Syd Barrett

What actually happened to Syd? We all know that you can't actually "overdose" on LSD

Every dose of LSD is an overdose. It irreversibly cracks your mind.

Sure you can, you just can't die from it.

His brain turned to jelly

A trip is an overdose you dolt you're literally poisoning your brain with fungus. But I get what you're saying you can't die from excessive amounts of psychedelics.

The massive amounts of acid accelerated mental health issues he had. I don't think he was ever properly diagnosed but it's pretty much certain he had schizophrenia. Acid doesn't create schizophrenia, and he probably would've began to show symptoms anyways, but the acid made it 10x worse and made it happen sooner. It's like how Brian Wilson started hearing voices after he first took acid. He would've gotten it anyways but the drugs made it start earlier and worse. It brings out and amplifies underlying mental illness in some people. Syd may have actually been able to function better if it weren't for the amount of LSD he did.

TL;DR: it didn't cause it but it certainly made it worse.

Lmao why would you be so desperate to try to participate in a discussion on a topic you know nothing about? I don't get it

You absolutely can. LSD is enough like other drugs that overuse results in diminished returns, so overusing it will gradually result in you needing more and more dosage to have a good time and feeling shitty when in a resting state. LSD is also a long lasting drug, especially the stuff back then which was the real shit; potent and pure. You could drop two tabs a day and never come down and sober up proper if you time it right. A bad trip can also badly fuck you up and cause your inner demons to really outpour which is what happened to Syd. One time he was dosed then locked in a room on a bad trip or something like that.

It was Roger, he Muscled him out , was the posh kid over achiever , Sid (already schizophrenic ) questioned his life for 6 years while pink Floyd went on to Pompey

Interestingly sid never stopped influencing the band, he was a real pschonaught

Stop trying to make 'posh' a worldwide thing.

From what I hear, locking Syd in the closet was actually a pretty common occurrence when he shared a flat with Strom Thogerson and a few other blokes

Those legs tho

Unless you like jump off of a building thinking you can fly.

Sid > The Kinks

>sid

>Roger

>thinking I meant this and not the correct name which is 'Syd'

>It irreversibly cracks your mind.

What do you mean by this?

>You could drop two tabs a day and never come down and sober up proper if you time it right

bullshit. If you take 2 tabs a day it will have half effect the next day and no effect the third day. Psychedelics don't allow addiction

this

he was spooked. LSD is spook heaven or hell.

what does it mean to be 'spooked'?

Someone cap it and post it on /lit/
Give this man his answer

kys

GIVE HIM HIS ANSWER

As others have stated Syd was mentally ill. His career would have been short lived with or without the acid.

this, can user elaborate?

not true there was a singular drug event rick wright said so

I don't understand what you're trying to dispute or claim

He's referring to an interview with Wright where he stated there was one trip in particular that seemed to change Syd, but he also went on to say that it was a very gradual thing and it was just noticeable after this

Psychedelics dissolve beliefs and ideological structures in the mind.

If you're a weak willed person or someone with latent mental health issues they can lead you enter psychosis.

On the otherhand if you're a person of regular mental faculty who takes them in the right setting it can be the most beneficial and mentally healing experience of your life.

Correct
This is just objectively wrong. 5HT2A receptor downregulation lasts a few days and increases tolerance (which lasts a few days), you would need to increase dose every day. I personally one time tried to take 2 tabs two days in a row, it did almost nothing day two.

Most LSD "overdoses" are related to set and setting, but large doses can have actual physical negative effects like hypertension and tachycardia.

beliefs which you take seriously and therefore act upon even if you have no way of being certain of its truth.

The most serious mental condition I have is severe anxiety. Or at least as far as I can tell it is.

Would LSD harm me?

It will most likely cause a bad trip

only take it in good company and people who aren't weird looking for some enlightenment bullshit. once had this weirdo try to freak me out and i beat the shit out of him.

Doing acid while depressed / anxious and or in a dark period will most likely result in a bad trip which worsen the state of your current mental health or fuck you up even more with a drug induced psychosis

Thank you nigger

He didn't "overdose" on acid. He had pre existing psychiatric issues and taking massive amounts of LSD and Psilocybin didn't exactly help. I'm guessing he lived the later part of his life on large amounts of over prescribed psych meds which most likely did even more psychological damage.

nick mason kek

depends

I have severe social anxiety and it doesn't affect my trips because I do it in my own house with never more than one or two friends

schizophrenia + psychedelic drugs is not a good combination

Same for me. I have pretty bad anxiety and I'm diagnosed bipolar but I've never had a bad trip. I've tripped probably at least 100 times on dozens of different psychs and every trip has been decent to absolutely amazing

try shrooms instead

He was sick of Roger's shit and faked being mentally ill to get away from him and also troll him. Shaving his eyebrows and wandering into Abbey Road just so he could shit on Shine On You Crazy Diamond was all part of the act the absolute madman.

The whole story is incredibly sad but his music was awesome. He probably had schizophrenia or something which was intensified by heavy drug use.

>Roger Keith Barrett

I had severe anxiety and i was fine. Set and setting user. My best trip was just me and my girlfriend in a dim room listening to the Microphones. Great time.

Don't listen this fucker
Shrooms are even more uncontrollable than LSD. They can really fuck you up because on shrooms your thought patterns may not be entirely your own, and you may not be able to influence them into a better state of mind. LSD is a much more forgiving substance in that regard, though shrooms last less. It's about what you prefer. However, I do not recommend shrooms for a first time trip, at all. Keep in mind that LSD's been described as a spaceship you are giving control off, while shrooms are a spaceship you are tied to before take off.

If you do wanna experience a pseudopsychedelic experience without risking actual psychedelics, I'd suggest a powerful pot brownie. Closest you'll get to that.

LSD has been shown to accelerate the onset of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

Yeah listen to what this guy says, shrooms are balls to the wall and if you have anxiety/depression it will make you go crazy with super negative thought loops that will be impossible to get out of. It fucked my mind up for a while after I took a bunch of them.

LSD is a much more easy-going/fun drug to take but still if you have depression it's very easy to see everything in an ultra negative view that will be relentless about everything.

Best advice if you do take them is to just try to let go and forget about your anxieties, once I learned to let myself go on shrooms I got waves of euphoria and it ended up being an amazingly positive experience. Still, this shit will change you and if you aren't ready for change or hard truths it will destroy you.

>Psychedelics dissolve beliefs and ideological structures in the mind.
This makes zero sense from a medical (and, frankly, linguistic) point of view and I'd like you to stop pushing your ignorance onto other people.

Psychedelics don't "dissolve" shit, nevermind abstract concepts, and the damage they do to a brain isn't even comparable to the one a night of getting blasted/black-out drunk does.

His solo albums are fucking great. I don't know where psych folk truly originated, but those two albums perfected that deranged tone to a perfect pitch. I have a feeling that Jeff Mangum listened to a lot of his shit, along with the Beach Boys

First time I had a guitar and enough time I decided to learn a few songs and inadvertedly ended up learning half of the songs off of Madcap Laughs plus Opel

And nothing else, to this day

Possibly, set and setting is everything. Anxiety does not discount you from having good trips, but I'd read a lot before anything.
I cannot smoke any amount of marijuana without it bringing my anxieties and insecurities out to a horrible level, but I've taken up to 4 tabs of acid with no bad trips

i wouldnt if i were you
even in good company you can still have a bad trip
unless you're sure you can be distracted from your anxiety for 10 hours or so
but acid basically puts however youre feeling into overdrive, so if youre feeling good you feel great but if youre feeling down about yourself youll feel really shit

overrated middleclass tosser
no discernible talent

This. He wrote some REALLY nice songs; Terrapin, Bike, Dark Globe, Octopus, Golden Hair, Jugband Blues. I like his voice and his style is very appealing to my ears. It's a shame he stopped so soon.

Well let's see YOU write a song then smart guy

If I were to try acid for the first time how should I do it? At home in a comfortable setting?

Open spaces (but not too open, like, a fucking field) would be ideal. If your house is roomy then yeah. If you're like me and live in a fucking shoebox on a third floor, that'd be a bad idea.

Yes

Have people you are comfortable with (if you plan on doing acid with your friends for example). You'll probably sound weird and high as shit if you're going to try and have even a semi-intellectual conversation. Try not to plan too much ahead because you'll always end up doing some other shit but do have different rooms with different "moods" if possible for example my buddy's apartment had a dark room with candles and Bach's violin concertos in the background, a dim green room with rain and storm sounds and his living room bright as the day and some jazz and ambient music. Try different shit, like music or any noise basically, from high information to banging cans to the floor. I once ate an objectively shitty and dry apple on acid and it was the best fucking thing I ate. Normally you don't feel like you could eat food so don't force it but you know you try and you'll see. Don't forget to drink occasionally. I really enjoy stroking shit and smoking cigs on acid. Idk man try shit do it with people you love, maybe have a trip sitter for the first time. Be sure your dad's not a fucking schizo so you don't go insane and have fun I assure you you won't be bored for a second

These, and one bit of advise that took me years to accept, and I know it might sound weird, but here it goes:

Do not be afraid to be silly. Do not try and censor yourself. You'll probably at some point or another have the urge to say or do something that your inner patrol officer will consider to be too below your intellect or might put in danger this "adult" that you've allegedly become. As long as it doesn't put you in danger (please don't go about trying to put knives into power plugs), let it out. Say that stupid thing you want to say. Strike that stupid pose you feel like striking. Want to lay on the floor and say "aghaghaghagh" for half an hour while using a sock as a hand puppet? Fucking DO IT.

Don't try to stop those pleasant, innocent urges, or you'll have a bad time.

Was he even as great as people make him out to be? I mean it seems to me like the guy turned into more of a myth than a genuinely great musician

Both

How do I stop being so weak willed?

thanks guys its a big help