Pro Tips Thread

I'm a professional musician and producer. I've noticed that a lot of you on here have basically no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the nitty gritty of music and the music industry. Really, most of you are going off feel and what your friends like (or don't like, contrarians). I offer to you my experience, both from the songwriting/recording point of view and the engineering/mixing/producing point of view. I can probably help you make your home recordings or live show at least 10% better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GPrfn8WwLqA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is already a production general, you massive pompous newfag.

im making a weird spoken word album based on 'found field recordings'. how can I get the people that might actually like it to listen to it?

also do I need to do anything like put beats or ambient sounds in the bg? or just pure voice?

thanks for sharing your professional experience bro really helped me out.

Production general threads are bullshit. It's just another soundcloud thread wank off. Oh yeah, and fuck you tripfag.

Have you listened to any Ken Nordine? He had a successful spoken word career and it was some bizarre shit sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=GPrfn8WwLqA

I think there are definitely people that will listen to weird, pure spoken voice. Ambient background stuff can also be really cool.

:D eat a dick

>Really, most of you are going off feel
That is what music boils down to though.

I don't think you are an actual musician if you don't know this.

>I can probably help you make your home recordings or live show at least 10% better.
Sweet!

What are some of your suggestions?

music is feel

your entire thread is invalid

kys

You're not even allowed to post soundcloud links in /prod/

That's what playing music boils down to, yes. But curating what you listen to and draw influences from based on what you feel is cool and what others feel is cool will just make more bad music.

What are some of your questions?

Low cut basically everything if you don't know what you're doing, and start from there. This applies to recording and live performances. Most people have muddy bullshit home recordings because they sang too close to a shitty microphone and then didn't EQ out any low frequencies, or did the same with an acoustic guitar or drums etc etc.

>Low cut basically everything
Hmm I low cut my kick drum and bass, now it sounds like shit.
>they sang too close to a shitty microphone and then didn't EQ out any low frequencies
My Neumann TLM 103 is shitty?

So far your advice is shit. I thought you were a pro?

Hey guys, Brian Eno here. This guy is the joke of the music industry. Don't listen to him, trust me, Brian Eno

>That's what playing music boils down to, yes. But curating what you listen to and draw influences from based on what you feel is cool and what others feel is cool will just make more bad music.
What's bad about it?

Don't low cut things that need low end. Low cutting gets rid of low frequencies in things like vocals and guitars that don't actually produce those frequencies. Cut some of the subs out of your bass (around 80Hz and down) and let the kick be the lowest frequencies.

And no, a 103 isn't a terrible microphone, but you can definitely get shitty sounds with it. I'd prefer a 67 or 87 over that, or something that isn't a Neumann

Nice backpedaling

Nice nitpicking. I said "start from there" assuming most people aren't slack jaw retarded and will know that they don't have to cut low end out of kick drums and basses.

Wrong your assumption was that everyone else here are all clueless morons "except for myself!!!"

I also said "what are some of your questions?" assuming you were actually asking instead of being a cock. Is this going how you planned??

>comes to Sup Forums to stroke his own ego
>acts like a know-it-all
>expects people to actually seek his advice

if you want to genuinely give advice you don't make a thread for yourself to show off and say stuff like "a lot of you have no idea what you're talking about". there are a ton of really knowledgeable producers and musicians on here, you're not special

Post a royalty statement, hotshot.

Nah I don't think telling people to cut low end is showing off. I didn't just show up today and decide 4/5 people on here are clueless, it took me a long time to arrive at that conclusion. I honestly had some hope for a while that a music board contained discussions about songwriting and mixing and mastering and engineering instead of which new top 40 single is the best or which Kanye album is the best album of the 21st century. Or, on the other end of the spectrum, deeply analyzing harsh noise or yet another shitty beat tape or Frankie Cosmos bedroom mouthbreather.

>. Is this going how you planned??
You giving shitty answers?

Yes, it is.

I mean WOW "EQ out unwanted frequencies" that's an incredible bit of advice I couldn't get by 30 seconds of googling "mixing tips"

You sure are a pro! No one else but you, I'm sure!

Why are you here on Sup Forums and not on the Steve Hoffman forums or somewhere that you know would discuss these things?

Because you are not a pro and don't know what you are talking about.

lol couple of armchair music industry pros here

Are you talking about OP?