Who do you think is objectively the best bassist?

Who do you think is objectively the best bassist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=30YT0cG2EkE
youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWvhGE7CM
youtube.com/watch?v=3NZGbD236fw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZwgRUzvCefE
youtube.com/watch?v=I-3VwW9SMA4
youtube.com/watch?v=wVtRDxm0txw
youtube.com/watch?v=H_X7mMU6Gb0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

kwon mina

the ox

that's a sick strap.

probly mingus

this hick

WRONG

>who do you think
>objectively best
You don't understand the word "objective", do you?

Maybe best slap bassist? Primus sux

hugh hopper

Joe Dart has some outrageous technicality. Stanley Clarke or Victor Wooten?

youtube.com/watch?v=30YT0cG2EkE

youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWvhGE7CM
Cmon faggots fucking fight me with examples

Not the best and almost not a bassist but still a great

youtube.com/watch?v=3NZGbD236fw

I hesitate between Jaco Pastorius and Les Claypool

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwgRUzvCefE

What about the voice of Geddy Lee

John Paul Jones

this is so fucking shit. literally no sense of phrasing or musicality, just meandering shredding and disconnected licks with all that bullshit strumming in between. tone is pretty awful too.
sheehan is undeniably a good bassist with some real insight but this is not a good solo.

Im like really not good with music theory so I can't really criticize it the same way you could but to me the problem is its just noodling that doesn't really stand out or really communicate anything and its often plagued with muddiness. Maybe it sounded more clear at the actual even but yeah from the recording there's moments where the fast runs down the lower register strings sounds like an indistinguishable blur.

I really don't have anything against bass solos but yeah you have to be more careful in how you go about them than guitar.

hello

It's mindless showboating, but it's a great solo and you're obviously green with envy.

Has my vote.

Best living would be Victor Wooten, true master. Flea a close second despite RHCP being a meme here.

trevor dunn

>Who do you THINK is OBJECTIVELY the best bassist?
You best stop trolling nigger

Lemmy.

i don't intend to spend my evening being dragged into an argument about a youtube video on Sup Forums so i'm not going to say more than this. i envy billy sheehan's technical ability and devotion/passion for his instrument, but i don't see how that specific video even comes close to being a 'great solo'. to me, mindless showboating is the opposite of what i think of as making a good solo (or good music in general) and it seems clear that our criteria for what makes these things 'good' or 'bad' are wildly different. either that or you're confusing a great player with a great performance, in which the dispute then is basically a trip-up over language.

>You can't think objective things

Objectively? Chris Squire.

Edgar Meyer

youtube.com/watch?v=I-3VwW9SMA4

All good concert solos are mindless showboating. It's kinda the point otherwise, why the fuck would you break to them instead of soloing in a song? If you check the other videos, you'll notice they're a bit sloppy in places too. It's what happens when you play live. You can ague about composition, but live solos are meant to show off an artist's capabilities, and that one did.

his bass tone was thick

One of the best bass tones ever imo. That shit was the bones of their sound, and their sound was fantastic.

Also, Esperanza Spalding deserves a mention.

unironically this guy

>34 Replies
>Not a single mention of pic related
Let's fix that shall we?

by what metrics

technically wooten, clarke (and many others) are better at slapping.

also, claypool is know for his slap but his finger style and tapping are impressive too. I mean listen at jerry was a racecar driver and nature boy.

Dart is underrated, dude has some great technical ability. Not sure how well he does composing though so it's really hard to gauge where he ranks among bassists.

You get an upvote from Oakland Park, FL.

Geddy or Chris Squire

+1 Tony Levin

unironically this

Esperanza Spalding is such a qt

wank

i never liked lightning bolt but this was cool as fuck post more

>think
>objectively

this is an oxymoron, son. Just like what you are

this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=wVtRDxm0txw

jack casady