Yes, this album sucks and all reviewers in the world are part of a secret society and decided to praise it for no reason

>Yes, this album sucks and all reviewers in the world are part of a secret society and decided to praise it for no reason
Do people really believe this ? Name one relevant reviewer that didnt like this, it's great

brow why do you care what others think about music

name one relevant reviewer who did like this

Hardmode: No Antoine

inb5 op names a ton of reviewers and you say none of them are relevant

depends who he brings up

if he comes up with p4k, quietus, cos, tmt, etc. then I'm going to laugh in his face

no reviewers is relevant. theyre not a thong in music that matters

Not OP here, but who do you consider "relevant" reviewers?

Ian Cohen.

fuck off Ian

>Caring about whet reviewers say instead of forming your own fucking opinion

I already said it's great
My point is why cant people accept other peoples opinion is genuine

people who don't listen to Solange

In an age where we can check out music for ourselves without having to pay money for it, all music reviewers are irrelevant

But there is so much stuff out there.
Trusting music reviews is convenient

Lots of shitty music gets great reviews.

It definitely is convenient if you are someone who doesn't actually care enough about music to go out and listen to it yourself.

especially when the reviewers are demonstably pushing political agendas

whoops. I wasn't meant to say that

The point is that some people just don't like black music-- it has zero appeal to them-- and that rather than pretending like black music appeals to them in order to seem progressive, they flat out say they don't like it. Seeing as music journos tend to be hipsters, and since hipsters tend to be the exact type to engage in tokenism and pretending to like things for social justice points, the people who don't like black music go "hmmmmmmmmm, how could this have possibly gotten AOTY when it's difficult to see how the record has that broad of an appeal?", and they don't go as far as to say it's a "secret society" as you did, but they do actually believe that hipsters pick albums to rally behind for purely political reasons, and this is one of them. Beyonce's Lemonade was another one of them.

What the fuck is a reviewer?

Do black people really like Solange? Or it's just black music for white people?

It's black music for dumb people

Who is this dude?

Dumb music for dumb white people who think they're listening to Black music for smart (woke) people

The point is that some people just don't like white music-- it has zero appeal to them-- and that rather than pretending like white music appeals to them in order to seem progressive, they flat out say they don't like it. Seeing as music journos tend to be hipsters, and since hipsters tend to be the exact type to engage in tokenism and pretending to like things for social justice points, the people who don't like white music go "hmmmmmmmmm, how could this have possibly gotten AOTY when it's difficult to see how the record has that broad of an appeal?", and they don't go as far as to say it's a "secret society" as you did, but they do actually believe that hipsters pick albums to rally behind for purely political reasons, and this is one of them. neutral milk hotel was another one of them.

>relevant
>reviewer
Choose one, and only one. I don't care about reviews. I like what I like. People who need reviewers to validate their taste (or even worse, TELL them what to like) are some of the worst posters on this board. Learn to form your own opinions.

Also, reviewers only review pop music. Pitchfork and The Wire are literally no different than Billboard and MTV. They're just the indie™ versions.

black guy here
nobody even knew she came out with an album.

Hola reddito

>"woke" people
>JESUS WAS A BLACK MAN
>SOCRATES WAS A BLACK MAN
>BIX NOOD MUH FUGGA WE WUZ KANGZ

If you actually believe the two cases bear any equivalence, you might have autism.

the average black person thinks majority of the indie shit u guys like is garbage.
go play your fucking nmh in the hood see how they react

>all "white" music is indie shit
>implying I listen to indie shit

>go play your fucking nmh in the hood see how they react
holy fucking shit what an idea

you have to realize it's become trendy in the US to shit on "white" people (europeans)

I can tell that you're white, and you think you "understand" black people, but you're exactly the kind of person that your SJW idols at pitchfork would criticize for being out of touch.

Your post assumes that all black people think the same way. You talk about them as if they're some distant "other" to you. You assume that black people all live in "the hood."

Stop trying to pretend that you understand something that you clearly don't understand.

A good rule of thumb is that if something is not in your best interests, whether now or in the future, then there's no reason to support it for the sake of others unless it comes at no cost to you, that's charity. Virtue signaling is a different animal and is more like a symptom of collective suicide.

>Name one relevant reviewer
>relevant reviewer
Well now there's your problem

i am black dumbass
my family and my cousins All think that indie shit is garbage. pitchfork only praises shit the average black person doesn't even like

These. Form your own opinions, you lazy plebs.

t. suburban white boy

kek

>all major review sites have pretty much the same albums in their best of year lists
>this is just a coincidence
Why do you find it hard to believe that major record companies are giving favours to reviewers for good reviews?

honestly find that most of these "highly rated" albums are highly rated for the purposes of reviewers circlejerking their own pretentiousness in the name of "high art"

but said reviewers would never listen to the supposed albums in their own spare time

i cant stand most "professional" reviews - it's psuedo-intellectualism at it's worst

Not him but my black friends only listen to rappers like Young Thug and singers like Beyonce. Most of them have heard Don't Touch My Hair and Cranes in the Sky from YouTube but I know they didn't listen to the album because I played it for them in full at a party once.

>Mainstream pop music is a product. Not art.
>Record companies want to sell you their products.
>They don't care if the product is good or not, as long as you buy it.
>If the music is too weird/artsy, the general public will ignore it and they won't make money.
>Music journalism is a business.
>They want you to buy their magazines and read their reviews.
>They don't care if they're good or not, as long as you buy/read them.
>If the music they review is too weird/artsy, the general public won't care to read about it and they won't make money.
>They both support each other and prop each other up because it's profitable for both of them, and neither of them care about you: the consumer.
Is this hard for people to understand?

It has more interludes than good songs.

This. Its okay if you're okay really into music or art, but don't mindlessly consume corporate nonsense and claim that you're into music or art.
The same goes for people who are "really into movies" and only go see Transformers and Marvel movies, and haven't seen any classics because they're "old" or "boring."

If you say you're really into music*

>Its okay if you're okay really into music or art, but don't mindlessly consume corporate nonsense and claim that you're into music or art.
i know you mean well but again art/music is subjective and if a person gets something out of listening or in your case watching transformers movies while getting nothing out of a Tarkovsky film you can't blame them.

Anyway i understand what u mean but the end of the day you can't force somebody to get something they don't wanna like.

THIS
H
I
S

Alright, which one of you faggots was this?

Music reviews are kinda like getting a recommendation from a friend. Just cause they like it doesn't mean I will, but if they like an album it does give me a higher intensive to check it out.

It just helps to discover albums, I don't have enough time to listen everything, so reviews can at least help me form a list of things to check out.

Shot down

hi black dumbass
am white dumbass

>music is entirely subjective
Historical significance and the purpose of its creation are not subjective though.

If I say this album is objectively less important and may as well not even been made in comparison to Beethoven's 5th or Bach's Masses then would I be wrong?
Bach's work was made for God, whether or not you believe in God doesn't matter, the music itself was made for an idea rather than monetary gain like the majority of music made today, the fact Bach's music fed him was not its primary purpose.

Taste is subjective, but the merit of music itself is not. You can dislike something and call it shit, but it will always be more important and deserve more credit for its accomplishments.

TL;DR Shitting on a canvas is not expressing some idea, if it is then it is doing it poorly and likely serving the hedonistic ego of its artist, therefore it is inferior Van Gogh's work because the pretense it was made under is a lesser idea.

this

poc should be considered a racial slur. I would never want to be called a poc. It sounds like an insult.

this, i mean there's even ex-pitchfork writers claiming this.

because it's not you fuckin' moron, this album was genuinely a trash excuse for a "political album" made for people who like the idea of supporting the BLM movement.

this is what the average pitchfork writer looks like
this is the writer that gave solange BNM

maybe if your a twat that needs validation from strangers online, Jesus Christ, why do these people come here.

Thug lives matter dude, the up-start rappers are just trying to turn their lives around.

I'm black and the new solange album was fucking lame and a pathetic excuse to tag on album with a trendy movement at the moment.
>some people don't like black music
or maybe some people don't like ingenuine political albums.
Do you really think that Colombia records give a fuck about what's happening to black people now or did they just see this as a money jackpot.

black people don't give a fuck about solange
lil yachty and jeffery won this year in the black community

this
Fucking hell OP, did you come here straight from reddit?

you get it

we don't like it not because the album is "black music" it's because the commentary is hamfisted and doesn't seem genuine coming from people like solange and beyonce when their songs are written by committees of 50 people working for rich record labels. it just seems forced on these 2 albums. i'd rather listen to erykah badu for this sort of thing

Please tell us, as a black person, what is happening to black people right now.

>one person speaks on behalf of everyone
Collectivism makes people very easy to control.

shut the fuck up

>Mumble rap
>black community
lmao

/thread

idk if this is meant as an anti-blm movement, but that wasn't the point of my original comment, just denouncing that album as the commercial trash it is.

Fuck you honestly. This racist has no idea what black people go through and you go off talking about how Beyonce and Solange dont know "real struggle" and their "commentary aint real". Racism.

>t. pot stirring white boi
at least make your bait less transparent

laugh all you want but that's all my black friends listen to,excluding those at uni (which is 80% of the people i know).
my black college grad friends listen to j.cole and kendrick but no one gave a shit about solange, it's just the truth.

you guys aren't even good at this

>The Wire literally no different than Billboard and MTV. They're just the indie™ versions.

Have you ever read The Wire in your life?

one of the black people commenting here,
lol do you think beyonce or solange know's whats going on for a black guy living in brooklyn?
get fucking real, there rich and have been rich for years, they have NO problem with the police, and why should they.

if you're going to generalise us, be smarter about it at least.

But dude someone threw a lime at her once

I don't even care about muh politics for this one. It's much more frustrating that we have actually artistically talented black women like Janelle Monae and FKA Twigs that are pushing the RnB format forward with their ideas but they'll never get the kind of recognition people like Beyonce and Solange get because they aren't that deeply rooted in the commercial and business side of music.

If it had to be political, the conversation of "muh strong black independent woman" should've already been happening with Janelle Monae, FKA Twigs, Esperanza Spalding, Matana Roberts. You go across the pond to the UK, and you'll find a fair share of strong black female MCs going hard on top of grime beats (listen to Lady Chann's hard as fuck verse from the banger Topper Top for example).

Read up on reviews/analysis on these artists, and you won't see most of it dedicated to politics or race, because unlike Beyonce and Solange they have successfully fought back against racism by transcending their race, they have successfully fought back against sexism by transcending their sex. These artists are good despite their race/sex, not because of their race/sex.

What Beyonce/Solange tell us is that they fight for minorities and to inspire them, yet what they show is nothing but cash-ins on recent trends in music/politics along with a whole lot of insecurity masked by faux confidence.

I saw their AOTY list. Pure shit.

1. David Bowie – Blackstar
2. Beyonce - Lemonade
3. Young Thug - I'm Up
4. Autechre – elseq 1-5
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – The Skeleton Tree
6. Jenny Hval – Blood Bitch
7. Rihanna - Anti
8. Yves Tumor – Serpent Music
9. Gaika – Security
10. Jessy Lanza - Oh No
11. The Chainsmokers - Collage
12. Solange – A Seat At The Table
13. Kanye West – The Life of Pablo
14. Travis Scott - Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
15. Babyfather – BBF Hosted By DJ Escrow
16. Future - Purple Reign
17. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway
18. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – EARS
19. A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It From Here...Thank You 4 Your Service
20. Desiigner - New English
21. Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
22. Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
23. Kendrick Lamar – Untitled Unmastered
24. Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife 2
25. Lil Yachty - Lil Boat
26. Kaytranada - 99%
27. Steve Gunn – Eyes On The Lines
28. The Weeknd - STARBOY
29. Matmos – Ultimate Care II
30. Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom
31. M83 - Junk
32. Deadmau5 - W:/2016ALBUM/
33. Elysia Crampton – Elysia Crampton Presents: Demon City
34. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
35. D.R.A.M. - BIG BABY D.R.A.M.
36. Blink-182 - California
37. Skepta – Konnichiwa
38. Yung Lean - Warlord
39. Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct
40. Lady Gaga - Joanne
41. Die Antwoord - Mount Ninji and Da Nice Time Kid
42. Post Malone - Stoney
43. Frank Ocean – Blonde
44. Kevin Gates - Islah
45. The 1975 - I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It
46. Young Thug - Jeffery
47. Jackie Lynn – Jackie Lynn
48. Zomby – Ultra
49. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - This Unruly Mess I’ve Made
50. Drake - Views

How can you defend this garbage?

>FKA Twigs
>not commercially successful
maybe I live in a bubble but she was featured on major publications just as much as Beyonce and Solange are now.

This, very accurate

meant to tag this, definitely not whatever OP is harping.

Can I ask what's so great about this album? Tried to get into it, it sounds kinda bland and pasionless and kinda boring and I have no interest in the subject matter the album tries to handle.

>Macklememe
yeah tell me about it

Wow, that's bad.

we've already tackled that it isn't a great album

it's not shit, it's just not that good, and i'm not going to lower my standards for Solange just because she is entitled to it or whatever

I am very out of picture when it comes to new releases. Don't tell me tha the only reason this is winning AOTYs is due to its message (which is very simplistic, really). Is this really AOTY because "black woman singing about empowerment?"

Memes aside, David Bowie's Blackstar does deserve AOTY far more in every sense, I might look into this album deeper, but so far from song writting standpoint, lyrical and instrumental, nothing is impressing me or giving me something I haven't heard before. It doesn't seem to be clever with anything it tries to do (its message, the song writting itself)

I dunno, I'll try to remain open-minded, I could be wrong, so far the album is kinda obnoxious to me.

I only trust Anthony fantano. I haven't listened to this though and probably never will

She has nowhere near the commercial capital people the likes of Beyonce/Solange have. Thus why I said "not THAT DEEPLY ROOTED".

To further show that, she was just some back-up dancer for some mainstream UK music videos while she self released EP1 which led her to get a deal with an independent label. So yeah, not even close. No previous live music experience, no family connections, no big time mainstream connections, either. The fact that she got any mainstream love at all, and the fact that she was able to push RnB music so far both essentially just a couple years into doing music is pretty next level.

>Yung Lean - Warlord
How did this guy go from a le ironic meme to legit

Is this their top 50 all time??

amen to that man, amen.

it is, just a combination of white guilt and lazy journalism, I trust scaruffi will put this bs to rest whenever he reviews it.
since you know, musically, its complete trash

Nice bait.

This is the actual list:

David Bowie – Blackstar
Shirley Collins – Lodestar
Moor Mother – Fetish Bones
Autechre – elseq 1-5
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
Jenny Hval – Blood Bitch
Noura Mint Seymali – Arbina
Yves Tumor – Serpent Music
Gaika – SECURITY
Mark Ernestus’ Ndagga Rhythm Force – Yermande
Gate – Saturday Night Fever
Solange – A Seat at the Table
Kanye West – The Life of Pablo
Oren Ambarchi – Hubris
Babyfather – “BBF” Hosted By DJ Escrow
75 Dollar Bill – Wood / Metal / Plastic / Pattern / Rhythm / Rock
Anna Meredith – Varmints
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – EARS
A Tribe Called Quest – We got it from Here… Thank You 4 Your service
Carla dal Forno – You Know What It’s Like
David Toop – Entities Inertias Faint Beings
Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
Kendrick Lamar – Untitled Unmastered
Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids – We Be All Africans
Laura Cannell – Simultaneous Flight Movement
Ectoplasm Girls – New Feeling Come
Steve Gunn – Eyes on the Lines
Ian William Craig – Centres
Matmos – Ultimate Care II
Laraaji & Sun Araw – Professional Sunflow
Scott Walker – The Childhood of a Leader (OST)
Bitchin Bajas & Bonnie “Prince” Billy – Epic Jammers and Fortunate Little Ditties
Elysia Crampton – Elysia Crampton Presents: Demon City
Katie Gately – Color
Shackleton with Ernesto Tomasini – Devotional Songs
Anxiety – Anxiety
Skepta – Konnichiwa
Puce Mary – The Spiral
The Dwarfs of East Agouza – Bes
Catherine Christer Hennix – Live At Issue Project Room
Horse Lords – Interventions
Roy Montgomery – R M H Q: Headquarters
Frank Ocean – Blonde
Thalia Zedek – Eve
Charlemagne Palestine – Cathédrale De Strasbourg
Kepler Quartet – Ben Johnston: String Quartets Nos. 6, 7, & 8
Circuit Des Yeux – Jackie Lynn
Zomby – Ultra
Klara Lewis – Too
Peder Mannerfelt – Controlling Body

def agree with this,
FKA is dope, saw her live a year ago, crazy show.

stop talking about the wire as if their relevant.