Human beings will be extinct in 200 years

Human beings will be extinct in 200 years.

Approximately 40% of all manmade CO2 is successfully absorbed by the environment. This means roughly 60% of manmade CO2 is not absorbed and thus increases atmospheric CO2.

We may therefore say we need to reduce global CO2 production by around 60% to reach a break even point - but this ignores the fact that absorption rises along with our production. Still, something around this number can be found in the scientific research.

"In order to stabilize CO2 concentrations at about 450 ppm by 2050, global emissions would have to decline by about 60%. Industrialized countries greenhouse gas emissions would have to decline by about 80%."
-Barack Obama's Presidential Climate Action Plan

80% - And all our proposed plans (if fully executed) would reduce emissions by less than 5%.

The United States accounts for about 17% of manmade CO2. Japan, 4%. Korea, 2%. European nations between 1 and 2 percent each.

China and the developing world account for over 47% of manmade CO2. So if you wiped out all of the US, all of Europe, Japan, and Korea, and then managed to reduce China by around 25%, you would be near the break even point for CO2 absorption.

Perhaps you start to see now what we are actually facing here. A 60% global reduction in CO2 cannot be accomplished without creating a worldwide economic depression which would no doubt kill millions of human beings. Good luck on reversing the industrial revolution and sending mankind back to the stone age. It will never happen in this world driven by profit.

Other urls found in this thread:

ipcc.ch/pdf/press/160811_ma_sr_15_scoping_B52.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If the global average temperature rises above 5 degrees (doesn't sound so bad right?) we will no longer be able to grow wheat in most parts of the world and up to 2-3 billion people could starve. Combine this with the fact overfishing has left our oceans with so few fish enough can't be caught to sustain a typical voyage across the sea (assuming they don't bring food).

When the global average temperature begins to rise above 6-7 degrees large pockets of methane currently trapped under the arctic and Siberia will begin escaping into the atmosphere. Methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas which will further escalate global warming trends and temperatures could rise dozens of degrees leaving the world largely uninhabitable and leading to the complete and permanent collapse of Human civilization.

If you're a climate "skeptic" I would like to highlight the fact you do not have a degree in Climatology and are not as qualified as those who study this topic for a living. These same people are saying we're fucked.

So laugh it up Sup Forums

Go ahead and make jokes.

In a fee hundred to few thousand(maybe hundred thousand who knows) well have a new ice age. So don't worry about the rising CO2. Put your gas mask on and wait it out.

The earth is an ecosystem. It's had worse shit than us.

The Earth could very well resemble Venus in a few hundred thousand years if current trends continue.

I do care about green stuff but nobody else does

I also don't care because I'm not having kids and I'm not living 100+ years

Why not just kill yourself now instead of shilling this bullshit, kike

>ignoring climate action
>ignoring off world colonization.

Shit will get rocky for us in 100 years no matter what we due because the oil companies keep paying people off to ignore climate change but we won't go extinct.

>falling for oil company shilling
>calls someone else a shill

Oh the irony, that's why oil companies are always being investigated with fraud relating to paying off people to fabricate data against climate change but you never see fraud cases against climate scientists.

Venus rhymes with Penis

Plant more trees...fuck off.

>C02 will kill us and the planet
Uh huh, sure it will.

I've seen this before. Totally misinterpreted that data.

And i'll be dead well before this "200 year deadline" ever comes around.

Why are we so concerned about the future that we will never see?

Well, I'm concerned because I'm not a selfish cunt.

by all means explain faggo

We would need to plant more than 3 trillion trees just to break even c02 wise, not counting methane. It would take too long.

Feel free to read if you care to educate yourself.

ipcc.ch/pdf/press/160811_ma_sr_15_scoping_B52.pdf

the earth literally survived its entire atmosphere catch fire, and CO2 levels are recovering from the lowest levels in the earths history. 2000 ppm used to be common, at the same time earth had the highest amount of biodiversity and plant life. 2000 ppm CO2 is also the most efficient level for most pants to grow though heat can hinder that, but these higher temps where seen when the earth had these levels of CO2. we might struggle as a species but the earth will continue to have life and we may be helping it by releasing long lost stores of CO2.

this doesn't explain anything faggot
it just explains an event wik be held

neck yourself or come back with an argument

> gas mask
CO2 can't be filtered out by a gas mask idiot

Also we currently are still in an ice age and current trends suggest we won't ever re enter an ice age

Last time we didn't have ice caps the partial pressure of co2 was actually lower than today (total pressure was much higher which is why we had the heat)

2000 ppm would cause mass extinction idiot

Not even talking about the heat that would come from 2000 ppm, I'm talking about metabolism of carbonic acids

Most smaller mammals don't have the kidney power to reduce blood acidity that would come from constant 2000 ppm atmospheric

We could provide China and Russia with better filtering technologies and reactors for free under the condition that they'll replace their old powerplants.
> inb4 help my enemy?! Are you crazy?!

then =/= now
what has once lived has since ceased, what draws breathe today likely will not forever