Is Herbie Hancock the new meme?

Is Herbie Hancock the new meme?

I'm cool with it if it is. With this and Gay Dad I think 2017 is shaping up to be a great year for Sup Forums memes.

What's your favorite album by him? Mine is Sunlight

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uU7ZCUGnROk
youtube.com/watch?v=m0c38Wtdvz0
youtube.com/watch?v=mzifRDyPtd0
youtube.com/watch?v=n6QsusDS_8A
youtube.com/watch?v=7C6Km74cwgY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sextant
Avant-Herbie is the true.

>Mine is sunlight
Surprised by that.

But yes, he is the new meme I have created. And I am proud of it.

Here's mine favorite to least.

>when your artistic achievements are more magnificent than every other artists' and that of every thread ever on Sup Forums combined

HANCOCK'S WHAT'S UP, BITCHES

I've only heard a few of his albums front to back and I love them all. Sunlight is the one that stuck out the most to me. I like the more funk sound.
youtube.com/watch?v=uU7ZCUGnROk

hancock the Sup Forums slayer

Meme all you want just know he's more accomplished than your little indie rock hero could even fucking dream of being

HERBIE MOTHERFUCKER

youtube.com/watch?v=m0c38Wtdvz0

You have ten seconds to find a sicker bass.

Oh no I think he's legendary no disrespect. I've just been seeing a lot of herbie posts lately and now they're being used to derail the Sup Forums autist threads so I was wondering what the deal was.

The deal is we're replacing Sup Forums threads with something of value.

HERBIE NEW KING OF MU

Chameleon.

sufjan

GET OUT!
NO SUFJANS ALLOWED.

Literally who
The
Fuck
Is
That?

A guy with A STUPID HAT!

Looks stupid. Did he compose the album Headhunters? No?
GTFO

And he didn't make Butterfly either!
CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!

Damn.
HERBIE IS GOD.
OPINION DISQUALIFIED.

youtube.com/watch?v=mzifRDyPtd0
The Headhunters - Survival of the Fittest is some good shit. They're Herbie's backing band and he produced this record.

TIME FOR SOME FINELY AGED HERBIE MEMES

My meme has gone Sup Forums viral.

I can die happy now.

(I'm O.G. Herbie fan BTW ask me anything)

IT'S TIME TO WATCH THE MASTER AT WORK

youtube.com/watch?v=n6QsusDS_8A

IVE WATCHED THIS
CAN CONFIRM
ITS SUPER HOT

are you Herbie ?

No, unfortunately, I am not.

These are terrible forced memes. Simply posting "LMAO GAY DADS LOLLL XD" in every single thread doesn't make it a good meme. It makes it an annoying garbage meme. Fuck Gay Dads posters.

famalam herbie exists as a meme to derail threads that belong on Sup Forums
honestly this thread shouldn't exist, but fuck it, herbie nigga

>Insulting Herbie

Why are you mad user?
Have you tried accepting our Lord and Savior Herbie Hancock?

How did you first get into Herbie?

I think how it happened was I was looking at 'best albums' lists and I happened to come across one of Herbie's albums out of curiosity.

I looked him up, found out
A: He was versetile
and B: His album covers were badass and I wondered what was on it.

So starting a summer ago (late august) I went through his WHOLE discography, and kept a log of my favorite songs that I eventually made into a spotify playlist.

So, we know (because of Herbie) that synthesizers have a place in Jazz. However, Herbie's only done synth work alongside more traditional jazz instruments.

Say he made an album using only synthesizers, in a Jazz style. Would it still be Jazz? Why/why not?

Oh fuck me I wasn't ready for philosophy this intense..

Thanks Herbie.

Thabks, Herbie!

Herbie Hancock is cool. The meme is shit.

...He's not accepting Herbie...

What do we do, boys?

I think so. Jazz is defined way more by the style than the instrumentation, and with how wide and experimental modern jazz is, nobody could really object to an all-synth album.

Also, thanks, Herbie!

Don't force it. He has to come to Herbie by himself. You can lead a horse to water...

thanks, Herbie!

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER
GO LISTEN TO KENNY G, SINNER
ASSAIL HIM WITH THE TRUTH OF OUR LORD HANCOCK

...Which is it?
Drag him kicking and screaming or have him learn to accept it?

We can't do both!

Wait until he accepts that he must be dragged kicking and screaming.

WE MUST REMIND HIM THAT THE TRUTH OF LORD HERBIE HANCOCK ONLY GRACES US IN THIS LIFETIME
LET US PRAISE HIS NAME ACCORDINGLY AND DISREGARD THE NAYSAYER

Soooo...show him Fat Albert?

We can do that.

Hopefully this will change his mind.
youtube.com/watch?v=7C6Km74cwgY

If there are actual people behind the keys, it's definitely jazz. If it's totally composed and constructed (i.e. no improv) calling it jazz is a tough argument to make.

I mean, completely composing a piece was basically all that Glen Miller did. Was that jazz? Sure sounded like it. I can't really say.

Thanks, Herbie!

Good point user. Is improvisation necessary to jazz? Or embellishments of a certain variety to remove it from the classicist realm of through-composing?

Improv definitely seems to me like a very essential part of jazz. It's part of what set jazz apart as a genre. Without it, it's just some weird type of classical music.

On the other hand, we group most genres by their style, not their components. If I said "all rock music must have guitars" and you gave me something like 2cellos (bad example, but you get the idea) can I really say that's not rock, despite having all of its stylistic trappings?

Thanks Herbie

lol

Yeah, that just reinforces a personal theory of mine that all music can be classified around specific rhythms/tempos.
Jazz, of course, improvises around swing time and playing just ahead of the beat. Thoughts?

This is the best thing ever. Someone screenshot it for a mumor thread.

The problem with stricter rules like that is that you can always find some music that's both a classic in the genre and that violates that rule in part.

I feel like that rule works generally, but genres are too fuzzy to apply it without exception.

Yeah, definitely needs to be fleshed out. One day user, I'll post my critical music theory book here for u. (Based Herbie will undoubtedly get mention)

yes please
Sup Forums needs more theory discussion
i like shitposting as much as anyone else, but we can do more than that

I'm honored, Herbie Bro.
Well it's been a wild ride but I'm off now, til then, may Herbie the one and onlyest bless you with the smoothest jams for lifetimes to come.