youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tin whistle master race

you mean why is euphonium the best?
>inb4 shitty anime memes

A
FUCKING
MINI TUBA

How do I get into playing a wind instrument? I've played guitar with a few bands but I want to try something new.

You misspelled baritone sax

>get a fingering chart (memorize!)
>look up correct embouchure (it's usually more complex than just put mouth on mouthpiece and blow)
>do lots of long tones to hone your tone quality and to practice breathing which is especially important if you've never played a wind instrument before
>plunk away at Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Once I learn to play how can I find gigs?

Woodwinds?

Depends. You can start with Flute but it takes you too much air (second to tuba)

Clarinet is good

Sorry, only the objectively best instrument coming through.

Don't know but brass bands exist

youtube.com/watch?v=i5QWuTAUsfg

No, brass. I'd like to learn either euphonium or trumpet

Check out

The Gate - Island Virus
Drums and Tuba - everything

Trumpet is nice and loud.. Euphoniums have the most soothing sound. Sax is nice if you want jazz

Oh yeah, you're so awesome blowing air and moving your fingers.

That's it. No reeds or anything. Barely any effort if you have good air support. And that's not good.

>implying making fart sounds are any good

how fun, good performers and musicians

Gay.

Play Bass Trombone! You don't play much, but when you do it's fun!

How much is a beginner tier euphonium?

reed instruments are objectively superior to puckerhorns and sideways recorders

Quite expensive desu.

Which is why you dont see normies buying brass/woodwind instruments

Head to craigslist or a similar site to find out how it is rn. (Sorry I don't know the price range but that's where I think you have the best bet of finding out)

Dont know how much a eupho costs but I bought a used trumpet in a very good condition at 260 USD (Yamaha Silver plated)

absolute bottom entry tier euphos run $300-400

That's not too bad, is a teacher a must have for the euphonium or will books and the internet be fine?

Internet is fine. You can find all sorts of videos like on instrument maintenance, how tos and donts

Cool, looks like I'll be getting a euphonium then.

internet has everything you need, tutorial, theory, sight reading.. remember to look at other players for examples too
youtube.com/watch?v=mf2uYqDX8QA
youtube.com/watch?v=N73OwyjozzA
youtube.com/watch?v=CkKCY_pCPi8

Most of the euphoniums I'm seeing online around me are Bb, I'm new to wind instruments so is that a good or bad thing. Are there any important thing a I should look out for when buying one?

It just means it's tuned to Bb. As in, a C on the euphonium is a Bb on a piano. I think there are euphoniums tuned to C though, might be easier to get one of those.

Common Euphos are Bb

Trombone obviously

youtube.com/watch?v=HwWQUXnD0oo

>Trump playing tuba
>not a trumpet
The joke was right fucking there and they still messed it up

lol enjoy playing long 16th-note passages (unless the composer takes pity on you)

ha, didn't even notice
'tuba' is Latin for 'trumpet', though

Only plebs wouldn't enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=kGgUK2s-sqA

Too easy

these bitches love sousa

Bassoon literally master race
youtube.com/watch?v=DtiwaeWe_6M

Or a marching tuba

>no normalfag could ever afford this kind of instrument

Nice

Are you really so poor you don't have $20,000 for a low-middle tier bassoon? Disgusting!

Why are Trumpeters the most annoying?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

What slide grease does he use

EX
ACTLY

Double Reed Slide Trumpet is the bet

You're wrong, friendo.

i stopped playing euphonium 8 years ago. I had a low/medium level, I could play what I wanted, but not hardcore tunes, and I had difficulty reaching high notes.

I never went past a step. I blocked like 2-3 years without improving.

Should I consider going back ?

You should

If you plan on playing in any sort of wind or brassband, Bb euph is the best. It's the most common too.

Fucking Tubists.

All they ever talk about is lead pipes and mouthpieces

Stupid trombone can only play star wars theme

I can't exactly speak to woodwind, but it's almost impossible to teach yourself a brass instrument. You don't necessarily need lessons, but you need someone you can talk to with some regularity and someone to get you started.

Hey everyone! This guy doesn't listen to Wagner!

Arent youtube vids enough? There's a fuckton of them with tips from professionals

This is wrong. 99.9999% of euphoniums are Bb, there are a few in different keys, but those are super rare and for people who spend too much time with euph.

Euphonium is a non transposing instrument in bass clef. Lot's of trumpet players switch to euph and if you transpose it into Bb you can read it just like trumpet music. Most euph music in bass clef so you should just read that.

It's not like guitar or bass, there's so many things going on in a brass instrument. To make it worse, most of them involve your lips and lungs, which you can't see like you could your fingers on guitar. The mastery curve on any instrument is more or less the same, but the learning curve on a brass instrument is really fucking high. I've been playing brass instruments for over 10 years and I'm convinced the human body does not naturally want to have anything to do with playing brass and it's only through very deliberate work we can force it to actually work.

>ctrl + f "tenor sax"
>0 of 0

fucking degenerates.

I dont have a grasp of transposing

What I know is, a written C on a trumpet sounds Bb on a piano.

But what if I make it sound like C in a trumpet instead?

You are all wrong, bass clarinet is best

the best instrument bruh

So it doesn't really matter unless you wanna play a transposing instrument or compose, but here's the short answer.

Back in the day people use to play trumpets in multiple keys like Bb C D and Eb (some classical pros still do). So if you play the open notes on Bb you get Bb F Bb D on C you'd get C G C E. Now since using the same fingerings on different keyed instruments gets you different notes people started transposing the music.

What this means is that composers move the the notes around by some interval so that the player can just play the they know, but the music that comes out ends up being in a different key then what they're actually reading.

Now there isn't a great reason trumpet players transpose anymore, besides the fact that they've don it for too long to stop now. However sax players will actually usually play multiple saxes which can be in different keys and it makes their lives so much easier with the transposition. They don't have to think about different fingerings if they're playing alto or tenor.

But Bb Trumpets sound C G C E when Open

Not in concert pitch, that's the transposing notes.

It still confuses me.

I can still read music sheets and play notes on the trumpet and not sound different from what was written, right?

Get a Chinese bass trumpet
I got one for about 250 and its great

Shitty deal.

Got a used yamaha on a very good condition, no dents, little to none scratches, no tarnish on the silver plate and valves still smooth for only 260

You're playing what's written and it's correct, but you and a piano player or guitar player can't read the same thing and play the same line.

All you notes are up by a whole step. When you play a C scale you're actually playing a Bb scale on the piano. So when you play an E it sounds the same as a D on the piano ect.

So if I did a C scale on a Bb Trumpet, it doesn't sound like a C scale on a piano?

Would a pitch tuner read it as Bb?

Nope. If you play a C scale on a Bb trumpet it's a Bb scale a pitch tuner would read it as a Bb scale. I was using piano as the "objective" instrument since it's all laid out and doesn't transpose, but thinking about it as a pitch tuner works too.

I think I got a better grasp of it now

Does one need to adjust when accompanied by a piano?

Not unless you're actually reading the same line on the same sheet of paper. In a duet setting your music will be transposed and the piano's will be in concert pitch.

So written E D C in a piano will be written as F# E D in a trumpet sheet?

Used to play tuba in high school, even got to travel/play around Europe a few weeks doing it. If I hadn't "2punk4this" at 17 or 18 or started smoking, I was actually considering going to college for it. I wonder how much money playing in a decent orchestra would be worth.

Baritone sax or gtfo

>an off color sax

That's correct.

Because we're loud, directly in your ear, and poasibly tone-deaf.

>Stupid trombone can only play star wars theme
You are suposed to compose your own songs and not get the instrument thinking, "hey i will play someone else music"

how do brass instruments work? do you just blow the air into the thing and control the pitch with the buttons?

ITT: weebs coming into a thread they asking newbie questions because of a shitty anime.

>one post matches description
>ITT
also Sup Forums is an anime imageboard, newfriend

All sounds depend on a vibration, this is produced by the vibrating of your lips and the mouthpiece. This wavelength is then controlled by where you let the air escape, which is controlled by buttons

No, there is a BOARD for anime. Sup Forums isn't ALL ABOUT anime you fucking weeb

can you change the pitch by simply changing the position/posture of your tongue?
stay triggered newfriend

look it up faggot we aren't your google sensei or whatever the fuck you call it

How much would a teacher for the euphonium cost?

>bass clar
that was my shit in middleschool thanks for the memories senpai

This is a retarded explanation. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Basically, you produce sound by first creating a resonating frequency with your lips and the mouthpiece through vibration-- but this is not the source of the sound. The sound is made by air resonating with the metal of the instrument. The valves control the pitch by changing the effective length of the instrument-- longer travel = lower pitch, which is why tubas are lower pitched than trumpets. Pushing a valve redirects the air into a tube, lowering the pitch by a set amount depending on the valve pressed (by 2 half steps for the first, one for the 2nd and 3 for the third). If you want to go higher, you raise your tongue in your mouth to go up to the next overtone in the series (read physics of music, I'm not going into this). By doing this, you change the angle of attack of the air and produce a higher frequency waveform in the tubes of the instrument. Some people will say you use "faster air". This is wrong, "faster air" is a misnomer, you can't actually change air velocity in the vacuum you create between your lips and the instrument.

Source: used to be a huge trumpet nerd for 8 years, took many many many science classes, have graduate degree

he's basically correct though, mr. graduate degree science class man

Euphonium is a good instrument, but you won't use it outside of wind band.

Go to your nearest substantial music store and rent one for a few months to see if you like it. If you want to buy one, shop around. Having a teacher help you would be a good idea.