I've been listening to the gods of yesterday for as long as I can remember. I was brought up around great music...

I've been listening to the gods of yesterday for as long as I can remember. I was brought up around great music. I discovered a lot of bands and whatnot on my own in and after high school. I really thought I'd pretty much heard it all. Peter Frampton, Frank Marino, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, UFO, etc. That's just the 70's. That doesn't include the 80's and early 90's. I stumbled upon Frank Zappa while ago and I'm beating my head against the wall for not listening sooner. I'd heard of him and read about him, but I never listened to him. Absolute genius this man was! I'm not exaggerating when I say I've listened to damn near every band including their obscure songs and stuff you'd never hear on radio - the deep tracks. I've even listened to all the legendary bluesmen. How on Earth did I miss Zappa?! I turned 28 a couple days ago, but wow. He was born in Baltimore, which is an hour and a half from my town. I'm seriously floored. Go listen to Frank Zappa!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H9liRgXAFGU
youtube.com/watch?v=lDRUvpDmsyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TWBj7NR338Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jBRkvsVrH0M
youtu.be/xiorncOFpcg
youtube.com/watch?v=R7_kuDyuBwo
vocaroo.com/i/s0jRKsJknNvv
youtube.com/watch?v=DzNVKdqz4sE
vocaroo.com/i/s0d7fPhIcClY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Titties and Beer!

jazz from hell is great

>I'm not exaggerating when I say I've listened to damn near every band including their obscure songs and stuff you'd never hear on radio - the deep tracks.

Very faggy thing to say

Thought he was man: but he was a muffin!!

OP here. The Muffin Man is on right now and it's just amazing. Just got done listening to Black Napkins and Willie The Pimp. Every song has been stellar thus far.

>I was brought up around great music.
if your parents didn't listen to zappa you have no right to say this. in fact they were probably about as cultured as niggers because he's pretty much a staple.

I'm talking the classic here. I'm a guitarist and I'm constantly searching for new stuff to play from yesterday. I dig deep. I've met tons of guys way older than me who are blown away by what I know and then by what I teach them. Not bragging, but this is just my thing.

Watch 'Eat That Question: Frank Zappa In His Own Words'. Just came out a few weeks back, and might be online somewhere. Its a cool Zappa documentary.

OP do you listen to Primus?

If you like Zappa you'll like Primus. Some good tracks to start with:

>Harold of the Rocks
>Tommy the Cat
>Frizzle Fry

Bongo Fury, son! Hot Rats!!

dude listen to Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt

unique album full of weird and depressing sounds

>I've met tons of guys way older than me who are blown away by what I know and then by what I teach them. Not bragging, but this is just my thing.

Wow you actually managed to say something even faggier, well done

Branch out from Zappa and discover Captain Beefheart. Now.

youtube.com/watch?v=H9liRgXAFGU

You will never be the same, ever ever again.

another classic
youtube.com/watch?v=lDRUvpDmsyQ

I love Primus! I bought a bass because of Les Claypool. Eh, and Steve Harris. Lol. Winona's Big Brown Beaver!

Just curious, how old are you OP?

John is a God!

OP here. While I've got your attention, you guys should go check out King's X. Probably the greatest band you've never heard of. Talent talent talent!

not op but wild guess- 28

Primus sucks

OP here. Just turned 28 a couple days ago.

dude you're such a faggot every 6 year old has heard of zappa and every 12 year old knows king's x. fuck right off.

I'm 17, but I many of my older friends say I'm an old soul. Lol

Yeah but do listen to good current music? Have you found any gems from the late ten years?
As a fan of older music and new, I find most fans of the classics are completely narrow minded and usually dead brain retarded set in their ways.

my favourite album ever, so fucking full of feelings

OP here. I guess you could say I'm a little narrow-minded. Though, I do try to find current rock-based music of exceptional quality. I find its hard.

OP I love Zappa just as much as the next guy but you are just cringey as fuck m8!

>guys i heard this new band called pink flod there so fuckin good listen to em guys!

Jazz opened up so many different genres and sub genres to me that it broke the walls of what I thought was real music. Just last week I started listening to electronic music, which I still have a deep hatred for somewhat, but there are these amazingly talented musicians behind it.

Another discussion is the difference between bedroom musicians and touring bands.
I find bedroom musicians to be much more tasteful and fearless. Touring musicians are trying to make money selling and being a product, which we all hate most of the time.
I think we're venturing into a golden age of musical expression because you don't need to go to a venue to have your music heard. Give it a chance, man.

>I started listening to electronic music
Do yourself a favor and look into Aphex Twin

some of his stuff is used in this doc that one of my IRL friends (Gibby) and Tim Leary and Johnny Depp made before John's house burned down back in 93 or 94 (yeah I'm old and I'm from Texass! Butthole Surfing Comb BBQ Pope)

youtube.com/watch?v=TWBj7NR338Y

How's your summer vacation?
Let's gets a vocaroo of you playing guitar and we'll have a battle

Been listening to Tennyson and haywre

I generally dislike everyone and everything but I have mad respect for Frank Zappa.

what's your favorite Zappa album op?

so cool dude, im a big fan of john, i knew "stuff", he was so fucking destroyed, so cool you know gibby irl, how old are you man?

The Aristocrats are fantastic. Zappa would be proud!

Aphex Twin uses chaos magick in his creations so be sure and put up some kind of defense before delving off into those dark alleys of the mind. If you know how...

You ever hear that joke about the Aristocrats?

nice Bond, m8

I toured with them for awhile when they reunited, and then again when they, ahem, reunited again ha
I'm better friends with Paul than any of them, but I've known all of them for years and years

Sure have.

Vocaroo for proof

nice man, since you have quite more experience than i, do you know any music like johns solo stuff?

how is a vocaroo gonna provide proof that he knows Paul Leary?

What is he gonna call him and up?

>yeah I know user we go wayyy back

No, let's hear his chops. If you toured then you should be halfway decent.

Sheik Yerbouti got through a bad breakup...zappa rules dude

So if someone doesn't listen to frank Zappa they are equally cultured to that of a nigger?

Loser detected

Zappa, Mr. Bungle, Primus, Ween. The stuff of legends.

I have his number on my phone but I haven't called him in forever. He wouldn't be up right now anyways, he gets up early and works on shit so he can watch the Price is Right (not even joking)

I know a lot of people from the whole circle, Daniel Johnston, Bonnie Prince Billy, Quintron, Miss Pussycat, we all had a forum that grew pretty famous and then once I met them in real life, I followed them around and befriended them all, way way back in the early 90s

here I filmed this and other shit

youtube.com/watch?v=jBRkvsVrH0M

wtf does touring have to do with playing music? derp

Why is it so wrong to ask a recording of him playing music? Excuse me for livening up this thread or are you just upset I stopped the circle jerk?

I didn't want you to call him, I just assumed you played music and wanted to hear it.

>asks for a vocaroo
>"excuse me for livening up this thread"

I taped for them mostly, never played with them on stage, hung out after shows with Laygo and King and Paul

>let's hear more lies about hanging out with musicians
I can greentext and post maymays too

I forgot Sup Forums hates OC

you're confusing another poster for me, user

Wished he would have won

What is OC about a vocaroo?
Why did you assume he was a musician?
What if he was a drummer and didn't have his drumkit near his pc?
Sup Forums hates OC? It breeds it
Why are you such a salty faggot?

The Rev?

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
that haven't been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of
you to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be
performing which could eventually lead to The Death Penalty (or affect your parents'
credit rating). Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you who do wrong things...
and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC! Our studies
have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to society at large that laws are being
drawn up at this very moment to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are
being carefully described in tiny paragraphs so they won't conflict with the Constitution
(which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate THE FUTURE).
I bring you now a special presentation to show what can happen to you if you choose
a career in MUSIC . . . The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only. . . if you
have to load or unload, go to the WHITE ZONE... you 'll love it... it 's a way of life . . .
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading
only... (etc.)

Okay please listen to this instead. Floppy Boot Stomp is okay, but Beefheart made in my opinion the greatest album of all time... youtu.be/xiorncOFpcg

>what is OC about vocaroo
"OC" means original content, he records original content
>why did you assume he was a musician?
He stated that he toured. Regardless of being in a band or being a hand, most people who work in music play music
>what if he was a drummer?
Badass, love drummers
>and didn't have his drum kit near his pc?
Well I guess he doesn't record his drums?
>Sup Forums hates OC? It breeds it
Breeds it? I think you mean regurgitates it.
I'm not even salty. You're coming at me pussyfg8

I have this on vinyl, good shit (Beck ripped it off on Stereopathetic Soul Manure years later)
fuck, guess I learned my lesson about bragging on the internet, I haven't used that "d" account since myspace days, who are you? don't out me as in any of my projects or names please, thanks

remember Angela? she doesn't look like that anymore, sadly

>Breeds it? I think you mean regurgitates it.

this sentence makes me think you've only been on Sup Forums for about a year or two. I'm not btw, just saying that Sup Forums is the source of most memes

PC? I don't use Microsoft products
I'm in a living room where I can't move very easily, heh

the 'regurgitates it' part was a joke, user. And I've been on and off Sup Forums since '08. I frequent other boards more often.

Just face it, you stupidly asked for a vocaroo proving the guy knew Paul Leary or toured or played an instrument, whatever. You made a dumb request, people called you out on it, and you responded by saying "Mehhh I guess Sup Forums hates original content"

Sounds salty to me...

>i'm not even salty

Sure

Did I hit a nerve, user? I'm really sorry I ruined your thread. I'll leave now though, have fun talking about zappa.

minnie mouse?!?! I know who you are now for sure! HAHA goddamn what are you doing on here old man? rocking so hard your "other" toe is going to come off?!?!?!

>the 'regurgitates it' part was a joke, user.

was it? Cause you said it as a counter to the guy saying "Sup Forums breeds OC"

Good. Leave now. And never come back!

ok I'm leaving, don't give any more hints man, fuck, later

Wait before I go, will you send a vocaroo to prove you aren't a coward?

See I would do that, but Sup Forums hates OC so...

-Apostrophe
-Zoot Allures
-Hot Rats
-We're Only in it For the Money
-Freak Out
-One Size Fits All
-Shiek Yerbouti
-Weasels Ripped My Flesh
-Live From Fillmore East

Missing tons of em, but these are all god tier.

Beefheart is also god tier.

Aaaaarf.

youtube.com/watch?v=R7_kuDyuBwo

Hold on guys, how about I send you a vocaroo?

your taste is shit.

Savage!

>Absolute genius this man was!
definitely. he was a true composer

His son Dweezil performs Frank's stuff live -well worth it to see.

>zappa
>beefheart
>primus
whats it like having shit taste?

yeah no kidding

PRIMUS SUCKS

>goes on Sup Forums and tells people they have shit taste
>doesn't mention their own favorite artists
>probably hasn't even listened to much music
>grammar fail

What's it like being a shit troll?

You sir are a massive faggot! That being said...I give you props on Marino. Had a past roommate convinced it was the lost Hendrix tapes for over a year. The tubes, vanilla fudge, captain beyond? A friend of mine knew the FOH guy for Zep. I have over a hundred live shows recorded straight from the board! Slightly older than you but fuck you for forgetting Zappa. Check out his orchestrated shit. Yellow shark is interesting. Saw Zappa plays Zappa a few years ago! Dwezil killed it. Also Frost gets overlooked as well as nektar! Obligatory faggot to you OP!

you guys ruined this awesome thread

>awesome thread
What was awesome about it? OP bragging about his entry level music knowledge? The guy claiming he knew paul leary? The fight that ensued after someone foolishly asked for a vocaroo (that was prolly the best part tbh)

says vocaroo is spam wtf

here you go, haha

vocaroo.com/i/s0jRKsJknNvv

OP here. Whoever you're arguing with isn't me. I haven't posted in quite some time. Just checked back to see what was going on just now.

That was fucking great.

op did you listen to jazz from hell. i was the second guy who responded. its great. you should also check out this from his last album

youtube.com/watch?v=DzNVKdqz4sE

Love him, and I know the feeling. I discovered Richard Thompson when I was 40. Never too late to listen to good shit.

I did. I've been on YouTube clicking away and listening to everything I can find. His solos alone take your mind on this crazy ride and you have no idea where it's all headed.

yeah zappa is great man. you should also check out gentle giant and mahavishnu orchestra. although you said you liked 70s so you probably have already heard of them by now

it's fucking addictive being here, hooked forever
listen to this and you'll know if you're right or not
special little surprise at the end for some on this thread

vocaroo.com/i/s0d7fPhIcClY

I knew a guy who was really into Gentle Giant. He lent me an album called Three Friends. I've never listened to Mahavishnu Orchestra, but I'm well acquainted with John McLaughlin's other work.