/daily/ general thread

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Most importantly, who is the Kenneth Memeger of music

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0c_mhrB7LlQ
youtu.be/t6mQzV0Pmdg?t=10s
artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/album/kurushimi
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-coltrane/coltrane-live-at-birdland/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince_paul/a-prince-among-thieves/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tomita/snowflakes_are_dancing/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/duster/stratosphere/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/telstar-drugs/telstar-drugs/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/women/public_strain/
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nQqzW57TU
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vladimir_spivakov___sergej_bezrodny___dietmar_schwalke___alexander_malter/alina/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_velvet_underground/white_light___white_heat_f3/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/captain-beefheart-and-his-magic-band/trout-mask-replica/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I haven't started one in a while. Fuck these threads desu desu amiright

holy fug did that finally arrive???

I sent that like two months ago

It arrived earlier but I arrived home just now :)

found out i generally dont like choral music as much i think i would

breathe carolina was awkward but at least it didn't bore me to tears so transgod goes on

youtube.com/watch?v=0c_mhrB7LlQ
what do we all think of this?

>mfw a download is a bad vinyl rip but the music is good

desu desu desu desu desu fuck daily

smhsmh

I love the game of chicken that takes place after a thread dies without a follow up
thankyou dogkanker

pick an album for me to listen to

Manhattan Tuesday, duh!

First bersarin quartett record is cool, the second and third one are trash

I asked last threat but it died and I'm too lazy to archive it but I want the daily chart if there still is one

listen to ...All We Are Now soon

Also Dogwander can you rec me some Haino stuff for someone who's barely heard more than Fushitsusha's live album from 89 and loved it

I don't have access to Soulseek atm, will do it tomorrow?

Bersarin Quartett it is

Rough day guys. Just found out my grandpa passed away, so I'm flying out to his funeral this weekend :(

Probably won't post much in the next week or so but I'll be back to scope out new tunes with you dudes soon.

rip my brother

Coolio!
Would you want a calmer or a more "expressive" release?

:((((((
my condolences

My condolences m8. That sucks.

tell me what to listen to so that i don't have to make my own decisions since i'm a weak ass lil shit

stay strong man

I'm only halfway but holy shit this album fucking bangs, funkiest stuff ever. Best use of electronics on a jazz album I've seen apart from maybe some Sun Ra stuff.

air

Hey I'm still almost at the top, maybe not my 3 favorites at the moment though but its cool

I guess something in the same style, noisy and with Haino grunting as if he's in the jakes

Aww man, that's terrible. My condolences.

Skepta!!!!!!!!

ripperoni pepperoni
hope youre alright

Try Seijaku - Last Live

Wish you well, sorry for your loss

>dream thrash
this is going to be either mindblowing or totally laughable
neat either way

Is SDC still around?

I will, thanks!

my nigga jandek

youtu.be/t6mQzV0Pmdg?t=10s

he shitposts in the discord
i haven't seen him in thread for a while unless he's adopted another moniker

depends
who wants to know?

>when you finish an assignment and reward yourself with a donut and soda
Viva la behaviourism.

>Jandek - Helsinki Saturday

Well this is peculiar…

An instrumental duet. No singing. The representative is on the piano. Iro Haarla is playing the harp.

A single 1 hour+ track titled “Sleeping In The Dawn” is sort of similar to what happened on Ghost Passing in terms of the general dynamics. A softer instrument coupled with Jandek’s piano-playing style is a successful scenario, especially if the opposing player isn’t afraid to get a bit…shall I say “unconventional” in the performance? Then again I’m not familiar with her work and she seems to have been on some ECM recordings, so I’m sure she’s avant.

While they start quietly and slowly, there are moments when both of the performers practically “hit” their instrument, with Iro’s nails attacking the muted strings for fuller intensity or just strumming the harp hard. Sterling does his usual jumps and skips on the keyboard with some glissandos and just the simple right-handed melodies. What’s more amusing to follow is the way they escalate the manic moments and discharge the situation in this improvisation. In addition to all this, the performance has some sort of oriental feel to it. Just the time intervals between the notes and the sound of a plucked harp made me have some elementary association, but this might be just me.

Somber, peaceful improvisation. Not a big fan of the audible crowd chatter. Probably could’ve done a better job at recording the show.

7+/10

(this one made me chuckle, ngl)
Thanks for the kind words fellas, I really appreciate it :') He was one of the funniest dudes I've met and luckily I was able to chat with him a few days ago before he passed.

Gonna go watch some Community to take my mind off things

Milford Graves ft. Arthur Doyle and Hugh Glover - Babi (1976)

Instruments wailing as though possessed by demons, scat singing on steroids, counting to 16 as fast as possible, this album has it all. Featuring two reed instruments (tenor + alto?) and one drummer, somehow the drums manage to outdo both saxes combined for the focal point. Goddamn, this has some of the best free jazz drumming I’ve heard in a while.
Arthur Doyle and Hugh Glover both have their insanity meters dialled to 11, in that the interplay is as much intentional as it is unintentional. It’s basically Hair Pie with african inspired drums on PCP, and I’m ok with that. I’m pretty sure Arthur Doyle overblew every single note in this set.
The ad libbing and vocal performances get a few nervous chuckles from the uninitiated audience, who should probably not be surprised given the nature of the set, as it actually fits in well with the atmosphere.
The recording quality is mostly good, but the only vinyl rip I could find has bass jolts around the middle of the first track into the second. Not sure if that’s the rip or somebody decided to start smacking the recording equipment at the concert, but it’s a little distracting.
Overall, the drumming in this set makes it an essential listen for fans of abrasive free jazz.

8.0 /10

Cringiest post I've ever seen in my life.

Nice.

Ok so I couldn't find the bersain quartet so I did that other one I was asked to do

jangle no bully for these synopses pls, it's 4am

Carissa's Wierd (sweet band name bro) - Songs About Leaving
Thought I would hate this, did not hate this, the album really picks up in the second half, it's a bit of a bummer

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatmans Call
A good nick cave album, fairly uniform, but the lyrics are good and the instrumentation is suitably dour

Homesick from Space - ...All We Are Now
didn't much care for this one, got those butt-prog vocals (kinda like Coheed and Cambria you know the kind) and a bit of the butt-prog instrumentation as well, I'm not overall impressed after my listening, but it wasn't bad at all.

rec me?

I REALLY like this reaction image, Anonymous.

Naaaah

>

Miles Davis - Get Up With It

frizzle fry is funkier desu

Best Arvo Pärt music? Apart from Fratres, Spem in Alium, Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten, Spiegel im Spiegel (all of which I like) or Symphony No. 3 (which I don't like)

WRONG ANSWER
WRONG ANSWER
I've heard it in various sittings and I'm not sure how I feel about it, it mostly goes over my head, late fusion Miles barely has any jazz to hold to and all the psychedelic and funky sounds leave me a bit indifferent.

wow fuk u too dude

Ok, what do you want then? Genre or feel?

Pretty dang good. Just bought an orig pressing

rude
jazz I guess
or if you have any cool metal

What kind of jazz? What kind of FEEEL

I need to find more good modern stuff, if you have any of that. Or maybe something with bowed basses. Or some very good piano trio?

Just about anything you think is good will do too.

id like to see how you feel about this
artascatharsis.bandcamp.com/album/kurushimi

I gotchu senpai

see

k, updated the chart

Have a new 3?
and plug

many thanks

dank
okay
cutting pink with knives - populuxxe

do

As long as it's good. I wasn't very fond of nommo but since you weren't either I'll go for this one.

Totally blanked on this, sorry dude. Here's my choices:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-coltrane/coltrane-live-at-birdland/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/prince_paul/a-prince-among-thieves/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tomita/snowflakes_are_dancing/

oh Marble Index was replaced by C'mon Miracle by Mirah for me if you want to update further

Yeah this one is much better.

done
done

I really really need to listen to that Jorge Ben album sometime soon

if you wanna add me

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/duster/stratosphere/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/telstar-drugs/telstar-drugs/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/women/public_strain/

I'm sorry man. hope you're doing alright.

You know, we could just make a RYM list that we can all edit to keep track of this desu senpai

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - Lovelyville
>Experimental Rock, Beefheart-core
I discovered the "Shut Up, Little Man" tapes recently, which are hilarious, which led me back to this album. (They're sampled on a few tracks at the beginning.)

Upon relistening to Lovelyville, it's nowhere near as unimpressionable as I first found it. I just can not get enough of the herky jerky barn burners on here, like the fiery opener, "Four O'Clocker", "More Glee", and the absolutely mind-blowing, cacophonous "Sinking Boats".
>just listen to this shit, man: youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nQqzW57TU

While some of the Feller filler here is particularly trying, and the 20-odd minutes of bonus tracks are beyond unnecessary (particularly the stomach churning "The Meat Display [1.5 minutes of studio warm-up with diarrhea sfx accompaniment]), overall I enjoyed the album. Just be sure to skip those bonus tracks.
>7/10

Nat I'm stealing/trying out your review format. I want to make my thoughts more ""review""-oriented. Keep your stinkin rating system tho

Will do
Seems a bit unnecessarily complicated, or overly bureaucratic maybe?

test
also nice satanic trips, me

I'm sorry :^(
Safe travels

went user
;)

heck dude
like heck

lad...

Any fresh new memes to spice up my evening with?

Listening to Coltrane's Om for the first time. Wow, it sounds like there's something terribly wrong. I know about the LSD rumor

Swap Drinking Songs for pic related, Mozart's Requiem

>le hungrarian meme man

Kenneth Anger is bad.

we're all anons here

hows this

>pig inside the gentleman
:(8)D

is this garfield?

No rush to add me because I don't post here as much as I used to, but if you get the time:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vladimir_spivakov___sergej_bezrodny___dietmar_schwalke___alexander_malter/alina/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_velvet_underground/white_light___white_heat_f3/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/captain-beefheart-and-his-magic-band/trout-mask-replica/

Neither fresh nor spicy.

have a cat for your disappointments

Can you maybe photoshop it so it looks like the house and cat are split into three different parts with space between?

>loss
The Disingegration Memes are the only ones that matter right now

These are already losing value, you need to sell right now before it's too late. We reached peak meme several days ago.

i can only use a touchpad right now but bich i could

memeconomy is a p stale mem itself :(

>tfw facebook pages are now responsible for a huge chunk of rnernery

Yeh, even (you)conomics has stagnated. Memes are on the way out, desu.

there are some good ass facebook meme pages

nice, i really enjoy writing in that style.

glad you liked lovelyville btw

i always assumed they got most of their stuff from tumblr and twitter but i never really bothered with those sites
i actually made a tumblr acc a few weeks ago but dunno what to follow except Trish and HHH so it's sorta pointless

u can follow me but i never really was active, more or less for the same reasons

VAPERROR - Acid Arcadia (2016)
>acid house

The most shocking album I've heard in a really long time. I'm not really big into a lot of post-internet stuff like this, and what I know of Vaperror is some really underwhelming vaportrap stuff, but this is pretty damn great. The runtime is a massive upside, 40 or so minutes of this could certainly get to be too much, as the sound is pretty singular and draining as is, but 20 minutes is really a good runtime. It never feels too brief and the pace keeps up the whole time, which is absolutely essential to music like this. Some of the stock drum machine and synth sounds seem really out of place, but the bubbly, bright soundscapes are great, and the drums are just so damn catchy and frenetic, you just wanna dance your ass off to this thing. The musical equivalent of candy, really sweet and enjoyable but slightly unmemorable.

3.0+

Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde (2007)
>shoegaze

I can't be alone in thinking that this is a total slog. The black metal elements are a nice touch, the tremolo guitars are nice and the blast beats add some much needed aggression and life to the music, but the vast majority of this is just some of the most boring shoegaze around. It sounds like really generic movie music, it's got that overly wistful vibe to it that seems totally phony, the songs themselves are bland and lifeless, and it sounds too much like a bedroom demo, it completely lacks the noise I love in shoegaze. Really middling stuff, I don't get the praise at all.

0.5+