Cabin In The Woods

Is this the closest we'll ever get to a hollywood-size Lovecraft adaptation or anything even slightly related to the mythos?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthonic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If this shitty fucking movie full of typical whedon nonsense is what Lovecraft is all about then I'm glad I've never read a single thing he's written. Fuck lovecraft then desu

why does whedon make people so angry?

lovecraft has been done to death. An adaption just wouldn't work because it would bring nothing new

Only Lovecraftish thing in it was the presence of the Great Old Gods, which was pretty obvious a reference

It's not what Lovecraft is about at all. The Whedon dick sucker defense force just likes to pretend his shit don't stink and try to inject Lovecraft into the conversation to defend his shitty movie.

Cast a Deadly Spell is better Lovecraft than this abortion of a movie.

Hellboy, visually at least.

sjWheedon is an enabler of the worst degree.

tfw when they'll never let him adapt At the Mountains of Madness

Care to recommend me something actually Lovecraftian then?

I've heard True Detective is. And I absolutely loved both seasons of that.

bump

The script was garbage. Juvenile fanboy wank. Glad it didn't happen.

Not sure were you've heard that, it has some references to occultism but that is a pretty wide category.

Only Lovecraft shit is Carpenter movies really.

True Detective is, only vaguely. In the sense that its detectives investigating a spooky cult and they might be treading too close to something unknowable.

It could have become so much more in later seasons but they decided to just abandon the occult angle for some reason.

dagon

Re-Animator is entertaining.

In the Mouth of Madness.

>Is this the closest we'll ever get to a hollywood-size Lovecraft adaptation or anything even slightly related to the mythos?
It's not even remotely related to the Mythos, or Lovecraft. That's a titan, it's greek.

Shit, yes.

Best fucking mad scientist in all of film too.

>le snarkhut in le snarkweald
Is this the closest we'll ever get to a hollywood-size Reddit adaptation or anything even slightly related to the cancer?

>In the Mouth of Madness.
mah niggas.

Mouth of Madness, pleb

better Lovecraftian, better movie

No he hasn't. His themes are hardly used at all.

>It's not even remotely related to the Mythos, or Lovecraft

This just isn't true, the true evil described in the film are Old Gods who demand human sacrifice in order to not destroy humanity, a common theme in the Lovecraft universe. Though just saying "that's a titan" you yourself acknowledge the Lovecraftian element of the film as Lovecraft obviously borrowed heavily from Greek mythology.

That's what I like about Lovecraft-themes. Things that make humans feel insignificant. People don't seem to understand and think "it's too hard to translate Lovecraft stories to film". No, it's just never done at all.

Hellboy was a decent flick. The finale blew my mind with the cosmic entity.

That's not a common theme in Lovecraft, human sacrifice never pops up. Old Gods refers to Titans, and Lovecraft didn't borrow from Greek mythology you stupid fuck.

Why do they let children on Sup Forums

I never got any lovecraftian-vibes from Cabin in the Woods.

One of the most common themes in Lovecraft is the complete and total insignificance of the human race in the grand scheme of things. Outside of rare instances like Nyarlothep, the old ones are incognizant of us and our existence is basically a cosmic ephemeral accident.

Cabin of the Woods, however, asserts that the Gods are not only heavily invested in the human condition, but that we were created in their image.

Outside of the notion that God is deplorable/vengeful, there's not much overlap between the two.

we're hoping they post nudes.

Whedon is held up as a great writer when all of his work is full of cringeworthy quips. No one in real life speaks like a Joss Whedon character.

Closest we're ever getting to an SCP Foundation movie, which is too bad because the organization in Cabin was horribly incompetent by comparison

name five lovecraftian films
i'm not trying to disprove you, I'd like to see them
to me it seems like a fresh direction for horror

Carpenter is a sick, sick man!

this guy gets it

>because the organization in Cabin was horribly incompetent by comparison
That depends if we're talking Old-SCP or New-SCP.

Old-SCP was definitely more in line with what you'd expect in Cabin in the Woods.

Literal Lovecraft adaptions =/= Lovecraftian
Jesus fuck

Prometheus
In the Mouth of Madness
Borderlands
Under the Skin

This. Never even read Lovecraft and I know this.

You know, Lovecraft didn't invent the idea of dark, underground gods, or sacrifices to them in pits.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthonic

Who would be a good Lovecraft director? It would have to be someone good with atmosphere and tension.

Not him. They are very uncommon movies. The few that I think are Lovecraftian are
The Mist
Re-Animator
Hellboy
The Borderlands
Cabin in the Woods
Dagon
ITMOM
The Thing

That's about it.

Oh and Event Horizon.

Didn't like it at all tbqh. I think an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth that's more true to the novel could really work though.

The dudes who made Blue Ruin.

Ridley

>Cabin in the Woods
With the exception of the gods at the end even then not really cabin in the woods has nothing lovecraft about it. Not in themes not in lore not in atmosphere.

If you did not smile at least once during the final act of the movie, then you are a fucking soulless contrarian piece of shit. I hate Whedon just as much as everyone here does but even I loved Cabin in The Woods.

There is a film which follows a team of geologists who research some unusual earthquakes in a remote area and find a enourmous creatur underground is responsible for it.
Forgot the name, felt lofcraftian tho. Also giant tentacles as added bonus

In the mouth of madness

Del Taco and Ridley are pretty much the only people who could do it right.

Europa?

>borderlands
>event horizon
can confirm

DUDE TENTACLES LMAO

xxDDD

normies have ruined lovecraft

That happened in the latest Godzilla movie, kind of

Absentia is pretty good. Has a solid Lovecraftian vibe.

>del taco

Have you read that alleged script for "At the Mountains of Madness" that he canned in favor of Pacific Rim?

It was fucking shit.

the last 20 minutes of the borderlands fucked me up senpai.

One of the few times i found footage movie actually scared the shit out of me.

>but they decided to just abandon the occult angle for some reason.
It's the ultimate redpill, user. It goes beyond jews and catholics and freemasons and whatever else.

yeah, but in this film the main part is discovering whats going on and the disbelieve and panic of the characters

thats not it
found it a few years back on some streaming website and would like to rewatch it, but I can't think of the title...

It's a shame that found footage is so played out, it's perfect for lovecraftian material

Event Horizon was more Warhammer 40k. Especially the 'warp incursion' parts they cut because it was just batshit crazy.

the comics have a much, much greater Lovecraft-ish feeling

For reference, a bothros, a pit for ritual sacrifice to gods associated with the earth and the underground.

I loved this film.

I liked Event Horizon.

Hellblazer had some fitting story arcs.

What's your favorite lovecraftian adaptations?

Mine would probably be the Necromorphs from Dead Space or the Eldrazi from Magic the Gathering.

double dubs confirm m8

Old and tired now, but Amnesia was a good experience of what it'd probably feel like to be a Lovecraft character.

Oh and then there is Darkest Dungeon.

That looks so amateurish

i went to see cabin in the woods not knowing anything about it except that it was a some kind of horror movie

figured out early on that it was a parody and i thought it was hilarious. i was laughing the whole way through

i actually saw it with a large group of people, and there was a clear divide between the dumbasses in my friend group who "didn't get it" and the smart ones. uncanny.

For the love of God just read lovecraft. Some stories can be a bit laborious to get started but his body of work is really incredible.

I see a lot of people hate on this one but I would recommend starting with Dreams in the Witch House

Danny Boyle imo

Bloodborne is the best Lovecraft adaptation in the sense that it captures the moode of the stories

>ayy lmaos

Also, his poems were pretty slamming.

Pretty much the perfect way to present The Statement of Randolph Carter

>two plots running parallel
>one found footage of Randolph and his teacher in the swamp
>one of Randolph being interrogated

Fund it

Pickman's Model is another great entry level short

This

This should be the only logic anyone takes from anything ever.

You're missing From Beyond and Banshee Chapter.

>Jules

Because he's annoying and his writing is juvenile, oh and his fanbase is insufferable.

Alien owes a lot to Mountains of Madness. I wish they had made a film adaptation back when practical effects were still the shit and movie magic was real.

What about Evil Dead? Maybe not directly Lovecraftian, but heavily inspired with Necronomicon, strange unexplainable evil forces etc.

>Banshee Chapter
please, let's forget this crap, it's pure shit

Can someone give a clear definition to what is Lovecraftian?

>muh Lovecraft

Get better taste, plebs.

The old ones in Cabin In The Woods were the audience.

True Detective absolutely is NOT lovecraftian in any sense. An aging junkie hallucinates a space thing on the verge of death. Anyone who reads more into that is an idiot.

It does have a nice creepy atmosphere though.

>atmosphere
>cults and dark rituals
>conspiracy
you should read more

no

>fear of the unknown
>there is no God
>the universe is crowded by nightmarish aliens
>the human is powerless
the list goes on

Well is was directed by a first time director on a slightly larger than tv budget. Soooo

The tease of magic, and the existence of giant powerful beings inconceivable the human mind, beings the protrude into our dimensions in strange ways and affect us in ways that don't follow the known rules of the universe.

A Lovecraft story would never end with "it was just an inbred hick raping little kids the whole time".

Could Prince of Darkness be considered Lovecraftian?

He was just a product of other people's dark work. The presence of some cosmic horror is felt in what motivated these men to do their evil deeds in the first place. It's fell influence creeps into the world and poisons the atmosphere, and creates an environment that brings out the worst in men.

There is not some tentacle-head guy sitting in a cave somewhere directing it. It's more diaphanous than that.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is probably one of the most
lovecraftian horror films I've ever seen.

It really nails the surreal sense of dread and terror of the unknown that is a staple in Lovecraftian mythos. It's also very strong on the psychological aspects.

> a lovecraft story would never end with it was just an imbred hick raping little kids the whole time.

So I guess you missed the story where it was just a family of inbred hicks raping their own kids and turned Into underground monkey people?

i think so
the Prince could be Shub-Niggurath/Nyarlathotep

>true lovecraftian movie
>spooky conclusion
>camera zooms on the main character's screaming face while screaming sound is covered by narration of the main character
>"I'm unable to describe what I saw, but it was really horrible you can take my word for that!"

>The presence of some cosmic horror
There's nothing cosmic about the horror in TD, it's entirely terrestrial in origin.
>hicks rape their kids
>hick's kids become violent psychopathic rapists
>corruption covers it up
Season one, which I assume is the only one we're discussing since S2 failed atmosphere, was all about how all humans are pieces of shit and we're basically one or two traumas from being worse than animals.

>underground monkey people
Yeah, you're going to have to cite your sources on that one for me.