/sino/ - China thread 中文

孔子 edition

The thread for posting in Chinese and discussion about the Chinese speaking world

>Resources for Learning Mandarin:
learnnc.org/lp/pages/6427
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/pronunciation/
resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
gloss.dliflc.edu
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/zhongwen-chinese-english/kkmlkkjojmombglmlpbpapmhcaljjkde

>Resources for learning Cantonese:
guidetocantonese.wordpress.com/start/
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cantonese-popup-dictionar/pjnbhojkojmibobcpfgihhnohboldhip

>Smartphone dictionary (supports both Mandarin and Cantonese):
pleco.com/

aforementioned resource credit goes to 一路順風

>set strokes straight
yes-chinese.com/tzg/

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.jp/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/in-theory/wp/2016/02/29/the-car-century-was-a-mistake-its-time-to-move-on/?client=safari
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

大学之道,在明明德,在亲民,在止于至善。
知止而后有定,定而后能静,静而后能安,安而后能虑,虑而后能得。物有本末,事有终始,知所先后,则近道矣。

Post pictures of china

我看不懂

Does anyone know how to open Yin-Yang Eyes (陰陽眼) so that I can see gods and ghosts?

It was pretty hard to find a nice picture that I hadn't yet posted on Facebook.

My supervisor allowed me the first few days off to get over my jetlag. I used them to visit as many interesting places as possible, because seeing the sun is important when recovering from a jetlag.

On one of the first things I did was fetch a bicycle. Dutchmen can feel quite a bit lost without one, it feels really strange to not be able to bike anywhere. You can literally access any place in the Netherlands by bike within a day, so I really had to buy one.

Bikes are very popular in Kyoto, because the city doesn't have quite as advanced an underground railway as most cities, and the buses are a bit old and slow.
They didn't quite have my size though. The bicycles that sell in Japan as regular bicycles would sell as kid size in the Netherlands, so I bought a small one.

On the next day, I biked to 南禅寺, and walked along 哲学の道 to 銀閣寺 where I think I remember taking this picture

You should try this

Advantages of learning cantonese over mandarin?

>Advantage of learning a dialect over a standard language
Try evaluating your question based on this

It' s like learning Schweizerdeutsch instead of Hochdeutsch

Mainlanders are niggers.

Taiwanese speak Mandarin too

>Kanton is not the mainland

?

Thanks for clarifying. I have zero knowledge of both, so I'm asking which one should I study

Racist

I remenber reading here that are some differences

no pollution

and pollution

>?
[post intentionally left blank to signify that there are no advantages to learn Cantonese over Mandarin]

>I remenber reading here that are some differences
Many of them also speak Hokkien, which is another dialect, but if you want to go to Taiwan you should learn Mandarin.

kot

ChYna

1 the dao (reason, explaination) of da xue, great learning (not university per se)
2 at understanding (literally to be enlightened) the bright de (nature)
3 at loving the people
4 at aiming at absolute perfection

5 when you know when to stop you have stability
6 when you have stability you have traquility
7 when you have tranquility you have ease
8 when you have ease you can deliberate
9 when you can deliberate you can attain aim

10 things have roots and branches, affairs have end and beginning, when you know what comes before and after you are closer to the way

Looks like my city

>peace is a lie, there is only passion
>through passion I gain strength
>through strength I gain power
>through power I gain victory
>through victory my chains are broken

大学 is older than the sith code

The sith code was written down about 6900 years before the Battle of Yavin, I wouldn't be so sure about that

Why do Chinky girls go hiking in heels

it was created by writers working with the back story of the film created by gl

To hike with glamour and style

So I can understand most normal speech but every so often when watching tv or something someone just seems to make up a chengyu or 对联 out of thin air that isn't in any dictionary and it makes no sense
how do i git gud so i can understand what they are saying

Why do chinky people eat with chopsticks of all imaginable eating utensils?
It's because only noobs play life on easy mode.

you must know a lot of historic drama
that's how they get their passion for making them up too

most though are just variations of folk wisdom

Anyone here own any Chinese company products? I'm thinking about making my next phone xiaomi or zte?

Everything is made in China.
I don't know what you are scared of?

I have a large pot of original chinese 香片 tea that hasn't failed me once

Xiaomi or huawei

Classic of Poetry is pretty good.
I will have to get my hands on a bilingual english-chinese one for sure.

Different views on QC between Chinese makers and those who only use the Chinese workforce to assemble their products probably
Just because iPhones and whatever high end smartphones are assembled in China doesn't mean all phones from China hold up to those standards

I have a OnePlus 2 and a few Xiaomi powerbanks

The factory is owned by a Chinese company

As I said Xiaomi and Huawei make good electronics.

I'm just trying to say that China isn't the same plastic melding backwards quantity over quality producer that it was in the 70s-80s-90s.
It now has an enough experience and a well enough educated workforce to produce on it's own.

鸿雁于飞、肃肃其羽。
之子于征、劬劳于野。
爰及矜人、哀此鳏寡。
鸿雁于飞、集于中泽。
之子于垣、百堵皆作。
虽则劬劳、其究安宅。
鸿雁于飞、哀鸣嗷嗷。
维此哲人、谓我劬劳。
维彼愚人、谓我宣骄。

I personally can't wait for the epic future when Donald Trump brings manufacturing back to the United States and we get a Chinese owner company manufacturing iPhones in America to import to China

Nice meme.

Funny thing is, many of them are already 'exported' to China.
When one of us is stupid enough to buy an iPhone, we pay for a Chinese kid to put it together, for a shipping company to bring it to our continent, and we pay for the brand, design, and commercials.
When a Chinese person buys an iPhone, they basically send a bunch of money to the US not even for producing or shipping it, but just for providing the brand, design, and making the product popular through commercials.

REALLY made me think

Sounds relaxing. I didn't know the Netherlands is that small.

Only if you're planning to move to Hong Kong or like HK entertainment.

Dutch people have the same thing, they do not underdtand how big the US are and cannot fathom why you are so obsessed with cars and have little bikes and public transport.

It's probably the same exchange student from HK I was replying to
It also helps that our country is really flat, and therefore easily traversable by bike.

>tfw I don't even know how to bike
I think I will never visit the Netherlands...

Thanks, we have too many tourists who don't know how to bike yet try to do it anyway, being a severe traffic hindrance in the process.

I see many Chinese students here but they never have a boyfriend
Why don't they want boyfriends? I need a rich Chinese gf

it is not possible all female chinese university students have bfs

it is the male who very often do not

Well they often don't because most Chinese males aren't homosexual.

have gfs*

Rich is enough for me dbh

I don't need a rich Chinese GF.
I need one with QT toes.

lol yeah I don't understand the obsession with cars either. I wish there were more underground train systems in the US.

I don't care about feet, they could even be binded and I would still not care.

binded feet was feet fetism

More like ones with QT legs.

There's a permanent Sup Forums thread for this if you want more info

One last memory before dinner (Chinese eat dog)

>that feel when lack the discipline to learn Chinese

Don't worry homie they're going to start making a bunch of anime-style mobile games packed with moe to hook lazy weebs into learning the language

>explaining the joke in the same post

cantonese is not a dialect retard

Freakin dictionaries man

I push my fingers into my EYEEEEESSSS

Why don't you grow a nutsac? My parents are German and my girlfriend and my brudi's gf are both adopted Chinese.

would you rather lick her feet or save the dog

Oh no, it's die deatscher füss feige

eat the dog

Duh

dialect of mandarin is still mandarin

Should I take a calligraphy class or is it a joke? confucius institute thing, has anyone tried?

Liberal arts is a joke man. Do STEM.

calligraphy is no joke
but what do you expect to get from it
you won't be a millionaire obviously

I'm doing computer engineering, it's just a 1 month class on wednesday nights I can take for 30$

The description tells me "Students are expected to acquire an understanding of aesthetics of Chinese calligraphy and insight into Chinse culture too." so it makes interested

*1 semester
not 1 month, closer to 4

that's what calligraphy is about, aesthetics
they won't teach you the more varied styles but they will make your characters look nicer at minimum

okay I signed up, at worst I'll probably meet some more learners I guess

not sure if you need your own materials though

brush paper ink stuff of that nature

Yeah calligraphy is actually not easy
You might gain an appreciation for the art
And depending on the environment you might even feel a connection to the ancient Chinese

The car culture is a result of Americans being spread out across the country and the whole idea of the American dream during the 50s. The interstate highway system was a major factor that resulted in many people moving out of cities into suburbs and consequently purchasing cars. Even in major cities like NY, while there is adequate public transportation, it doesn't really compare to other countries' public transportation because Americans who live in suburbs don't really support public transportation since it won't really benefit them, so as a result public transit organizations are underfunded and inefficient.

Car culture and suburbanization has been increasingly criticized by urban planners and younger Americans in recent years because it has caused major damage to formerly prosperous city centers due to people moving out of cities.

google.co.jp/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/in-theory/wp/2016/02/29/the-car-century-was-a-mistake-its-time-to-move-on/?client=safari

wow i sure love memorizing literally thousands of boring idioms
chinese culture sure is cool ;)

of course
chinese is not like the west it doesn't rely on material to propagate it is all about the literature, literal or figurative
if you don't like idioms you don't like china

light sensitive diode?

I have enough Chung Hwa pencils to last a life time.

Calligraphy seems like a thing you need a teacher and equipment for.
t.user who was dumb enough to try it alone

>m-muh language
>h-hong kong is different I s-swear

Nice figures

No one is going to dox you my lad.

Did you use the Randen tramline in Kyoto? I thought it was super comfy (t. /n/) and was able to shoot a video from the front window. Visited the city for I think 3 days in August.

Who are you to judge?
It's a really sensitive subject which requires quite a lot of experience and knowledge.
Do you have that?

Is that even a question

>sensitive
HK are chinks what's there to judge
They were cucked by Brits for a while and that's that now they think they have some special snowflake status that somehow makes them different from chinks 20km across the border

>5 hour bus trip to Kaohsiung to visit gf's parents
>when you can only speak beginner Mandarin
>when they speak Hokkien so you can not practice your listening
At least they are really nice.

ask them to speak mandarin

hker are not the only people that speak cantonese
majority of Cantonese speakers live outside of hk

>special snowflake status that somehow makes them different from chinks 20km across the border
remember elsaß-lothringen

HK is just one place that speaks Cantonese

though they are the only ones I've met who get triggered when you speak mandarin to them