youtube.com/watch?v=XvoIR78qWmc
youtube.com/watch?v=9Igooxb4D1c
youtube.com/watch?v=SpHCfndib0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=wY1fUAPYH3M
youtube.com/watch?v=87qVeARSrIo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>America
Laugh.

Think it's summer and a Regatta festival again.
>pops a beer.

are you native american

Nah. Family arrived in 1660.

"Tall ship festival, Yay."
Then I'd wonder which one to take a tour of first.

so you were the one on the boat

Here is your great great great great great great grandfather second from the right.

Yeah, thanks
One of them, yeah.

1. Spain
2. Pic related

Call the bolice.

youtube.com/watch?v=yK3Fs8isYX4

>be spanish armada
>die in a strom
>more than once

>be Dutch armada
>take London
>British pretend it was their plan all along
ayyy

>fpbp

Redcoats go home

>be Brit
>see what happens to Spanish Armada
>think it's a good idea to do the same thing

Shed a tear fir the sheer beauty and majesty of it all
I have spent my whole life at sea, including 3 years on tall ships (mostly schooners)

You'd enjoy sail Amsterdam then.

youtube.com/watch?v=bsSypB9gI0s

youtube.com/watch?v=ryCs9r4cqnY

Throw bananas at it.

Man, now I feel like watching pic related again.
GOAT of GOATs.

start bombarding

fking pirates

That's amazing, I have never seen so many boats and ships underway in one place at the same time.

;)
where did that ever start from

It was a great book series too, I read all 20.5 novels.
The film made a mistake changing the enemy ship from American to French. They thought making Americans the bad guys would bumbluster yank audiences but in reality I think it would have shown the truth, that at that time American ships and sailors were the only ones who could go against the Royal Navy and win.
After years of BTFO of Spanish and French ships the Brots were shocked to read of yankee naval prowess during the War of 1812.

Man the cannons

Man old timey warships look so fucking amazing.

I wanna build a model of one.

You should watch this movie. It's based on Rampjaar, which is the year France, Germany and the UK attacked the Netherlands at the same time. And we beat them off (in a non-sexual manner).

imdb.com/title/tt2544766/

I remember that in my history class my teacher tell us that the british pirates bombed my city (valparaiso) when we were colony of spain, and ironically a few years later they settled there and helped rebuild it. xD

The one on the far left is a topsail schooner rig, it was the most common type of vessel used by pirates. Very fast, able to cut into the wind better, and with a shallow draft; it makes for a perfect pirate ship.
(It was also the rig that discovered Antarctica as a confirmed continent as it was the only one able to maneuver among the icebergs)

The movie is called Admiral in English I think.

You have a great one too called Michiel De Ruijter. Was pretty amazed at what special effects it was able to pull together for a Dutch movie.

i know right, I drove past HMS victory the other day
>Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

imagining everywhere it's been and everything it's seen was cool

I just watched that on Netflix like a month ago, I liked it.
The schooner rig I posted about earlier is a Dutch invention and became the most popular coastal ships worldwide.

what it would have looked like in its day

Assume it's a historical reenactment and take pictures I guess.

dude weed lmaooooooooo

One of the few truly great naval films.

In my opinion it's the 2nd greatest ship still in existence, seeing it is at the top of my sightseeing bucket list.

resist for the memes and then gang up on 'murrica

>beating 3 countries off
bender

Balls didn't touch.

Nice buttocks.

They should have made a series of it, the whole backstory felt rushed and the acting was cringy. It would have been better with a slower storyline and actual character building. It had some amazing special effects though

Welcome them of course, Brits fighting the war of 1812 should be made to feel at home

youtube.com/watch?v=XvoIR78qWmc

Oh wow I'm a dumbshit, I saw the translated title on my screen and assumed it was a different movie

The nautical museum always has a ship ready, just in case some British tourists need to be defeated.

It was an American film and it didn't make much of its money back regardless of the change. Let's just be thankful that for an American film, the British are centre stage and the good guys, while the French are seen as somewhat inept.

reminds me of pirates of the caribbean

I'm thinking of getting the whole collection. Everyone says it's a worthy reading.
Noice. Will definitely look into that.
Fucking L'Acheron, man.

yea defo I just drove past it didn't visit it
what's first btw

This. Should have kept it as an American frigate.

Although our navy was too small to make a practical difference, it's nice that the navy had the foresight to create large frigates with heavy armaments. Most thought that the 44-rated frigates we're essentially closer to a 74-gun warship..

>Joshua Humphreys' design was unusual for the time, being long on keel and narrow of beam (width) and mounting very heavy guns. The design called for a diagonal scantling (rib) scheme intended to restrict hogging while giving the ships extremely heavy planking. This design gave the hull a greater strength than a more lightly built frigate. Humphreys' design was based on his realization that the fledgling United States of the period could not match the European states in the size of their navies. This being so, the frigates were designed to overpower any other frigate yet escape from a ship of the line.[14][15][16]

SURRENDER
PLEASE GOD LET US SERVE THE CROWN

The USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is 1st. The Victory would be 1st but you fuckers landlocked it in concrete whereas the Constitution still sails and is an actively commissioned US Naval vessel with USN crew and everything.

kek, yea it's been moved to a dry port. it's still in commision though
>She has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012 and is the world's oldest naval ship still in commission.

Mighty fine ship

Hop aboard probably. Would love to set sail on the Royal Navy

They were amazing, but the government never built most of the ones that were contracted and after several impressive runs the Constitution and entire USN spent the war stuck in port behind a Brit blockade (US privateers still had an impressive run throughout the war though)
American ships and sailors were god tier, they shocked the Brits gun for gun, they took the Royal yacht's squadron race and were so good at it that it was forever renamed America's Cup, then proceeded to win it for 126 years straight, the longest winning streak of any sport, they made naval maps in 1840 that were still in use by the allies in WWII, discovered Antarctica, wrote the GOAT maritime novel Moby Dick, won WWI through naval convoy (that's according to Britain's Lord Admiral Jellicoe 1st Sea Lord) and invented the clipper ships, the best and fastest tall ships of all time.
New England yankee sailors really are unmatched.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Igooxb4D1c

>First Sea Lord
high-fantasy-as-fuck title

The collection is worth getting into, just make sure you have time, patience, and a dictionary. O'Brian is extremely technical, even after a life at sea he sent me looking for a dictionary at times with nautical terms, it's also historically accurate in that a ship could go years at sea without seeing any real action and you can go a couple novels in the series without anything more than inane dialogue.

youtube.com/watch?v=SpHCfndib0Q

>the Constitution still sails and is an actively commissioned US Naval vessel with USN crew and everything.
That's freaking amazing, I didn't know that. How amazing a job would that be to sail on a historic frigate?

That entire wardroom scene is one of my all time favourites in cinema

It is cool as fuck, the US Coast Guard (the USCG is a branch of the military with a fleet and budget bigger than many navies) also has commisdioned the Barque Eagle, it is used to train academy midshipmen cadets who spend their 2nd and 4th years aboard her. Taken after WWII she was a German training vessel that was also used occasionally as Hitler's private yacht.

Start singing.

youtube.com/watch?v=wY1fUAPYH3M

That and Farewell & Adieu are my favourite sea shanties.

Beat to windward to gain the weather gauge, clip their sails with the 18s on the bow, give them a broadside and then swing around to rake their stern, turn and run up alongside them again (chances are they've lost at least one mast) and ready a boarding party.

Call him.

Black Sails isn't too bad, and they got based Ray Stevenson to play Blackbeard.

Throw the largest stick i can find

Who wrote this? It makes no tactical sense, if you fall off the wind at their stern (meaning you were both coming bow on to start with) and run up the other side you will lose the weather guage and the advantage.

Tell them the Falklands are thorugh the south.

tremendous post

Yes, tell them.

It would be cool as fuck to learn to sail one of those things.

Argentina probably doesn't have the capability to do this anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=87qVeARSrIo

I didn't know most of that. Thanks for the interesting facts user

You're welcome