The Greatest American Films According to the BBC

10. The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)
9. Casablanca (Michael Curtiz, 1942)
8. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
7. Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1952)
6. Sunrise (FW Murnau, 1927)
5. The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
3. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)
2. The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)
1. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)
bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

What a horrible list, Jesus Christ.

>Oh noes, they didn't pick some obscure european kinography from the 2000s

Kill yourself, faggot. I may not like Vertigo that much, but I'm not being a dick about it.

And Citizen Kane is a genuinely amazing movie and unironically deserves the No. 1 spot.

Also, opinions.

What a fucking pretentious little shit list.
They forgot.

Starship Troopers.
Blade Runner.
Fellowship of the Ring
Taxi Driver
Platoon
Mississippi Burning
L.A Confidential
Fargo
Conan The Barber
Star Wars V
Shanghai Noon

Now you may say "but user it seems like you just wrote down some flicks you saw in your movie folder". And yes, you'd be 100% right. But these movies are way better than that pretentious shit list right there. Seems the only criteria to be on this list is; 1. Be an old movie.

Now I can agree that the godfather entries are good because they are. 2001 is cool from a technological standpoint but compare it to Starship Troopers and it gets blown out of the water.
Fucking self-absorbed pretentious uber-shits of wasted oxygen.

What a save pretentious kino list

>they didn't pick some obscure european kinography from the 2000s

It's clearly says American films dumbass.

Yeah my bad, same thing could be applied to some Lynch or Malick

>godfather

*cringe*

Pretty safe list
They could have added The Master , The Last Picture Show and then The Tree Of Life but what do you expect from the BBC?
They just appeal to psudeo intellectuals all the time. Not to imply these movies aren't good but they're just movies everyone who 'likes film' has seen

>97. Gone With the Wind

They only did this because it glorifies the South

Looks like literally every other list out there, also vertigo is the most overrated movie to ever exist

>no bicycle thief on list
Ultimate pleb-list confirmed

>bicycle thief
>american

Oh! Hehe my mistake. It's a list of shitty movies then.

*tips superior film knowledge*
how about you post your own list fám?

Too much work tbqh

pussy nigga tbqh

looks like someone's grampy has been binge-watching AMC

list is fine, really, if you only watched television on a 15 inch black and white screen and
IF IT WERE STILL1975

It's exactly the same as every other list.

The list if very accurate. If I were creating one it would differ only slightly.

10. The General
9. Singin' in the Rain
8. City Lights
7. The Searchers
6. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
5. The Godfather Part II
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. The Godfather
2. Vertigo
1. Citizen Kane

this is the most generic "best film list" ever. its like a fucking first year film student made it.

Here's the thing though. Its not some old gray fuck that made this list. Its the same 25 to 35 year old that swears by LP's and only shops at "vintage" stores.
Personal motto for this type of creature is "If its old its gold and I like gold if its old"

The Shawshank Redemption and The Dark Knight are the best movies of all time. :)

bump it, rigtht her brother!! :)

*PLACE FIST HERE*

I will never really understand why Casablanca is held in the same reverence as The Searchers or The Godfather

>oh look, it's basically the same fucking list that's everywhere

Because it's actually better than godfather and searchers. Perfect script that served as a model for countless other films.

>Casablanca
>Vertigo
For fucks sake these really are not that great.

>no spider man 2
>no iron man
>no winter solider
>no dark knight
>no watchmen

Literally shit: the list

Ok, so Sup Forums is always taking the piss out of everything all the time, but I never actually see anyone post anything that they like in earnest.

What the fuck do you motherfuckers even like? What wouldn't make you "cringe"?

Taking the piss is so easy because you never have to substitute some other opinion for the one you find appalling, you can just throw stones. You're all pathetic if you don't post an alternate list yourself.

>ugly smelly brits
>deciding which American films are the best
Yeah no

>Star Wars V
>LoTR movie

lel

Both are great but I agree Casablanca does not deserve to be in top 10.

Taxi Driver is in there. It's number 19.

Sup Forums is so filled with posturing kids, it's disgusting.
>ugh not obscure enough? Not good enough for me
Pathetic dumb shits.

>28. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)
>87. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
>96. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
nvm the list is shit

Godfather 2 is so grossly overrated. It does nothing the first doesn't do more eloquently, more memorably, and in less time

Gone With the Wind has had a slowly but steadily declining critical legacy for years now

I'm fine with that top ten. But the real question is the following:

>99. 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
>96. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
>94. 25th Hour (Spike Lee, 2002)
>87. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
>79. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
>21. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Of these post year 2000 films, which are the best? Also according to this list American film died between the 80s and 90s.

no it's not, i might say it's even underrated

>American film died between the 80s and 90s.
it did, and not only american

What a generic and boring list. Not surprising though, "film critics" are usually pretentious twats don't actually enjoy movies.
>implying this isn't the greatest movie ever made

The 80s action genre? Did that happen worldwide?

>mfw

>"film critics" are usually pretentious twats don't actually enjoy movies.

I genuinely feel sorry for you if you're unable to enjoy the top 10

You are acting like you expect them to post some obscure shit like

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY:
1: 夢 (1990, Kurosawa)
2: This Night (1965, Fassbinder)
3: La morte d'Isotta(1968, Schröter)
4: Reassemblage (1982, Minh Hà)
5: Кpaдeцът нa пpacкoви (1964, Radev)
6: โรงแรมนรก (1957, Pestonji)
7: قمران وزيتونة (2001, Abdelhamid)
8: 九月 (1984, Zhuangzhuang)
9: Ocъдeни Дyши (1975, Radev)
10: Lost River (2014, Gosling)

Do you actually realize they are not memeing idiots and actually have to post objectively best films that have impact on history of cinema? Of course the list would be about the same every time.

Every movie in their top 10 list is good, but this socially acceptable and vanilla list shows that critics only really care about appearing intelligent.

Kill yourself, you're projecting, fucking imbecile.
You literally have no clue about their reasons to do it you tryhard hipster.

no they don't, they genuinely vote for best films. you are using the logic of 14 yo, you think they do this to appear intelligent? really? they are not fucking kids who seek attention, they don't even post their names under the list. i will fucking defend this list because i almost agree with it.

>no Bee Movie
Pleb list.

But those are all masterpieces, user

>everybody parrots the same exact opinions
>if you don't agree with those opinions you're a subhuman hipster
Yep, there's totally no push toward conformity in film criticism.

It is literally you who only care about appearing intelligent by not agreeing with a group of critics implying that you have superior knowledge and taste

post your american top 10 and let's have discussion

No BvS? Fucking Disney, buying up critics AGAIN.

Were the 80s really as dark as the canon says, or is it just a myth that everyone believes? It does seem that every great post-war film movement panned out by the end of the 70s. It was the apex of blockbuster cinema, and China/Taiwan/HK had the beginning a resurgence that remains obscure, but otherwise the decade seems sort of ignored

Or maybe those films are legitimately great and widely beloved for good reason

If a critic wanted to appear intelligent, their list wouldn't include such universally acclaimed and popular movies. Your argument is totally absurd.

Why is Citizen Kane always #1 when Touch of Evil is Orson's best film

post 10 American films that are better than OP's list
enlighten us with your superior taste, famiglia

(You)

>a film can't be good if it's new

awful list

>the top 10 movies includes a sequel that the director himself regrets making

It isn't, and I am huge Orson Welles' fan. CK was super revolutionary, so it always will be somewhere in top 3, if it's not in top 3 then the list was done by hacks.

i like your list so much more

shang hai noon, wtf dude?

not him but I did it
rate mine?

Somebody explain to me why Sunrise so consistently is put at the top of these ranking? I'm not trying to be edgy her, I'm sincerely asking if the biggest part of the appeal is the fact that it won the first Best Picture award from the Academy, or is it really comparable to the others on this and similar lists?

epic burn, friend. I hate america, the green day song american idiot f#coin rules tha schools!

I'd put Godfather at number one and put Citizen Kane in the fucking trash where it belongs, god that movie is overrated.

Have you seen it? It's absolutely beautiful, in it's visuals and emotions. It's the peak of silent film and arguably the peak of visual storytelling

> I'm sincerely asking if the biggest part of the appeal is the fact that it won the first Best Picture award from the Academy
This is a stupid thing to say.

>Citizen Kane is a genuinely amazing
how about you watch that piece of trash and find out the reason why its actually liked. heres a pro tip, its not because its good

yeah, it actually lives up to the hype

Citizen Kane is entertaining as fuck though

lmao no it aint

Leddit fuck off

t. embryo

bc its the greatest achievement of cinema ever (& ever will be). besides have u seen orson act?

10/10 bait.

lol kill yourself

I saw it at least like 8 times, it is brilliant in many ways.

tell me more about how Star Wars is better than 2001, you teenager piece of shit

I actually thought I was alone thinking that

it's not even about being better, it's about who was the first to do breakthrough achievements in cinema making, and who was to copy paste it later, even with better story or something else

Americans are so stupid.

Almost everything you produce is garbage, and it shows with threads like these

You can never amount to the status that Canada has achieved.

Hell, I made a thread about quintessential Canadian accomplishments (CANADA ARM) a few days back, and that thread was a phenomenal success

But you people who outnumber Canadians here have all the chances to make this place better, but instead you post stupid retarded shit like this

The thread I made earlier, you fat fucks, has proven that Canadian society is hands down the better.

In fact, Canadian EVERYTHING is better.

We have better books, clothes, holidays, food, women (who don't want you), healthcare, and an overall sense of happiness here.

As opposed to AMERICA, Where over there you people are fat, miserable, shoot at each other all day, have a huge gap in income inequality, hate minorities and women, and have the highest stats in the world for crime

You fat fucks truly deserve Trump

What's funny is, is despite all of that, you Amerifats love to say that "Canada is an irrelevant nation", but the truth is is that you are fat asses who are jealous of everything we are.

Fuck you America.

You fat cunts.

You stupid pigs.

You unbelievable mongrels.

You are a nation in decline.

Your women are sluts, and your mothers are fat pigs.

When my country finally destroys yours in the coming conflicts, the rest of the world will truly be able to see how great and amazing Canada is, not only for slaughtering you like the pigs you are, but also for saving the world from your degeneracy.

In the future, when my great great whatever children are out there doing whatever in space, they will be sure to know that they are much better than the future fat and ugly space Americans

>its the greatest achievement of cinema ever
Now that's being silly. Just because he did a lot of things first or better than what came before doesn't mean everything that came in the 75 years since is worse.

I don't want to sound pretentious or dismissive, but Kane is largely a stage play with more interesting compositions. To call it the greatest achievement in the entire art of cinema is absurd when you look at someone like Tarkovsky, an artist whose work could not exist in any medium but cinema. It's like saying B.B. King is the greatest rock artist for playing blues songs with an electric guitar. You're dismissing everything that built and expanded on those innovations just because he came first

there's not one marvel movie in there how do they take themselves seriously?

i TRIED watching citizen kane twice, boring af