashes at an inhuman speed in my direction. He stares at me inquisitively, and fully naked. I scream out, but I'm fully surrounded by furfags. The reckoning is come, and I've done nothing to prepare myself for it.And thus, my anal circumference increased by a good 5" that day. I can't help but think that Teens of Denial IS about this moment, and thus I feel a deep and personal connection to this album.

My oldest sister was good friends with some of the people in one of Sufjan's old bands (Marzuki) in Holland, Michigan. So, basically she got to hang out and party with Sufjan before he was famous. She hasn't told me much about it but Marzuki is a pretty decent band.

youtube.com/watch?v=dZwNXe-xfS0

I told the founder of matador to sign car seat headrest and then he did

>I found solace in Kierkegaard and the process philosophers, who saw the fundamental atoms of the universe not to be atoms, but rather the all encompassing zen of a moment.
W E W

consider chemical castration

>Our age is essentially one of understanding and reflection, without passion, momentarily bursting into enthusiasm, and shrewdly relapsing into repose. ... There is no more action or decision in our day than there is perilous delight in swimming in shallow waters.
Look, that's beautiful but that's just waxing poetic about something as if that's how everyone lives. Get over yourself for fuck's sake. Stop justifying your inadequacies by applying them to everyone.

>tfw Win literally just glanced at you and you're trying to think it was more than that
kys, faggot

I enjoyed reading that user.

Do you live differently than the passage you just quoted?

Yes. That passage is trying to depressingly describe a reality as a universal reality. That is even worse than describing your opinions on music in an objective sense, which is awful to begin with. It's one of those "speak for yourself" moments. If I could respond to Kierkegaard I would say:

Ooh, wow. Thanks for the insight. If you're so enlightened then why aren't you changing yourself?

Seriously.

Thanks for your response, I didn't actually expect anyone to reply seriously (I'm not OP btw).

This is actually a really high quality post and thread. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Wish we could get similar quality more often.

That's okay. Sorry if I sounded harsh. I just don't like when people have the energy to complain about human behavior but when it comes time to changing that behavior they're nowhere to be seen. Life is a balance but I would not say I live "without passion, momentarily bursting into enthusiasm, and shrewdly relapsing into repose."

Not OP, but I agree. The lyrics are too reminiscent of OP's memory to ignore them.

t. still in high school

Nice meme. You want to make an actual response now?

nah, i'm just shitposting

okay, thanks for the honesty.

The best thing I've ever read in my life. this thread needs to be forever saved. 10/10. you did it. Perfect timing.

when i made eye contact with wil butler in 2004 i inspired neon bible