Why is the USA good at Olympic sports but shitty at the sport with the largest talent pool in the world...

Why is the USA good at Olympic sports but shitty at the sport with the largest talent pool in the world, football aka soccer.

Other urls found in this thread:

medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:all-time
youtube.com/watch?v=7sRocdJL99M
youtube.com/watch?v=GG-jMjvnua8
usyouthsoccer.org/media_kit/keystatistics/
statista.com/statistics/227428/number-of-soccer-players-usa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because everyone else needs a sport to feel good at.

FIFA actually checks for roids.

Because the sport is shit and we don't play it here.

football and basketball take all the nigs

Most people in US have money to play in other expensive sports.

In soccer all you really need is a ball.

Dude, the whole fucking world enjoys it, maybe you could give it a try?

When the USA finally wins a World Cup, it'll be all over for the rest of you people.

The soccer/football programs suck dick here and it's basically regarded as a sport for youngsters/girls.

So you won't ever see >us winning anything.

Meaning that since everyone plays it it takes huge fucking amounts of skill to stand out as the best.

>Most people in US have money to play in other expensive sports.

>In soccer all you really need is a ball.

t.amerifat

just think of how btfo they are per capita

On that note, when will the rest of the world's women catch up?

Because it is for G&Gs

It's a game for young children (< 10) here. They love to let off steam by running around aimlessly. After that, they tend to move on to more interesting and rewarding sports.

Soccer is a rich persons sport in the US. It's the sport rich white kids play when they get cut from football and baseball. Soccer has the same player base as say lacrosse or hockey.

Not suitable for broadcast in the US, not enough breaks for commercials etc. It's a very different experience, it's very on the spot and reliant on the players' own decisions. In most American sports the coach changes the players and tactics all the time, no way to do that in football (soccer)

this, if you're a guy and you play soccer at the age of 10, that's normal. if you're still playing it in high school, people will laugh at you and call you a faggot. every kid with promising athletic talent is encouraged to switch to another sport when they show they might actually be good at sports. unless you're a girl, in which case nobody really cares and you can keep playing the pussy sport if you really want to.

becuase people need to run to play

americans hate run

Soccer is literally a children's sport here, always has been and always will be. Most kids move on to contact sports by their teens.

Soccer is for girls

>Soccer is a rich persons sport in the US. It's the sport rich white kids play when they get cut from football and baseball. Soccer has the same player base as say lacrosse or hockey.
>implying

Almost every middle class suburban parent puts their 6 y/o in a YMCA soccer program. It's a kid's game here.

don't make fun of the disabled like this please

Here is the keywords here. Do you understand that you guys are the odd ones in this story? You can say that soccer is for third world countries but that is simply not true unless you consider spain, italy, germany, the netherlands etc.. to be third world countries. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. I know you guys are the first in a lot of things but when it comes to sport you guys look silly trying to downplay soccer's importance. I'm not trying to hate on the USA i like you guys culture but when it comes to sports.you guys are too narrow minded.

because you actually need skills to play other than doing drugs and get stronger

It's just the culture, I personally like football/soccer but until American culture actually respects the sport as a whole you won't get talent or resources going into the teams.

correction its a women's sport

>President Barack Obama welcomed them to the White House. The president stated, "This team taught all America's children that playing like a girl means you're a badass." He then amended, saying perhaps he should use a different word choice, and said, "Playing like a girl means you're the best."

Yes but by the time you get to middle school or high school which is our feeder system for pro sports, the best athletes got to football or basketball, then baseball if the can afford it.

What's left goes to soccer or if thry can afford it, sports where you are paying your own way like lacrosse, golf, swimming...

>Here is the keywords here.
Here is the only place the matters.
>Do you understand that you guys are the odd ones in this story?
We're America, everyone else is odd by default.
>You can say that soccer is for third world countries but that is simply not true unless you consider spain, italy, germany, the netherlands etc.. to be third world countries.
That's right, if they're not America then they're not first world, we're the greatest and nobody else is even close.
>Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.
America runs the world and soccer isn't even top 10 here, so no it's not.
> I know you guys are the first in a lot of things but when it comes to sport you guys look silly trying to downplay soccer's importance.
Nah, you guys are the silly ones for thinking that you matter, when really only America
matters.
>I'm not trying to hate on the USA i like you guys culture but when it comes to sports.you guys are too narrow minded.
You latch onto soccer because you're not good at real sports so you want to tell yourself that you're good at something so of course we're going to laugh at you.

unlike other sports, the immigrants they import to play for them are mexicans and central americans, which are horrible

People under 30 like it. In 20 years almost everyone here will like it, and it will be the 3rd most popular sport. At that point, the US will be a legit 2nd-tier soccer country like England.

non-americans always think we're nuts when we say that if we cared about soccer, we'd be the best nation in the world at it.

the WWC is the proof that we're right.

we don't put much resources into men's soccer compared to other nations, and we're still a team that should make it to the round of 16 at the world cup. we put world-class levels of resources into women's soccer compared to other nations, and we're the greatest nation to ever play it.

if we tried playing soccer seriously instead of other sports, we'd dominate, and then we'd run the show and make it more american. is that what you really want, rest of the world? to make soccer become an american thing where the rules and culture become something we like better? I'm pretty sure you don't, so you should hope we never start taking it seriously.

Our culture sucks when it comes to other sports. We try to imitate the USA(the image that we have from the USA) only trying to give props to those who earn gold like the USA. People here don't even follow the Olympics sports. They are only nationalist pricks waiting for someone to win gold and say "I'M PROUD TO BE BRAZILIAN BECAUSE X WON A GOLD MEDAL" but when someone earns a silver medal they say "fuck off you loser" they think the USA does the same. Only soccer gets respect here. That's why we don't stand out in other sports. We have a mentality we didn't earn.

They've been saying this for decades, it's never actually happened because the young people who like it graduate to other sports when they get older instead of causing a generation shift.

The problem is we don't privatize youth development. We are starting to move that way through AAU and other such programs, but largely development is through academic systems and funded by donations from parents UNLESS it is football or basketball which often have to bring in enough money for to fund all school sports.

This leads to football, basketball, and cheerleading being the most important sports.

Soccer pretty much loses the good poor kids to basketball, good middle class kids to baseball, and good everyone to handegg.

Like baseball and basketball?

>Why is the USA good at Olympic sports
They're not, mate. medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:all-time

>Brazilians badly imitate Americans in non-Brazilian sports
>Americans badly imitate Europeans in non-American sports
it all checks out

FIGHT
AND
WIN

I believe you guys can be very good at soccer but I think you underestimate the fact that the talent pool of soccer is insanely huge and it's not htat easy to be a Ronaldo or Messi

American women are the best at soccer though

LMAO at any """"""man"""""" who plays the """"""sport"""'''' though

this desu

This is pretty dumb. The sports don't scale with population. The population doesn't filter into different sports, you just have MORE people playing football, baseball, and basketball.

They are absolute trash though. I saw this game and it was as if they'd never heard of the offside rule.

Apparently apehoop, eggball and swinging a bat while being fat is something americans call real sport, only because they allow them to take commercial breaks every 5(FIVE) fucking minutes.

medals per capita measure who's efficient
total medal count measures who's the best

that'd be like saying australia is the greatest country in world wars due to low casualties per capita or something

Because muricans are insecure betas so they need to play sports no one else plays to avoid getting BTFO

Our sports evolved with TV and professional sports were a joke until around 1940. Even as recently as 1970s NBA players would get jobs as used car salesman or something during the off season.

>le arrogant, ignorant american meme

Because few of us give a shit about soccer. Many play for a year or two as kids, but once we get a little older we switch to amore popular sport.

Our pool of people who care about soccer at all is actually very small, but that will change once the next generation of anchor babies grow up.

>per capita

This is like manlets talking about >relative strength

You're either strong or you're not. Nobody cares about your small little weight class, you're either the strongest and the best (most medals) or you don't matter.

Its not our fault you have small babby country full of small babby weight classes.

Why? We have plenty of other sports we like better. Enjoy your sport, we'll enjoy ours.

youtube.com/watch?v=7sRocdJL99M

>never forgetti

That also means a country like Australia can never realistically be the greatest Olympic nation, because there are so many countries with astronomically higher populations. Only the countries with huge populations can ever really have a chance of being the best by your logic, which isn't a fair way of judging things. China and America win the most Olympic medal tables but are not great per capita.

>not posting best FIGHT AND WIN
wew

youtube.com/watch?v=GG-jMjvnua8

We are 4th in the all time Olympic medal table despite being the 22nd most populous country.

I think the biggest problem as a spectator sport is the fact that you can give an afternoon of your attention to what winds up a 0-0 tie. Americans, not having grown up with the sport, look at that and say "Why should I waste any time on that?"

I don't understand the American isolationist mentality. You guys like to claim you're the best in the world but you don't try to fuck the world in the sport the whole world play to prove your superiority.

I don't mind at all if it is important to you; t each his own, have fun with your sport.

That is no reason why we can't find it uninteresting, nor is there really any reason why this should rustle your jimmies.

We don't it interesting, and you really cant make us.

Who fucking cares, shut the fuck up

That was a "general you", not your country specifically.

I happen to enjoy your country, I'll be there stealing the rest of your white women next month, actually.

Soccer is viewed as a sport for 10 year old boys and girls here. When boys reach high school they switch to real sports while girls stick with soccer, which is why our men's team sucks ass but our women's team is dominant.

Yeah, per capiita is nonsense. You and US are top 5 because we're fucking better. Where is India in the medal count?

>Only the countries with huge populations can ever really have a chance of being the best
Yes, exactly, that has always been the case, glad we finally got through to you.

You answered your own question. Football has the largest talent pool in the world, so there is a huge amount of competition from a large amount of countries.

American sports aren't like football.

It's basically pretending you're interested in it and talk about stats all the time because everyone else seems to.

It's more like family gathering and passing the handegg around and popcorn while watching Beyonce open the event and then talk about random handegg stuff and enjoy the funny commercials.

Football is more of a passion. You support your team from when you're a kid to when you die. Bad and boring seasons drain on life but that one season your team wins something big is so rewarding it's insane.

Football is about heroes and tribes, loyalty and devotion. Just look at how the city of Napoli used higuains jersey on all city trashcans after he changed club.

The feeling of having your nation / club in a final and then lose is devastating. It might never come again.

American sports don't have promotion/demotion along with qualifications etc.

It's always the same teams and eventually everyone gets their turn.

In our sport it's often a once in a lifetime when you get to that champions league final or at the top of the league near end of season.

it is not isolationist. We. Don't. Care. About. Soccer. We find it boring and, over here, it is a game for kids to get some exercise.

We have no need to prove our superiority, we already have done that.

God help you if something were to happen and soccer were to become as popular as basketball here. Watch what our basketball team is doing to opponents in your Olympics!

But that won't happen, we don't enjoy soccer. Or quoits. Or sepak takraw. Or ping pong -- you guys in the rest of the world can fight over those.

usyouthsoccer.org/media_kit/keystatistics/

statista.com/statistics/227428/number-of-soccer-players-usa/

I love watching real football. Wish I had played it in school. Don't really have a favorite team or player.

We actually have tv ratings data supporting it now though.

The vast majority of kids who play soccer quit when they're about 10 years old and go on to play other sports, because soccer isn't viewed as a serious sport here unless you're a girl. If you're a boy who's a great athlete, you go play basketball or football.

I don't believe you, I believe the statistics that I read on approved sites.

The USA loves a bad athlete who squeaks out a surprise bronze almost as much as we love a Phelps. (At least for a few days until we move onto the next story).

Girls and children.

About 50% of the boys (15 a grade) in my hometown played soccer in elementary school by high school i think 3 of them played competitively

>In our sport it's often a once in a lifetime when you get to that champions league final or at the top of the league near end of season

Out of the 32 teams in the NFL, 10 have never won the Super Bowl. Most haven't won one in decades. In baseball, there are multiple teams which are on 50+ year title droughts.

>ou guys like to claim you're the best in the world but you don't try to fuck the world in the sport the whole world play to prove your superiority.

m8 we play Economy(R) and Space Race(TM) for that

Yes, almost every kid plays it at YMCA leagues and stuff like that -- little bunches of kids running in a clump around the ball, while the kid in goal stares at the sky and sometimes wandering off out of boredom. So a lot of households have somebody playing. For two or three years, then they get to middle school and give it up for something else.

I think you missed the part about over 30% of American households containing someone that plays soccer, a figure only second to Baseball, American's favourite game.

>Out of the 32 teams in the NFL, 10 have never won the Super Bowl.

13 teams actually.

Those statistics aren't wrong. But they're mostly very young children (12 years old or younger). So the number of youth players is extremely misleading. It also doesn't account for the fact that our best athletes are encouraged to play other sports.

>little bunches of kids running in a clump around the ball

So the USMNT never really grew out of that phase then...

In 2006-7 a guy went to a talk show (similar to Letterman) here and said that and the host was like "fuck off. American are patriotic as fuck. We're just being like them".

The only reason American's best athletes play other sports is because the NFL and NBA need black men. It's a ticket out of the ghetto for them. If you didn't have those two sports, your sporting landscape would be immensely different.

yes and alot of those are girls. Baseball and american football are boys only.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!USA!!! USA!!!

>30% of American households containing someone that plays soccer, a figure only second to Baseball, American's favourite game.

Baseball isn't America's favorite game. Football is. And since about 50% of children are girls, and girls overwhelmingly prefer soccer to other sports, it's no surprise that 30% of households have at least one person that plays soccer.

Not him but its true, most households (with children) have someone that plays soccer growing up. Its a way for mommy to get their kids to play a safe sport and socialize with other mommies.

Nobody plays that shit after middle school.

I know you think you're on to something but you aren't. There are diehard fans in every sport in every country. I've been a Washington fan for my entire life and not a single team from any sport in Washington has won anything of note since I started watching.

You know how black men only make up a certain percentage of the USA's population but account for more than 80% of all crimes, the same applies to USA's biggest sports. Just think about the small percentage of black men that keep those sports alive. Whilst all the white men play in the MLS and you wonder why the MLS is so shit.

see
look I appreciate your eagerness to tell us all about our country, and all, but seriously, other than some yuppie/hipster scum and first-generation immigrants, we really don't care about soccer, after we hang up our cleats at age 12.

We don't care about soccer, we like the World Cup because it gives us a chance to be patriotic (see 4th of July, Memorial Day). MLS games get less TV viewers than the WNBA for fucks sake. The only reason soccer is "on the rise" in the USA, is because we're being invaded by illegal mexicans.

that's about as many children and chicanos we have

America's best white athletes also prefer football, baseball, and basketball. Soccer is mainly a sport for girls, mexicans, and young children.

Hard to translate cultures directly, I guess, but while winning is important here, it's much more important to "leave everything on the field" or put in the maximum effort.

>If things were very different, they would be very different.

OK

>You know how black men only make up a certain percentage of the USA's population but account for more than 80% of all crimes, the same applies to USA's biggest sports.

You're full of shit. Black guys make up less than 10% of Major League Baseball.

Yank accents are vagina repellent mate

Nobody cares about boreball though

>baseball is played by boys only
>football is played by boys only
>basketball is played by poor nigs
>hockey is played by rich white people

no shit

American accents on girls are boner-inducing though.

I have a real fetish for mentally handicapped girls and American women sound so retarded, makes me fucking diamonds.

Baseball is the 2nd-most popular sport in the US. Also, you mentioned "the USA's biggest sports", which are football, baseball, basketball, and hockey, in that order. Of those 4, two are overwhelmingly dominated by blacks, one is overwhelmingly dominated by whites, and one has a large white majority.

Most Amerifats will tell you that they only care about da NBA and NFL though so basebore can suck a dick. Without dem slaves, you would have to watch shit like icefight and luckswing.