Any gearfags around?

Any gearfags around?

How much of a pain in the ass would it be for a newfag to overhaul the motor on a 91 Jeep Wrangler

Roughly this much pain in the ass

Word?

Auto-bump

Anyone with any advice? Please halp

if you're relatively inexperienced, then
is a pretty good referance, if you do know slightly how to work on an engine from beforehand, you could manage, just don't fuck up, tighten things no more or less than they should, and be thorough. oh and it'll take a shitload of time. if you don't know anything about how to do it then don't, you're gonna fuck up

Do you have the tools? Do you have any experience?

The 2.5 liter and 258 I-6 are pretty simple

Well basically I'm buying it as a project, I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that it's going to take me a really long time to complete the whole project

I have some stuff, and I am I guess novice level. I helped the mechanic at my job overhaul a massive Cummins Diesel engine once

Define overhaul?

What kind of motorbike should an inexperienced guy buy for traveling? My mech experience limited almost to changing the tires and oil of my mums car...

Take it apart, clean it, and replace anything thats worn or damaged

Not much. Pretty basic engines, oldschool with cam in block and pushrods. 6 or 4 cylinder? I would say the biggest bitch is to get the engine out of the car and then to remenber where all the wires go when you put it back in. Whats the reason for rebuilding it? If you have the extra cash you should look for a stroker kit while you are doing the job anyway.

The older the Jeep the easier it is to work on. Less digital bullshit you need to worry about. I had a 92, did a lot of my own work. You have the tools and YouTube you can do just about anything

so whats exactly wrong with it? unless somethings dicked or its burning oil like mad theres no point

taking apart an engine isnt fun, ive been a automotive mechanic for 6 years and finally quit today, shit gets aggravating and tiring. if nothings wrong with the engine let it be

6, and I don't have a ton of cash right now, like I said, it's a project car, so it's going to need a lot of shit

Well it's a shitbag in general. But it has the potential to be sick af. It's basically a hobby, and I'm willing to put in the effort if there's a payoff

Drop a 5.3L in it or go hone, skinny pedal is on the right

Mechanic fag here..
Do yourself a favor and get a through service manual. Your gonna need more than a hammer and a crescent wrench.

Very simple. If it is the straight six or the 4 cylinder. What do you mean by "overhaul"? A tune up would be changing the spark plugs and wires and the fluids, which is easy as fuck. If the valve covers are leaking and stuff like that and you want to replace gaskets it is one of the easier vehicles to do that on. That old jeep is simple as can be. As long as you have the right tools (the right tools is everything) and know how to follow instructions is is super easy. Good luck.
I'm doing the same thing to this ugly banana. Bought it at auction to flip it for $$$, it's how survive.

Agreed YouTube will be your savior

If youre going to tear it down, at least re-ring and rebearing the whole thing. Stud the heads. And buy a good torque wrench

Nice.

>corvette
>craftsman toolbox
Incorrect choices were made there

Hate the yellow, myself i used to have a 2001 torch red Z06, sold now tho :(

Look at jeepstrokers.cum a lot of knowledge there. These engines can take a beating and still run strong, but they develope a few problems as the miles get higher. Most can be cured by cleaning the throttle body, idle regulator and intake manifold. Also do a full tune up with new everything, filters, plugs, rotor, plugcables, oil, aftermarket injectors etc. Rarely do they actually need a full overhaul. They might develope a knock-knock-knock sound after 2-300 000km but thats not a reason to rebuild, its just in the nature of the beast.

How much of a newfag are you? If you have zero experience, you have no business rebuilding an automotive engine. There's too much shit you have to know and cannot afford to figure out along the way.

I would start by reading the service manual for that make and model like a bible. Get comfortable wrenching on the car with less difficult jobs. On a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty, properly rebuilding the motor is a 10 (shawty). You need specialty tools, a very sharp attention to detail, and a deep understanding of how an engine operates and how it's assembled. You need to know the names of all the parts and what they're responsible for. You need to be able to intelligently communicate with the machinist and tell him what you want done.

You need to be able to know which parts are in good enough condition to reuse and what is worn out and needs replacing. Your knowledge of the proper engine rebuild process will also directly affect the amount of money you spend to get your Jeep running again. Short sighted mistakes are expensive. Do your homework and plan your shit.

Forgot pic

Disagree. Working on a jeep engine is a good 5/10 when it comes to difficulty. Thats offcourse if you take the time to learn how everything works and you have the proper tools. And a tidy place to work where no one else is messing with your stuff. Without that fixing your lawnmover will become a major pita.

I love craftsman tools. I used to buy all expensive German shit and Mac tools. But they seem to grow legs and walk away over the years. I now buy craftsman bc they are cheap and you can exchange them for free when you tare them up...and I don't just keep craftsman in that box lol. I have $10k of just hand tools. And yeah I'm not the biggest vette fan but they definitely have their place in the world, sell easily and I got it waaay cheaper than you'd guess

just LS swap it

I find the 90's Cherokees to be the toughest as far as removal of parts to get to what you need. Kind of reminds me of a compact car. Liberty and wrangler are easier as far as working space goes.

Yellow vette guy here
I bought a 2002 z06 for 10k a year ago at auction. I had to replace the rear end, brakes and these little screws under the shift boot that back out from vibration and blocks all the up gears. I spent $1350 and 5-7 hours on it. Sold it for $24,000.

Is that car yours?

C'mon baby I'm talking about the finer points of engine building. Checking piston gap clearances, measuring rod and main bearing clearances, torque sequences and specs, lapping the valves, installing/removing valve springs... The list is huge.

By all means if all that doesn't intimidate you, jump right in. But if OP was super confident, he wouldn't be asking a troll message board for help.

All good points.

I'm more of a 2 stroke tuner myself

nope, but this shit heep is

And I also build 5 hp Briggs that make 35 hp for mini bikes

Not as bad compared to what my truck looks like

Assuming you have a decent level of experience and you work on it three days a week force few hours, you should be able to completely do this in a month, more for the 4.0 liter version.

Go get a Haynes Repair Manual, while your not really repairing it, the manual has a lot of useful instructions and stuff for just about anything on your car that could break, and visit sometime during the whole teardown

I got a "built" 6.0 LQ4 for it that I'm throwing an ebay CXracing 76mm turbo on going in it, but still need to find a T56 to complete it tho.
that hurts :c

Yes this i agree on. But once you read the manual and actually understand it everything you list there is simple as fuck. Funny work in my opinion. If you have the engine out, you can put it in a stand, clean it, line up the tools like a surgeon, crank up the stereo, open a beer and go to work!

I needed a ride to school when it happened and I couldn't find one so I ended up driving it to school and back lol I drove perfectly fine no driveshaft noise no weird alignment nothing its fucking awesome that's the power of a Chevy right there then I sold it and It winked and gave me a goodbye

5.3L , 4l60 trans , nP231, very common swap, kits avail to make it a simple swap such as engine cross member and center skid mod. , and suppose you invest in rebuilding the 4.0l , you still have an old 4.0l with a ton of money invested in bebuilding

Assume I don't have a crane to get the motor out. If I take the hood and front quarter panels out to completely access the motor could I still do it?