ITT: fuck you, I love it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iauaDVVPGW8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just got this for Christmas. Really digging it so far, I view it as a return to the ultra-rhythmic type songs on Remain in Light.

Op this is my favorite album by them. For some reason I have Flowers associated with a long drive down a packed highway in the middle of a 100 degree Alabama summer with the most infuriating squeaky clutch. And despite that it's one of my favorite songs period.

Music aside, honestly some of the worst album art in all of music history.

little monkey fella

It makes me think of that dumb ass barenaked ladies chimpanzees song...

Facts of Life basically says were are just glorified monkeys so that's probabyl what inspired the cover.

Also Big Daddy sounds great and loud. The 5.1 versions I have removed a lot of the compression and dynamics from the original album which is sad

This album feels like a continuation of ITCOTCK and I like it a lot

They could have chosen a better way to represent that than this fucking monstrosity lmao

This album follows the path of a man after a nuclear apocalypse who creates a tribe and becomes a slave to a different nation
>Blind
World ends, loud sudden saxophones simulate bombs exploding
Signs disappearing and turning invisible is symbolism for society collapsing
>Mr. Jones
Our protagonist miraculously survives the apocalypse, it's his lucky day and everyone is his friend and on his side despite the fact that he is described to be extremely average, this shows that he's now a leader of a group
Bongos and more tribal instruments are introduced here instead of Blind to show that now society has been reduced to tribes
>Totally Nude
Jones is enjoying the lack of society and rules along with his tribe, they have abandoned the idea of clothes and mess around all day leading to some of them dying "Dive to the bottom and we never come up" after a boat crash is described shows their freedom leads to recklessness and death
>Ruby Dear
Events from Totally Nude wake the tribe up to the burdens they face without civilization, they attempt simulating civilization as it was and it fails, revolutions ensue "Down the street where the bonfires glow / Looking like they lost control" also arguably worst track on album desu, we also learn on this track that our protagonist's full name is Johnny Jones
>(Nothing But) Flowers
The tribe tries again to start civilization and is more, well, civilized, in that they begin to rebuild over the ruins of our past civilizations, this track is thoughts on these said ruins and how Jones wishes the apocalypse never happened
>The Democratic Circus
Different tribe who's more advanced because they didn't fuck around like his tribe did comes along and absorbs Jones' tribe, they introduce the Democratic process and they all think it's ridiculous because the concept has been lost to them for so long that it seems foreign and unfamiliar to them, they give the tribe goods and services to persuade them to stick around
Cont.

It was also 1988. Maybe cover art styles changed then

damn i always see this one but for some reason never pick it up

Are you making this up? put a lot of thought didnt you

KISS

Say what you will, but I still love a good Ace Frehley guitar solo: youtube.com/watch?v=iauaDVVPGW8

>The Facts Of Life
Tribe adjusts to life in their new nation, they think freedom was better to live under and are enslaved by the nation they live in
>Mommy Daddy You And I
What's left of the tribe attempts to escape the empire by driving as north as they can so the nation will be discouraged to follow them, a common practice of people attempting to escape the empire
Driver is an agent of the nation secretly and takes them back to the empire instead of taking them north
>Big Daddy
Tribe cries the way home because of capture, tribe member gorges on capitalism when they return to make herself feel better with new world money "Old money doesn't matter now", eventually what's left of tribe encouraged by this tribe member goes on crime spree to take things for themselves "Sneak in and out / Don't get caught running 'round"
>Bill
Jones renamed himself to Bill so as to save his reputation and falls in love with a woman and goes on crime spree with her "I'm not afraid of Jesus Christ / Who cares about the price we pay" after Bill buys a gun and she fixes her dress
>Cool Water
They become caught and sent to a concentration camp where they perform manual labor for the nation, this manual labor is intended on fixing the world and restoring it back to new "Work till holes are filled" Bill wonders why they chose to enslave them if they are only humans as well "But their skin is the same as yours... The same blood as you and me" They live in poor conditions and must share resources "Someone is sleeping / In my bed"
>Sax and Violins
Bonus track so not essential to story, either way it's about them adjusting to life in the work camp and falling into depression and dreaming of escaping the camp and feel they did nothing wrong and sees it more as the fault of the nation "And we are criminals that never broke no laws / And all we needed was a net to break our fall"

At least that's my interpretation of the album

Yeah, you like?

Still give it a couple spins every year or so.

bump