/prod/ - Production General

Prod general.

Post your works in progress on clyp.it and evaluate others works. Give feedback to get feedback. No soundcloud fagging.

Composition and production questions welcome, let's hear what you're working on!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/i1pjrtgn
clyp.it/3q0iln4o
clyp.it/drygnoco
clyp.it/2j2awnb1
clyp.it/pabgkqs4
youtube.com/watch?v=ibCvMVFKh1w
clyp.it/c0ufcjp1
clyp.it/ovonxzng
clyp.it/20po2bww
clyp.it/x2d21fo2
youtube.com/watch?v=M_VdZ8il_Hs
clyp.it/du0mxv1w
clyp.it/jgbldt5q
varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
clyp.it/vkzfsfjx
shuttlebugrecords.com/Pages/shuttleplugs.htm
clyp.it/4zc3mts0
u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6
youtube.com/watch?v=L9JzH6Fd9xw
u-he.com/cms/zebralette
youtube.com/watch?v=G4HCHQteJlk
soniccharge.com/floppybaker
soniccharge.com/forum/topic/433-a-blast-from-the-past
plugin-alliance.com/en/products/spl_free_ranger.html
softube.com/index.php?id=satknob
voxengo.com/product/span/
dmgaudio.com/products_trackcontrol.php
clyp.it/hexfcbzf
clyp.it/vk4d0jvo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ableton session view question:

clyp.it/i1pjrtgn

Thoughts?

so make 2 clips and dont loop the second one

make another clip of just the tail. Then use the clip latching feature to trigger the tail clip after the looping clips stops.

p good like the vibe a lot

imo drums really need more syncopation, maybe something with a little swing off the grid.

I'm guess this won't work the way I wanted it to.

I freezed and flattened all my tracks so my cpu wouldn't overload when performing, the thing is the tails are missing, transitions from clip A to clip B sound unrealistic and "stiff". I thought there would be a way to make audio clips transition in a more organic way but now I realize you can't play two clips of the same track at the same time.

What's the best way to go around this?

if you are always going to go from clip A to clip B, can you just combine the tail of clip A with the beginning of clip B?

Does anybody have tips on creating different moods with different rhythms? I tried Google but got nothing.

Yes, that'd be the best thing I could do, but it'd limit my possibilities when it comes to improvising, I'll see how that works.

I love the middle section. I do think it might be better with some drum variation here and there. Maybe by using filters or something.

i still dont get why neither of those solutions would work

I'm saving this to my computer, this is way too good, loving that voice sampling.

I've been always insecure about singing out of key, right now I'm trying to add voice to my tracks, this mix sucks but I'd want to know if I sound too out of tune.

clyp.it/3q0iln4o

clyp.it/drygnoco

Haven't tracked vocals yet, thoughts on the mix?

There's always auto-tune

I'd really love to learn how to sing in key.

clyp.it/2j2awnb1

it's my first legit try of doing something somehow coherent. still learning how fl studio and my akai mpk2 mini work

Hi David Gilmour.

As for the mix: the snare sounds a bit too roomy/far away, maybe the same for the left guitar sometimes.

2deep4everyone

Tell me everything about compression and where to use it.

I watched a lot of tuts and I think that now I really understand threshold, ratio, attack, release and gain, but I'm not sure when is it necessary. How do I practice this now?

Also, on drums, do I use it on a send where I route all my drum tracks, or do I use it on separate tracks?

I want some good more in-depth tutorial that doesn't tell me the basics and shows me tips and tricks instead.

Hey all, so I've been working on this beat for awhile...my first version was close to five minutes long and the critique I received was it was way too repetitive. I replaced the hi hat with claves changed the rhythm from a trap like sound, the snare with toms, added some reverb, added some more drums, etc. etc. I was hoping to get some feed back on the new version. If you want the original it's on soundcloud, I'll avoid it for now but ask if you want. here is the new version. I guess I should make an account on this lol

clyp.it/pabgkqs4

>clyp.it/2j2awnb1
cool

New guy here using fl

Can someone please tell me how I make a transitioning or what it is called - like the on here youtube.com/watch?v=ibCvMVFKh1w at around 0.28 where theres a lot of claps and then boom - the kick drops in?

What is that called, and how do i replicate it??

Hehe yeah alot of the tone is based on his first solo album, it's just how I play

I like to compress the buss, and sometimes kick as well if it's not sitting right, don't rely on compression to fix it magically its mainly level setting that is your friend.

I do like compression on vocals more than anything, try vintage optical compressor clones like bootsies VBL or LA

Thanks.

i hate ableton as a company they are fucking kikes

>dream core

clyp.it/c0ufcjp1

whatchu dudes think

they probably hate you too, you're an edgelord

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm trying to play live again as a solo show. I want to play guitar and pedal loops but also trigger drum and bass loops in a sampler (without using a computer). Is the Roland Spd-SX the best bet for this? its pretty expensive but I like how you can manipulate the samples and how straight forward it is

clyp.it/ovonxzng

I'd do something with this but mashups are gay and i cbf

enjoyable, but nothing really stood out for me
>Hi David Gilmour.
lol i really enjoy that guitar tone too. i also think the mixing might be a bit too spacious at times, but otherwise i think it's nice. really makes me want to listen to pink floyd lol
very soothing stuff
not terrible but it all sounds to preset-y, if you know what i mean. work on adding some effects and flavor (pads, different or layered drums, add some reverb or delay to may it feel less empty)

just my shitty, unprofessional opinions, take them with however you want

been working on this and not entirely sure how it might sound on high end speakers or headphones. could someone give it a listen and see if it's mixed OK atleast? clyp.it/20po2bww

thoughts? opinions? It's just something I cooked up today, not completed by any means

clyp.it/x2d21fo2

that looks like it's for if you want to trigger each one each time, rather than looping or sequencing them. did you look at an SP-404? a lot of people like that, or an MPC.

pretty good, trent. love some of those sounds, especially that descending kick drum sound at 1:54

damn thats pretty cool

mixing sounds alright to me, the tuba could be more clear tho

thanks, and yeh i plan on fixing the tuba sound clarity

thanks I like it too

spd-sx no good at loops?
Cheers man, only had a quick look at mpcs. Which ones are best for live shows? I want to be able to focus primarily on my guitar playing and singing

are Soviet synthesizers any gud?

youtube.com/watch?v=M_VdZ8il_Hs

clyp.it/du0mxv1w

I redid the mix, mainly the snare, used a pitch program and detuned it to make a little fatter and brought the room mics down, how do yall think it sounds now?

Guys i'm fucking poor

Where can i get plugins for free?

I'm looking for nexus and Omnisphere

probably in the same way that there are good soviet guitars. they exist, but they're a diamond in a sea of shit. there's a reason they didn't persist and become popular already.

s'up /prod/.
i made this stupid piece of shit.
i don't know what's making it clip.
apart from that, feedback?
clyp.it/jgbldt5q

Just exclusively use free ones, there's so many that there's no reason you can't make good music on that alone. Be a madman and try to get crazy sounds out of shitty plugins

is it possible to use the prophet 6 or ob-6 as a midi controller?

I basically used all these plug-ins plus reapers built in ones to make this

With the saturation plugin and more leveling i went from this
clyp.it/drygnoco

to this
clyp.it/du0mxv1w

The Ferric plug-in is kick ass as FUCK

i dig it, feels more full. now i really need to go listen to pink floyd lol

clyp.it/vkzfsfjx

Track inspired by caribou, just want to know if it's alright or I've just put too much work into it

I'm literally using Another Brick in The Wall as the reference track while mixing, it's hard to get the snare that crisp and fat but I feel like it's closer, also used more saturation on the organ and it makes it fucking scream, hard to beat a B3 and a cranked up Leslie

link good free plug ins

it's alright, like the bassline, although the delayed vocals is a bit too much

cool, thank you

ill check them out

Listen up son, literally download all these. They're the best free ones out there. You might not know what they do at first but look up the manuals and videos on youtube, the saturation and compressors literally rival store-bought plugs IMO

all the instruments are in different keys wtf

If you like it nasty

shuttlebugrecords.com/Pages/shuttleplugs.htm

actually gave me an ear/headache :/ sounds mega compressed, mang. what program did you you make it in?

thanks dad

thanks daddy

ableton, i supercompressed it to try and stop the clipping.

also kick could be a lot more punchy, pretty sure vocals go out of tune a bit too.

>clyp.it/jgbldt5q
why the fuck do you bass throughout the entire song? Learn tension and release plz. also the whole 1 chord hit throughout the WHOLE drop is boring as fuck

>i supercompressed it to try and stop the clipping
hmm did you try turning it down in the mixer lol

i tried doing that, only to have what i wanted to be audible not audible.

uhe tyrell is a pretty nice subtractive synth and they gave away a cut down version of uhe bazille but now its only in computer music magazine or beat.de magazine

How many tracks are y'alls songs usually? It'd be dope to see some screenshots of yalls work, I'll start

Reaper like a mofo, I'm the guy posting that pink floyd type stuff

uuuhh, because they are hard as fuck to get outside those countries?

Just installed Reaper. What am I in for?

well, in order to really stop clipping youre gonna have to make some sacrifices. not everything can be the same level of volume. some things will need to be subtle

i think that was me being OCD and subconsciously adding it in, because otherwise i feel it has no impact. I'll find where it needs to be removed. multiple chord hits needed, noted.

then turn down the other things/eq them more

All the tracks currently on this mug

/prod/ give advice about how to produce vocals, the mix is always good without vocals, but once I record them it stops being clean

A decent/good DAW you can have for free (a la winrar)

bring down other instruments/cut out frequencies of other instruments to bring your vocals to the font, cutting frequencies is better than boosting in the long run

a daw with a layered piano roll still dont know how to mess with it

Hours of (((fun))) doing this

To get that snare sound you'll need to pitch the thing up and take most of the reverb off it, the one on ABITW is a lot snappier sounding with less decay (might even be gated to cut the tail off) and the tiniest bit of room sound. Your snare by contrast sounds a lot more slack and it sustains for too long - what you could do is leave a little of that sound in the background for body but lessen its decay, with a higher-tuned version more in the foreground to provide the snap.

You have really improved the organ sound though, I like that a lot, and your guitars are getting there too.

mine are usually less than 9 tracks at one time. mainly cause i make more minimalistic stuff.
also, another song that might be mixed poorly and i could use someone with good headphones/speakers to see how it sounds clyp.it/4zc3mts0

How i have it set is 2 duplicate tracks in the mix, one super compresssed and really boosting the high frequencies, I have it gated as much as possible on the 2 tracks. At this point I'd have to go back and retrack the drums with a better snare, in the room the snare was suuuuuper loose sounding and had a ton of decay from the snares, unfortunately I don't think there's much I can do.

Thanks for the advice tho, I'll give it another shot, I really fucking love to play Hammond tho, it really builds the song up when that Leslie speeds up, recording it was the most fun

Would be good for film soundtracks, but as standalone music need some drums famalam

i understand what you mean, and i even agree to some extent, but drums would really kill the mood im going for

I know, that's what I do, but I need more specific info

if only trent came to prod. would make my life

Yeah man not trying to knock it or anything I just always listen for drums first, it could really work as an atmosphere for something

oh yeh i got what you meant. much appreciated, brother

Here's some free plugins from 'elite' companies rather than randos so you know they're gonna be good. For anyone interested:

For analog polysynth here's a free Juno-60 emulation. U-he is the best at analog synth emulation by far:

u-he.com/cms/tyrelln6
youtube.com/watch?v=L9JzH6Fd9xw

If you want digital tones - think glassy bells and atmospheric soundscapes, try u-he's zebralette:
u-he.com/cms/zebralette
youtube.com/watch?v=G4HCHQteJlk

Sonic Charge Cyclone is an exact emulation of an 1980s sampler, you can directly record stuff from a microphone into it and the pitch interpolation, filters and envelopes are unique. It uses virtual floppy disks and you can create your own here soniccharge.com/floppybaker by dropping samples in.
Would absolutely recommend a midi controller for this - I assign the lowest notes on the keyboard to the left/right/yes/no/enter functions for super fast operation.

Get it here: soniccharge.com/forum/topic/433-a-blast-from-the-past

EQ: plugin-alliance.com/en/products/spl_free_ranger.html

Saturation: softube.com/index.php?id=satknob

Spectrum Analyzer: voxengo.com/product/span/

Mid/side-width-phase-pan-level control: dmgaudio.com/products_trackcontrol.php (aphex twin recommends DMG audio btw)

clyp.it/hexfcbzf

I'd like to know if I'm making hip hop correctly.
Please help

How to get rid of background static when recording acoustic guitar? Do you turn the mic down and just have a quiet mix or is there a way to get rid of background static/noise completely?

Id have to hear it to tell you man, is it posted?

What kind of Mic and Preamp are you using, if you're going into an interface like a focusrite scarlett I find the onboard preamps are noisy past 2 oclock, so I use an external preamp and usually set the focusrite pre's very low if not all the way turned down

who here /audacity/?

Audacity is for editing samples

no I use it as a daw
It's legit

How does that work ?

I use a Shure SM57 mic and a Scarlett 2i2. I'm not sure what you mean by the preamp; how would I use an external preamp instead of the one onboard?

What are the easiest DAWs to use besides Logic and GarageBand? I love those, but can't afford a Mac.

so im trying to filter multiple things at once so i put a filter on a send and routed a couple tracks to it. problem is the audio is still going. the filter is playing along with the original sound if you know what i mean. the tracks are still going but the filtering is happening in the back ground. do i really have to group these tracks just to do this shit?

hi i just torrented ableton, where should I start with this shit? any helpful links or something? where can i get good drum samples and shit?

fucking around with a new sample pack. thoughts?

clyp.it/vk4d0jvo