What do I do, Sup Forums?

what do I do, Sup Forums?

Ive been using my moms old giant record player to play my vinyls, so this christmas she decided to go and get me my own record player. I opend my gift, and it was this. It wasnt a crosley, but form what Ive read, the needle is just as junky and reviews say it damages records

It it really that bad, or is there anyway I can modify it so i can still use it without damaging my records? I dont want to be and asshole & tell her to bring it back

I have never seen this but the built in speakers will shake the entire turntable, causing the needle to bounce around and damage the record. The same thing happens with Crosleys. Sorry m8.

Nothing you can really do besides save up for your own or tell her the truth

could I...muffle the speakers or something?

would it matter?

Find a way to nicely explain to her that you have spent a significant amount of money on records, and this specific turntable will damage them. Tell her that having your own turntable is something you do want, so she did a good job at picking it out, she just didn't know. ask her to return it and whenever you save up enough money to buy your own, she can put that money towards the better turntable and it'll be a great gift for you.

Dude there's so many things wrong with those record players muffling it would barely do anything. Playing your records on there hurts the vinyl is so many ways it's laughable.

And they get away with it because the wannabe hipsters barely use it, they just like the idea of having it.

if you want to be a pussy and not tell her, you can play your albums that have little monetary value and can be replaced easily

Just don't use it?

An AT-LP60 is perfectly serviceable and extremely cheap, so if you are short on cash you could probably return it and get one of those without having to cough up a lot to cover the rest.

(This is assuming you already have some sort of speakers you could hook up to it though)

>vinyls

I've seen so many people on social media getting these for Christmas and making claims that vinyl sounds much better than CD and shit. When the truth is with the size of those speakers you'd be better off listening to Spotify free on stock iPhone headphones.

>vinyls
>needle

Stick to your mp3 player, sonny jim.

this

I work at a retail store and we sell crosleys, is there any way I can warn people i'm checking out about how shitty they are without looking like a pretentious asshole?

Just straight up tell people they damage records. There's no need to be pretentious about it, just tell them the truth and suggest an alternative.

The reasons why they're bad are very simple to explain, really.

The stylus (or just call it the needle if they're a real basic bitch) presses too hard on the records which damages the grooves where the musical information is, as well as the platter itself not supporting the record entirely with a solid flat surface, which can contribute to warping.

Them sounding bad due to the small, low quality speakers should be pretty evident to anybody upon mentioning it.

Also make sure to mention, especially if they say something dumb like "Oh well I only need something basic for now" that they're better off waiting until they have enough money for something proper rather than buying something cheap that will damage their expensive vinyl investment.

>It wasnt a crosley
It's a re-branded Crosley.

Jumping in on this thread.

I recently got an aiwa stereo cassette receiver cx-780, and I want to know if its OK or if it will mess up my records? Is aiwa a decent brand?

>asking your mom to buy you a turntable
>expecting anything but this shit

just ask for money next time.

I didnt ask her, she just wanted to give me one so I didnt have to pull out her giant turntable every time

>vinyls