What's you favourite book series, and why?

What's you favourite book series, and why?

Also, somebody help me find a good fantasy book series that has shit like knights, wizards, and dragons — all that kind of shit.

Cirque Du Freak was the first book series I actually cared about, back in elementary.

Dude this series was great. I hate that they tried to make it a movie and fucked it up horribly. There's also a graphic novel adaptation out there. Personally I was a huge fan of the Percy Jackson series in elementary. I started reading them way before the hype.

Oh man I used to love Darren Shan. Perhaps we have similar reading habits.

Try the Kingkiller Chronicles and then the Farseer Chronicles. A couple of my favourite series and exactly up your street.

Holy fuck i forgot this book even existed. Wow. I dont really like reading but holy fuck i loved this series! I might see if i can get a copy for cheap somewhere.

Thanks for the nostalgia OP

lmao

The Demonata series by Darren Shan is also pretty good

I would call that a graphic novel. Sure a Jap drew it but is it really a manga?

Most of the fantasy stuff I read is one off novels, but these series come to mind. Check them out.

Dark tower series - Stephen King

Bas Lag books - China Mieville

A song of ice and fire series - George R R Martin

The Ketty Jay series - Chris Wooding

Terra incognita series - Kevin Anderson

If you're a young teen though, maybe check out:

Demonata series - Darren Shan (better than cirque du freak)

The edge chronicles - Paul stewart and Chris Riddel

This was great. Also started in demonata, but he fucked that up and mostly relied on the shock factor of gore.

I'd recommend the books by Robin Hobb. Start with the first trilogy, and then work through them chronologically. They all connect. Except the soldier's son trilogy, which is separate. Includes wizards and dragons, and is amazingly written.

the art style completely fits

good enough

*cough*Lord Of The Rings*cough*

The edge chronicles are godly. You have to be into oddball though. A+ illustrations. Not often you get a book that comes with illustrations that actually add value.

The LOTR books were pretty good, but I reckon they're mad overrated.

They sucked imo. Too boring. Fucking Tom Bombadil part is like the gobi desert of reading.

I liked the Belgariad by David Eddings way better.

I purposely avoided that movie. Didn't even watch the trailer. Should've done that with more books-turned-movies.

I like most of his stuff. Thin executioner was neat.
I had forgotten all about the Manga of cirque. Even though I read it first. Lol

I've really curious about this. What's it like/about?

King Leopolds Ghost

It explains how Europe fucked Africa so quickly and irrevocably.

Artemis Fowl (up until the time travel bs)

Deltora Quest (original and 3rd series were good, second series not so much)

Shannara Chronicles (has a decent tv series)

People have already said Demonata series which is good too, but god Shan just fucked up the endings to both his series.
>>Vampire series: Imma travel through time and write myself out of the story to become the narrator
>>Demonata: Everyone dies and Grubbs and co. Become God and remake the universe
After all the gore you'd think he could write some sad, depressing ending that actually fit the series.

Same, man. I only ever got four books in, but the third one with the Vampanese was probably the best fucking horror I've ever read. Stephen King can suck a dick.

just a great fantasy.

Its a huge series so expect occasional slow bits but definitely worth it.
Has some of the best characters ive ever read

my nigga

Sword of Truth: Wizards First Rule, its pretty much got everything, magic, sex, death, horror, dragons, swords. I've read both Sword of Truth series and Game of Thrones and much prefer Sword of Truth.

But for reals the Bas Lag series:

Perdido Street Station
The scar
Iron council

Best fantasy series ever written.

Never seen the show.

Well,they are young readers books. Try some of his earlier stuff meant for older readers. City of snakes is interesting.

Or go full depression and read the death of vishnu by manil suri.

I like the Belgariad a lot. I like the Mallorean too, shame the ending is kind of shit.

>Choose between good guy or bad guy
>Cyradis: OMG I can't choose! It's so hard!

deltora quest

are you guys like 12?

those are kids books

Have you read R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series and The Aspect-Emperor? Dark fantasy at its best. But be warned: you'll be dealing with some serious philosophical shit.

Darren Shan just tried to be clever with the endings. But clever endings are obviously not his strong suit.

>His Dark Materials Trilogy - Philip Pullman
(Don't EVER watch the film of the first one though)
>Millenium Trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc) - Stieg Larsson
>Robert Langdon Series (Da Vinci Code, etc) - Dan Brown

Also when I was a kid I adored the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore. I still have all of the books somewhere.

Pic somewhat related, I've just finished this and really enjoyed it, is his Nick Stone Series any good?

I also recommend the Dark Tower series, OP.

>(Don't EVER watch the film of the first one though)

Thanks for reminding me of the huge disappointment I felt upon seeing it.

How the fck no one has mentioned dragonlance or forgotten realms? Check'em asap! Hundreds of great fantasy books

this nigga gets it. good taste Sup Forumsrother.. also that other nigger who said Robin Hobb, you smart, you loyal. Anything by her is a good start but you should ideally go Assassin's trilogy > Tawny Man > Liveship Traders >Forest Mage, for full immersion.
personal recommendations that haven't been listed - Paul Collins' Dragonlinks series. Read it like four times through, loved it more than purple drank erry tiem.
also Helen Lowe's wall of night, or some shit. slips my mind right now.
Also all the Redwall books, I was into them when i was like 9 tho. plz no judge me, strangers on the internet

also George Green's Hound. Got given it when I was like 11 but damn isthat book good.. Irish legend of Cuchullain retold and all bloody and shit. check it out or you're a normie.
faggot.

Definitely redwall.

Anyone else enjoy my side of the Mountain? This got me started young on jack London and Gary Paulsen

This all the way.

Or David farlands the runelords?

Would this book series still be a nice read at age 25? I looked at it recently and thought it seemed interesting in a 'Harry Potter' sort of way but I don't know how childish they are to an adult.

This book series is so fucking based. It's damn long though, and the first book starts slowly, but then it just picks up speed and becomes amazing.