So, what the fuck guys?

So, what the fuck guys?

I had some nostaligia over the first 3 Halo games today, and I started thinking back on the story and how much better it was than Destiny. Halo 2, in particular, I remember having an entrancing story that went a bit over my head as a wee lad playing the game back in November '04. About a year ago I watched a video of all of Halo 2's cutscenes and was convinced that not only was this Halo's best writing, but some of the best writing of any video game story.

Curious, I googled "best halo game story" to see if the community agrees with me. What I found was a vast majority of people proclaiming Reach to be the best Halo campaign story ever. I was shocked. Reach? Sure it had that cool last mission where you stay behind, some interesting Halsey dialogue, and Kat's ass to follow around in most missions, but to me Reach's writing is pretty non-memorable.

"The planet is getting invaded, go to different locations to fight back a little before you die"

Halo 2's story had much more going on, particularly on the Arbiter's side of things. But in these lists I saw, Halo 2 hardly gets a shoutout. I actually saw someone try to make the argument that Halo 4 had the best writing.

Is it just a bunch of kids too young to remember CE and 2 that I'm seeing, or is the community actually coming to consensus that Halo 2 ISN'T one of the best video game stories ever told?

I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Halo 2 is one of the best games of all time, easily the best halo story

you forgot the image

>mfw I liked 2 as well but friends all hated it compared to 1 and 3
>mfw I dropped out of Halo at 4 and am glad it's behind me.
4 had okay story, I actually lied its multiplayer the best which people seem to get real pissy at, sure I have a crap tone more memoralble times in 3 and even Reach, but I just liked the pacing of 4's multiplayer.
>Tried 5, fuck that noise, too much going on, fled back to Dark Souls.

Thank you. Personally, I like 3's multiplayer a TINY bit more. But there's no doubt to me that 2 had the best story and writing

I agree 100% man

4's multiplayer was great, I also really enjoyed it. It was by far the Halo I was best at. I'd regularly go like 30-3 in TDM on 4. I think the pacing just matched me better there

It's a shame about that forgettable campaign though...

the ending

Only thing I would have changed, ONLY THING, Halo 3 ranking, why did they stop this?
Ranking people based on skill, and in fact penalizing them for doing terrible by demoting them when that's how it in fact SHOULD work?
The whole, play 1000 matches and be max level regardless how garbage you really are at the game was obnoxious, seeing a general use to made me nervous, seeing an inheritor did nothing for me but tell me to aim for the lame visor.

I think Halo 2 had a good story, reach was overrated.

Pic related, one of my favorite halo moments. Masters chief fighting off a Cacodemon

im with you OP, i fucking loved halo 2 and think it's the best. i've not played any of the new ones beyond 3 and idgaf, they killed cortana and idk what's happened to MC ;_;

I had that exact same thing happen with my friends. I asked them why they thought 2 was pretty much the worst, and all I got was bullshit about it being too easy, even though you can obliterate everything in 3 without a problem. 2 shall always be my favourite

At least they gave you a reason, they only ever told me " I just don't like it"
>but, why????
"it's just not as good as 1"
>ya but what's wrong with it tho?

This image would have sufficed

2 too easy? Those faggots never tried High Charity on legendary, that much is painfully clear

Reach was the last project that Bungo did with halo and I'm seriously sad to see that. I don't want anymore halo games because it's turning into a call of duty thing where a game is released often enough for people to want more. Back when bungo was BUNGIE, and halo 3 came around, I nearly pissed myself because of how much I missed the series. I honestly thought God gave a gift to us.
I even remember the Destiny hype train that you see the front and back touching each other it was so fucking long... Then Activision came along and I had to put my brown pants on.

This
/thread

Yeah Destiny was a pretty big blunder. Apparently a second one is due for 2017. Activision can get away with this because their fans have too small an attention span to remember Bungie's chest-beating embrace of 10 years of support.

10 years? Yeah I knew that bullshit as soon as I heard it. It's like the saw WoW and said "See, ten years is possible so let's do it (as cheaply and easily as possible)"

>we all know how THAT venture turned out

Pretty sure its only suppose to go up to Halo 6, at least that's what the contract said all that time ago, but who knows.
It seriously would be depressing if they drug this old horse out any further.
Keep the Halo Universe, but focus on a different story.
>I unironically enjoyed O.D.S.T

I was surprised by the amount of hate that ODST received. I enjoyed the story, campaign gameplay, and firefight mode. I guess the whole "flashbacks" thing felt lazy to some people

I actually got that response from one of friends, however the others just said 'but is easy'. One of them, I knew for a fact, only played on fucking normal.

Have the original

I know... Saddly Bungie had been working on it for almost 10 years. Actually they were working on it since Reach. The reason they introduced the power ups was play testing for Destiny, and the open exploring came from ODST.
Activision came along during the last year of production, gutted the game, and remade it their way. With the DLC's because they wanted money.

Who the fuck plays any Halo game on anything less than Heroic? Plebs, that's who.

It always irritates me when a friend will tell me a game is "too easy" only to find out they played the game on normal difficulty.

Like, you know that most people are retarded these days so they have to make "normal mode" super fuckin easy right? Have you been playing AAA video games this past decade at all?

The only thing I didn't enjoy was getting that one achievement for Recon, the one where you have to survive to something like wave 4 final wave on legendary.
It was surprisingly difficult, even playing with my one friend who was really good at the game took a couple tries.

I fucking loved ODST. To the point where I made the armour and went to a convention in it. The shit was so strong I let a guy shoot it with a 9mm. Didn't even go through. I don't have it anymore sadly. I sold the set for 2 grand.

Endurance... That achievement. I still have nightmares.

Actually, it was Bungie's senior staff that gutted it

Joe Staten (Halo's writer) put forth a 2-hour cutscene movie that was Destiny's story. Jason Jones didn't like it, they threw it away, Joe Staten quit, and then Bungie's senior staff had to mishmash the pieces together to try to fit it all together.

Activision is to blame for rushing the game out the door and insisting DLC patch it up later, but Bungie holds 50% blame for how fucking awful Destiny was

also OP,

You sold an actually bulletproof set of ODST armor for a measly 2,000?

>tfw I started only playing games on the hardest difficulty when possible and when it doesn't give a bullshit gimmick because I find it way more enjoyable that way.
Like I cant play Lisa on Pain mode cause it finites your saves and that could really screw you over, but games like Mass Effect and Risk of Rain I'll start on the hardest difficulty, even without having ever played it before.

That is true I forgot that detail. I really wish Destiny was what it was it was supposed to be. Would have been ground breaking shit.

>Sup Forums
>random
>anything goes

BTFO

Top kek

Halo 2 was awesome so was CE and 3 multilayer was just the best I've ever played nothing compares to the first 3 Halo games and ever will IMHO. You're right about Halo 2 story I totally agree. Since Halo 3 I've only bothered with c.o.d now and again. Ive tried plenty of games since including the other Halo games but I just couldn't get away with any like I did with the first 3 Halo's.

Bullet resistant, but yeah, 2000$ dollars. I was never going to wear the thing, and the 2000$ turned to nearly 20,000$ thanks to index funds, savings bonds, and stocks. I'm going to by the destiny Titan armour next. Just don't know which. I'm thinking the new iron banner set or Shaxx

Destiny was a pie in the sky dream that neither Bungie nor Activision had the capacity to create

Blizzard (much more capable hands) attempted to do a Destiny before Destiny, but they cut the project loose when they realized it couldn't be done yet.

Activision is far too greedy to cut a project loose when it looks grim, even though this would've been smarter and Bungie's talents could've been used elsewhere.

But it's okay. Pretty soon Activision will lie and cheat one too many times, that even the mindless, casual, non-opinionated, buy-before-reviews, CoD trough crowd will stop supporting them

Halo 2 was easily the best halo.

>dual wield Needlers inbound.

Duel wielding was a mistake.

That last line seemed like you were saying that I played games on normal mode, which I don't. At worst, I play a genre of games I don't know much about on easy or normal first and then go slightly higher so that I can get familiar with everything.

Also, nice 7575

>I'm going to by the destiny Titan armour next. Just don't know which. I'm thinking the new iron banner set or Shaxx

This, to me, sounds like someone saying

>I'm going to buy the armor that the main protagonist of Homefront wears

One can only hope.

Reminds me
>I got Monument To All Your Sins in Reach
>My weapon of choice
>Needle Rifle

allowing needlers to be duel-wielded was a mistake

Will you make me the armor set from this spartan, or just help me find it? I think he's from The new Halo, which I don't plan on playing. I really just like the armor.

Never played but I get the meaning. However this set won't be to wear, it will be on a stand in my house. Good conversation piece.

Yeah that wasn't directed at you. Moreso my foolish friend Tony

>Tony you fucking idiot! Play it on hard diff like a MAN

Sure I can. But can you find his rabbit?

I have played through all the main halo games including Reach and parts of ODST. I also think Halo 2 was best, and the bits where you got to screw around as the Arbiter were what made it that for me.

Yeah that fucking cliffhanger

Anyone remember this shit right here?

Best carbonated beverage my taste buds have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Back in the days, I prolly drank enough of this to fill a small swimming pool

>Story
2 > Reach > ODST > 4 > 3 > Wars > CE >>>>>>>>> 5

>Campaign level design
Reach > ODST > 3 > 2 > CE > 4 >>> 5

>Multiplayer
2 > 5 > Reach > 3 > CE >>>> 4

>Customs
Reach > 3 > 5 > 4 > 2 > CE

I can find you the head

FUCK yes.
That shit spurred me on for days.

>Customs
>Multiplayer
>picking fucking any of the games but 3 for either of those catagories, especially fucking reach for custom

When you said 5's multiplayer was better than Reach and 3 and 4, I stopped taking your opinion seriously

I'm still a hardcore fanboy for all 3 Halo games, plus ODST and Reach.
I try to see it as one huge story, instead of several separate ones.

This.
4 and 5 completely lost me.

I like to see the Star Wars OT as one huge story, but that doesn't stop me from saying Empire is the best and Jedi is the worst

glad to see people are still here after all this time.

You have shit taste

or he just spent a minute or two on ED or Knowyourmeme

Because that's what they are dumb shit

dude i love halo but...

The game is written almost identical to Aliens, with a lot of starship trooperish tropes.

Still better than most

You "hocked" an operable ODST suit of armor? It was priceless

My reaction to this post:

>Story
Yupp 2 is best. Reach second? Okay I guess. ODST and fucking 4 over 3 and CE? ...wut

>Campaign level design
Yupp, Reach wins for that one I can agree. ODST second? maybe, I dont really remember ODST too much. CE fifth place? ...wut

>Multiplayer
2 best? I don't completely agree, but I see it. Understandab-- WHOA WHOA 5 in second place? 3 not being #1 here is bad enough, but you think Halo 5 had better mp than 3? or shit, even 4?? ...wut

>Customs
Reach #1? I don't think so, but again, not too crazy. 3 second, okay. 5 ranked over 2, 4, and CE? ...wut

Concluding thoughts:
you are a Halo 5 shill

I liked Halo 1s story best.
>Just started Halo 5

>3's multiplayer
that was actually the first game I owned on the 360 and even my nostalgia goggles aren't that strong. 3's multiplayer was fun but it isn't "good".

>3's customs
great, why I put it so high. but reach customs were objectively better, if only for forge world. same reason 5's customs are so high, actually custom games options are pitiful but the forge is insanely awesome.

good to know

well, 4's is trash, so you're objectively wrong there. and 5 certainly has problems (sprint being a big one, spawning also being pretty bad), but so does 3 (what netcode?) and reach (armor abilities, reticle bloom).

But again, I don't think any game besides 4 actually has bad multiplayer. the only slightly redeeming thing was dominion, and it had the best swatnums I guess.

>almost identical to aliens

What??? Identical to "Ring World" yes, but Aliens? Nah m8

unless you care to explain yourself...

>objectively better

Did you have that surgery where you get your bottom rib removed so you can suck your own cock?
Cause you're pretty good at it

Forge world brought fuck all to the table, it felt barren and empty. People used Foundry to its fullest extent and made some of the funnest gametypes to date even with such limited resources.
Not to mention everything in forge world felt so fucking bland for a reason I can't really put my finger on, something about it just felt like it was trying to do something Halo 3 did better. I'll admit that last bit is just my personal view on it though.

True, Foundry had better maps than Frog World ever did

And inb4
>its supposed to be barren and empty
Not my fucking point, I realize it's supposed to be a clean, blank slate for building, but everything I saw looked like a case of giving people too much to work with. In a weird way, the restrictions of Halo 3's forge led to better maps than the freedoms of Reach's forge.

>ODST and fucking 4 over 3 and CE? ...wut
no halo except 5 has a bad story. but 3's is a little to linear for me, and CE's is literally just "go here, go there, oh no floaty robot lied, blow up the ship, end". It's fun, I have no problem with it, but it isn't exactly an enthralling narrative.

>ODST second? maybe, I dont really remember ODST too much
super underrated campaign

>CE fifth place
gets a little repetitive on individual missions, that's the only reason it's ranked so low. but again, no halo besides 4 or 5 have bad level design.

>but you think Halo 5 had better mp than 3
besides sprint I really like how all the new mobility options add to the game, plus they improved the new forerunner weapons from 4 as just made several great additions to the sandbox. it's good. 3 is good too, and basically tied with Reach.

>even 4
pure trash on a disc

>5 ranked over 2, 4, and CE? ...wut
the forge in 5 really saves it. 2 and CE customs aren't flawed in any way, they're just held back by the limitations of the time.

though if we count Custom edition as CE customs it'd blow everything else out of the water.

>you are a Halo 5 shill
funny, I often get accused of being a bungie shill/fanboy on /hg/. how am I a 5 shill when 5 was in the bottom 2 for half of the categories mentioned?

>People used Foundry to its fullest extent and made some of the funnest gametypes to date even with such limited resources.
yeah, concrete warehouse with structures that looked like metal boxes. great.

I have no problem with foundry or sandbox but you loving them while hating forge world is retarded.

there's specifically an area of forge world for making foundry-sized maps, many awesome maps and games were brought over from 3 to reach.

*Endure
Wasted many hours on that damn achievement to no avail

>how am I a 5 shill when 5 was in the bottom 2 for half of the categories mentioned?

A Destiny shill isn't gonna claim the story is great. If he had to rank Destiny based on categories correlating to other games, Destiny would probably be ranked low on the "story" section