I've played all souls game yet never touch magic. I want to start a new run on DS3 as a mage

I've played all souls game yet never touch magic. I want to start a new run on DS3 as a mage.
Any advices ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JplGmG-_vgI
youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not easy to run the game by yourself as a mage due to low def. And also you don't get any high power spells until late game. Just go int and Faith mostly with a few points in str. and vitality. There's a greatsword that you get from a boss sword that's great for a mage build. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward. Get in there.

If magic play ds2. Magic is actually good there.

kill yourself

Get the hidden body spell and it becomes so much easier, but be prepared to have a way harder time until you have like 60 int

Ummmm, court sorcerer's is the best all around staff, so rush to Profaned Capitol
You're going to need to put quite a few points into vit, just the nature of the game
Would probably also rush to Road of Sacrifices for Grass Crest Shield for offhand

Ds3 is such a bad time to start with magic its kinda weak in 3

Yeah... if you plan on soloing make sure you raise Vigor or whatever stat raised health up to around 27 to give you 1000 HP even un-embered.

Being able to eat shit and survive makes the game easier.

Also stack your buffs (if using fire damage ALSO add flame clutch ring or whatever... AND bellowing dragon crest if you are casting... etc...) You want to get your damage as high as possible. The more damage you do, the less time you spend dodging the boss.

ANY sword with a guard break skill can break the guard of dragon slayer armor, and other players... I think even a broken straight sword can be kept as a backup for this. Break his guard, cast a spell at a safe distance.

Don't neglect a crossbow... even a light cross bow can be a nifty backup option for dealing ranged damage and saving spells. The ability to fire 1 shot or a burst with Avelyn (or whatever that three round burst crossbow is called) can be enough to quickly stop a player from using estus, sometimes stagger them out of a spell cast... and the ability to fire a shot, NOT reload, and switch back to your primary makes it useful on occasion.

Other than that make sure you are hitting bosses with the element they are weakest against.
Summon if you need further help.

You will want to stick to mostly weapons that scale with int (if a pure mage, int and faith if a hexer).

Good luck!

I've beaten the game with a almost pure mage build... I used only light clothes and a fire dagger up until the end. I've beaten the last boss on my second try (although this mage was my second playthrough)

Just make sure to find all the spell sellers, otherwise you might get stuck with crappy spells

Seriously, git gud faggits, mage is not that hard

wait what if i wanna make a level 25-35 INT only mage twink like i do in all soul games...? is it really that much more difficult because of no VIG? my DS1 and DS2 glass cannon twink mages were pretty damn hard to run through PVE but nothing insane

by that i mean sl 25-35, leveling only int (maybe some attunement)

Totally forgot about crossbows
Get Avelyn from Grand Archives, actually does decent damage, and it staggers people
Also a solid trick weapon to occasionally bring out in pvp
Its very possible to beat the game with mage build, magic just isn't as potent in this game as others
Was actually pretty disappointed with the new dark magic, wanted there to be some really cool shit and there just wasn't, one of my few problems with the game

advice? Dont. Play a sorcerer in dark souls or preferably Demons souls. DS3 is the worst of the series for playing mages.

Forgot to mention the nun chick sells a ring for only 300 souls that gives you an extra attunement slot... the next ring that does that is in the Cathedral of the Deep.

Sage's ring near magic spraying Whirling Dervish boss speeds cast time. Albeit slightly.

You can also manage inventory wisely to give you several different damage options an only a few sets of rings so you can swap back and forth more quickly.

I really recommend the early health boost (up to 27) as a mage, and at least SOME kind of decent melee weapon you are competent with... sometimes you run out of spells.

What this guy said.
Don't give the miracle chick the dark tomes either. Just hand them to the dark lady from the prison later... she takes them if you offer them twice and with no negative consequences other than having to be patient.

Early game sucks for full int run 60 int with 4 argument slots. Get a straight sword infused with crystal and great heavy soul arrow is your best friend

Do what you want. I don't know your skill level.
If you feel comfortable with less health then skip it.

But nothing makes the game easier than going from around 500 starting hitpoints to 1000.

You can also always change your stats later using a certain covenant person too and roll all the vigor over into int later.

But again. Do what YOU are comfortable with.

Op here, I'm use to dodge due to never using shields so maybe I should up stamina a bit insteed of health

And thx for advices so far

If you are good at dodging yes feel free to skip on the health, as you will need stamina to move AND cast. That and stacking the Cloranthy Ring, that grass shield thing, and green herbs for max stamina regen potential. If you don't use shields the most you will get out of the grass shield is having it on your back anyway... if you don't mind the added weight.

Agreed. Magic in ds2 was one of only good improvements. Unleash magic, soul geyser wipes out almost all enemies not resilient to magic.

Praise the sun
And Fuck Black Gultch

i never understood people's hatred for dark souls 2 areas. they are so underwhelming and easy to run through...? and black gulch....? literally the easiest, shortest, albeit coolest looking areas in dark souls 2, fuck it? it's so god damn easy!

It's easy, but annoying. I just hate having to destroy those statues each time I go down there.

Other than that though, I don't understand why people struggle. All the enemies are piss easy, the area is short, and there's a bonfire right outside the boss room, if you somehow struggle with one of the easiest bosses in the game.

exactly. but why dont you just roll through all the statues? but you just described what i found wrong with ds2 as a whole
>enemies piss easy
>areas are short
>bonfire right outside many boss rooms (or short runs)
>bosses easy

Habit. First time I played the area I cleared it out completely so I could fight the phantom with no issues, and ever since I just habitually hack the things down.

You're spot on. DS3's a lot better for it, but I still say the original DS had it balanced pretty well.

old habits die hard, gotcha, right there with you.

DS3 is definitely an improvement, i overall enjoyed it more than DS2, which i beat way too quickly and with little memories of anything epic/hard. I felt DS3 was a little bit too linear/short compared to 1, but im a DS1 purist, i think that game is literally perfect down to the laggy ass pvp and bs fishing. i dont know, maybe because it was the first runthrough of a souls game, but 1's areas, ambiance, enemy distribution, bonfire distance, area variety, just everything is perfect.

OK OP here's what you do:

>Starting class
Sorcerer

>Vig 27
>Att 50
>End 40
>Vit ~
>Str 18
>Dex 50
>Int 60
>Fth 8
>Luk 12

Leftover levels go into Vig, setting to 50 if possible

>Right hand
Greatsword of Judgement +5
Court Sorcerer Staff +10
>Left hand
Shield of Want +5

>Rings
Bellowing Dragoncrest
Lingering Dragoncrest
Magic Clutch
Cloranthy

>Spells
Great Farron Dart
Crystal Soul Spear
Soul Stream
Great Magic Shield

>Armor
Fashion Souls

Enjoy

Gotta agree. I still need to play more DS3 to be fair, I literally just stormed my way through the main stuff, the only optional boss I killed being the Greatwood.

DS1 has all the most memorable moments for me, Ornstein and Smough, Seath, the Abyss and New Londo. Sen's Fun House was a personal highlight, as was the first time you walk into Anor Londo. Such a god damn good game.

Always found defense easy as a mage in I and II because of the availability of some big fucking shield that would block 100% of incoming melee damage. Haven't played III yet though.

>playing mage in DS3
You're worthless

magic got nerfed in every souls game over the time, but as soon as you hit the midgame in ds3 you should 3 shot nearly every boss.
There are like 4 Items that will boost your magic dmg.
Gonna post them later, or just look them up in the wiki.

Don't
Ds3 gutted magic, do a Pyro if you want to run spells

>kinda weak
It got nerfed, sure.
But still this is fucking ridiculous.
youtube.com/watch?v=JplGmG-_vgI

Farm for a thrall axe, infuse it with raw until you get a crystal gem, and pump that vig to 27 before going all int.

Oh, i totally forgot about this build:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ap_t_PZ8