Tube amp busted

Not sure what kind of response I'll get, however:

Got a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (Pic related), I've had it for 10 years. Today I go to play and I can't get any sound out of it. The pilot light turns on, but other than that it isn't working.

I think it's the tubes, they are still glowing but from what I've gathered, that doesn't mean much. I've never changed them FYI. Does this make sense based on what I described? I need it working ASAP while spending the least amount of cash, a set of new tubes is all I can afford so if that doesn't work I'm stuck.

have you checked the fuse?

Haven't checked. But would the amp still turn on if the fuse had blown?

Because like I said the amp still turns on. Thx for reply

it could ... I had that problem with my Peavey, jewel light came on and tubes glowed but no sound. replaced the fuse ant it worked like a charm

hit it like Fonzie did
trust me it'll work

Hmm okay thanks for the suggestion and the anecdote. Just checked the fuse and it doesn't look blown, doesn't mean it isn't the culprit though, I'll keep it in mind.

probably a fuse or cap

Ask them

couldn't find yours but this is from a Fender Blues Jr with 2 fuses.
presumably one for the pre amp and another for the power amp.
If you have a small tester, just check the continuity from each end on the fuse

oh and tubes will usually crackle and make pretty ugly noise before they go.

also check the connection to the speaker itself with a tester

Yeah the amp was still sounding good so I was skeptical that the tubes were bad but didn't know what else it could be.

But if if it is a blown fuse doesn't it generally mean that a tube in the power/preamp section is probably bad?

Have you tried giving it a wash with some fairy liquid?

Ctrl v

If either one or both glows bright red like the sun they are red plating. Typically you get a bunch of random noise and no signal output, plus a blown fuse.

blown fuse could be a power surge from the wall. could be the input signal was too high.
or maybe just playing at 11
I was blowing fuses because my speakers were wired in series instead of parallel

if that all checks out, test the input jack and wires leading to it.
also look for blown caps, or any burn marks on your board.

Have you got a soldering iron?

I've never soldered anything in my life, probably don't want to make this my first project haha.

Perfect. Have you got a screw driver?

OP here with an update

Plugging the guitar into the "Power Amp In" in jack (see image), which is the return of the effects loop, gives me signal through the amp.

Does this mean that the preamp tubes are the problem here??

not necessarily
it just means you have narrowed your problem down to the preamp

Hi Jeff,

I don’t have much experience troubleshooting amps, as I’ve had very good luck with all of mine, until just recently. I own a Fender Blues Junior, which is a great little amplifier. Recently, though, it died at a rehearsal. It made a crackling sound, then no sound. The power indicator lamp on the control panel lights, preamp and power tubes all glow, but no sound at all. I’ve tried unplugging and quickly replugging the instrument input and speaker cable, turning all knobs, and de-pressing and releasing the fat switch. Still no sound at all. With this fairly limited information, do you have any thoughts as to what the issue could be? I don’t abuse the amp, but I do set the master volume at 4 or so (11 o’clock) to get a fairly loud clean sound. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Keep smilin’,
Bill Hruz

Is any of this relevant?

Sounds pretty similar to my issue, I ctrl+c/ctrl+v the text and found the article. Thanks for your help.

Play on, my friend…

Jeff Bober

Good point, however, the preamp tubes are much easier to find for an amp like this in my experience, so swapping these is something I can try quickly to find out if it is the preamp tubes.

>I've had a tube amp for 10 years
>I've never changed the tubes FYI
>I think it's the tubes

Yeah, you're obviously a fucking idiot.

yes, your bypassing the preamp section. replace your preamp tubes

go get in your containment thread you dumb fuck

post yfw he swaps a 12AT7 with a 12AX7 and fries his amp