How do people even listen to progressive rock...

How do people even listen to progressive rock? Like lmao I don't have the attention span for 20 minute guitar wanks and nerd lyrics about dungeons and dragons in the future

Only good prog rock artist is Zappa

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/artist/3083702-Anubis-23
youtube.com/watch?v=NEM8SnvQ8YY
youtube.com/watch?v=-XpkhBMtNO8
youtube.com/watch?v=RRwD9xXwVfA
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzlb9P1VKLE
youtube.com/watch?v=sY8EGrxVNLM
youtube.com/watch?v=9a1NhRbNJ_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FF-sdP6iu2Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This but unironically. Prog rock is the lamest genre of all time, the only good prog band to ever exist is Yes.

this also unironically, gentle giant is one of the worst bands to have ever lived

prog is just krautrock for people without a sense of humour, but at least its better than post-rock

>prog
>sense of humor
Literally the only humorous prog rock artists are Zappa and Devin Townsend; prog is the most pretentious and uptight genre ever

Modern pseudo-prog bands are the best examples of decent prog; involved enough to be interesting but not wholly engrossed to be dadrock tier like you stated

Such examples include:
>Gazpacho (every album from Night onwards)
>The Dear Hunter (every album except Migrant)
>Anubis (230503, A Tower of Silence)
>The Mars Volta (Deloused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute, The Bedlam in Goliath)
>Coheed and Cambria (In Keeping Secrets..., Good Apollo I, The Afterman: Ascension)

These concept albums are top tier

nice reading comprehension

Fugg :D well, I guess the egg's on my face, huh

>Coheed and Cambria
oh my

Do any of you even fucking play in a band, or fuck, maybe know theory?

I am a musician. I make vaporwave in fl studio.

this guy gets it. best prog another genre crossing into prog territory. folk, alt rock, classical, post rock, etc

Vaporwave """""""""""""""""""musician"""""""""""""""

I have a degree in composition

Not the cynical user, but I like vaporwave - could you supply a link?

Coheed is quite hit and miss for me; Good Apollo II, Year of the Black Rainbow, Afterman: Descension and Color Before the Sun were pretty poor

If you haven't listened to them, check out Anubis as well; they're not as experimental instrumentally of genre-wise as Gazpacho, but their first two albums are quite macabre in concept

Also for other Anons: a guide how to get into Gazpacho i.e. - the best 'prog' band around nowadays

>i dont like vaporwave so it isn't real music

Krautrock is just prog for posers

Prog is the best genre

I've never been able to get into Coheed or Dear Hunter, the emo vocals are terrible

which anubis? the australian one?
discogs.com/artist/3083702-Anubis-23
Sup Forums much ignores gazpacho entirely. I usually get no response or shitposts when I drop them in prog threads

Prog is not for people that can't play an instrument, period.

that chart is great

I've always found Steven Wilson to be terribly melodramatic; everything he writes is just so drab

Australian Anubis, yup - their latest 'Hitchhiking to Byzantium' is less conceptual and more emotional; not that its bad, per se, but not as exciting as their debut and A Tower of Silence, though it's probably the best production of the three. And just look at the artwork UNFF I could just eat it up

I'd argue: A Tower of Silence > Hitchhiking to Byzantium > 230503, but all three are in my Top 100.

>krautrock
>sense of humor
Krautrock is like a sterile version of prog. I do like it but it's even more mechanical than prog already is.

i made this one a while back but it's pretty basic, the other guy's one is much better
I usually recommend starting with youtube.com/watch?v=NEM8SnvQ8YY since its their oldest example of their later sound but more accessible
i'll check it out then. i think i listened to byzantium when it came out but I dont remember it at all

You make vaporwave and you're attirbuting fedoras to anyone else? I'm a professional guitarist and vocalist. Vaporwave is basic garbage.

>professional guitarist and vocalist

I haven't listened to their live albums other than London, are they worth checking out?

For Gazpacho, I'd say: Demon > Night > Missa Atropos > Tick Tock > Molok > March of Ghosts > When Earth Lets Go > Bravo > Firebird, with the first 3 in my Top 100

>Vaporwave is basic garbage
listen to more vaporwave

>professional guitarist and vocalist
So your income relies entirely on guitars and vocals? If you're in a two-bit band on the side of your day job, that's not professional level

>prog made past the year 1990

London and Loreley are both great but I dont care too much for Night of the Demon. too much stuff cut out and it doesn't have some songs that I wanted. The full version on the dvd is probably great though.

March of Ghosts = Missa Atropos > Molok > Demon = Firebird = Night > When Earth Lets Go = Tick Tock = Bravo with all in my top 20 for me

post some of your music

>pseudo-prog

ACTUAL prog nowadays is terrible; Dream Theater, Neal Morse Band, The Flower Kings, Marillion, Yes - it's all god damn awful, seriously

If you've listened to The Astonishing, you'll know my pain

I'll check out Loreley when I can, though I'm excited for the new album they're supposedly working on

I know Gazpacho are Norwegian, but their last 'UK tour' for Molok consisted of London and Leamington Spa - that's barely the Midlands, god damn it, I'd kill to see them live

>prog rock is a lame genre
>but Yes is good
fucking what

They're definitely spending more time on this one. I was expecting an announcement around October or so and a release early this year but its looking to be a summer-fall deal. teaser when

in his defense; Fragile, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album and Relayer are great

but Jesus do they have a god awful track record after Relayer. How can one band be so shit for so long

Vaporwave is literally sampling a song, streching it out on a music program and chopping it up, even my dad could do this.

>even my dad could do this
But he didn't, that's the beauty of Macintosh Plus

but you have to do the above while maintaining a certain atmosphere and making it actually interesting to listen to and not so obvious that it is just slowed down pop music, which is harder than you think. try to make something on the level of floral shoppe, blank banshee or something and see for yourself.

Those albums are really not that great, they're super unadventurous and bland.

Marillion is still great band

>20 minute guitar wanks
>nerd lyrics about dungeons and dragons
prog is my favorite genre and this isn't really applicable to it at all. Are you sure you are thinking of a bunch of random shitty metal genres?

>shitty
yeah fuck you too, cheese is great
youtube.com/watch?v=-XpkhBMtNO8

None of those bands have any good albums
and I like prog

Was this prog rock AOTY?

Because they were all on drugs. And they have much better more natural drugs than the chemical based poison we have these days.

I was being sarcastic. Theoryfags are annoying but I respect them way more than 15 year old PAPA FRANKU fans who make shitty chopped and screwed vaporwave

That's not Affinity by Haken

>None of those bands have any good albums
>and I like prog
You clearly don't

okay okay mister triple dubs, what are some GOOD modern prog bands?
I will admit, the track 'Gaza' from Sounds That Can't Be Made and 'The Leavers' from F.E.A.R are really fucking good songs, but otherwise are pretty generic
what? the fuck's natural drugs? marijuana? go listen to stoner rock, like Ufomammut is better than straight forward old man prog nowadays
ew
>not Vektor's Terminal Redux

>>what? the fuck's natural drugs

This pleb generation is hooked on total poison. Don't even understand what drugs are.

Weed today is unnatural as shit too. Genetically modified shit.

well tbf any drug is contaminated as to increase profits; weed? add some grass clippings. cocaine? add some concrete dust - means you can pad out your product with some fake sjhit

i can't get into them. I like a few songstheir newer albums but none of it really clicks for me
its in my top 3 for 2016, hard to call AOTY for me. it was a real grower though.

youtube.com/watch?v=RRwD9xXwVfA
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzlb9P1VKLE
youtube.com/watch?v=sY8EGrxVNLM
prog folk bump

forgot my image, heres a combined cover that i use for it

>The Astonishing

why must you make me relive this horror

on the bright side, that album made me rethink my entire taste in music

Progfans, share your Top 10 - it doesn't have to be prog

Literally one of the worst albums of the year; at least 'Lord Nafaryus' and 'Three Days' were entertaining; otherwise it was painful

Aphrodites Child had a level of humor to 666. What's hilarious about that album is that every single thing put in that album has a reason to be there, even fucking Ofis which is a line from a famous play, referencing the beast.

of 2016, I mean
even due to the 'humor' I really didn't like 666; I do like Vangelis' solo stuff like the Blade Runner OST and Heaven & Eath though

>I'm a professional guitarist and vocalist
So you picked quite possibly THE most generic and overplayed thing you could be?

honorable mentions
>big blood - radio valkyrie 1905 - 1917
>josephine foster - blood rushing
>mystery - the world is a game
>nu klezmer army - funeral afterparty

top 10 is hard for me but this is close. I have a definite top 5 or so with a few artists entire discog being up there just below it (gazpacho, hrsta, chroma key, big blood, josephine foster, charalambides) then a top 30-100 or so that varies wildly

>my dad could do this
You're as bad as the fucking retards that look at abstract expressionism and say their son could it

>top 3 is not 2016
I'm not sure where you're getting at, but you have some pretty good taste

But they didn't

woop
missed the 2016, my bad. should have looked at your chart i guess

I like 20 minute wanks about dungeons and dragons though
Zappa is okay but my least favorite "prog" artist
He's more art rock though
Maybe I'm just a geek because I really do like exaggerated wank as much as I like subtle wank
Prog is my #1 genre with free jazz following close behind
/blog

bump

blimp

bump
youtube.com/watch?v=9a1NhRbNJ_Y

post one album about dungeons and dragons in the future that isn't power metal

I think you mean Focus.

bmp

dis prog metal guy has the biggest beta male fit

Since this is a prog rock thread, what's some music that's virtuosic, intimate, and sounds like it's on the verge of falling apart, similar to the opening of Close to the Edge?

Swancore>neoprog>corny prog revival shit

FACT: Metal killed prog rock.

Sup Forums killed prog rock

Metal doesn't kill anything. It just doesn't die.

bump

You sir shall walk the plank

PROG ROCK TRIED TO KILL THE METAL

bump

No, punk did.

bump

Stop. This thread is over. Your bait worked. At least you have that going for you.

bump

prog can be short can comfy you know

youtube.com/watch?v=FF-sdP6iu2Q

>liking free jazz
poseur spotted

Hot opinion there buddy. Give pic related a listen.