Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Im trying to understand what vaporwave is exactly

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Im trying to understand what vaporwave is exactly

the experience of being on psychedelic drugs while watching glitchy 80s and 90s computer graphics or tv info shows with synthpop? is there a clear definition? i didnt think it had to do with drugs but everyone keeps mentioning taking them in conjunction to understand it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ki-fATpXa00
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vaporwave is just stealing someone else's music and slowing it down

nostalgia for technology of the 80s/90s meant to convey a fever dream like atmosphere

>nostalgia for technology of the 80s/90s meant to convey a fever dream like atmosphere
yes, exactly, a nostalgia fever dream esque feeling, and thats how it feels to be on acid watching 80s/90s graphics

It basically tries to capture the feels of the past with obscure imagery and music of an era. The majority of it is garage, and ends up sounding like a cheap imitation interpreted by someone who briefly skimmed through the musci they're trying to recreate, and instead sounds morel like the work of other vaporware producers, so you get this ambiguous incestuous sound. Most of the vaporwave I've heard seems to have forgotten the point and instead just indulges in the meme. I imagine this is the case because you don't really have any musical ability to make it. You just have to know how to slow down a track and maybe keep your samples in key, but a lot of people don't even bother with that.

i've never heard of it being associated with any drug other than nitrous oxide. it has a dreamy theme to it, but not a psychedelic one

youtu.be/Ki-fATpXa00
hap new year

The imagery used in most vaporwave productions came from commercials tv shows computer graphics from the mid to late 80s to the early 90s, when drugs like ecstasy mdma and acid made a big come back. I think vaporwave attempts to capture that era in a hazy drug stupor

have we already got an id on Skeleton? is it really Lopatin?

Can this be the defacto /vaporwave/ thread?

Rumors are Mac Demarco is going to be experimenting more with vaporwave sampling and synths (in the vein of Chamber of Reflection) on his new record, even getting James Ferraro to feature on several tracks. What will this mean for vaporwave? This might be the biggest mainstream exposure it's had yet.

won't mean shit
mac won't go too experimental. he'll keep it pop but make it slightly "trippier" and lo-fi. james might do some spoken word and synth sounds.

Think like caretaker but with synths and coke

This

vaporwave is chopped and screwed for hipsters

Imagine elevator music but really slow. people enjoy it :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD h.\\

>musci
fuck off with your pretentious latinized plurals

you have obviously never done lsd

thanks for the new pasta

Ive tripped out a handful of times actually

dude vhs lmao

thoughts on this? i wish more vapor producers took a classical approach to composition