"If you can go through life without having to depend on anybody than you've had a successful life." My dad told me that...

"If you can go through life without having to depend on anybody than you've had a successful life." My dad told me that. Thoughts?

Im assuming he hatched you from an egg and raised you from birth, your dad is full of dog shit

OP, is pic your dad?

If you didn't have to, you've done well.
An under appreciated skill is knowing when and how to ask for help, though.

better call Spiderman.

Stupidest shit ever. You just lived a lonely sad life and were in denial the entire time. We all depend on someone.

rolling for this

but that's denim, not spandex.

>Thoughts?
Nah.
That statement didn't take much thought.
Your dad would not be confused with an intellectual. Furthermore, he is full of shit. I'm all for independence, but I don't think your dad has a clue of what that means.

what is a successful life?

>If you can go through life without having to depend on anybody than you've had a successful life.

Well, this means no one is sucessful as you depended on your caretaker/guardians/parents during infancy. Unless you're suggesting you were raised by wolves.

Furthermore, the skills, knowledge, and other attributes developed by your parents relates directly to your sucess as an adult. Others may have to depend on people in their adult life precisely because they were unable to depend on their guardians as children.

The smug thanklessness forgets the well-known maxim "no man is an island unto himself." We are all part of an interdependant community and we should each accept help and give help where it is most needed. Your father's sentiments are deluded, thankless, and wrong.

I don't know.

Jokes on you. I have a happy life and i've have no tricks or hoes to deal with.

Did he mean from the point you were 18 or from when you were an infant? I just don't see a toddler surviving on their own without relying on someone. What about when you are 90 and can't whipe your own ass anymore?

If you think about it we don't really get that many years of near total self reliance.

So everyone is a failure then by that logic? Depending on someone doesn't mean leech off of them, you can depend on your friends for advice, your significant other for emotional support, your doctor for medical advice and treatment. Just because someone isn't a NEET ass Weeaboo doesn't mean they don't depend on people.

Your dad's a fucking idiot who tries to disguise his lack of wisdom with empty, retarded phrases.
The fact that you actually need other people to point this out to you, means that you're probably pretty fucking stupid as well.

>Thoughts?
My thoughts are that I'm sorry formyou that you had a retard for a parent. I hope your mother's genes somehow balanced you out, but based on the fact that you posted this shit on Sup Forums, it looks like you lucked out there too.

>what is a successful life?

Hoarding more money and wealth than everyone else of course. Then finally being buried in a giant shiny golden pyramid with all your belongings/wives/servants.

Like father, like son...

I think everyone is taking this too literally. His dad probably just wanted to inspire him to get a fucking job and not leech off him until he was thirty.

you better fucking believe it

How to suceed in life

>Make others respect you as you respect them
>No matter if they want or not

Respect is important

He's partially right, but as I've matured I've realized that is dangerous thinking.

There's a great deal of dignity in living that way, no doubt about it, but I've come to realize that it is essentially "lower class thinking."

Hear me out.

What do the rich do? They use their family's wealth, their connections, leverage debt and assets, whatever they need to do in order to accumulate different forms of wealth or power and generally obtain success. They have most things to excess, and they hang around people with that same excess, so there's little harm in moving it around between themselves on a whim.

But the lower classes can't do that. Their resources are exceptionally finite. They resent those that need what they have. It's greater competition for fewer resources. So all of a sudden relying on others becomes a sin. Leveraging all the means at your disposal becomes absolutely taboo, often labeled "unmanly" because it wasn't all done on their own. That's lower class resentment of virtually any success beyond extreme luck.

That's my idea anyway. I might just hate my own circumstances. In any case, you should probably not give a shit about your parents' ideals of success.

I think the dad meant it in a way that you should not leach off of your partners income/ government money.

>"If you can go through life without having to depend on anybody than you've had a successful life." My dad told me that. Thoughts?
>than you've had a successful life
>than

Your dad is illiterate.

this is where it's at

Sounds like your dad is going through a divorce.

Like it or not, your lifestyle would be completely impossible (assuming you live in a developed society, with internet :^), without being dependent on others. Other people build and maintain the infrastructure on which you rely to be productive yourself. There might be an argument to be made that part of the reason that less-developed places remain so is because people devote themselves so fiercely to themselves, not caring for work that does not directly benefit them... Not sure about that last part; just a passing thought.

If we're talking about financial success and business you defiantly need other people. There no way around it. No man is an island.

So you grow your own food, produce your one electricity and invented the Internet?