/lang/ - Language learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UIA8Fczdptm1RA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it worth it to take a language proficiency test so you can get the paper saying so or noth?

Are Brazilians learning about bananas?

Only if you require them legally to perform certain activities. For i.e. you need to take the russian proficiency test if you want to:
>B1—Apply to a university,
>B2—Carry professional activities in certain careers like engineering,
>C1—For areas such as Linguistics, Translation, Editing, Journalism, International Relations and Management.
>C2—To get a masters in philology.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

What's the difference between з and e?
And the difference between these two Й ы

>-З/з- is a consonant that can be transcribed into Z.
>-E/e- is soft indicating vowel that can transcribed into YE.
>Й is a consonant that is usually transcribed simply as Y.
>Ы is a unique sound of Russian, a semi-vowel that sounds like a guttural i. Type in YouTube "pronounce Ы" so you can see the intricacies of this sound.

For more technical information check out TOW (yes, it has articles about all Russian letters).

Кyaнтac кoпac тeнec?

languages are cool. i wish i lived somewhere where the dominant language isn't english. here in america it's difficult to find someone who isn't proficient in english, so anytime you want to practice an L2 people just speak english instead. i'm learning chinese right now but china is garbage and taiwan is meh so i dont intent on ever moving there although the language is really fun. sometimes i have doubts because i went to japan and it was great and i could live there for a year or two, but the language is completely useless outside japan. and i hardly ever, ever find native speakers nor do i like anime much. still i have doubts daily that i should be studying japanese instead because i like the culture and country and media more; but i can never find a use for it. like studying icelandic. : (

Any linguistbros here? :3

i know 3 langs and learning 1 but not a linguist

>The one skill that you'll never strengthen

Just accept you are a weeb. Embrace it!

also fear of labeled weaboo.. would rather learn korean because also cool and have 2 korean fluent friends

Are these sentences correct?

Magyarul tanulok.
A házam egy bank mellett van. Holnap a bankban megyek.
Jössz is?

I am learning Hungarian
My house is next to a bank
Tomorrow I am going to the bank
Are you also coming?

1st is ok
2nd is ok (If the emphasis is on your house, not on the bank. In that case: A bank mellett van a házam.)

3rd:,
You said
Tomorrow I'm in the bank going (somewhere?)

A bankba megyek holnap
or
Holnap elmegyek a bankba
(Again, if the emphasis is on the bank or tomorrow)
4th,

You said "Come too"

Jössz te is?
or
Te is jössz?
(Emphasis, again)

Why would you learn hungarian btw?

Not him but kurva ànyatok is one of the few language generals I haven't filtered. You guys seem so nonchalant, chill, pure (as in, I only ever see Hungarians in there), and your language looks cool.

>Pure (as in, I only ever see Hungarians in there)
Of course, migrants

Hê hê hê. Is there anyone here learn Vietnamese? I can help.

Thanks!

One of my friends is Hungarian, and is the only Hungarian in a 50 mile radius. He said he felt bad because he has no one to talk to in Hungarian. Sadfrog.Jpg I told him I'd learn Hungarian for him.

I do 20 cards a day Core, 10 cards a day RTK, but the RTK deck hasn't caught up with how far I am into the book (~600) so I need to add some more cards for the next few days I think.

Should be easy to dust off the rest of the Kanji by May or so.

I can't learn kanji through vocab, the stories work so much better and more easily for me. Memes be damned, I think RTK is a great book and I'm even considering buying the first volume because it has helped me so much and I like having paper copies. I don't think I will though because my notebook is quickly becoming a discount RTK of my own, with better stories for me.

I also do memrise and just started practicing on hellotalk.
I'm going to try to attend the japanese language club meetings at my school too. Talking with a native IRL is scary, but I can't imagine anything better for my vocal and aural skills.

>He said he felt bad because he has no one to talk to in Hungarian.
That's really sweet, user.

Fun fact: the letter Ы exists only in Russian, Belarussian and Mongolian.

I want to learn:
>Spanish
>"Serbo-Croatian"
>Japanese
>Arabic/Farsi
>Latin

I want to do it all at once. fuck me

Quotation marks?

I think he meant to say """Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian"""

exactly. Everyone gets assblasted when I say it one way or the other

Unaware mongoloids get assblasted. Any rational man, however underrepresented in this region, recognises the unity and compactness of our language. The Serbo-Croatian or Croatian-Serbian, as negotiated and agreed on the Vienna Literary Agreement in 1850.

When you need a model to learn several languages, approach it day by day. Learn the language you feel learning the most that day (or if you're "on a role" with one. Even if you have the motivation for another one every few days. Those few days of inspired, perhaps intensive learning is more profitable and worthwhile than what we call "focusing" on a single language for a month.
This is all a part of passive knowledge reception, which is an invaluable process.

Join our shitposting telegram group. I am there. I know what you're "going through" and I can help

is the Telegram group in the wiki?

thank you btw. in just a learning conundrum

t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UIA8Fczdptm1RA

Currently aren't learning anything.

I'd like to learn:
Russian
Japanese

Out of curiosity:
Old church slavonic
Classical latin
Proto Indo-european

weebs don't know japanese

learn one a year

what's the point of the Sup Forums board if you can't invade the generals of other countries

They're just bothersome, the relevant people can go to them if they want.

you can get the readers' attention by make informative posts about your culture.

or by getting dubs in succession (three times in a row)

for what purpose

I have a disposable phone number and a shitty phone without Maps and such, one email address with a three log in information to obscure websites, no social media accounts, no credit cards, only basic health insurance with minimum information, incorrect and imprecise residence information (the city's fault) and no photos of me on the internet, not even the former school yearbook

Not afraid of an application

A fucking austrokike ruins it every 2nd day, but thanks man

No prob, and yeah I've seen him before, he's weird. Has he always been in your guys' generals?

He used to live on v4, but recently he came to us, God knows why.
Sadly, he always gets his (You)s, and even some weebfag companion.

bump

Sprachbund

Es ist Zeit für Reich mein Bruder

What does Sup Forums think about the Critical Period Theory in regards to second language acquisition?

Get Marshmallow.

A way to trick grade school children into learning instead of playing

is there a site similar to duolingo where i can learn the basics of chinese?

There's a couple of apps that are basically duolingo clones.

chinese skill and hello chinese

this. there's never been any scientific proof iirc

Which one of you guys is this

It's a meme

this screenshot was spread through twitter and vk iirc

Esperanto, more like espershito am I right?

Does hellotalk use texts or wifi/IM?

coi lo pendo .i .e'o tavla mi

Saluton.

fucking SAVAGE m8

i'm doing the basic French course with Michel Thomas right now and holy fuck why is the female student so goddamn stupid.

otherwise this is way more helpful than I expected.

michel thomas methos is based. reallty intuitive, it help me a lot with russian, the prononciation

Is HelloTalk actually helpful? What's the best way get use out of it?

Anyone know a good way to learn Armenian? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot to find online and there are no classes in a 500km radius.

Oops nevermind I didn't properly check the drive link.

Also try Pimsleur, Memrise and you probably already know this, but don't ever stick to just one resource.Try to use all kinds of shit.