/prod/ - Production General

No prod general?

prod general.

Post your works in progress on clyp.it and evaluate others works. Give feedback to get feedback. No soundcloud fagging.

Composition and production questions welcome, let's hear what you're working on!

clyp.it/drygnoco

Latest song, doing vocals this week, love to hear some opinions on the mix, I think bass might be a tad heavy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/i1rutuf1
clyp.it/4sxc0osc
clyp.it/r0faax0n
clyp.it/nd5k4jk1
clyp.it/wvoxtif0
mediafire.com/?gr4r8df4951swon
presidentofwhat.bandcamp.com/
clyp.it/fb41a4tm
clyp.it/ueqejkpf
clyp.it/5z35235t
clyp.it/4du5pttl
clyp.it/drygnoco
clyp.it/hxf2qcb2
varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/
clyp.it/rbgkrpcs
clyp.it/qq231kfq
clyp.it/1fnsuaql
clyp.it/b22s0bii
clyp.it/vkzfsfjx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you guys ever use FM Synthesis for making 808-esque bass sounds?

i layered a square over a sine and then fm'd the square with a triangle-ish shape and then i lowpassed it. sounds p decent i think so far. def a better tone than a bare square wave imo.

yesssss!!!
in Sytrus you can design a sinusoid operator which sounds just like the perfect 808. then I filter that and I also turn on another oscillator just with one single pitch drop which isn't keytracked which is the attack of the kick and it sounds 10/10. I can send you the preset if you want.

and also ye, a lot of times it's just a distorted sine wave but you can make 808's with all sorts of waveforms.

Here are my songs
clyp.it/i1rutuf1
clyp.it/4sxc0osc
clyp.it/r0faax0n
clyp.it/nd5k4jk1
clyp.it/wvoxtif0

OP here on the recording I posted I actually ended up using a tone generator to trigger a 60Hz sine wave on the kick drum to add some umph cause we recorded like poorfags and only had one kick mic

>clyp.it/nd5k4jk1
I like the 5th one the best, reminds me of some mitch murder

Please do send the preset. Thanks.

mediafire.com/?gr4r8df4951swon

Is an electribe enough to make full songs outside a DAW? what's a really cheap hardware setup to make minimal techno and stuff like that?

depends on how you define "enough"

Enough for a complete beginner on a budget I mean. I'm planning on adding as I learn and as I save money. I'm willing to go the super-minimal route for the time being.

thanks do you have any suggestions for the third one? I feel like it needs more

presidentofwhat.bandcamp.com/
Me and my buddy mixed this in my bedroom, opinion?

Needs alot of work m8, sounds very amateur

specifically vocals, they have no depth, did you use a USB mic?

I copy pasted one region in Logic Pro X from one instrument to another. When pasted in the second instrument, it doesn't fucking play. I can record on the track just fine, the only issue is with that copy pasted region.

Halp

Is it worth starting with ableton live lite or just going with reaper?

in that case yes, it is.

Ableton's good, it's all about what workflow you get used to and Ableton's is really fuckin good.

why lite? just get real ableton

Yeah hahaha just a logitech, we went into it literally a budget of nothing but after buying an interface, a proper mic is next on the list, a guy at the local music shop recommends a shure sm-58, is that a good mic in you guy's opinion? Thanks again for the feedback

i don't care for the vocals at all, and you should read the sticky my man

bump, I was having this problem in reaper

vocals need to be practiced more and won't benefit from a better mic alone. get an sm57 instead

sure thing my man

Intro is like $79 in canuck money

Hey bro, not sure if it will help you, but I fixed my issue.

Pic related. When I created the new track, it had its MIDI channel set to All. I changed it to MIDI channel 1, same as my other tracks and it worked.

I'm using some VSTs with it so it didn't pick up on it.

Here's what I got
clyp.it/fb41a4tm

Here's a cover a Sex Dwarf (Soft Cell)
What glaring issues are there? What sounds out of place?

clyp.it/ueqejkpf

clyp.it/5z35235t

Just got into house music and this is my current work in progress. do you guys have any suggestions for what could make my music more interesting/what could help my mixdowns/etc.?

clyp.it/4du5pttl
my wip so far. having a hard time making my pads sound atmospheric without making it all so muddy. i want my reverb to sound thick and lush but it all comes out so thin no matter how much reverb and stereo widening i do. been going at it all day and havent done anything on the drums

I second getting a sm57, look on craigslist for gear

>clyp.it/4du5pttl
Try cutting 3db at 400Hz for other instruments

What are you using for reverb?

I have quite a bit of reverb on some tracks on this, but alot of the lush sound is from delay

clyp.it/drygnoco

>clyp.it/fb41a4tm
I actually liked this, at the end i would go into a full time groove though really build the song up back into a 4 on the floor dance beat senpai

It's really good user, you had me grooving in my chair.

clyp.it/drygnoco

Does anyone ever do live drums or instruments in general? Really would love some feedback on this, I know the levels are a little quiet but it's not mastered/finished yet

thanks man! its not done yet, do you have anything in mind that i could work on/make better?

No. I'd just like to add that I love it when the bass comes in. It is so unpredictable and is catchy right away.

What folder name do you use for YOUR samples folder? As in, under "Samples" I have folders like "Classic Hip-Hop Kicks" and "Only The Holy Drumkit", but how do I call the one where I put song snippets that I have found myself, or recordings I've done?

I'll try adding delay. Tbh I never thought to do that. I have a reverb send for the pads and I eq out the sub and boosted alitte in the 400-900 area. I panned 500 and up freqs slightly to the right while everything under panned slightly left. Then I put a stereo chorus on it but I think that candles out the panning I did. Also I was jamming to your tune bro shits good

Also im using ableton stock reverb

clyp.it/hxf2qcb2

How do I make this not sound like shit on laptop speakers? In my car and on my headphones, everything comes through rather clear.
>Basically how do I mix well for all types of speakers

STOLENMUSIC

i like the beginning of midterm n steady hands n im glad you think etc n probably something else if i kept listening. alright variety you have there but the vocals make me feel too much like im a 20something adult who accidentally entered the room of a teen in hs practising music with his friend and thats just uncomfortable, but its enjoyable keep it up my man

dude....sidechain some shit. you have no house pulse

Tempted to use this actually lol it's better than what I have right now (my real life name)

Best I can say is mix in mono

dude delays are where it's at to get that lush sound. I usually use 2 reverb buses one for vocals and one for instruments. In that mix I only send organ and rhythm guitars to a plate reverb bus, on the reverb bus I cut out 400Hz and below and about 10kHz, it will clear your reverb up and let sound you technically want to come through, the long decay.

But seriously try a close spaced delay and then into the reverb bus.

Thanks man we tracked all real instruments, the big guitar sound you hear is analog delay with modulation, but panned left and right from two mics on the guitar cab

pay for mastering, or attempt yourself, try youtube

Oh go download epicVerb right now, I freaking love it, it's a free VST plugin

I use alooooot of these plugs
varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

How do you get them fancy vengance packs for free? I have the their trap kit of anyone wanna trade

I'm no good at this. Bully me.

clyp.it/rbgkrpcs

What's a good, cheap ass turntable I can buy for sampling?

it is sidechained, but probably not enough. i think i need to adjust the attack on the compressor a bit

Check your phase on any stereo instruments, reference on laptop speakers. That's generally what you do to check a mix anyway but it could help to revisit it.

clyp.it/qq231kfq

Working with a vocalist on stuff, probably gonna push him this as a taster for a track in a day or two. Any mix suggestions in the meantime?

clyp.it/1fnsuaql
New album drops next sursday yall biscuit heads

I've been wanting to buy a microphone for a year now, but i've never really managed to find out whether a condensor or dynamic mic would be better for what i want to do. I'd want to use it for recording my piano, probably my guitar too, and maybe vocals. I know that dynamic mics are used for recording amplifiers in the studio etc.

Anyways, the mics i had my eyes on are the MXL 990 and the Shure SM57. I don't know if these would be best to start out with. I thought about spending around 100€ to start with. If you have better suggestions, or think i should definitely spend more, i'm open to do that

Anyways, i implore you to help me out, because i really just want to buy a mic already.
Also, just in case, yes i have an audio interface that i think can power a mic up to 48v (Scarlett 2i4)

Honestly piano won't sound fantastic unless you're micing it in stereo with two mics. The 57 is nice and multipurpose but a 58 would be a straight upgrade for what you want (if you can afford it).

My advice would be keep saving if you can.

My Live tooltip is suddenly red.
What the fuck does this mean?

People are listening, give them a good show user

I have the money to buy an SM58, i'm just always reluctant to invest a lot, even if it would be a good investment. So you're saying i should definitely get a dynamic mic? The guitar is acoustic by the way, i always thought dynamic mics are mainly used to record incredibly loud sources of sound (such as amps)

Well, interestingly enough, they both cost the exact same amount of money. Is the SM58 really just a straight upgrade?

Yes. While condenser are usually recorded for the instruments you've listed, for your budget you'll find it very hard to get one thats actually good. The 58 is a solid choice for basically everything if you're out of options.

Basically anything with direct drive as you'll want to spin back and cue samples and the like

Like i said, if you have a better suggestion i wouldn't mind spending more money. I just said around 100 bucks because i'm unsure on what is the right investment

it's not
it's the exact same capsule with the 57 trying to be a tad more neutral and the 58 being optimized for handheld vocals as in having the extra pop screen and a little presence bump to compensate for it
get a matched pair of condensers like the rode nt5 for a usable piano sound and try some stereo micing techniques with them

So I recorded some 10 second long sound and I want to make a melody out of it. How can I make it so that it only plays as long as I hit a key (so if I hold a key for 2 seconds it only plays that sound for 2 seconds instead of the full 10 seconds)? Using FL studio. Pls no laffing I am stupid.

the drums don't sound too bad, but especially your snare sounds like it's a couple of meters behind the rest of the kit, it lacks some punch and clarity. I love the body on it but it lacks snap and it's too reverby and blurry
same with the piano, it could be much more 'tactile', give it more purpose in the mix. make it really come in front in the soft parts of the tune where it needs to hold everything together. later on with just the fills on top of the full band it's fine because it needs to blend
good job on making the kick&bass interaction work
great hammond sounds though, it blends nicely with the guitars and adds just the right amount of color without making a muddy mess. maybe it's a tad too wide, but that's matter of taste
also pretty nice guitar solo, gotta love that tasteful groovy noodling

tfw waiting for support to reply

Download Kontakt Player, its free from the Native Instruments site. Can get a decent bunch of free sample libraries from them too.

Well whats the upper limit of your budget? For piano its gonna sound best with two mics, and you'll get a very nice guitar sound doing the same.

Thanks /prod/ for getting me to the point where some good indie labels listening to my demos.

give tips

I have a problem with FL Studio 12.4. It's very infuriating. It always makes crackling sound, even when ASIO is on. I do not want to delete the project for the 20th time, but please tell me how do I fix this? I will put my specs if you want to see.

what audio interface do you use?

Are you using a USB hub?

Realtek High Definition Audio.

12 hours prodding virtually everyday, knowing music theory, knowing how to use ableton to its absolute core, and using my midi controllers and sequencer to death. I also studied just about all my favourite artists inspiration and just kind of followed basic patterns they did. Guess I'm "Striking while the iron's hot" seeing Future Bass is kind of flavour of month to some labels.

I don't have any. I work on a laptop. But elaborate.

then if you're using asio4all or FL's own asio driver with than then make sure you up the buffer size of that to some 512 or even 1024 samples in the respective driver's control panel when dealing with big projects

If you're getting crackling while recording with a USB device it's probably because the USB ports on your laptop don't carry enough voltage for the device to function correctly.

Were you NEET or did you do this while working a day job?

I don't record anything with USB device.
But what do you use the USB device for. I am also a noobie.

that shit shouldn't crackle in that case
does it count the underruns in there while crackling?

Working a part time job and living in a bungalow at my mum's place for free.

In that case you need to do what the other user said and up your buffer size, get a better CPU, or try closing any VSTs you're not using and see if the noises stop

No.
I am on laptop, so can I change CPU on my laptop?

try turning off all the multithreaded stuff with that little old processor

looks bad then
downsize your projects, freeze tracks to audio to save processing power and work destructively till you can get a computer that can run your stuff properly

OK

I'd say i wouldn't want to spend more than 300€ on a mic yet

Two AT2020s would be good choices, but if you can afford it two AT2035s would be even better.

I meant for 1 mic desu

so basically
>learn major 7th's
>learn how to automate supersaws
>learn how to make bread and butter sounds
>copy what everyone else does because I have no creative ability and can't think outside the box

how's this boiz/10?

also how do add more varitation
clyp.it/b22s0bii

You're not going to get good piano recordings with one mic, and guitar is drastically improved with one on body and one on neck/bridge. Vocals won't suffer on these mics either.

alright

clyp.it/vkzfsfjx

Made a track that was heavily influenced by caribou. Would like to know if its actually good or ive just put too much work into it.