What's Sup Forums's opinion on Saving Private Ryan? Any other good WW2 movies you think are good?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Saving Private Ryan? Any other good WW2 movies you think are good?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart's_Funnies
youtube.com/watch?v=_8EkmyoG83Q
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZSrVN7lAo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the greatest story never told is by far the most accurate and one of the best movies about that era

generation war

I felt it was over produced and the story was meh, give Come and See and Das Boot a try

the pianist

it was an OK flick

try watching Band of Brothers

Haven't seen it. I can't stand to look at or listen to Tom Hanks.
Wheels of Terror is pretty good.

>guy destroys a fucking tank with a pistol
>good

Watch Das Boot.

Holy shit are you watching this on a&e

the scene at the end where the p51 destroys the tank while Tom Hanks is firing his sidearm at it always seemed unrealistic. I think Tom Hanks would have been killed too.

Memphis Belle

Letters from Iwo Jima is a good one op.

Tyler, that you ?

it was an airstrike retard

I always thought Band of Brothers was a lot better.

>underrated post

This, nothing wrong with saving private ryan, dday sequence is great.
Band of brothers is incredible all the way through

Haha yes I am.

I loved band of brothers.

i was lucky enough to interview a wwii vet whom was on Omaha as a 16 year old kid. he had lied about his age to join the army. Survived Omaha, the reclaiming of France, and survived the Battle of the Bulge. He told me the beach landing scene was the most accurate depiction of Omaha that he had ever seen. Though, I think the story as a whole was taken from a collection of events, like Platoon. Other note worthy wwii films, A Bridge Too Far was good, Enemy at the Gates was entertaining, look up Generation War (Unere Mutter, Unsere Vater). Or look up the documentary With the Marines at Tarawa. good shit.

Yeah, check out Band of Brothers

Stalingrad (not the 2014 one) is a good one, though its in german, (and im sure you can find subtitles) its worth a watch,OP.

Damn Iv heard of people doing that before. Pretty cool you got to interview him! Did he say anything else that stood out? Thanks for the suggestions I'll have to give them a watch.

ive also heard that the Warsaw Uprising movie was pretty good.

The whole thread is pretty great so far
I also liked pic related tbh

I saw an interesting documentary about the Brits inventing all sorts of stuff for D-Day and offering the to US troops as well but the Americans wanted none of it so the Brits suffered much less casualties. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart's_Funnies

really good one in my opinion not historical accurate but good story

Yeah Iv been looking up all of these movies and they all look fantastic.

he had mentioned that there was a dog wandering the beach front after the battle that the soldiers befriended, they named him Omaha. after some time later they had moved further into France, one of the officers was doing a head count of his men. After which he asked "wheres that dog Omaha?" he wasnt there. so this officer got in his jeep, took 2 bodyguards with him, found the dog, and brought him back to his men.

That the German POWs were the most professional people he encountered. A far cry from what Americans were taught to believe. Though they were not allowed out at night, because they would smoke cigarettes in hopes of attracting night bombers or enemy surveillance planes.

>implying that shit was good

/thread

Thats absolutely fantastic thank you for sharing. I had no idea they would use cigarettes that way. I had always wondered about the POW after they had given up. Would they become acquaintances or just hate them? Iv always wondered that.

ITT: jew propaganda

this. bought it last week. blows saving private ryan out of the water. You can buy generation war for 20 bucks OP on ebay.

thin red line

much less bombastic than most of ryan. more feels. ftw.

the Piannist is one of the greatest war movies ever

Understandably, there was a lot of animocity between american soldiers and POWs. but not between ALL soldiers. I doubt many made "friends" with them. They guy I interviewed didn make friends with them, but also didnt hate them either.

watch this for a story about enemies becoming friends. Havent read the book yet but i really want to.

youtube.com/watch?v=_8EkmyoG83Q

It was a bomb from a mustang. Were you drunk?

My grandpa was in the army during the war, but he lucked up and became an MP stationed in San Diego.

His uncle ended up in the Navy, and served in the Pacific. He always told a story about this Japanese prisoner he became friends of sorts with. He said the guy showed him a picture or a woman and a baby, and that's how they became friends. He said that it made him realize that the evil monsters they were fighting were basically just nobodies like him, who'd been yanked off their farms and told to go fight someone elses war for them.

It also doesn't try to push an agenda. The two movies Clint Eastwood made about Iwo Jima are pretty good too.

>It was a bomb from a mustan

Or was it the bullet? I like that we'll never really know. Cliffhanger endings really are the best in my opinion.

That's crazy to me when I sit and think about it.

This. SPR had too much cheesy camaraderie. Plus the ending was totally unrealistic.

samefagging from my own post above, but that movie has one of my fav quotes ever:

1: Do you ever feel lonely?
2: Only around people.

>couldn't agree more

As far as my feet can take me, greatest war movie not really about war

>Saving Private Ryan?
It was good. The opening sequence of the D-Day landing was incredible and appropriately terrifying, but then it kind of slowed down and ended on a sappy note.
Solid 4/5 though.

>other good WW2 movies
Check out 'The Thin Red Line'.
Best WWII film in my opinion.

you mean like the .45 round went through the driver window, struck a High Explosive round, and blew up the tank like that. Then the Mustang just so happened to fly right over making it seem like he did it and stole Miller's kill. i hate kill stealers!

Met a medal of honor recipient from our Korean "police action". He was a machine gunner. He said they'd hosed so many Chinese they kept having to relocate, the piles of dead obstructing field of fire. Thats right CHINESE.

He freely admits he thinks his award is bullshit, other guys did braver things than gun down a bunch of drugged up kamikazes.

or the bullet traveled down barrel and hit the impact fuse on the nose of the projectile, detonating it inside the breech.

This. Also Patton is great if you don't want a grunts POV

Watch Fury if you're into killing Nazi zombies.

>CHINESE
>kamikazes

chinese japanese dirty knees look at these

Stalingrad, Tali-Ihantala

I thought predator was a pretty good movie about the vietnam war.

BoB is fucking excellent. I thought everyone knew that

Veteranfag here, Everyone has already mentioned my pics, but even though it's not WW2, black hawk down has some of the most realistic/non billshit/ accurate combat scenes I've seen.

band of brothers is jewish propaganda. absolute garbage!

Schindler's list

my grandfather was in the coast guard during WWII. he was at normandy on D-Day. a few years ago, he gave me a Mauser K98 rifle he smuggled back.

>veteran homosexual
>most realistic combat i've seen was in a movie

not sure how dumb you need to be to lie this poorly.

Hollywood trash... gore was fairly realistic. That was about it. Oh and decent sound effects.

Actually in all seriousness some parts of the film are very well done. Other parts leave a lot to be desired.

That's one of my all time favorite movies.

Don't have to be Japanese to use bumrush tactics. The N.Koreans did too. Casualties were of little concern.

It's decent but honestly I'll never understand why they cast Matt Fucking Damon as Ryan. Fuck that guy.

My father was with the 1st Ranger Battalion, would agree with BHD. He was so close to going to Mog. He and his unit were on a plane in Georgia waiting for the orders to go. but they never came. apparently he knew Cliff Wolcott too.

Tom Hanks is a fucking god are you kidding?

The book was better.

Inglorious Bastards was a trash story but many Nazis get dead.

Awesome film.

Really?

Band of Brothers
/thread

ammo hard to find?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZSrVN7lAo

Best WW2 film I've found yet. Free on youtube.

>but many Nazis get dead.

Just like real life.

This

8mm mauser...it's on most ammo sites...i picked up some surplus from a gun show...date stamped 1944. shot it a few times...that bitch kicks like a fucking mule...the steel butt plate don't help much, either.

Once they began to have interaction with everyday German soldiers, they realized most were just avg joes doing their duty. Most American GIs gained a lot of respect for German soldiers as the war went on. They did however hate the SS.

April 9th
About a small company of Danish troops during the Nazi invasion of Denmark.
Not amazing but I really liked it for some reason.

If you're halfway smart you'll enjoy The Imitation Game. Because computer science is life.

Tora! Tora! Tora! Excellent, excellent film. And for a sequel (temporally speaking) try Midway.

Britbongs during ww2 wut? did that country even exist during ww2?

monuments men was an interesting perspective on the war. SPR was a decent movie...i don't know that it would make my all time top 10 list

U-571 was entertaining despite of being really inaccurate

you dad who never went to Somalia says the movie is accurate?!

I thought it was great. I knew a guy years back that was on the beach. Asked his opinion of the movie, and he said it was pretty accurate, but the reality was much bloodier. He actually loved telling war stories, and we loved hearing them. Dude was a fucking badass no question.

movie is shit, opening scene is great.

It's about en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu

I think Enigma is more digestible, and brings in all kinds of threads. Plus it has Kate in it.

>implying soldiers dont swap war stories.
>implying he didnt know anyone there.

Please Sgt. Eversman, tell us what REALLY happened there.

YES!
I like the Japanese Admiral.
"This is a bad idea"
Loose summary of the movie.

Not a film but 'The Pacific' is well worth a watch.
10 episodes by the same guys who made band Of Brothers.

I was kidding. I've never read it, but it's based on a novel called Schindler's Ark. There really was an Oskar Schindler who prevented like 20 Jews from being deported to Palestine so that he could keep them as slave laborers in his factory, but everything else in the story is made up.

Iv watched that and it was outstanding.

the longest day is still the best movie about this period. God like cast.

>hear shit 5th hand
>partake in story time

it's just a pointless thing to mention. you weren't there. your dad wasn't there. yet you think you have something to add to the veracity of what took place.

Could never be as good as Band of Brothers because no Damian Lewis but it has the dude from Mr. Robot in, so there's that.