The Guest

>bar fight
Fuck me that's good shit.

I'm wondering though: Beyond the music and the title card (and Dan Stevens being basically the Terminator), what makes this film more 80's than any other film? I mean, it gets the tone down perfect (compare this to Kung Fury and you'll see what I mean) but I can't quite pinpoint why.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRRjFwOTVVYzROM1k
youtu.be/3YZ60mQA4Q8
youtu.be/Lxbfshg2mcI
youtu.be/qT0iQRjHbW4
youtube.com/watch?v=cwo_INagZ94
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first half is great. The second half feels kind of cliche. I still liked it a lot though.

I dunno, I quite like the second half. It goes straight thriller but because they'd been sorta building up to that it kinda makes sense.

This movie is honestly one of my favorites.

I agree with you OP, it really nails the 80s vibe.

The whole movie just feels like a movie from then, it's a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

She couldn't leave well enough alone could she? He's literally perfect. And she just had to ruin everything.

>what makes this film more 80's than any other film?

Nothing, since it's not an "80's" movie.

>literally perfect
I mean, he's a brainwashed cyborg or some shit so that's a bit of a character flaw

is this worth watching? I saw that YMS gave it 2/10 so I'm suspicious.

When you look like this I think I'm willing to put that aside. Hell, I'd let him strangle me to death.

You know what I'm talking about, the neo-80's revivalist trend.

So far the best things out of it have been Hobo With A Shotgun, this, and Drive. Mayyybe Turbo Kid but that's stretching a bit.

its because, if you took out some of the more modern technology, you could mistake this movie as being from the 80s. Kung Fury on the other hand is 80s action movie tropes filtered through reddit memes as made by someone who didn't grow up watching them, and considers them to be 'so bad its good' material while citing marvel movies as their favourites.

It feels sorta like garbage, but it's the good kind of garbage. Garbage you would take home to meet the folks.

I don't know much about YMS, but it's a really fun thriller if you go in expecting something akin to like The Terminator (original). It's pretty funny at times, though unintentionally.

what does that even mean?

It's one of my favorite "I just want to relax and watch a fun movie" movies.

filmmaking vice it's not really even trying to be like the 80's movies but it feels like it takes place in a John Carpenter dream world where it's always Halloween, that's what makes it feel that

comfykino

literally memecore

this

it's shit, with it's corny synth score and le so le comfy xD aesthetic

No, Kung Fury is memecore. This is neo-80's kino.

ugh fuck that furry. did he even explain why he gave it 2/10? did he make a video of it? i mean The Guest is not 10/10 but no way it's 2/10. even if you wouldn't like the movie it's well put together.

>corny
>implying

It's a fun enjoyable movie. With just enough retro/throwback.

I hope Wingard makes the new Halloween. It would be a Carpenter fan film but who cares it'd be fun.

the ugly digital camera look stops Hobo from looking like an 80s movie.

ingredients for a successful 80s replica movie:
-autismo silent protagonist
-minimal dialogue
-dank synth soundtrack
-shot on film

no he gave it a 2 on imdb, probably there were some editing stuff he didn't like

Hobo was a damn good looking movie m8

I thought this movie was going to be shit but ended up liking it. Dat soundtrack

Alright then, perhaps you can give me some feedback on a script I'm working on. I'm shooting it in June, but I wanna try and get it to be as good as it can be.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRRjFwOTVVYzROM1k

And here's some of the music I want to try and toss in there.
youtu.be/3YZ60mQA4Q8
youtu.be/Lxbfshg2mcI
youtu.be/qT0iQRjHbW4

Please ignore the name and memes, I want an honest critique.

its for guys what Drive is for girls

I'd think Dan Stevens' body would be a good enough lure for girls.

Seriously, I'm straight but holy fuck.

the song used in this scene makes it that much cooler (spoilers for those who haven't seen it)

youtube.com/watch?v=cwo_INagZ94

Rutger Hauer actually fucking hated the Digital Cameras on set.

hmmm

i mean, it's not bad, but it doesn't feel very 80s. First of, everyone's too young, no self respecting 80s gang lord would hire a bunch of 20 year old hipsters as his lackeys. secondly, there's just too much quippy dialogue, it feels very late 90s written by someone whose favorite movie had been Pulp Fiction until they saw the Matrix

Yeah? Alright, cool.

The young thing, I really couldn't avoid that considering what I have to work with (primarily high-school and college friends). I still don't know how I'm gonna cast Bill (or Jonas for that matter).

The dialogue, that's just something I've never been good with. It always ends up sounding Tarantino-esque, but not in the good way, if that makes sense.

Any way I could improve it?

In addition, the whole plot centering around some average schlub who discovers he is secretly a killing machine is about as far away from an 80s movie as you can get.

Am I seriously the only one who saw this as a comedy? I mean it's fucking hilarious if you look at it as a parody of that particular modern 80s retro aesthetic. Dan Stevens is just awful enough to be brilliant, dude deserves an Oscar.

I went in thinking it was a horror comedy and was pleasantly surprised.

i would focus less on the dialogue and more on the atmosphere, if 80s is what you're going for.
Maybe get someone to draw you some storyboards?

>1985

I would listen to this guy if I were you.

I've got a couple storyboards already drawn up, and I know the aesthetic I'm going for fairly well. It's setting it up that's gonna be a real bitch to pull off.

Going for a sort of Escape From New York/The Warriors vibe, neon nightlife and shit.

Kek

But seriously though thanks to that guy, really gonna try and cut back on the dialogue a bit.

>Don't feel bad

You think the humor is unintentional? I would 100% call this movie a dark comedy. It doesn't take itself seriously in the slightest

yeah man, provoking a bunch of high schoolers by buying their girls blowjob drinks and kicking their ass in a bar is totally based unlike that quiet dude that doesn't give too many fucks unless it comes to defending his beloved from mortal danger.

>when Clan of Xymox kicks in during the finale