Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1793

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
Fuck Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/demolition_d/sets/rock-out-dude
jisho.org/sentences/518663d4d5dda7e981000b0e。
youtube.com/watch?v=P7Z2O9Nwt6c
thisplaylist.com/song/play-mp3/aaaaaa-minnanouta-606914.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread:

Gib japanese boipussy pls

shitposting jp thread is here

xth for ヒッキー生活

Give me your Japanese music playlists for studying with Anki

soundcloud.com/demolition_d/sets/rock-out-dude

How to go from nothing to N1 in one year?
>five year animu watching
>tae kim
>chink

By reading the guide. also, 出来ない

Could someone please tell me how to translate the very last line of text on this page.

It's some kind of name pun that I'm not able to understand.

If you google おこリーリエ you will find some links about it. Apparently the original form was がんばリーリエ. In this case おこ presumably is 怒る or angry. So basically she is saying she is angry.

Okay, I see. Thank you.
So, you think "You're making me reLillie angry." might be acceptable?

I guess. It kind of loses the cuteness of the Japanese version though. Well, it's a judgment call. Translation is hard.

>It kind of loses the cuteness of the Japanese version though
I agree. But I really can't think of any other way to do it.

How easily can you guys understand written Chinese? For those that know Kanji, I assume you can at the very least get the gist of a sentence?

谢谢。

>/jp/ Collector's Edition
Dude.

Not much at all. Particularly since the majority of characters used in Chinese aren't used in Japanese. (Not to mention the simplified characters look so different.) I have sometimes heard Chinese people claim they can understand Japanese just because they recognize the kanji. I think they are greatly overestimating their own comprehension.

If I had to make an analogy, it would be like saying you could understand Latin if you know English (or vice versa), since so many English words have Latin roots.

anyone learning another language alongside japanese?

>Not much at all. Particularly since the majority of characters used in Chinese aren't used in Japanese. (Not to mention the simplified characters look so different.)
Good point. I wasn't sure, but figured this would have been the case. Thanks for the response.

After learning a few things like の = 的, 我 = me, 你 = you, etc. I can often get the gist of stuff. I occasionally browse Chinese sites to get pirated stuff and usually can get around just fine.

Italian.

Hey, new here.

Something that's been bother me is why some lyrics to a song drop the w in 私 (atashi), and some songs add w to 愛 (wai). It's been bother me for a while now and I haven't the slightest idea as to why.

I can't say I've heard the wai thing you mentioned, but あたし is a valid reading. It's used by women (女言葉).

I'm a big fan of H!P groups, and in one song by Morning Musume, 愛の軍団, it is sung as "wai no gundan". I thought I misheard it, but reading their lips, it's very clear they're pronouncing wa-i.

At least the あたし thing is cleared up a bit.

「あたし」 is kind of Edo dialect.
It's casual language.
Because, in the first place, 私 of male's word is only polite language, it is not only women's word.

thanks user.

Btw, what are everyone's study goal?

Are you satisfied with some anki achievement or would you go after jlpt?

I listened to the song on Youtube, and yeah, for whatever reason it does indeed sound like that. There's even a comment there that points out it sounds like Y. I couldn't tell you why it's like that, but in any case, it's not something you'll hear often I'm pretty sure. At the very least it's the first time I hear that.

Japanese English speaker's evaluation criteria is thoughtless really.

>培う
my tongue, the betrayer

Ahh, I see. Thank you!

It isn't something too important to me, I'd just like to understand why it's pronounced like that. Language and dialects intrigued me. Knowing as much as I could about a language is one of my goals. Thank you though!

You could drop the "re" and just go with "lillie angry", it'll sound even more natural.

I would go after jlpt. However, I would also like to practice and improve my production, since jlpt only tests comprehention

>谢谢
Apologies?
That's the simplified form of the hanzi 謝, as in 謝る, which means "to apologize"

It also has the meaning of thanks, which is the case here. 感謝, 謝意.

>I can't say I've heard the wai thing you mentioned
The ateji 可愛い uses the "Wai" reading. I don't know to what degree it's considered a valid way to pronounce it, though

ん、そうか
教えてくれてありがとう、ノルウェーさん

>tfw Kikuhime will never be my oyabin

Could you understand Japanese texts just knowing the kanji meanings and no grammar or words?

カール・マルクスいわ曰く「あらゆるしゃかい社会のれきし歴史はかいきゅうとうそう階級闘争のれきし歴史である」だそうです。

どしたんだか?どして変な書いた?

I met a 17 yr old American kid living in Japan with his parents and going to school there. He was obsessed with RTK and had memorised all the mnemonics. He knew the meanings of all the kanji, but couldn't read the on or kun readings.

He could point out each individual kanji, but he didn't know the meanings of compound kanji. He got the gist of things, there was just a wide gap in knowing what kind of words multiple kanji compounds were forming.

Can you understand Japanese texts? I doubt it. Can you 'read' manga? Probably.

かしこ畏まりました

何ですか?
この作文はJisho.orgから来ました。
どうぞ、jisho.org/sentences/518663d4d5dda7e981000b0e。

カールマルクスが好きですか?
彼は偉いね。

ああ、そうか。
ふりがなも書いたから、変な作文みたいだった。

さあ
カール・マルクスのことは詳しくない

This is a fun game.

You should play it.

So I've been wanting to keep track of all the words I have learned so far in an easy to access and update format (aka alphabetized in a table for each word with the English meaning, hiragana spelling, and kanji if one exists) so I was thinking of using either word or excel.

Does anyone have a better idea of a way to track your own personal vocabulary of words?

>Does anyone have a better idea of a way to track your own personal vocabulary of words?
my brain lol

1. How do you decide whether you 'know' a word or not? If you see it once do you 'know' it?

2. Just do anki

youtube.com/watch?v=P7Z2O9Nwt6c
Guys, I'm worried. I just saw this video and I already paid 500 dollars I will be getting back to apply to a study abroad program in Osaka Japan. It's for six weeks on college campus. A-Am I screwed?! Will I have a shit time?! I have good work ethic, I promise that! I have an above 3.0 gpa and do all my homework assignments and study. But what if my time is terrible?!

If you have a terrible time, it is not too late to switch over to learning Chinese.

what is your favorite kanji? mine is 法

山+上+下=mountain ridge?

Well, I'm going to go through with it. I already basically invested too much time and money. And one I do it I'll have all four semester of language and my prerequisite international stuff done so I won't need to any more language stuff. Besides, if I learn anything else I'll probably go with easier language like Spanish, French, or German and Russian.

The video you posted seems to be about working in Japan. You are planning to study there for a short time. The situations are quite different.

However, it is good to go in with realistic expectations. Like the guy in the video said, many people think that Japan is some kind of paradise on earth, and they suffer severe culture shock when they realize it's just another country. With good parts and bad parts.

みんなさんおやすみなさい : )

今、寝に行きます。

help I missed anki for a couple of days and I'm scared to look
is it terminal

There is a program called WeSay for creating dictionaries.
It's geared towards preserving dying languages, but nothing prevents you from using it to make a personal dictionary of your wapanese vocabulary.

I haven't really explored it yet, my main intention is conlanging, but you might want to give it a try!

I for one don't intend keeping track of my vocabulary like that, but I will probably buy a notebook to manually write every kanji I learn along with a few vocabulary examples and semantic meanings, making my very own grimoire.

Anki, really

If you want to get it into spreadsheet format from anki it's easy enough anyway

>姉さん、ごめんね
A-anki, what did you do to 姉さん?

Dont want to sound like a noob asking, but does anyone have a preference on which deck to use starting out between the 2k/6k and kanji damage decks?

Core 6k with shitty kanji mnemonics and a $300 price tag

Adjectival Nouns #11: Predicative Phrases

このプログラムは最悪のようだ。・このぷろぐらむはさいあくのようだ。・This program appears to be the worst.

彼女は独身のはずです。・かのじょはどくしんのはずです。・I'm sure she is single now.

最悪・サイアク・the worst, is made up of 最・サイ・extreme/most and 悪・アク・bad/evil. 最 is a phono-semantic (sound-meaning) compound of 曰・エツ・say and 取・シュ・take/fetch. Don't confuse 日・ニチ day with 曰, but this illustrates how certain kanji radicals can become distorted due to resolution/simplification. 取 is simply 耳・みみ・ear and 又・また・again (right hand radical), its a pictogram of someone placing their right hand by their ear and going 'You want me to fetch what now?'. You can add the 曰 radical to the top of 取 to show shouting into someones ear while they cup their hands to increase the sound, because they are hard of hearing - an extreme increase in volume. 悪 is made up of 亜・つぐ・rank and 心・こころ・heart, 亜 is a Japanese kanji which was changed from 亞 which originally meant four corners of a house. In middle Chinese however, 亞 also had the meaning of ugly which was represented in 惡 bad. You can think of 悪 as 'ugly heart'. Together 最 and 悪 create an extremely ugly heart, or the worst thing ever.

最悪・サイアク・the worst

このプログラムは・this program (television) subject・最悪のようだ。the worst appears to be.

Cont'd.

彼女・かのじょ・she/her/girlfriend is made up of 彼・かれ・ヒ・he, that, the and 女・おんあ・じょ・woman. 彼 is a phono-semantic compound made up of 彳stepping with the left foot and 皮 a hand stripping fur from an animal pelt. The meaning of this kanji is comes from a 人・じん・man with a mark above him, pointing him out 彳. The 皮, from the Chinese Min Nan was pronounced as pî, from which the ヒ reading of 彼 evolved - adding the phonetic component. 女・おんあ・woman is simply a pictogram of a woman crossing her legs. So 彼 he, that person 女 female. Remember that かのじょ is a Japanese word, so you don't use the on readings.

独身・ドクシン・single/unmarried is made up of 独・ドク・single/alone and 身・シン・person/station (in life). 独 is made up of 犭a dog and 虫 a snake, but Japanese now use 虫・むし for insects. The story here is that dogs are pack animals and snakes are (small) predators that are difficult to kill alone. A dog doesn't want to be 独 alone when facing a snake. 身 is a pictogram of a pregnant woman, but meanings include oneself, body and social status. In the sense of 独身, 身 refers to social status and 独 the state of being single, to mean the social status of being single - bachelor.

彼女は・She・独身のはずです。single (I'm) sure is.

Cont'd.

You can think of this の as a adjective modifier for regular nouns. In English, 'single' is a noun and an adjective. In the above example it isn't really clear why の is being used, however look at the following re-translation of the example:

彼女は・She・独身のはずです。singleness (I'm) sure is. (Singleness is the state of being single - a noun)

Now, that doesn't make sense in English because English doesn't have adjectival nouns. We are, however in English, able to use nouns as adjectives, without marking them as such, i.e. 'History Teacher'. This is where English translation fails to properly explain Japanese grammar because of the different structures used in each language.

Here is a re-translation of the previous example:

最悪 is a different story because it actually is a な-adjective.

So in short, use な for real adjectives and の for real nouns.

That is it for today, tune in tomorrow for another lesson.

>兄さん、おめでとう。
His siblings were probably competing and oniichan won over oneechan.

>touhou
Have you learned nothing?
Must I BEAT some sense into you?

あってるよね?

ぶんぽうてきには

そう
先生が厳しいみたいだね

もっとひねって

>いいえチャパティです

だったらツっこんでもらえたのかもしれない

なるほどねぇ
意地悪やのぅ~

インド人の留学生が

あんまナンたべねーよって言ってたから

にほんでいうところの寿司みたいなもんなんだろう

外国のほうで有名だけど、日本ではあんまり食べない系の食べ物

DJT

why is pol telling me the n1 is useless? i shill these DJT Threads every day for you guys and this is what i get

Booted up はなひらっ! and got through the morning conversation without any problems. But once they went outside the casual patterns killed my brain. Anything easier than this or should I just force myself through this?

Where does it say that? From what I understand he's saying that N1 is necessary, not useless.

its not the OP

its the people responding to OP with the jap flags

You won't be able to get a job unless you have AT LEAST a N2.

someone in another thread said that if you follow tae kim you'll learn non-standard japanese, is it true?
we use genki 1 at my school but i've used guidetojapanese as a reference a couple of times

Well to be fair, it does depend on the nature of the job as well as the employing company.

This is false. You can get a job with no JLPT and a bachelors degree. Teaching English...

Yeah if they just need a baka gaijin to play dancing monkey.

Anyway you need a bachelors degree as well. Or 10 years of experience.
Which means I wont be able to anyway.

i read recently that if english is not your first language there's no way you can be an english teacher in japan anymore
you'll most likely also need some experience and/or education as a teacher

Yeah I think they always strongly preferred people from places like Australia, USA, UK, etc for that reason.

It is probably dependent on the company though

>Yeah I think they always strongly preferred people from places like Australia, USA, UK, etc for that reason.
That's more or less it. Companies generally want native English speakers teaching English, even if they aren't really doing anything a non-native English speaker couldn't do.
There is also a bias with their immigration system, wherein certain countries are favoured over others in terms of ease of getting people in. For example, it is harder for an American to get through the immigration process in order to stay on a work visa than it is an Australian. Bureaucracy shit.

> why it's pronounced like that.
You don't have to mind it, and I know it is because Tsunku who made this song made them sing so like 「たりんろめらんて」 instead of 「他人の目なんて」 in other part. It is a special case.

>It is a special case.
A speech impediment?

今日、スエーデンはとても寒いですよ。今は摂氏ー15度です。
Does this sound correct to you guys? How do I properly say that it's negative celsius?

Well, no.
That is the case how singers express the song of them in each unique way and I think there are some singers who do it as well you know.
Unfortunately, it is not good to practice Japanese pronunciation though.

マイナスx度
Also you don't need to specify celsius

Alright. Is it more common to write マイナス or is it OK to just do a minus (-) sign?

Minus sign is probably fine but at least use the mins symbol from a japanese monospace font, like -(You can get it by typing マイナス into the IME then pressing space a few times)

Looks like Sup Forums fucks up the minus sign but if you type it like I said it should be a monospaced symbol normally.

Thank you. I only used the long one because I couldn't find how to type the correct sign.

For example, is this?

thisplaylist.com/song/play-mp3/aaaaaa-minnanouta-606914.html
(volume warning)

wai wo tomenaide

This is that singer's peculiar vocalization.

かめ、it's the kanji for turtle
there was one font that it looked great in but i can't remember which one
i'm using meiryo everywhere now