What is that one album that is critically acclaimed but you just can't get into?

What is that one album that is critically acclaimed but you just can't get into?

Since I Left You by the Avalanches.

Every AC/DC album.

This piece of shit right here. 8 times and not a single song that I like.

Forever Changes from Love. A lot of the "gems" from that late 60s psych pop period I find to be obscenely overrated, especially that record from Love and Song Cycle from Van Dyke Parks.

Teens of Denial is one of his weakest albums. The hype was deserved, but no one aknowledged that it was a dissapointment.

>ac/dc
>critically acclaimed

Lmao

this is unironically the ONLY car seat headrest album I like

I love MPP by Animal Collective, but I've never gotten into it enough to consider it a "masterpiece" or to think it deserves a 9.6 from p4k

Yeah I listened to Twin Fantasy and How to Leave Town too, I liked a couple of songs. He's still overrated as fuck, nonetheless.

MBDTF

I love Yeezus and TLOP, but MBDTF sounds pretty generic, even if the production is godly.

Every radiohead album. I find at most one or two good songs on some albums.

That Slint album. To be fair I only listened to it once in 2008 and never went back to it since, but I found it pretty uninteresting back then.

Any of the acoustic Bob Dylan albums. Electric or nothing.

BOOOOOOOOOO

How? They're all catchy as balls, having interesting chord progressions, tempos, electronic wank, rythms, ambience, guitar woork, etc. There's always something neat to find. What albums did you hear?

The mood, emotional lyrics and delivery are part of the appeal. I personally enjoy a lot the guitar and drum work. Really neat tempo changes and use of harmonics in melody.

His lyrics are at the center of attentions and really shine. They're also as comfy as it gets. My fav side of Dylarino tbqh

the lyrics in the electric albums fucking destroy any acoustic song.

Swans

Literally every fucking thing

same

I don't gets what's so unique or enhancing about droning a single note

old prog rock

My nigga

Well yeah, when you mentally drill that entire content down to an inaccurate hyper-simplification, you're probably not going to be inclined to enjoy your inaccurate hyper-simplification you've created of the entire content.

Harding is god-tier

Well, I dont claim Swans to be anything, and in general I don't try to categorize music, but I agree, Swans is just plain boring.

Every U2 album

OK Computer
Kid A

do you have the non-edited version of this image? I have an extensive Thom Yorke folder, and I've never seen this one surprisingly....

This I can totally understand, that's a reasonable opinion, ya know?
>I don't gets what's so unique or enhancing about droning a single note
>droning a single note
That's just petty. It sounds like someone has mistaken a Sunn O))) song for Swans.

>rainy day women is better than girl from the north country

Harding has three good tracks

>U2
>critically acclaimed
by who? your mom?

here, have fun with it

fuck off

First 3 albums are just really catchy post-punk with Edge's unique delay-based melodic playing and Bono's naive yet genuine and heartfelt lyrics and delivery. Just simple, unpretentious music.

Unforgettable Fire saw them colaborating with Eno, so there's a lot of ambient influences, better production and atmosphere going on, while also having some of their catchiest moments and genuine spirit.

Joshua is more of the same, this time with a "americana" feel to it and slightly more blues influences. It has this grandiose, almost spiritual feel to it, while having their biggest, most anthemic hits.

Rattle and Hum is passable, they took the mood of Joshua and made it a bit too self-important for their own good. Some nice cuts though.

Achtung Baby was the most radical transformation for a huge artist at the time (they were, at a point, one of the biggest bands in the world iirc). Industrial sounds, rave-ish dance beats, overall a more electronic, modern sound with more effects on the Edge's playing. Bono's Fly persona is quite memorable too.

Zooroopa is more of the same but more calm and electronic.

Pop was unfinished business, pretty inconsistent overall.

Horizon is just neat, well produced modern U2.

The rest is garbage with a few exceptions.

Original Soundtracks 1 is their more experimental release. Colaboration album with Eno. Kinda like an esoteric space ambient thing. Underrated as fuck.

this one is also a photoshop
the original was AMSP

It's his second worst acoustic album after the debut. Anyone who says otherwise is meming

by people who aren't tryhards that only know about them from bono on south park

>Bono's Fly persona is quite memorable too.
the problem after achtung baby is that he basically became the mask, he turned into the fly for real

that doesn't look like thom yorke but it does look like mads mikkelsen

Right. Like 2000 rolled around U2 decided to be a serious stripped back rock band again and Bono was in full sunglasses mode.

I was expecting a landmark of sludge metal and all I got was a heavier version of Drowning Pool

Listened to it a few times, still can't really get into it. I prefer more of the stuff it influenced than the album itself.

Agree

boring as fuck and a lot of the songs sound the same

Aphex Twin

any Fugazi record has done absolutely nothing for me

Listen to Eyehategod

Most Hip Hop albums, and especially Kanye. Maybe the stuff just isn't for me, but I don't like most of what i listen too. OutKast are pretty great though.

Thanks, I broke my monitor punching my screen at this stupid fucking post.

Like the scream of the butterfly........

Atrocity Exhibition

False equivalency. If you wanna make it a fair fight compare A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall to Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands

By critics

wew I have never seen the AMSP one
you sure, m8?

yup. the original is from a video and the picture is just an unflattering shot of Thom

>Achtung Baby was the most radical transformation for a huge artist at the time
Idk about this. Bowie made jumps that big between almost every album in the 70s. Diamond Dogs to Young Americans to Station to Station were the craziest jumps.
Achtung Baby is the shit though.

sad eyed lady wins.

Its weird because i love their self-titled.

Anything by the doors.
Idk why it just doesn't interest me at all, and I like a lot of music from that era. I've tried to like them but just don't.

Pharaoh Sanders' Karma.
Free jazz in general is annoying as fuck and painful to listen to

Anything by Slowdive or Mojave 3

Not enjoying it is kind of part of the experience. It's hard to explain.

Every Animal Collective record. I really tried, but none of them "clicked" for me.

postrock
krautrock

Agreed

Add Oddysey and Oracle to the list as well.

Psychedelic music was so much better in the 90s.

Sure the 60s had The Chocolate Watchband and the 13th Floor Elevators and The Electric Prunes but psychedelic music for the most part was just too primitive back then to be fully realized.

I listened to it many times before I actually "got" it, just keep listening to it every once in a while

XTC Skylarking
Silver Apples

same

jfc

Why are you typing like a little boy?

I love free jazz and Karma does nothing for me. Is it really even free jazz tho?

this i just cant get into silver apples even though i listen to a lot of similar artists

That Bjork album with the black and white-ish cover.

That's because a fuck ton of Ye-stans made a global circle jerk over it. It's not that good.

I am not gonna lie, I have tried getting into Joy Division countless times. Yet I still don't get it. Their songwriting and arrangement just feels to sparse and simple in every way possible without making up for it in any form of intensity like punk usually does. Now I do get that in a way it is a very fitting way to musically describe depression, but I feel even then the straightforward manner everything's delivered kinda ruins that idea, too.

Look at it from a an ambient comfy plunderphonics perspective than a dancey grooves one.

Get some booze. Consume said booze.

I think psych from each decade since the 60s has gone for very different things, and that if one tries to look for what they prefer in one decade of psych into another, they won't like it. 60s psych has a kind of analog comfy feel to it that future psych stuff didn't have. You learn to appreciate the lower production values despite them being kinda offputting at first.

Take it in as less of a rock album and more a proto-electronic dance music album. Eno made this record by taking various live performances, jam sessions, and individually recorded parts in the studio and made samples/loops out of them and put them together in various ways. Thus there's a lot of subtle sounds that'll appear for a bit then disappear that are there to appreciate.

The arrangement on it's far denser than their other works with some of the timbres used being far more unconventional (yeah HCTI might sound more "out there" from them, but at least its loud percussion makes sense vs MPP having weird shit like water droplet sounding stuff being the percussion.) As a result it requires actually a decent amount of experience in listening to ambient electronic stuff as well to full appreciate it.

how bout this?

>Sure the 60s had The Chocolate Watchband and the 13th Floor Elevators and The Electric Prunes but psychedelic music for the most part was just too primitive back then to be fully realized.

better not mention the doors or jefferson airplane

MBDTF is anything but generic though. It's pretty various. Like the album starts with Dark Fantasy which is very grandiose, has the choir, with pristine production. But then the next track right after (Gorgeous) sounds more distorted and muddled, like everything in it is this weird kind of blob. Power is really cool because of how much more jazzy/kinda prog that track is with how busy it is, the drum beats/guitar licks, and how the various breaks are timed. All of The Lights is the typical upbeat pop single, going so far to represent pop music as to having a large cast of various vocalists. Monster and So Appalled have all these features that each rap with their own unique flows it's like a jazz track where there are two jazz drummers (one of them is the soloist) and the soloist gets replaced by an entirely different drummer every minute or so. Runaway has a goddamned autotune CRYING solo who the fuck thinks up of shit like this?

But yeah you get the point, each track on that record usually has something very different to offer.

With OKC and Kid A, it's worth always paying attention closely to the various sounds that come through it as that's where the engaging aspects of the music's at imo. Like the other day I was listening to Idiotheque with my new better headphones and I just noticed that the weird electronic sounds that come in during the "Ice Age" verse of the track actually have their own separate melody if you listen for it closely enough.

Syncopated rhythms thanks to angular guitar parts that are often playing two very different things at different timings, giving the record a sense of maximalism. BUT it doesn't actually feel that maximal because the production was purposefully done to make the music feel sparse due to the melancholic atmosphere they were going for.

yep
I love me some experimental rap, but this album just didn't do it for me.

This. They are tremendously boring.

Early Swans: Loud and visceral. Noisy and abrasive with a powerful rhythm section made of multiple drummers/bassists. Maintained repetition to give a sense of submission/relentlessness.

Children Of God Swans - A lot of the earlier industrial guys were influenced by psychedelic music, but had practically none of it. This album is a very interesting example of actually psychedelic music and industrial.

Neo Folk Swans: It's neo folk. Not much to explain about it. Though still interesting since unlike other neofolk guys who also came from a post-punk/industrial background, Swans still had relatively heavy post-punk/drone elements in the music.

SFTB Swans: Think of the term post-rock and the various forms of music it defines. Put it all into one album.

Nu Swans: Minimalist jammy krautrock + no wave/punk. Heavy focus on delivering timbres and textures rather than melody.

>degenrate weeb trash
>shit taste
kys

Listen to Neu! or Can. If you still can't into it, sorry.

Does if have progression based on some nice riffs? Yeah. Does it have a vocalist that is surprisingly very talented on doing everything from standard technical stuff like vibratos to screams? Yeah. It's not some kind EHG type heroin with bedsores sludge, but it's still a pretty cool release.

It's basic pop hooks, but the real deal with the record is the sound manipulation that happens from various production tricks. The "macro" of this album is purposefully left simple so that the "micro" of it can be appreciated more.

If you like electronic music at all, I am sure there's at least one release you must like from the guy. They are all pretty varied.

I feel ya. Nothing to me felt more disappointing than going from Minor Threat to Fugazi and noticing that it doesn't have Minor Threat's energy. That being said I do love Fugazi now for what they are not what I wanted from them.

People just like Silver Apples for the novelty of it being cutting edge at the time. Just like Suicide. Their music isn't actually enjoyable.

Every Radiohead album. Some songs are good but mostly i think their music is boring.

Pink Flag has some ok songs but is generally overrated. Chairs Missing and 154 are much better.

I love how the beats often start to unfold like a standard hip hop beat then slightly get "experimental" by subtle transitions/sounds coming through. It's kinda got this "pure innocent/happy turning into dark/depraved/disgusting" feel to it.

Karma isn't really free jazz though. Karma's infinitely easier to digest after going through Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Kulu Sé Mama.

Radiohead
King Crimson
Pink Floyd

>implying people don't like Suicide's "rundown shitty arcade machine" atmosphere