Mental Health Thread

>Mental Health Thread
Okay guys I need advice
My girlfriend seems to be developing some kind of schizophrenia. These past two days, I've experienced several moments with here where she immediate drops everything and just starts looking around. Sometimes she'll stare at me like she's never seen me before. Or she'll start asking me questions like how did we get here?

She's been coping with PTSD over this last year and I think it's beginning to turn into something else.
What the fuck do I do Sup Forums?

I'm a romantic man, But I say you have 2 options (I';ve experienced the same damn thing)

1. You stay with her, accept all of the damage she has and try to love her, but it won't be easy, my ex had it and her mother and her father basically looked after a drugged up woman who barely spoke....

2. You cut ties, It sounds harsh but it's best for you, Your happiness is more important than trying to make her happy. You have to do what's right for you.

I hope you make the right choice user, If you're young then I definitely recommend 2 within a heartbeat.

Make an appointment with her doctor, drive her to the hospital, and get a proper diagnosis. Asking Sup Forums won't help shit.

Maybe she means it metaphorically. Like "how did we get here" like....trying to start a conversation...
looking at you like you are a stranger because she is unsure of the relationship.
I would argue and be like "wtf do you mean how did we get here are you unhappy?"

Fortunately we're really close. I am fully committed to the idea of 1 and I've suffered a lot psychologically so I'm mentally prepared for what's to come.
I have no issues with loving her or remaining close to her. In fact knowing that I might be the only person in the world that she feels comfortable with makes me really happy.

I'm by no means not considering the second option. I have every intention to stay as long as I can help her. If I become a problem in her life or she conflicts so much with mine than I'll do that. But I think I'm pretty far from having to make a decision like that yet.

I'm asking Sup Forums for advice, not how to proceed or for a diagnosis.
She doesn't have a family doctor. In fact she probably hasn't seen a doctor in years. She comes from a Catholic family. And they think they're more prepared to deal with problems than someone who's training 15 years of their life just in a single field...
They also have no idea what's going on

Both my gf and I have autism. She's a bit more severe than me, but on top of that I have epilepsy.

It's tough. But I calm her down during her mental breakdowns, and she helps me during seizures. I don't know what your mental state is, but having some sort of commoun ground like we do makes it a lot more manageable.

What you wrote is a single option with two steps

Breakup is inevitable

YOU don't do ANYTHING but get her to a medical professional.

That's it. That's all.

This is way beyond anything you can fix, you're out of your depth, doing anything but getting her professional help will likely only make things worse.

You have been warned.

user, I believe you but trust me it takes somebody of VERY sound mind and strong will and strong love all together to be able to handle what you could go through.

I hope you honestly have all that..

Good luck to you anyway.

haha no you misunderstand me
Imagine watching someone become startled, looking around like they're lost, then looking back at you and jumping. Even though you've been with them in the same place for more than an hour. And then they look down as if to concentrate and ask you, "how did I get here?"

if ur looking for an excuse to leave her then u dont love her

its not wrong but just dont be a pussy. love her and help her and communicate everything with her or just leave bcoz u fkin hate metal retards or do something in the middle and be forever in debt to your own conscious

it sounds like early-onset dementia.

which is tragic.

see a doctor IMMEDIATELY.

that is not schizophrenia.

Kind of..

Ex's Dad put up with it up until the day she died, But he just became... A caretaker, It was awful to see and it was more heartwrenching when we found out about her schizophrenia AFTER she had passed away...

The widowed dad was so upset... He was such a good man too, Did everything for his family (Still does)

Too bad his daughter was a bitch. Asshole made me suicidal and fucked me up psychologically.

oh FuCK i just realized im wrong

leaving her doesnt mean u dont love her. you can still love her. u ust need to do whats best for you.

sry i got it wrong the first time vbro

still dont be a pussy

I came into the relationship knowing full well she was fucked up and I've worked with her to overcome many of her fears and problems that no one else could.
I love her unconditionally and she trusts me more than anyone. My mental state is extremely sound and I come from a very complicated background so this isn't exactly foreign territory or a problem at all.

Your comment seems very patronizing but I appreciate your sentiment. I understand full well that this is the case and that has been my intention since the beginning of our relationship. But at the very least I assure you I am far from making anything worse.

this

Or she is 420 blazing cocaine up her nose and hasn't told OP about the drug use.

I'M AUTISTIC TOO AND MY GF IS WAY OFF THE SPECTRUM IT IS HARD TO COPE AND SUPPORT HER SOMETIMES WHEN I APPEAR TO BE MISBEHAVING IT'S HARD FOR HER TO COPE WITH ME TOO SO WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUTURE WILL BRING BUT I'M GLAD WE'RE AUTISTIC BECAUSE BEING A NORMIE WITH A LOW IQ AND NO CREATIVITY WOULD BE UNBEARABLE AS I HATE STUPID PEOPLE

Is her PTSD actually diagnosed or is it a self declaration?

You don't develop schizophrenia just overnight. If you're a smart man who really believes she does have something though, just bring her to a therapist and ask for their opinion.Don't try to self-diagnose her through your own opinion and don't try to help her with your limited internet knowledge of mental illnesses.

hey stupid, this is a medical diagnosis thread. not a relationship advice column.
you're lucky this isn't IRL.

Thank you, Sup Forumsro

I'm definitely not looking for an excuse to leave her I would never consider that except for our own well being, I love her unconditionally.
>also not a pussy

I am extremely concerned that that is the case. And I am very concerned about how time sensitive this is.

She will require a guardian's consent on all medical proceedings for another month and I'm concerned about waiting. She wants to but this seems now far too important.

>Immediately blames religion for lack of medical care.

You people don't ever fucking stop do you? Always painting religion as the bad guy. The only idiots who think that only prayer is the way to heal someone are inbred fuckers who don't understand that god doesn't hand everything to people.

idk seems like OP wants relationship advice

Look OP
This

If you refuse to listen to that then you're looking for an easy solution. Do you want to try CBT yourself? Do you think you're a trained professional? If she's "coping with PTSD" and/or manifesting schizophrenia, she needs to see a doctor or in the very least a therapist. If she's an adult, which if you are and she's not then MODS and if you both aren't then underaged b&, then she is capable of making a decision that her family doesn't agree with. Take her to MHMR if she doesn't want/doesn't have insurance, or a similar organization. Other than that, convince her to talk to her family. There's literally nothing else -you- can do.

If it's something you're willing to commit to, and if she's willing to commit to treatment, it won't be too bad.

My friend has schizophrenia, and he has like 3 medications he has to take. He only takes one of them regularly, and it doesn't quite do the job. If she smokes weed, that could exacerbate any psychosis she may be experiencing. How much have you two looked into her condition?

well she needs to be in the ER today.

she may have had a stroke. or an aneurysm.

this is a medical emergency. call 911 now, and you get her to the hospital. NOW.

CBT? Cock and Ball Torture? Wtf are you even talking about.

Nothing is diagnosed but I can see the flashbacks all over her face when we're out. I spend every night with her on the phone when we can't be together because she will have nightmares or reoccurring thoughts of the event when she's alone. I could go on about it but it would be the most productive for you to trust me on it. It's also not my first involvement being around someone with it. I have quite a few military friends. But I am by no means declaring I understand it, just that I am recognizing it.

That's not my intention, I want to bring her to a medical professional but our resources are limited and I just have no idea how to proceed in that regard.

Don't be so harsh man, he's just trying to help

you're literally killing her by not taking her to the dr.

regardless, post her nudes. i'd like to see her bosoms, buttocks, vagine and butt hole.

This.... For some reason I get the fucked up vibe that you want to play psychologist or just kind of dumb... Why ask Sup Forums for common knowledge.

maybe she's on drugs

dontgiveafuckjustgetthefuckoutoftherelationship
sheispermentlyfuckedupandwilltakeyoudownwithher
orkillyourselfbecauesthatwouldbeasneakyending

Awesome, I'm glad you've gotten to a place where you can function.

What happened to her to cause the ptsd?

... I am also Catholic but I am not ignorant to the fact that many of us turn to our religion to explain things they don't understand. Just the other night she had a full blown panic attack and her mother held her down because she thought she was "possessed."
So why don't you take your self righteous bullshit and shove it up your ass.

uh no not necessarily
I suppose I am asking about how to proceed getting medical attention for someone who requires a guardian's consent without the guardian and what course of action I should take immediately.

I don't think a few of you are reading the thread. I never said I wanted to deal with this, we need a medical professional's help.

Like I said already, she doesn't have a doctor. Now her family will refuse to get her medical attention. This is a reoccurring problem in her life. I am by no means supporting their beliefs in that regard, in fact I want her to get medical attention.

So again
>no family doctor
>no medical financing
>requires guardian's consent for medical proceedings
>will not receive it

We haven't looked into it nearly enough, but we've come to an agreement to seek medical attention long ago. Like I said earlier, she's been waiting to be relieved of requiring guardian consent for her medical proceedings because she won't get it. I am asking for advice because all of a sudden she seems to be exhibiting 'dementia' symptoms apparently. And I am concerned waiting can no longer be in the cards.

She's having period headaches and keeps telling me she's scared and doesn't know why.
I guarantee she doesn't have the money for an ambulance or a trip to the ER. As much as I wish we could, that's not on the table.

Honestly, I am pretty concerned about that. Whether or not the fact that she hasn't sought medical help up to this point may have a now ever present consequence.
Also I don't know what I expected

I know not a single one of you is doctor. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just advice. The reality is this is a public board, often transversed with the mentally ill. I'm looking for advice from someone whom has dealt with something similar in how I should proceed. If firmly believe I am wasting my time I understand that but do re-evaluate the amount of people who have chimed in on this thread expressing their own mental illness or someone who's gone through something similar.

No she's not on drugs, but thank you

she was raped, the whole held down, close stripped off, arms tied, choked, the nine
It was the first time she ever orgasmed so when I make her cum, sometimes when she's not entirely comfortable she'll have a flashback and start having a panic attack.

it doesnt sound lie schizo

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Trust me, I'm in AP Psych.

that's sound like a extreme psychoses you need to visit a real doctor not just a young blood or someone incompetent the best is a professor for psychology focus mental disorders then she might get sent to a psychiatric but its the best for her

I suppose I should explain as well that most of the moments in which she begins to become 'alert' she might begin running or walking backwards.

Earlier today I walked her to her house and when we got to her gate she looked at me like she never saw me before. Then started to back away from me. I stepped back and she hugged the gate to open it quickly. She looked back at me as if to watch that I didn't come at her. And then she smiled at me out of the blue and said "hey what's wrong?"

Yesterday we were having sex in my car. I brought her to orgasm and she had a total flashback of her rape. She put her clothes on and ran out of my car and across the closest street. I went after her and when she saw me she asked if he was still chasing us.

We have limited resources and I don't know how to proceed in that regard

My father had schizophrenia.
That wold happen to me?

this

also this

just find someone in your near, and ask them very polite, just once to take a look at her, if he isn't an asshole he will the time

you have to get her some qualified help. she needs to see a mental health pro.
the real thing is to let them all know that you're with her all the way, and that you will be involved in whatever happens.

she needs (in order)
a diagnosis
a treatment
support

otherwise you may as well leave her, if you value your own mental stability.

This is now, maybe the 4th time I have exclaimed the problem with this
please read the thread I can't explain every time someone new comes in and doesn't understand what I've already said

I think it only makes you susceptible, not at risk, you'll be fine bro

like go to a psych and ask for a free consultation?

my mental stability is extremely grounded and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. I am and have been her rock since the beginning of our relationship but this is beyond me now.

How can I get her medical help without guardian consent or medical financing?

As someone who developed Schizo-effective disorder in the past 2 years, I can say it is very hard to cope with on both sides. The girlfriend I have now knew damn well what she was getting herself into when we started dating but even through it she still decided to fall in love with me. If you truly love her OP, you'll stick by her and help her find the right help. She needs to want it first though.

yes

Sometimes im lost remembring things and speaking to myself, like im ``talking´´with the person im having a conversation.
This happen to me a lot when i had a bad nitgh sleep.

She is afraid of getting help but she understands she nor I can deal with this. We're going to get help but don't know how. I love her unconditionally and I plan on sticking through this. I am pretty much head over heels for this girl and same of her with me. Our entire relationship besides her own mental health issues has been rainbows and butterflies. It's been the closest and most intimate relationship either of us have ever had.

Ask if she has been taking drugs (or try to investigate some other way).
Schizophrenia usually develops slowly, but it is known to pop up in people in their early 20s... women i think a little later on average.

At the same time, if she has been 100% normal (aside from maybe ptsd symptoms) then suddenly she is staring into space or forgetting things, she could have had a stroke or is having mini-seizures. She needs to get it checked out or it could cause severe brain damage.

Tell me. What all are her symptoms?

This.

in regards to which, the ptsd or the dementia?

Dementia/Schizo/whatever it may be.

These spacing outs are semi normal in comparison to her ptsd symptoms. The only thing that seems to be different is how she seems to be unaware of her surroundings. It started since the last time we had sex. Since then it's been at least 40-50 times within the last two days in which she's checking out mentally and the version of her I am finding myself talking to me has no idea of what's going on.

You have misdiagnosed your girlfriend

Give her meth.

You don't know what schizophrenia is

I don't think you know what the word literally means

i have seasonal depression and anxiety
my ex was diagnosed with depression but it was later revealed that she has adhd
good times
i still miss her
god i'm so fucking stupid

Okay so first off when we have sex and she has an orgasm she might flip out and begin to see me as the guy that raped her. She'll struggle for a few minutes trying to piece everything together, in which case she might pass out or check out mentally.
Now recently she has had several moments in which she's doing one thing and all of a sudden some random outside stimulus has caught her attention. I'll ask her what's going on and she'll never respond. After the fact I'll ask her what just happened and she'll tell me what happened before she became alert as if she was never conscious for it. Most of the time I am explaining to her what just transpired and she'll be struggling to piece together the fact that I am telling her something just happened that she doesn't remember. In many cases she'll see something that isn't there. Yesterday there was a moment in which she started running from a bush and I had to grab her and tell her everything was okay. She came to after I made eye contact with here and she flipped to all of a sudden being really happy. As if she never flipped out. A few of the times she looks at me as if she's never seen me before or as if I am dangerous and she'll start backing away from me. Most of the times in which she's not scared of me making eye contact or smiling will bring her straight back.

Remember, Schizophrenia is a philological problem just like any other. It's basically short circuiting.. like a glitch in a program.

On the other hand, seizures are feedback loops, memory leaks, or pathway dead ends and are more attune to a program crashing (brain.exe has stopped working).

She might have epilepsy.. extreme stress can cause seizures in people with epilepsy. Epilepsy is basically where your brain is prone to crashing either in response to high localized activity (like flashing lights or stress) or just on it's own.
Repeated epileptic seizures can be destructive to the brain, she needs to get that checked out asap.

That's not schizo so you can rule that out. It feels like it may be her PTSD getting worse.

I need to go meet her. I'll remake this thread in maybe 2 hours. If you post or respond to something I've said I'll read it but I won't have the opportunity to respond back.

I am guessing she is an epileptic.
Sex and/or stressors based on the PTSD cause part of her brain to crash, leaving only the trauma centers and reaction to the rape.

If all her episodes are triggered by sexual activity or things that remind her of the rape, she might just have an extremely severe case of PTSD, where instead of having a seizure (a program crash) her trauma memory module of her limbic brain is shutting down all others in a sympathetic nervous response.

Either way, it is destructive to her life and she needs to see a PSYCHIATRIST .. not psychologist.. not therapist or counselor.. she is dealing with a medical problem either way.

Schizophrenia statistics:

Men = develop this group of illnesses at early 20's to late 20's
Women = late 20's to early 30's

Equal chance of development in men and women, regardless of culture.
You have a 10-17ish% chance of becoming schizophrenic if you have a direct sibling/parent who is schizo, 46ish% if both your parents are schizo.
If you happen to be a twin, 23% if your DZ twin is schizo, 48% if your MZ twin is schizo.

There almost always needs to be a genetic predisposition for developing schizophrenia, but the Diathesis Stress Model indicates that an environmental stressor (ie: a traumatic experience) can trigger it to develop in later life. So perhaps PTSD getting worse may be triggering a genetic predisposition of some sort, for schizophrenia, or another type of mental illness with symptoms that include losing touch with reality.

Schizophrenia is a group of illnesses that involve the sufferer losing touch with reality. There are a bunch of different classifications, the more common one's being undifferentiated, residual, paranoid, and hebephrenic.

There are positive and negative symptoms regarding schizophrenia.
Positive symptoms include hallucinations, delusions and disorganised behaviour.
Negative symptoms include alogia, avolition and flat effect.

Don't know if this shit will help you or not. But the more you know

Exactly.
It's def not schizophrenia. What he is describing is more attune to losing touch of sensory, time, and mind.. not 'what is real and what is imaginary." also.. do not confuse seizure-like symptoms with flat effect. Flat effect is just your emotional response and non-verbal cues become neutral.. not losing awareness of time, space, and surroundings.

>Shizophrenic episode:
Guy walking down street.. he sees someone he sees every day following him he looks closer and sees the man's eyes glow red and his head starts to hurt.. he flips shit and starts running. That guy prob has schizophrenia

>Seizure/stroke/mental shutdown
Guy walking down street.... he keeps walking.. and walking.. and walking. eventually he is across town and has no idea where he is.

OP, was your GF abused by family or otherwise?

If she was, that usually manifests itself as extreme paranoia (dropping everything and looking around), just plain reliving it (having the "thousand yard stare"), or memory lapses.

Everyone is different, especially in regards to PTSD, but sounds like symptoms I've had (also abuse victim) where whatever the traumatic experience was simply comes back to haunt her.

I've dated a girl who was completely psycho, which made me realize I wasn't exactly right in the head either for not immediately recognizing it. So as this user () says, deal with the fact that you'll have to help her cope at the most unpredictable times, or show her the door (preferably to a therapist/doctor's door).

Good luck Sup Forumsro, PTSD fucks with someone a little more than you think, which again is dependent on the circumstances. However, as a PTSD former-Catholic who dated a PTSD Catholic, I might argue at PTSD and Catholicism have a lot to do with one another.... namely the lack of treatment.

>namely the lack of treatment.

see if you can pick up some Ketamine up off the street. It's being pushed to the FDA to pass as a medicine because they found a single does can have a huge affect on depression, OCD, and PTSD. Just make sure it's pure and not laced with LSD or MDMA.

As a chemist, why buy off the street when I can synthesize it?

I also hope to research ketamine, THC, and other drugs for potential therapeutic use. I'll figure it out eventually Sup Forumsros