/daily/ - "new essentials chart day" edition

It's the 5th and/or 6th and/or 7th of January.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Most importantly, listen to music, why don't ya?

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/entropica
ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/blood-bone-music
youtube.com/watch?v=hbsjqHKvo-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FbZaSGfYb8E
youtube.com/watch?v=vuyEgvCVYd8
youtu.be/GeEVla7PVH8
last.fm/user/audiointerface
folkways.si.edu/jerry-silverman/beginning-folk-guitar-an-instruction-record-for-beginners/american-folk-music-instruction/album/smithsonian
folkways.si.edu/lesson-plans/smithsonian
lastfm.paddez.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>We have almost spent a year in a post-Bowie world

Where did the time go?

first for Joy Division

Where's the smug doggy nose pic when I need it?

o maybe I should post here.

Finished another album! New new album. Been very motivated lately. Links to my two new releases, hope you enjoy!

ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/entropica
ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/blood-bone-music

Why do people upload shitty transcodes to soulseek? I can understand some people not knowing any better, but who is the person who decided to convert a 192kbs file to a 320kbs one? Are there people that maliciously do this cause i don't see any other reason why they would want to do it. All it does is create a bigger filesize without improving the quality in any way. angery

They use it to make their accounts look better so that private sharers will add them.

what's your process for making the covers?

the man's been on my backlog for quite some time

will definitely check him out sometime soon
kinda worried about him desu

we were in the middle of being a meme pair in Rod's tourney when he left

he didn't say a word

I hope he's okay
no one ;_;

It also spreads from user to user when they don't know any better, it can also occur from poorly ripping/converting files. Just download flac from soulseek, they will pretty much always be legit.

Depends on the cover. I make digital art by taking photographs, then manipulating them through regular photo editing and databending, rinse and repeat until I get a result I like.

Considering you asked that, it is oddly fortunate that I decided to save the process of making the cover for Entropica. I don't normally do that.

>Ramshackle Glory - One Last Big Job

Their swan song. They are not re-inventing the wheel here, nor are they taking a note-worthy approach to songwriting in concept. The execution, however, is spot on. You know that you are doing something right when you make a listener who is unfamiliar with a band (me) sentimental over said band's departure.

It's folk punk that isn't ashamed of itself. It's also emotional as hell. Musical comfort food.

also why is inkscape exporting images in such bad quality

Damn, i didn't even know that there was a secret club of soulseek users.
Thanks for the tip i'll start doing that now.

whoops replied to myself meant to be for

Pretty much every file sharing community has an elitist muh sekrit club aspect to it, unfortunately. In some ways it's justified (because you obviously don't want the feds to come and bust down your door and you don't want to let people in who add nothing) but some people/places take it way too far.

Soft Machine - Third (1970)
>canterbury scene, jazz-rock, jazz fusion

Cool prog, made even cooler by the fact that there is absolutely no guitar. The bass work is fucking insane, you could absolutely fool me and tell me the bass is a guitar, it shifts through so many different tones and it often takes on the leading role that the guitar usually has, virtuosic solos and all. The organs and the drums are great as well, the organ is often fed through layers of distortion to achieve a leading sound as well, the interplay between the bass and organ here is probably the album's best instrumental aspect. However, Wyatt is the album's driving force, arguably. He writes and nearly exclusively performs the album's best track, "Moon in June", an epic, heavy, and incredible prog tracks. The drumming is also absolutely insane, Wyatt's skills as a drummer seem to be kind of overlooked. Hopper's "Facelift" is the album's lowest point, there's some great tape work and the heaviness is nice, but it's a fucking mess, there's no method to the madness, which really goes against the album's other three tracks. The remaining tracks are nice fusion tracks, not as great as "Moon in June" and not as insane as "Facelift", but wonderful and impressive in their own right. I shouldn't have put this off for so long, it's pretty damn good.

3.0+

Tommy Emmanuel - Endless Road (2004)
>contemporary folk

The dude's definitely really great on the guitar, but you can tell that this was put out on Steve Vai's label. It's just pointless virtuosic noodling. The album has a nice relaxing atmosphere, and it's certainly better than the other wank you'd expect from a label with the specialty of "Guitar virtuosos and any kind of rock artists with high virtuosity", but there's absolutely no emotion here whatsoever. It's a slog. A pretty slog, but an hour of this shit gets old /real/ fast.

2.0+

Dave Bixby - Ode to Quetzalcoatl (1969)
>singer/songwriter, psychedelic folk

Brutally intense folk. Bixby doesn't go as all out as someone like Simon Finn does, but his slow-burning intensity is incredibly uncomfortable and really beautiful in a way. It never quite reaches up to the heights of it's wonderful opener, "Drug Song", and the sound is a bit one-note, but it's a damn fine album regardless. Frankly, I expected something more out there, but I'm definitely not complaining about how good this.

3.0+

Eh, they've definitely improved nowadays.

Meshuggah - I
I? more like V hAHAHAHA its shit its just one long note with twenty kick drums, guitar strums and bass plucks a second and shouting whoever recc'd me this is a sucker
nice polyrhymic snare tho
Standouts: I

Lil Ugly Mane - UNEVEN COMPROMISE
jesus christ this is genious
literally changed the way I think about everything thanks to that sample about light slowed down
could totally turn to a 10
Standouts: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING THE RELEASE OF THE "LITTLE SUNSHINE" E.P, bracket underline circle square (can't post or else it thinks its spam)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
WTF WHY DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT THIS THIS IS FUCKING GREAT I was going into this expecting it to be lame until freebird but its actually great and it sounds like Rock Band, I loved that game.
Standouts: Free Bird, I Ain't The One, Simple

Feels like it was yesterday. I remember everyone thinking the tweet was fake because there were so many fake tweets like that recently. Then his son tweeted about it and the world fell apart.

holy shit

>moon safari
>9
ha
ha
ha
ha
ha
ahh

youtube.com/watch?v=hbsjqHKvo-Y

youtube.com/watch?v=FbZaSGfYb8E

sup

hi nerd whats ur fav lil wayne track

idk

Good morning /daily/!

Returning to Jandek today probably :)

is it this one youtube.com/watch?v=vuyEgvCVYd8

Erica Pomerance - You used to think
>Psychedelic Folk, avant-folk
Definitely an interesting listen. Sounds like the female child of daevid allen and robert wyatt. The band members simple, rythmical playing manage to balance out the chaotic singing. I liked this very much, 4/5.

Flied Egg - Dr. Siegel's fried egg shooting machine
>Japanese progressive rock
Some tracks are pretty nice synth prog, although only two songs on this album is memorable. The cheesy parts really bring it down.
It's a self-aware album with plenty of good points. Might be up your alley if you like synth prog. Even then, there are likely better things to listen to. 3.0/5

toshy...
listen to sleep yaw

why? is that your favorite?

no but i feel like dying, do you?

i see. do i? not particularly.

:{}

ok... i will in time

you will live

is lil wayne the logical conclusion of music

youtu.be/GeEVla7PVH8

i mean, he likes kenny g, and AIR is basically the kenny g of electronic music (better than ken the man, granted, but still)

you would probably love antena - camino del sol, idk. nice score for uneven compromise btw :}

Hey I was listening to Art Ensemble of Chicago - People in Sorrow and some sounds reminded me of Duos for Doris so maybe you should check it out. It's jazz so totally not the same but I have the feeling you'll like it.

this looks cool! I think ill start this today.

last.fm/user/audiointerface

there's my last.fm, if you want to rec something, ill honestly take anything

>hip hop
Lil Ugly Mane - Uneven Compromise
Skepta- Konnichiwa
Busdriver- Perfect Hair
Three 6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez
Player1 & Bloody Bones - Crime Rate Sky High

For the rest of your stuff you'd probably be best off asking transgod; he'll visit sometime today.

ok then

Oh and also welcome :) we're always happy to have new people

thanks

ok sure i'll check it out thanks 0:

bring out the memes lads

To whomever wanted to start American Primitivism guitar - there's a record on Folkways about the very, very basics of American folk guitar which might be of interest to you. Not sure what level you're on right now, but this is super beginner level.

There are also two records called "Folksinger's Guitar Guide", which I didn't listen to yet, but might also be good for you.

Make sure you read the liner notes.

folkways.si.edu/jerry-silverman/beginning-folk-guitar-an-instruction-record-for-beginners/american-folk-music-instruction/album/smithsonian

I often convert from FLAC down to 192 ogg for my phone, and then just to fuck with people on SLSK I convert it up to 320 or V0 MP3s and share on SLSK.

das me

I wouldn't say I'm at the basics of the stuff but I'm sure this and the other records can provide useful info on techniques and whatnot

thanks for the stuff, Hamps

based Folkways at it again

Yeah, Folkways is fucking amazing. Check out the lesson plans as well. They're aimed at teachers really, but they have all the info you need to learn stuff yourself without attending a class room. There are plenty for many cultures, which can be incorporated into American Primitivism.

folkways.si.edu/lesson-plans/smithsonian

Oh fucc. This is sicc. Definitely gonna learn a lot from here for sure, American or not. Fucking Folkways. Too good.

oi boi you owe a rec for the tourney, you advanced to the second round

c o m m e n c e

do herby and I first pls

happening - will report back tomorrow

>he likes kenny g
oh
ohh

hi i folowd u

SO EPICCC

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

that's my line

Morning /daily/!

fug I didn't make it in time

needs more Breeders desu

>Persona

I'm in no mood to review a film, and I don't want to embarrass myself by trying at the moment.

I will say that I deeply resonated with the themes of this film, but I just couldn't appreciate the story at face value. In other words: It's communicating an incredibly real and poignant message, but the means of which it communicates said message was far from seamless.

Also trying out a new file extension to see if the exported image would any better.

hey folks, my trip used to be andrew karate, i haven't posted here in like a couple of years

i've been feeling like my taste is stagnating and want to get on this again, so today marks the beginning of a new /daily/ era for me (i also have a million-album backlog so this should help that go away)

ayy I remember you! welcome back.

ty! i think im gonna use this trip from here

Sweet.

NV - Binasu

Tera Melos guy, right?

probably? i was really into patagonian rats for a while

ot: arca - entrañas is some real spooky music

im here again, whaddup. listening to radiohead atm

also, how do u get the calendar?

>I like this
(pic related)

am i in the wrong thread?

depends. is it music? then yes, clearly.

at least its trying 2 b. YOU should check it out! i'll fuck off

Anomlisa is legitimately one of my favorite movies

bitch i might

bitch i think u might like it

>new essentials chart day
what a coincidence i actually made a new essentials chart today!
because some user tried something similar a few days ago but apparently had no clue
but it would need to be structured and possibly even bigger because as is it's the same useless shit

it was k

Fish says he's temporarily banned from posting for having shit opinions ;)

everyone not doing normie friday night things raise their hand

new ismfof single is depressioncore wrapped in scenecore
Hot Cross is better than Saetia
The Death Defying Unicorn is a metaphor for never letting go of your dreams or something
Tilian is my fave DGD vocalist
Beyond the Fleeting Gales is not a letdown like i once thought
Air is my listening habits are more homogenous now than they ever were fsr

Why do so many people hate Robbie Basho's mountain man voice? It's magical.

i did normie thursday and i'm doing normie saturday tho so i'm exempt

Went for lunch with poppa pig and went to a bar after where I talked to an old dude who escaped from East Germany, was pretty dope.
What's new with you hooligans?

Hello, do you like pigs and/or Tim Buckley

What, name 7 people who think this.

yeah both are good if you ask me

same old stuff, mainly listened to playlists last week

I am closing in on 1000 ratings.
What album should I listen to for my 1000th listen

why do you think this matters

>the sound is a bit one-note
perfectly describes what stopped me from loving this album

I wonder if there's an archive of that thread.

The Gerogerigegege - Hell Driver

I just started with lastfm again and forgot how to make these thingies
Halp?

tapmusic.net

for something a bit fancier:
lastfm.paddez.com

the placebo comp doesnt even have the best tracks from Battle For the Sun
cant say anything about their other albums

>Fuuka ASMR - Squishy Moments
Man this thing is super fucking weird, but it has an allure to it.

First off, I am in love with the cover art. I don't know why, but I keep staring at it, trying to figure out the context.

The music itself is, according to the bandcamp tags, post-nightcore and "spermwave", whatever the fuck that means.
Post-nightcore is actually quite an apt description since the first two tracks sound like a sped up and out of tune Hatsune Miku.
The production is really unlike anything I've heard and is hard to describe.

The third track is literally a hentai ASMR sample combined with a constant, layered synth pulse in the background and what sounds like slime dripping from the ceiling. I'm not going to lie, it's strangely arousing.
I hear new things every time I listen to it.

The final track is some calm, twinkling synth goodness to completely offset the previous tracks.
I don't know what to make of it overall, but it's definitely interesting. I hope this artist can make for a compelling full length in the future.

Also, fun fact, I believe this artist is featured on the same label that gfr is on (that's right kiddo I'm on to you).

>Toiret Status - ◎omaru◎
Yeah, this really isn't for me at all.
The producer is no doubt talented and their arrangements were interesting, but the stuff they sample is just plain headache inducing and not in a good way.

If there's one thing that I cannot stand in footwork, it's looped and pitch shifted vocal samples repeated ad nauseam.

For the most part, this record is discordant and everything sounds off-key, which I'm sure was intentional. It's like a bad acid trip.
I really did try to give it a few chances, but I never want to hear it again.

>First off, I am in love with the cover art. I don't know why, but I keep staring at it, trying to figure out the context.
looks like a screenshot from madoka