11 Indisputable Reasons Music Sucks Now

1. Music (you are allowed to hear) has so much money behind it, it MUST succeed to turn a profit.
why modern music sucks, reasons music sucks now more than ever
It’s been scientifically proven that repeated exposure to a song makes you like it more. Record companies literally pummel it into your brain until you’re OK with it. Radio stations are playing fewer songs than ever because once corporations invest in an artist’s song, they peddle the shit out of it until it’s playing on repeat in your tortured noggin.

We are being held captive by crappy music. Mike Rugnetta of PBS says it’s “akin to musical Stockholm syndrome.” And we all remember being held down and force-fed “Blurred Lines” and “Fancy” recently.

2. The most popular song in music history is “Gangnam Style.”
It has more than 2.4 billion views on YouTube. Quality has become irrelevant. Only an artist’s image or sociopolitical persuasion holds water. For example, Rihanna has had 13 No. 1 hit singles on the Billboard Top 100 and Led Zeppelin never had one; the cast of “Glee” has had more chart-toppers than the Beatles. (This may or may not be due to declining IQ over the past century.)

3. Yesterday’s artists used to ‘rage against the machine’; now, they ARE the machine.
Pink Floyd told the Man to “leave those kids alone.” Beyonce wants to be the Man and ban words. Everything is safe and easily digestible — like baby food. No one expresses what’s in their heart anymore; they only want to make it to the charts, which inevitably leads to stale, superficial tracks that are “in” one week and “out” the next.

4. Music corporations literally hate you.
Tony Bennett said in 2014, “The corporations took it over and they want to make so much money that they don’t care whether the public likes it or not…they think the public is ignorant, so their attitude is, ‘Don’t give them anything intelligent, because it won’t sell.'”

Other urls found in this thread:

craveonline.com/mandatory/1062828-11-reasons-music-sucks-now-more-than-ever
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

5. Truffle butter sells.
Sex sold well for a while, but today’s artists have taken it a step further. For those of you who aren’t in “the know,” truffle butter is feces that accumulates on your penis after you pull out during anal sex. It was also the name of Nicki Minaj‘s most popular song this year.

Nicki, for the sake of all that is holy, please take your starship to Mars and make like Arnold Schwarzenegger’s eyes in “Total Recall.” You’re the reason an artist’s music only matters if they have recently posted a picture of their butthole on Instagram.

6. Focus groups rule the artist.
The industry is infested with noncreative types making creative decisions on behalf of the artist. Beyonce’s “Run the World (Girls)” took six writers and four producers; “Bohemian Rhapsody” took one man. A team of nobodies wrote Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” One man, Rivers Cuomo, composed Weezer’s music for 20 years and maintained the band’s integrity. Look at TV and film if you want another reason to hate focus groups.

7. The Billboard 100 is full of idiots, morons and losers.
Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Macklemore, One Direction, Skrillex, Nick Jonas, Chris Brown, Meghan Trainor. All of them are on the list. Maybe I’m going through a bad phase of Grampa Simpson, but I see a problem of apocalyptic proportions with this.

8. Sampling.
Why not call it what it is? Stealing. Jay Z just settled in court after getting caught ripping off some Egyptian crooner to make 1999’s “Big Pimpin.” He threw money at the problem (money he made after “Big Pimpin” catapulted him to superstardom) and won. This is just one example in a literal New Wave of preferring laziness and theft to actually giving a shit.

9. Rock has been castrated.
In 2015, such softies as Fun., Ed Sheeran, Coldplay and Maroon 5 topped the charts. In 1997, we had The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sugar Ray, Everclear, Third Eye Blind and The Wallflowers. Something changed (though one can argue rock in general has been progressively neutered since the 1960s).

On a side note, could you imagine Pamela Anderson and Fun’s Nate Ruess banging on a yacht? Me neither.

10. Critics are vilified as “haters.”
As we all know, being a “hater” in today’s society is the gravest sin. I’m sorry, but when did it become trendy to call someone with a different opinion a hater? I’m not a hater, I just hate you. You’re terrible.

11. Science backs me up, so eat me.
Since 1955, music has become utterly homogenous. Variety is gone. According to Scientific American, “Musicians today seem to be less adventurous in moving from one chord or note to another, instead following the paths well-trod by their predecessors and contemporaries.”

Everything’s the same, and everything sucks.

21 21 21

fuck am i on youtube

Go away please

Holy shit I didn't realize how Reddit this place had become

this all assumes i only listen to music with a radio, which is wrong.
get gud filthy casul

holy fucking shit dude

>Music you are allowed to hear has so much money behind t it MUST succeed to turn profit

False, bandcamp and soundcloud have brought artists like Will Toledo to the forefront of Indie Rock with hardly any money behind it.
I also went to Salvation Army and bought a lot of recording stuff for like $15

>Radio
The radio has always been dominated by repetition and bad songs. How do you think Capitol made its money in the 1950's and 60's and 70's-through gimmiks and radio play.

>Most popular song in music history is gangum style

If you are simply defining popularity by media consumption you are doing it wrong. It was a meme, it does not matter how good or bad it is. People do not critically put that song up next to Paranoid Android and other critically acclaimed songs.

>Artists are the machine

Who gives a shit? I mean, really. Who cares.

>Music corporations hate you

Thats why Sufjans label braves this website when they release shit and talk with us. Like, thats badass.

Okay smartass. Go to your nearest club or music venue and tell me what you hear. Was it good?

You myopic little worms don't even understand what you're complicit in by laying around.

But user the nearest music venue is a theater that regularly puts on orchestral concerts

Reasons why the music industry is great right now.

1.You no longer have to be tied to a label to release material to a wide range of people online through Bandcamp and soundcloud. Will Toledo is a prime example of this.

2. Smaller labels care a lot about their fans. AK-sufjans label-posts here every time they release something. At least for Sufjan. They really care about their buyers.

3. Pop music has become more and more interesting due to people turning away from artists like the Black Eyed Peas and such. You cant tell me Beyonce, arguably the most well known musician right now, makes worse music than what was popular in 2009 on the radio.

4. The internet has made it so people can develop their taste and listen to more music. In the 60's 70's and 80's before the internet was popular you only got your music through live acts, radio,or how far your dollar went. The internet has become musics best friend.

5. Critics are more important now.
Critics are everywhere now, and they are easily seen and heard. You do not have to read the news or a publication now to get your music opinions, but rather RYM is a community built around it and people like Marcel who would not of ever reached any form of reach in the 80's exist and are taken seriously

Fair enough.
Still think it's funny how triggered people get when you point out the dick they're clearly sucking on.

posting in a pastab8 thread

>none of these are arguments

aside from #8 and your obvious bias towards classic rock, i totally agree op.

the music industry is a fucking disaster, and the general public are complete morons for buying into it.

braindead plebs here are gonna give you shit because they've been indoctrinated into the system of poptimism via paid off industry shills like p4k and fantano. but just know that the majority of posters here are no better than the assholes who "just listen to whatever's on the radio." the only difference is that they just listen to whatever mainstream music journalism tells them to instead.

fuck the system, and fuck the complacent dumbshits who perpetuate it.

>fuck the system, and fuck the complacent dumbshits who perpetuate it.

haha check it out guys he posted it! he posted the fedora meme. such a silly hat!

This is ultimately my point. Maybe this comes across as a tangent or whatever, but look around your city real hard, and I guarantee you find someone who, just for example, is every bit as good at guitar as Yngwie Malmsteen. And there are brilliant songwriters hanging out literally everywhere. We don't value those people when we meet them face to face. When it matters.

The only way you could think CSH is relevant as either some sort of beacon of creativity or as a viral hit, is if you only go on the internet.

B+
Good consistency, realistic enough to be believable, just subtle enough to be taken seriously. Great b8ing skills, OP.

>Anyone who dares to question or critique potential problems in our society is some basement-dwelling loser.
This is a fantastic growth mind-set we've got going here. Here let me just hold my head still for you so you can lobotomize it. At least then you guys won't say I wear a fedora right?

>brb pasting clickb8 for (You)s
wew

IKR WAKE UP SHEEPLE

to all the people posting lazy simplistic replies about how this is bait/reddit/youtube:

why exactly do you disagree with it?

> In 1997, we had The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sugar Ray, Everclear, Third Eye Blind and The Wallflowers
none of these are good

btw I found the parent article craveonline.com/mandatory/1062828-11-reasons-music-sucks-now-more-than-ever

Todays music sucks and is all about mass marketing douchey gangster themes to the youth and out for the sole purpose of profit. Hip hop and rap sucks, and its not music, its douche bags who think their hot shit who filter their voices to the point that its not even original. Seriously, what happened to good old instruments and vocal talent. I admit there are some real bands out their today, but most aren't know because the average teen with no real sense of music will choose the fake hip hop singer over true talent. And about the radio shit, yes he's talking about the radio, but he's taking about the MUSIC on the radio, not the commercials you fucking dip shit. Music now sucks dick, back in the early 80-60s true musicians existed and people with real musical taste

Save it, dubs. Board of filthy heretics who choose to ignore what's in plain sight.

Yeah. This unironically needs to happen.

You guys have constructed this negative archetype of those who are dissatisfied with the current state of things and by doing so you have ensured that nothing will ever change because everyone is too afraid to speak up now and be pigeonholed into the stereotype of pic related. It's pretty sick t b h.

chekt and rekt.

Pretty much every well adjusted person loves the establishment, only childish people who live in a perfect society but want to rebel anyway are anti-establishment.

>implying

i'm not going to argue with you about sociopolitical opinions, but to keep this music related, look at what the establishment has done to music alone.

if you love this, then you don't actually love music.

Pop musicians have always been part of the "machine," whether that fact made them rage or not. Are you really gonna say artists like The Rolling Stones or Michael Jackson weren't marketed as big name products? Nowadays people don't even necessarily have to depend on labels to get their shit out there, so in many ways it's easier than ever to get right to the good shit.

Nice ones

people listen to what they want, who cares if they shit taste. This thread is people stroking their own cool taste, please fuck off.

what if i listen to vaporwave

then good on ya. also nice dubs

thanks, your dubs are pretty nice too

commercial pop music sucks and its all the music you really hear if you don't actively look for it
musicin generally is still good

good post. good dubs. hi lauren.

hi user thanks

Citation needed: the thread

someone already posted it earlier

may I see your peepee, lauren?

;)

Am I supposed to be upset with this or something?
Am I supposed to get buttmad because you're talking shit on radio pop music?

Because i'm not. :^)

The fuck are you smoking

>Music (you are allowed to hear)

The fuck does this even mean?

I don't think the music commonly played in public has ever been considered the standard of "good music", just calm down

this desu

idiot

It's been like several years since I've been in touch of mainstream music. I still don't know why Sup Forums likes shit like Drake tho

>I still don't know why Sup Forums likes shit like Drake tho
fucking this. this board is like 75% normie plebs who only care about to drake and kanye and grimes and radio trash like them.

When it comes to mainstream radio music I get your point but this is a golden age for Sup Forumscore and underground music, it's all more accessible than ever. Otherwise, this just looks like some more "hurrr i was born in le wrong generation xD" whining.

There is still good music being made you just need to push aside the piles of trash and look deeper. It's easy to say music is trash and going downhill when all you listen to is the radio.

Contrary to what Sup Forums wants you to believe, listening to any form of music doesn't require a high intelligence quota. None of your other points dignify a response.

1997 we had lots of great things, like TLCW

>3. Pop music has become more and more interesting

0/5

>0/5
no that was 3/5 you dumb shit, learn how to fucking count