What is "Emo"?

hey Sup Forumsh buddies, I've been doing some research on the emotional hardcore spectrum of music. There seems to be controversy as to what "real" emo. From what I discovered, original emo, such as Rites of Spring, is the "real emo" as opposed to modern emo, like dashboard confessional, is "fake emo". where do you guys draw the line when it comes down to emo? What defines emo to you? what songs or bands would you guys consider to be "true" emo? I'm just looking for answers. It's also a quarter to 4 in the morning and everyone's alsleep.
>inb4 Kys Faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=45cIlsK4Yww
youtube.com/watch?v=LJkT3keG230
youtube.com/watch?v=HxOFViGBSHQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

real emo: Rites of Spring, Moss Icon, Indian Summer, The Hated, etc

fake emo: My Chemical Romance, Dashboard Confessional, etc

fake "real emo": American Football, Mineral, World is a Lovely Place and Blah Blah Blah

It's the final category that is the most insidious because people on this board unironically give it legitimacy

Would also add in:
Real screamo: Orchid, iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook, pg99 etc

Fake screamo: anything signed to Rise Records, anything produced well, anything that doesn't sound like emotion ripping apart your throat

>dashboard confessional, is "fake emo"
never heard them before now and I'm starting with the first album and its literally just folk music. However it seems to be composed similarly to dramatic pop punk which is very close if not in tandem to the style of emo which seems to have originated with Samiam

so I wouldnt really call it fake as much as a misnomer. And I'm only on the third song so there may still be something.

plaintive pop punk

Emo is literally not a genre, its a blanket term for bands with emotional lyrics.

But we all know Rites of Spring, Moss Icon etc. are the foundation of it all. Then the Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Orchid,... Goes on to evolve the term into a specific flavour of indie-rock, pop-punk, post-hardcore and other genres. Then we just unite those genres under emo.

Unfortunately mainstream emo still qualifies as emo, but noone takes it seriously and if you do, you will not be taken seriously.

To anwser your question: Everything emo is emo. Its literally impossible to define "real emo" so only autists debate the boundaries of the genre. It's not "is it emo?" its "how emo is it?".

Either that or I'm retarded.

This guy is correct.

Emo is not a genre, as proved by the fact that is cited as the first emo when Husker Du already did emo before

Actually emo is short for emotional hardcore

The hardcore, as in hardcore punk is an important aspect of the genre name

Saying it's just for emotional is like saying prog is just for progressive but it's for progressive rock

wut that doesnt prove anything except that some people were wrong

its technically short for emocore

then how are those not very hardcore indie rock emo band classified
what abou cap'n jazz? are their lyrics emotional?

Many people have called Zen Arcade emo through out the years.

I mean that yeah emocore means emotional hardcore but technically the word emocore is what emo is short for

at first I heard cap'n jazz called emo but then I heard post-emo but that seems to have fallen out of fashion so I guess its back to emo again which I'm fine with. Actually they're the very first band I ever heard someone call emo

well right and I actually insist that In a Freeland 7" contains the first emo songs but that just means people may were wrong about citing ros as the first. If I'm right that is. That doesnt mean its not a genre and thats quite an extrapolation.

shout out to Stravinsky

and fuck these emo degenerate plagiarists

rite of spring
rites of spring

totally different

My favorite part of fantasia. Fuck my shit up.

FUK U

I've listened to Hot Cross, Off Minor and Saetia.

I didn't really like Saetia.

What is more Emo I can listen to? I really like the soft vocals mixed with guitars. Here's some of my favorites.

youtube.com/watch?v=45cIlsK4Yww
youtube.com/watch?v=LJkT3keG230
youtube.com/watch?v=HxOFViGBSHQ

What I've come to understand is that what we call midwest emo is emocore minus the hardcore although sometimes it has the hardcore too.