twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

did adorno like rock music?

all popular music is unethical user

oh yeah forgot
dam

>Ethics

Marxist criticism oh yeah

I love the idea of a mass protest blasting Schoenberg

Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.
The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

I spend my time writing about jazz and new music for The Wire magazine, yet I find what Adorno has to say about music incredibly useful - despite his much quoted attacks on jazz.

It sucks and I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe me I've tried. I just hate the parts I hate about it more than I like the little things there are to like. The batting average is just so low I can't bear the dead time between highlights being filled with all that noodling. It's vain music.

>I spend my time writing about jazz and new music for The Wire magazine

Why put all this effort in coming up with a metaphor that's eventually still based on what other people think and hating cultural elitism. There is a shit ton of jazz out there that's pointlessly virtuous.
>you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone?
srs?
seems to me you feel forced to like it to prove to yourself and others that your taste is significant, while no one cares. Opposing to musical 'adulthood' by giving an opinion entirely based around this.

Jazz is the affirmative action of music so yeah, but the guiltridden plebs won't stop eating it.

djent

Are there any contemporary composers he would approve of?

>Marxist
into the trash it goes
>muh culture industry
>muh false consciousness

>being this spooked

Kamasi Washington

Who are you quoting?

I somehow doubt it.

Adorno wrote on jazz before avant-garde/free jazz was around. Adorno's essay on popular music is actually really good, despite the fact I like plenty of popular music. It's an interesting way to look critically at something you normally take for granted.

Honestly, just read it for yourself and try not to have knee-jerk reaction to the fact that he criticizes music you like.
icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/SWA/On_popular_music_1.shtml

>implying free jazz would have changed his mind

Shut up, nerd.

free jazz wasn't commercially successful or mainstream popular so it would have been perfectly fine by Adorno

Wadada Leo Smith

yeah no

BUMP

thanks for bumping my thread bro

np