I don't understand why the family left the town, or got kicked out for. Someone explain?

I don't understand why the family left the town, or got kicked out for. Someone explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10291374
strawpoll.me/10291132
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no i don't want to

The father was on trial for being prideful. I guess that was like a sin or something.

its supposed to add to the mystery of the movie that maybe one is a witch

Prideful conceit.

He probably disagreed with the town's interpretation of scripture and thus their rules. And he was probably a dick about it.

Man we had a great VVitch thread earlier today that I was monitoring all through work

the viewer doesn't really need to know the specific circumstances to follow the narrative other than it involved his prideful, arrogant, and absolutist nature. make up your own reason and carry on, mate.

Just saw it.

Literally masterpiece

Yep. Glad to see some discussion on this board besides politics and capeshit.
Does anyone remember how they obtain Phillip to begin with?

I would guess they brought him from the village. Ive only seen it once but when I rewatch I'll be more observant of him.

Not sure if they had him in England and brought him over or if they bought him in the town in NE. Where was that supposed to be anyway, Plymouth?

Thanks for the replys, this movie was perfect

I really enjoyed it too. Any kind of semi-authentic colonial era stuff is really interesting to me so this movie was great.

It's pretty neat that there were little kids in the early 1600s who were living in this strange unknown land, hearing things out in the woods, having the same little kid fears that we all had. And the events in this movie was something they were distinctly afraid of.

And I mean not neat in a "haha the kids were scared, fuck them" way. But neat in a universal human condition way.

I feel stupid, what is that silhouette against the moon supposed to be?

Witch on a broomstick

lel I was doing the same thing

strawpoll.me/10291374
strawpoll.me/10291132

Why didn't Thomasin go back in the end and warn the town about the witches? Now they'll probably wipe out everyone else.

A crow with it's back to you, sitting on a branch.

Archive link? I will suck your dick

Witches get burned when they stick around towns. That's why they were in the wild fucking with nomads.

Just leave my dick alone please

You can still suck my dick

>having the same little kid fears that we all had.
And then growing up to be adults with intensified versions of the same fears and literally murdering each other over nothing.

There are no witches. Just the Devil. Thomasin doesn't become a witch in the end, she just signs her soul over to the Devil. When she's floating away in the last scene, all the other witches she perceived have vanished and it's just her. Because there never were any other witches. Just the Devil in different forms.

copy pasting someone else's from the last thread:

Because she had been broken down over the film.

She feels guilty over losing baby Sam. The only sibling who didn't torment her, Caleb, got lost with her and she saw him die horribly. The twins were horrid to her and then accused her of witchcraft and they were then attacked or taken or otherwise affronted by the witch.

Her mother scorned her after the loss of baby Sam, and her father let the mother treat her like crap all the while knowing he had sold the silver cup. She overheard her father and mother secretly talking about sending her away. So her father, who preached and preached, was a liar himself. He also locked her up and wouldn't believe that she wasn't a witch. Then she saw him die. Then her mother tried to kill her, and she had to kill her herself.

There was no way to go back from that.

If she went back to the plantation, the best life she could hope for (as the daughter of an outcast man whose entire family perished under mysterious circumstances) would be working as a servant. Satan offered her things she clearly missed from England (she prized the pretty glass windows so much, and he offered her luxuries like butter and pretty clothes) and gave her a freer--though sinful--life.

(I'd also add that she would have been accused of witchcraft herself.)

because they granted her literally everything she wanted? Imagine being in a society without travel, without fucking BUTTER, without nice clothes, where you're told all those things are evil and distractions and then someone comes along and grants you all those things. It's like the magic carpet from Aladdin and more. She can travel the world and do whatever she wants without puritanical, repressed cuckkks telling her what to do and when to do it. She didn't have to marry and get impregnated by some nobody fuck just because she was a woman.

Literally why in the hell would she go back and warn people that Satan had killed her family? They would have just blamed her like her own family did.

Love you lots. Thanks mate.

I was merely pretending!

Director said there were witches.

why would anyone leave england to go to 1700-1800 american anyway?

Monarchies are for fags.

This took place in the 1600s. The biggest migrations during that time were related to religious freedom.

How did you not get that the characters (or at the very least, the father) were puritans?

I just thought the other witches were not in the shot.

this might get a little deep but

>VVitch
>VV
>W
>Witch

They thought butter and cloths where evil?

fag

yeah to bad she has to go to hell now though

yeah i know about all of that but it's still not a good trade off

Puritans are fucking retarded

why was the dad such a shit provider for his family

Convinced all my friends to watch this movie. Was super excited, love period dramas. Everyone hated me when it ended anticlimatically.

They used to persecute Puritans and other "non-conformists." It wasn't some bare HDI calculation.

he believes in them, so yeah, there were witches

She used the baby's blood to fly a broomstick. Loved the way they did it, how subtle it was that you kinda gotta really look to see it. If they actually showed a full image of a witch flying on a stick thatd be awful

They rarely chose to at that time. Mostly they were persecuted or run out for being religious fanatics. Thats why so many of the early settlers were puritans.

In this sense the film is allegorical for their exile from the town/uk for the father's unwavering and regressive adherence to a doctrine that set them apart, and they were forced to strike out in thw wild/america to make a new life

You are right. Other user is just a bullshit theory. Common here on Sup Forums to interject complex personal theories that don't exist in the film according to the author and the director.

I scored the blu-ray recently. The commentary with the director (who also wrote the script) is pretty good. It BTFO a lot of the bullshit theories by all the neet faggots here on Sup Forums.

To be fair, it's not that butter and nice clothes were evil. Thomasin's family was wearing decent clothing in the opening scene, before they had to sell basically everything to build their own house, plant crops, get the animals, etc.

It's that butter and a pretty dress were luxuries that Thomasin did not have, and with the direction her father took (taking them from a comfortable life in England, then from a somewhat comfortable life in the plantation, to bumfuck nowhere in the woods barely scraping by, and being an outcast on top of that) she would never be able to obtain them.

So what Black Philip tempted her with were the luxuries that she desperately wanted, and had no way to obtain. Living deliciously would mean she'd get to enjoy all these luxuries that were denied her.

what theories? Is it worth watching with the commentary?

all of my friends except one fell for the hype, complained that it wasn't scary enough, the one guy that got it thought it was great

Maybe it isn't about nothing.

Just all the bullshit how there are no witches, or the witches are all manifestations of the devil, etc.

Yes, the director commentary is good. He is kind of a stuttering nerd, but it really dispels a lot of the stupid things you will hear on Sup Forums. And he is the final authority on the matter, since he wrote AND directed it. The story is totally his.

The dad messed everything up.

I wasn't even aware their were theories about this movie people had... like what?

Yep.

He got them kicked out of the plantation, he had them live on the edge of the woods, he sold the silver up without telling his wife, he took Caleb into the woods without telling her, he locked the kids in the shack, etc.

>corn made everyone hallucinate
>witches were projections of paranoia
>they all were suffering from isolation and starvation based hysteria
>the devil created the witches as a platform with which (lol) he could tempt thomasin
>the twins were the devil

Idk, there have been heaps

Stupid ass theories I have heard on Sup Forums:
Thomasin is mentally ill and imagining it all
There is only one witch
There are no witches, only manifestations of Satan

The director BTFO these theories. Sorry, the story is literal. A banished family goes to live in the deep countryside. There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven. Satan is Black Phillip (and also appears in human guise near the end). He convinces Thomasin to sign the book of Satan, entering into a contract to serve him as a witch. She sheds her clothes and enters the woods to take her place amongst the witches. The end.

Yes, those too. All the retarded ones are coming back now. Fuck, people are fucking stupid.

If that was the story he was attempting to present, he did a really shitty job.

How so? Because that's exactly what happens in the film.

But that's exactly what happens in the film you mongoloid

By having nothing supernatural happen in such a way as it can be witnessed by more than one person.

He actually did a perfect job to 95% of people who watched it. But there will always be that 5% who try to interject sybmolism and theories into that simply don't exist in the original text according to the author himself. You WANT to be more complicated than it is, but it JUST ISN'T.

A story doesn't have to be multi-layered or deceiving to be good. Take the Exorcist for example. A girl is literally possessed and exorcised by two priests. The end. Inb4 The Exorcist sucks. If you think that, just stop watching horror and go back to capeshit.

Do you have autism?

>By having nothing supernatural happen in such a way as it can be witnessed by more than one person.

That event was literally when Caleb threw up the apple and everyone's fears had been realized.

>a delirious person regurgitating a small piece of fruit = supernatural

dad kept fuckin his daughter

>3holy5you

This movie sucked. I thought when Caleb was mirring his sister's tits something would come of it. But nothing fucking happened.

What is the significance of the father constantly chopping wood, and later getting buried in it?
Thomasine called him out on it being the only thing he was good at.

dude holy fuck adam & eve and the apple you dense fuck

>a child swallowed an apple (which did not grow in those parts) whole, and just happened to regurgitate it while screaming about being witched

l-m-a-o

>the crabapple of knowledge

wow, what version of the bible is that from?

crabapples are all over newengland what are you smoking

he spent all his time chopping wood instead of properly looking after his family and their well being, and in the end he was buried in the wood he spent so much time on.

Did the witch fuck the kid?

ye

>Black Phillip's Bible

it all makes sense!

It revealed his impure thoughts and foreshadowed his temptation by the real witch, you dangus.

This movie was fucking disappointing. Instead of proving the backwards and superstitious christians wrong the movie instead proves them to be right. They had every reason to irrationally fear a forest, they had a reason to fear (lol) witchcraft and they should of stayed in their shitty bible camp. This movie would of been better had the witches/devil had not been real but figments of their imagination caused by their religious extremism.

They weren't any apple trees by them. Addressed earlier in the film. Watch it with subtitles if you have trouble understanding dialogue ;)

The film is literally called a NEW ENGLAND FOLKTALE. Folktale. Folktale. Folktale. Repeat it until you understand.

>There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven.

I wanted to believe that Thomasin was a witch since the very beginning without necessarily being aware. Thomasin's oddly specific and descriptive joke about herself being a witch seemed to be telling in regards to knowledge that no one knew she possessed. Her little sister was thoroughly convinced as anyone would've been if not for truly knowing her. Even Caleb seemed haunted by her acting. Also, we never see Thomasin ever confront the witch that terrorizes her family. She's alone in the woods with Caleb when he finds the witch's home, which is possibly an illusion, as Thomasin has now taken the likeness of a beautiful, exotic figure that happens to know of Caleb's particular fascinations.

Thomasin's first contact with the witch involves time/perception manipulation where it only seems like an instant before Sam is stolen, seemingly into the woods. Perhaps Thomasin took the baby herself into the woods as she admittedly, jokingly, to her sister and gave him over to the devil herself while being manipulated all the while. It's her susceptibility to witchcraft that makes her a target and enables the witches to use her against the rest of the family.

The only witch that the family ever comes in contact with is Thomasin with the children being influenced by Black Phillip.

This is what I want to believe.

>implying they ever actually looked

dad knew absolutely dick about living off-plantation

I thought the point was their fears of the forest weren't irrational, just misplaced. As the head of their family had no fucking clue what he was doing.

So were the twins actually witches, or at least in league with Black Phillip? Them forgetting the prayers when Caleb was sick was pretty telling IMO

>I don't understand why the family left the town, or got kicked out for.
IQ pic for Sup Forums was right.
This people can understand only capeshit and GoT.

R E T A R D
E
T
A
R
D

>kids panic when people are screaming at them?
>must be satan

I thought Sup Forums was full of pedos you should know this shit.

>oddly specific and descriptive joke

It wasn't, though, in the context of the times. To people in this era, witches were real, and everyone knew that is what they did.

>Literally masterpiece
Are you retarded?

It was OK. Sadly not scary at all, never. At one point I even hoped for a jump scare because it's better than nothing.

The baby-churning sequence was pretty horrifying. Until you realize it was just a dream.

not only did the kids NOT panic, they pretended to be of similar illness as their dying brother which was clearly bizarre; although i'll admit, with them being so young, they may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation. the twins compulsion to stick with the act was clearly something abnormal and the father knew this to the point where he was forced to threaten their lives.

>buried in it
This shit was so dumb.

The pieces didn't even really fell on him, they rolled. I was chopping wood for probably a few hundred hours my life and those things aren't that heavy. They would hurt him a lot but definitely not kill him.

I am a super fucking casual when it comes to horror movies and usually anything will frighten me but this movie while entertaining wasn't scary in the least bit. Also Thomasin had a nice ass for a white girl. Must be the Argentina in her.

The fucking goat horn to the stomach is what killed him t. Hill billy.

They conducted themselves as if everything was a game because they had no idea what was going on. They only got attention when they did shitty things, so they were little shits.

The kids did panic, though. They were forcing themselves into hysteria, similar to what may have happened in other "witch trials" where victims suddenly couldn't remember prayer, or had convulsions.

>The director BTFO these theories. Sorry, the story is literal. A banished family goes to live in the deep countryside. There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven. Satan is Black Phillip (and also appears in human guise near the end). He convinces Thomasin to sign the book of Satan, entering into a contract to serve him as a witch. She sheds her clothes and enters the woods to take her place amongst the witches. The end.
How did the director BTFO anyone? This is literally what the movie shows us. There is nothing to not understand about it. It's all there.

Are you guys retarded?