Have you guys read this article?

Have you guys read this article?

What are your opinions on the article, or just the cover itself if you haven't read it.

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/
gawker.com/on-smarm-1476594977
jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-called-no-womans-sky-1785411230
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Post the text of the article here

If they think they can escape the ride by posting this in a manual article they're wrong.

I've read it.

tl;dr More liberal bullshit crying about how they don't have 100% of the narrative locked down.

OP here
The link to the article
time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

I haven't read it but I think the author should stop being such a whiny fucking communist faggot.

>Internet trolls have a manifesto of sorts, which states they are doing it for the “lulz,” or laughs.

Find the out of touch article writer who hasn't used the internet since 2011.

These are always the same old shit.

They do mention some up-to-date shit thought.
They mention Trump's doxxing Graham, efforts made against the ghostbuster's cast, cucks, etc.

this

/thread

>time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

Part 1:
They’re turning the web into a cesspool of aggression and violence. What watching them is doing to the rest of us may be even worse

Updated, August 18

This story is not a good idea. Not for society and certainly not for me. Because what trolls feed on is attention. And this little bit–these several thousand words–is like leaving bears a pan of baklava.

It would be smarter to be cautious, because the Internet’s personality has changed. Once it was a geek with lofty ideals about the free flow of information. Now, if you need help improving your upload speeds the web is eager to help with technical details, but if you tell it you’re struggling with depression it will try to goad you into killing yourself. Psychologists call this the online disinhibition effect, in which factors like anonymity, invisibility, a lack of authority and not communicating in real time strip away the mores society spent millennia building. And it’s seeping from our smartphones into every aspect of our lives.

The people who relish this online freedom are called trolls, a term that originally came from a fishing method online thieves use to find victims. It quickly morphed to refer to the monsters who hide in darkness and threaten people. Internet trolls have a manifesto of sorts, which states they are doing it for the “lulz,” or laughs. What trolls do for the lulz ranges from clever pranks to harassment to violent threats. There’s also doxxing–publishing personal data, such as Social Security numbers and bank accounts–and swatting, calling in an emergency to a victim’s house so the SWAT team busts in. When victims do not experience lulz, trolls tell them they have no sense of humor. Trolls are turning social media and comment boards into a giant locker room in a teen movie, with towel-snapping racial epithets and misogyny.

Part 2:
They’ve been steadily upping their game. In 2011, trolls descended on Facebook memorial pages of recently deceased users to mock their deaths. In 2012, after feminist Anita Sarkeesian started a Kickstarter campaign to fund a series of YouTube videos chronicling misogyny in video games, she received bomb threats at speaking engagements, doxxing threats, rape threats and an unwanted starring role in a video game called Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian. In June of this year, Jonathan Weisman, the deputy Washington editor of the New York Times, quit Twitter, on which he had nearly 35,000 followers, after a barrage of anti-Semitic messages. At the end of July, feminist writer Jessica Valenti said she was leaving social media after receiving a rape threat against her daughter, who is 5 years old.

A Pew Research Center survey published two years ago found that 70% of 18-to-24-year-olds who use the Internet had experienced harassment, and 26% of women that age said they’d been stalked online. This is exactly what trolls want. A 2014 study published in the psychology journal Personality and Individual Differences found that the approximately 5% of Internet users who self-identified as trolls scored extremely high in the dark tetrad of personality traits: narcissism, psychopathy, Machiavellianism and, especially, sadism.

But maybe that’s just people who call themselves trolls. And maybe they do only a small percentage of the actual trolling. “Trolls are portrayed as aberrational and antithetical to how normal people converse with each other. And that could not be further from the truth,” says Whitney Phillips, a literature professor at Mercer University and the author of This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things: Mapping the Relationship Between Online Trolling and Mainstream Culture. “These are mostly normal people who do things that seem fun at the time that have huge implications. You want to say this is the bad guys, but it’s a problem of us.”

how autistic is this

Part 3:
A lot of people enjoy the kind of trolling that illuminates the gullibility of the powerful and their willingness to respond. One of the best is Congressman Steve Smith, a Tea Party Republican representing Georgia’s 15th District, which doesn’t exist. For nearly three years Smith has spewed over-the-top conservative blather on Twitter, luring Senator Claire McCaskill, Christiane Amanpour and Rosie O’Donnell into arguments. Surprisingly, the guy behind the GOP-mocking prank, Jeffrey Marty, isn’t a liberal but a Donald Trump supporter angry at the Republican elite, furious at Hillary Clinton and unhappy with Black Lives Matter. A 40-year-old dad and lawyer who lives outside Tampa, he says he has become addicted to the attention. “I was totally ruined when I started this. My ex-wife and I had just separated. She decided to start a new, more exciting life without me,” he says. Then his best friend, who he used to do pranks with as a kid, killed himself. Now he’s got an illness that’s keeping him home.

Marty says his trolling has been empowering. “Let’s say I wrote a letter to the New York Times saying I didn’t like your article about Trump. They throw it in the shredder. On Twitter I communicate directly with the writers. It’s a breakdown of all the institutions,” he says. “I really do think this stuff matters in the election. I have 1.5 million views of my tweets every 28 days. It’s a much bigger audience than I would have gotten if I called people up and said, ‘Did you ever consider Trump for President?'”

Trolling is, overtly, a political fight. Liberals do indeed troll–sex-advice columnist Dan Savage used his followers to make Googling former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum’s last name a blunt lesson in the hygienic challenges of anal sex; the hunter who killed Cecil the lion got it really bad.

The article is much longer than I expected so I'm not doing any more. But there is no need for anyone to give them any clicks.

Is this related to the Amy Schumer book reviews?

>they are doing it for the “lulz,”

That's what Sup Forums was built on bubs. You're really in the wrong place you liberal cucklord.

>The article is much longer than I expected

It's the featured article in this month's edition of TIME, what did you expect.

i think people have a bad habit of overusing terms and running them into the ground. Culture, toxic, shaming, phobia, etc.

>Is this related to the Amy Schumer book reviews?

Not a direct response, but mentions some similar topics.

>Jonathan Weisman, the deputy Washington editor of the New York Times, quit Twitter, on which he had nearly 35,000 followers, after a barrage of anti-Semitic messages.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I hope they mention how Bieber quit Instagram for the same shit?

For it to be copy/pastable within about 4 or five posts.

I don't read that particular piece of Jewish propaganda.

Quote from the article from Andrew Auernheimer AKA Weev the globe trotting troll

>In a later blog post about our emails, Weev clarified that TIME is “trying to destroy white civilization” and that we should “open up your Jew wallets and dump out some of the f-cking geld you’ve stolen from us goys, because what other incentive could I possibly have to work with your poisonous publication?”

kek

You're losing the internet to the "culture of hate" because you refuse to admit when you're wrong. You wear blinders and try to spin things in your favor instead of addressing them as they are. Such as calling things a "culture of hate".
On the internet, we are all equally worthless. That's a fact. One you don't like. And because you won't accept it, a new live bee goes up your ass to sting you every time someone forces you to confront it. Your opinion is shit. My opinion is shit. All opinions are shit. And it's the media who are supposed to be unbiased who made it that way.
People are afraid to call a spade a spade for fear of offending spades. But not on the internet, because here, spades aren't trumps. Only Trump is. And that's why "hate" will win. Because you never bothered to address the elephant in the room, and now it's killing people and we're going to put it down. Because we hate that fucking elephant.

I didn't write that, and I don't agree with it. I copy/pasta'd it so those Jews don't get even more sheckles from their clcik baiting.

(((STEIN)))
really makes you think

Well good, as long as you don't agree with that vile jew propaganda, we're kewl.

I can't believe reddit fags did that. I thought they worshipped that Jewish hog.

>You're losing the internet to the "culture of hate" because you refuse to admit when you're wrong. You wear blinders and try to spin things in your favor instead of addressing them as they are. Such as calling things a "culture of hate".

Trolls exist because of free speech. You have the right to hang yourself with your own words. This is fundamental to the operation of speech on the internet. However, people are deciding that's not necessarily what they want. Equally popular are echo chambers of sameness - see reddit. Troll behavior is only *allowed* because we are yet to decide fully if infinitely free speech is as useful as moderated free speech.

As soon as neural nets 'learn' troll behavior, they'll be used to ban 'trollish' posts. At which point the internet will be the facade that it's destined for: inifinite monads of echo chamber opinions.

doin god's work, user. thanks for posting what you did. i've decided i don't want to read any more of that bullshit anyway.

Hmmmmm a Stein eh? Sounds like some sorts of a jew. I say kill it, and kill it with fire.

>Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I hope they mention how Bieber quit Instagram for the same shit?

They did mention that in an image that depicted a spectrum of the "most trolly" and "least trolly" websites on the internet.

It's a fair point.

Instagram being a "most trolly" site? Kek. Was this shithole mentioned?

>When I suggested we order wine, she told me she’s a recently recovered alcoholic who was drunk at the restaurant opening when she threatened to beat me up.
>I asked why she didn’t actually walk up to me that afternoon and, even if she didn’t punch me, at least tell me off.
>She looked at me like I was an idiot. “Why would I do that?” she said.
>“The Internet is the realm of the coward. >These are people who are all sound and no fury.”

A-yep.

I like you.

I stopped reading Time years ago because the articles were always shit and they were wrong about everything they predicted

This. They went downhill making anonymous the person of the year, like really?

Trolls aren't ruining the internet. Advertising and corporatization is.

since when did normies start paying attention to dumb shit on the internet? "trolling" is nothing new, the culture of the internet isn't all that different from what it was 10-11 years ago, only it's a lot more out in the open what with a lot of Sup Forums types extending out into facebook. but it's not any more prevalent, and it's really not such a problem that it deserves frontpage on Time. I read that article in full, and it was exactly like it seemed at first glance: a poor attempt at covering internet phenomena by a jewish guy too old and too stupid to understand it.

Sup Forums was second most trolly, Instagram was second least trolly.
I was going to post the whole list but I can't find the picture online and the spam filter stopped me from posting the list in text

>not knowing time posts all its articles in digital format on their site

On the contrary, I think he did a very good job of explaining our mindset, at least for an outsider looking in.

Haven't read the article, but if anyone is denying this, you're retarded or apart of the "culture of hate"

It's facilitated by anonymity and the absolute lack of accountability of what anyone says. It's contained for the most on the internet, but is spilling into the real world slowly, as well.

I do my fair share of shitposting and trolling, but I'm not delusional thinking everything is just cheeky. If it were to be contained to the internet, that would be fine, but that's not the way things are going it seems.

Everybody needs a little adversity in order to make them strong. Just don't over do it, guys. Don't lose your perspective. Ground yourself. Figure out what's real and don't give a fuck about anything else.

WHO IS THEY?>???
WHO IS IT?
THEY?
H
E
Y
?

>spam filter stopped me from posting the list in text

Lol fucking Sup Forums.

Underappreciated as fuck post. I hadn't thought of a neural "solution". This is almost certainly what will happen.

Another thing, though, I feel like a lot of this is just people for the first time seeing clearly how others feel. Humanity was always this mean to strangers we're just at the ass end of hundreds of years of trying to cover that up and feel comfortable about it. The danger was the only reason to really feel bad, though, so without actual danger being afraid of that fact that every human being hates every other human being whom they don't personally is no longer bad enough to warrant covering it up. If anything we should be dealing with the fact that polite society doesn't represent the entire contents of a human psyche rather than trying to kick cenorship sand over it like a cat that just took a shit. It's not as if ignoring it will change human nature, the internet, on the other hand, actually might change human nature for the better.

It's referring to the alt-right. The new foxnews. Conservatism shitbags under the age of 30. Probably you, reading this.

You're not allowed to say what you think in public, which is good, so you naturally retreat to the pseudo-anonymous internet.

Here you are.

You are what's wrong with the world.

Fuck off.

This.
Trolls exist everywhere in every context.
Judge Scalia on the Supreme Court was one of the biggest, most prolific trolls ever.
If you've ever read or heard the transcripts from SCOTUS arguments then you know he was hilarious.
No matter how he would eventually rule on a case, he would always drop the most outrageous
shit during SCOTUS arguments for no reason other than brilliant bait.
Then he would sit back & chuckle while both the liberal and right-wing media would go nuts.

>It would be smarter to be cautious, because the Internet’s personality has changed. Once it was a geek with lofty ideals about the free flow of information. Now, if you need help improving your upload speeds the web is eager to help with technical details, but if you tell it you’re struggling with depression it will try to goad you into killing yourself.
This faggot is so goddamn new to the www. Maybe journalists should actually have a degree in what they're writing about.

>It's referring to the alt-right. The new foxnews. Conservatism shitbags under the age of 30. Probably you, reading this.

Can we archive this thread? It expresses some serious philosophy on why Sup Forums is the way it is.

thank you user

>implying i would give Time page views

>the approximately 5% of Internet users who self-identified as trolls
So everyone else is literally just retarded? That's more horrifying than trolls saying mean things

>someone accurately describes what user says
>WAA THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO CONTROL WHAT I CAN SAY HELP HELP ITS THE PC POLICE

seemed really fucking dumb to post a 6 page Times article in this thread.

We should archive this post. Some real philosophy on why Sup Forums and its users are the way they are

>A 40-year-old dad and lawyer who lives outside Tampa, he says he has become addicted to the attention.
God what a faggot. Literally just as bad as a teenage slut

doesn't matter. all that matters is clicks, it's the metric they use to measure whatever the fuck they're measuring.

>alt-right

A fantasy construction, when I say "SJW" I mean "authoritarian", when you say "alt-right" it's nebulous and has no such linking concept; it's just everyone who isn't a liberal that doesn't fill your traditional picture of what a republican is. Most such people aren't even conservative they just disagree with authoritarianism as a social solution. The rest of the liberals don't approve of censorship or the abandonment of constitutional rights to fix various problems.

For instance is it worth destroying all the positive and creative comments and works that would only be posted anonymously in order to control trolls? No. Christ no. That's a bad trade and you're terrible for wanting it, it's un-liberal as shit. If you were a good liberal you'd take the good with the bad and make an effort to understand your fellow man, you would know inherently that protecting creativity and freedom is infinitely more important than making sure some college-aged bitchass with a half-baked opinion doesn't get told she's stupid.

Good thing that creativity makes money and censorship costs money, so, it'll probably go my way and not yours.

>You are what's wrong with the world.
gawker.com/on-smarm-1476594977

no

After reading this drivel I don't even know what side of the argument you're on. I just know you're retarded and think you've won some sort of argument.

Sounds very sjw

This isn't an argument, there are no sides.

Actually, not having a particular "side" is what used to be called being a moderate. The fact that you don't recognize that kind of pigeon holes you as either a regressive "liberal" or a hyper conservative, and being as you're on Sup Forums, I'm going to vote regressive.

Well yeah, anybody who just calls you "authoritarian" because you criticized him is bound to be retarded, and is also bound to believe he's won an argument by doing so

Or, and this is going to be profound for you, silencing people's opinions with mass media such as tumblr, facebook, or twitter and demanding the population hail themselves to your world view might just be an authoritarian reaction to societal inconsistencies with their world view. See SJW fails for more on this topic.

People don't understand what liberal means in America. The Marxists basically took the word over, which is just... profound. They say we're "libertarian" now, but I don't hate all government, just an over reaching government, whereas the libertarian movement is damn near anarchic.

>time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

It's like 5 years back time travel...

Nigger you are just throwing bold words out from your Intro to Politics book. If you think the general left and right terms everyday people use is as narrow and defined as pre-60's political movements you're the retard

>People don't understand what liberal means in America.
>applies Marxist to a large set of non-Marxists
FOX is accurate too right burger? Drink another bucket of cola

No, if you think that a person who believes that education should be paid for by the state, that freedom of speech should be limited to protect peoples feelings, or that the government has the right to hinder the 2nd amendment or take private property unabated is a liberal, you're just another fucking sheep. Take your "introduction to politics" bullshit where somebody cares.

What is the name of this artist?

You made a lot of people butthurt

I only read shitposts on Sup Forums. Shitposts anywhere else aren't funny most of the time.

Intersectionalism is Marxist.
Equality of Outcome is Marxist.

Most progressives are therefor Marxists, or better yet, Neo-Marxists.

I completely disagree with it.

if anything my perception is that the internet is becoming too anti-"Meanies."

There are fuckloads of "safe spaces" like tumblr, jezebel, reddit for the most part, etc.

Ben Garrison. Be careful with his Cartoons, awhile back a bunch of Stormfront douches got together and made some hilarious cartoons which replaced all the government figures with Jews.

to add to what I said, look at what happened with Milo. Look at how Reddit censors the fuck out of posts by changing the algorithms to keep less favorable posts from the top (i.e. pro Trump stuff).

Facebook basically openly censors trending topics, and google removes suggestions for things they don't like.

The internet tries VERY hard to be friendly.

Friendly or parental? Because in my opinion the internet often tries to maintain a narrative of progressive LGBTQ safe space bullshit.

That's basically what I'm trying to say.

>when you say "alt-right" it's nebulous and has no such linking concept; it's just everyone who isn't a liberal
>actually being this retarded
Post-90's atheists who follow typical conservative values while rejecting moderate, religious, and recent 'progressive' movements. Literally every political group is nebulous you fucking retard, their unity stems from the fact that there is a core cluster of things they generally agree upon. Any alt righter can tell you major alt right ideas.

Okay, think of it this way, the two options are either to censor trolls by removing anonymity or to not do that and simply use common sense online. Facebook is the strongest example of a non-anonymous internet and potential employers WILL check out your facebook. That means anything you put on facebook has to be something you'd not only be willing for your family and friends to see but also a stranger who may or may not hire you for a job, work, you know, something you genuinely need and cannot do without. You can make your page or individual posts private but then your content, whatever it is, only reaches a tiny amount of people compared to doing it openly.

So on the non-anonymous Internet we'd all have to be better behave and more "normal" than we are in our own, actual daily lives. It would be useless, hardly anyone would step out of their little box to do anything because the price of doing it could be very high in real life. No more Sup Forums, no more youtubers, no more furry porn, no more trap threads or ANYTHING "gay" for someone who is closeted, no ponies, no hooking up online, no games where you shoot people, no more MMOs. Probably a lot less art, music, poetry, etc.

In a way the anonymous internet is the first time humans have actually spoken to each other at length with nothing getting in the way. Rather than some kind of danger I really think it's a critical development in how things become a lot better. We have to accept that we're not a bunch of goody-two-shoes to really move forward as a culture.

>when I say "SJW" I mean "authoritarian"
That's pretty stupid. There's authoritian regimes on several continents and authoritarian Americans who are moderate and conservative.

God damn just go away. Either you've been paying attention for the last 3 years of this bullshit or you haven't, but god damn it. Just look up Yale, First Amendment, and petition. You'll get a friendly dose of bullshit that will change your mind on what it means to be an "SJW."

Wtf.. I used to respect TIME. I used to read it almost word to word.

But this article.. oh my god. How did they let this one through?

I read until "Neo-Nazi" then fast forwarded to the end, face-palmed and felt very depressed. One bastion of neutrality in our age and 100 years before is compromised.

I cant express in words or smileys or anything else how sickening that article made me feel. Spaghetti.

jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-called-no-womans-sky-1785411230

And then someone can misrepresent them, if you ask a feminist they'll say the core of alt-right identity is being white or being male. They won't even try to hide the fact they don't to actually think about why people disagree with them.

It's fine I guess, the right isn't listening. You have to stop the REDNECK U R DUM memes before they'd even start listening. It's not like Colbert quit because he was old, he quit because he realized what he was doing to the american left by selling it stereotypes. Also the fact that the people dead-set against the concept of stereotypes eat that shit right out of the bag the second it concerns their political rivals is endlessly funny, you're making yourselves look so stupid and intolerant.

I was a liberal, still kinda am - I just don't think censoring the entire earth, banning guns and letting neo-marxist professors destroy university life are good ideas.

THIS. This is getting so common, I can't even find pro-trump shit to make jokes with. You can literally type something like "women suck" or "black people are disgusting" and get lists of sites with liberals talking about why those things aren't true. They're not true, yes, but the fact I can't even find racist/sexist material I fucking know exists on google is disturbing. Google is the last goddamn thing that needs to be forcing opinions. The fuck happened to "Don't be evil"?

We cannot let Trump win,OP.

That's the bottom line.

CANCER

No. You know exactly what I mean. When an SJW talks things like "that shouldn't be allowed" and "that's not okay" fly out of their mouth constantly. They never say who'd be doing or maintaining these bans on , they're just so naturally authoritarian that the idea that every behavior has an "allow/disallow" switch somewhere that can be flipped is common to almost all of them. I don't think that attitude would actually survive the kind of work it takes to write laws and maintain authority, they'd probably be horrified by the actual result too. But they never think that far ahead, they just constantly suggest authoritarian solutions. ACTUAL real and scary authoritarians in government, the sort of people who DO know how to and would survive the lawmaking/enforcement part get ahold of their loud opinions and use them to do what they'd like.

I hope they get something they like gets banned when some shithead runs away with their narrative so that they can know the kind of pain they're trying to inflict on others by even talking the way they do.

"I AM THE DECIDER OF WHAT'S MORALLY OKAY" ---> Fuck off

> Giving bears Baklava
This fucking pretentious faggot... Only 2 kinds of people know what Baklava is, pastry chefs and NOT THE FUCKING KIND OF PEOPLE THIS ARTICLE IS GOING TO DO JACK SHIT FOR YOU PIECE OF SHIT FUCKING KILL YOURSELF.

> The online disinhibition effect
Nigger how do you know we ain't just sick of you whining about your faggoty little upper class problems to the internet? We keep telling people like you to just fucking be grateful you ain't some nigger child in Africa getting rammed by the local wartribe while you have your sex organs cut on for the fun and pleasure of the group sadist, but ya'll just keep fucking pissing and moaning about MUH PRONOUNS AND MICROAGGRESSSIONS AAAUUHGGGHHH

Literally fucking end your life, because I don't care. I do not fucking care. I come here to laugh because I too am depressed. Does anyone care if I'm depressed? No. Do I expect people to care if I'm depressed? No. I deal with it. And you should too. Or... you know... kill yourself. Be a pal.

> A lack of authority and not communicating in real time
I smell fear. Not "Fear for society" or "Fear for the world", I sense fear for the self. You scared rich boy?

> Turning the whole internet into the one room where I was bullied most in highschool!
Your penis is still tiny and you'll never satisfy a woman. Also a lot of us got bullied in school too. Again, no one cares.

> Anita Sarkeesian
> Jessica Valenti

Oh so when they wanna bathe in male tears that's fine but when trolls want their turn to bathe in the tears of a sadist, that's a big big problem? You fucking white knight beta fag, no one will ever love you and you'll never satisfy a woman. Kill yourself.

> LITERALLY, NOT FIGURATIVELY, DIRECTLY FUCKING CONTRADICTING YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT NOT COMMUNICATING IN REAL TIME. ABSOLUTE FUCKING ANTITHETICAL AND YET YOU STILL FUCKING PUBLISHED THAT TROLLING IS CAUSED BY NOT COMMUNICATING IN REAL TIME
Holy shit you're retarded. Kill yourself Fam.

Someone screengrab it and send it to him on twitter.