/prod/

11 year old big room producer edition
youtube.com/watch?v=mbgPZMvVmWw

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go torizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Side note:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ivfgfdxt
clyp.it/p5jmbk1t
clyp.it/user/xrqpoq40
youtube.com/watch?v=fNxacJZXPic
clyp.it/z510pnzp
soundcloud.com/gothboiclique/wicca-phase-springs-eternal-doves-horse-head-penelope-prod-doves
soundcloud.com/gothboiclique/doves-wicca-phase-springs-eternal-kill-me-prod-nedarb-nagrom
clyp.it/wupeydft
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPcglRBYfu0
clyp.it/sovbvtz0
clyp.it/qk2filpz
clyp.it/user/bcnyaq5u
clyp.it/uvg5xkae
clyp.it/ebgozzge
clyp.it/g0uor0v2
clyp.it/2pvzv2n1
clyp.it/xblvdzw2
youtube.com/watch?v=b6sagKAEku8&list=PLnQKNq5KeUpEaWVlGAt6_foiLW_zyyH-n&index=28
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that kid has genuine talent, someone should push him out of the big room creative blackhole

clyp.it/ivfgfdxt

is this label worthy?

spent over 200 hours on this so far

clyp.it/p5jmbk1t

should i go on tour

damn, that made me wet.

stop thinking cause you're rich daddy gave u a studio to play with you dum twat that your some for of a quasi Rick Rubin

fuck off nigger, it's a joke you spastic. Trap producers aren't real producers.

can i buy this on vinyl

get out of here mozart

Is the Samsung Portable 250GB SSD T3 ok for an Audio Drive?

>250GB
no

fuck i just came

jesus christ how jealous of an 11 year old can you be?

500GB ok?
desu I don't think i've used more than 100Gb in libraries or files before.

i hate everyone in that kids video

Depends on what you're using for sampling libraries and whatnot. For instance, Omnisphere alone without any additional packs is about 49 gigs. That's nearly a quarter of your drive right there.

Honestly, it's extremely mediocre music and if he weren't 11 no one would give a fuck.

based flum got forced to pay non-existant denbts back to Triple J for "unearthing" him when it was actually his own manifestation, not Triple Gay. Also a pretty good publicity stunt for flume, although he should of bought him ableton.

So it's just about space? All I really want to know is if there isn't some super secret external HD/SSD spec for audio I've got to figure out.

A lot of people are dissing Harmor in that video's comments section. Why? It's a great vst, right?

it's because they're a bunch of mediocre bigroom producers, with little to no talent who sound the exact same as everyone else. If Martin Garrix doesn't use the VST then it's obviously not good.

savant uses it and thats all it takes. his amount of autism brings years of suffering to any company whos product gets used by him.

imageline makes great synths those people are stupid and people like to shit on imageline because fl studios fruity loops past

Any reason I shouldn't get an Akai Professional APC KEY 25? I use Renoise B)

Should I fall for the meme?

i would get more keys unless you dont have the space

ltcorbis is the superior child producer

How the fuck do I learn Sytrus?

Can I actually make any sound from it?

be prepared to feel like a complete retard. especially when you're a keys player it just feels like crap and intonation is fucking hard at first, but after a couple of hours noodling especially with equator it's tons of fun

What would you do differently?

clyp.it/user/xrqpoq40

What are some cool plugins for live tweaking?

My old delay plugin would drop everything whenever parameters changed, but I just got one (Bionic delay) that takes it in stride with whatever clicks and pitch bends your changes introduce. Fuck, this is fun.

>read manual
>watch youtube tutorial
>mess with presets

repeat for a straight month 1 hour a day at least and you should git gud

>mediocre
It isn't even that.

Even good EDM is barely mediocre. EDM is LITERALLY the same as a fun park for children. Rises and drops are LITERALLY a rollercoaster ride. It "meaks u feel gud" and that's it. It's the most "template-y" genre I've ever heard.

>clyp.it/p5jmbk1t
sign this man

>spending over a grand to play a mousepad wrist rest

also this is a much cheaper thing which replicates some of the same functionality

dammit
youtube.com/watch?v=fNxacJZXPic

that sounds majestic

I god damn give up

I started learning Ableton 2 years ago and I still have yet to make anything I'm proud of. Everything sounds like shit, my synths are never in sync, everything is too quiet, I'm permanently stuck in the "make a 4 bar loop that sounds good, click save and never make a full track ever" phase. I thought buying gear would help, nope. I'm just god damn shit.

clyp.it/z510pnzp
thoughts?
>my synths are never in sync
like, your physical synths? or vsts

hardware synths and samplers.

>make a nice dub chord with one synth
>only have enough inputs and cables to use one at a time
>ah guess I'll see if I can make some nice drums with my sampler
>kick sounds like shit
>everything sounds like shit
>it's out of sync
>watch youtube videos of people using the exact gear I have
>comfy fucking tunes

All I want is to make nice tunes and calm my shit brain for a few hours a day, is that so much to ask for? Instead I get constant anxiety knowing I'll never be good.

>tfw I've been shit for 10 years and only finished like 5 songs but I'm still having a blast

How do I get started making Gothboiclique style beats? I'm been producing for like 8 years but I just can't seem to get down that style. Like, I think I have the voice for it, I just can't seem to make the beats.

Examples:
soundcloud.com/gothboiclique/wicca-phase-springs-eternal-doves-horse-head-penelope-prod-doves
>soundcloud.com/gothboiclique/doves-wicca-phase-springs-eternal-kill-me-prod-nedarb-nagrom

yo this shit sucks
I'll say though the vox are very breathy and like, he's singing like a mid-2ks pop emo band, so I guess listen to some of that

fuck, you said you wanted to make the beats. that kind of music seems very reliant on sorta happy sounding elements mixed with darker sounds, like that 2nd song has a very major sounding bassline with a minor sample on top, and then obviously lots of 808 kicks and sprinkler hihats

I'm trying to add guitar rig to audacity but every time i change the state of the plugin from new to enabled it just goes back to new

It doesn't show up in my plugins list

What do i do?

use a daw

Audacity is a daw

enjoy your gay errors then

try reaper

I'm not feeling like spending 1000 bucks on a program tbH

like 99.999% of producers pirated their daw lad

Having fun with Zebra. I just have to break the main loop before it's too late and it sticks in my head forever. Not mixed yet.

clyp.it/wupeydft

Does /prod/ have a discord?

Just so you know, this is NOT true, and often you will be subject to stigma if other producers (in the professional environment) and engineers realise you are cracking software.

You must understand that you are literally stealing the money of the developer and that you are not helping "their" industry.

All the NFO's from release groups say at the end "If you like your developer, buy the software to support them". Its not just a meme it is the industry surviving.

I always pictured it has emo vocals/emo lyrics (will the occasional hood rat lyric) over emo trap beats. I dig it. I dunno why. I know how to make trap. It's like all I make. I just can't get that certain style down. They seem like the use a lot of samples but I suck at samplinig.

I just going to assume you're the guy that said trap producers arnt real producers, care to post your trap?

Even if it wasn't you post your shit fgt

Alright, gimme just a sec. I gotta export it and upload it.

my friend's MPK-mini key snapped off, anyone know where I can get a replacement key?

What is, in your opinion, the best digital osc -> analog filter synth in terms of how interesting it sounds?

The PPG wave is the best I've heard, all over this song:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPcglRBYfu0

lol no its not nice try tho

Love an not a roby

liar

bump

It does. And it's trash.

Thoughts? I'm drawing a blank on the first drop so I just put whatever on it.

clyp.it/sovbvtz0

Anyone have any tips on how to not be a lazy shit producer? I have tons of cool ideas and riffs recorded but I've never actually made a complete song

>he thinks a digital audio workspace isn't a digital audio workspace

It's not a good one but it's still a DAW

First one I ever made (it got pretty big on SC for some reason too.
>clyp.it/qk2filpz
>chill trap

Second one:
clyp.it/user/bcnyaq5u
water trap

Third one: clyp.it/uvg5xkae
Still not done yet though: Also, I cut out the beginning because I fucked something up. It was only like 20 seconds.
hype af

(I also just realized there's another fuck op around 0:20. Oh well.)

I've been asking myself this for 2 years now. I'm legit unable to flesh out an entire track, unless you consider a 4 bar loop faded in and faded out an entire track.

Some people just dont have it.

Force yourself to finish a song, work on it until its done.

Should take you 14 hours max to finish a 3-4 minute song. Put in the hours, put them in until its done. No one can cure your laziness unfortunately

I'm trying to make this sound like it's from the 90s.

Not entirely finished with it, but I want to hear /prod/'s opinion before making any big changes.

clyp.it/ebgozzge

Sup /prod/

Looking for a hardware synth to be my default device for pads. Something polyphonic that I can quickly tweak and record into a daw.

Thinking about the korg minilogue, but didn't know if their was better option, maybe something vintage. Budget is 800

- Make a 'production notes' notepad file and every time you're messing round with a synth, an effect, guitar + amp etc and you find something that sounds good, write down in the file what you used and keep adding to it every time you stumble upon something. Even if it's a far-out abstract thought you had on music just write it down.

- Set out days where all you do is sit down and make your own presets, or patch settings for hardware. Go back to old projects and you saved (I always add 'ok'/'good'/'goodgood' to the filename to set it out from the shit doodles) and find ones with interesting sounds that you can re-use. Save the synth patches and effect settings as seperate settings but also save the combined track (instrument and effects) into a container like ableton's instrument rack

By doing this you can save up a big bank of stuff tailored to your taste that you will definitely find more useful than stock presets.

For composing, try thinking of a melody or a riff or bassline etc and singing/humming it. Record it to an audio track. You could build up a song of you doing vocalizations and beatboxing and then just replace the lines with synths/guitar/drums.

For guitar, use an amp emulator that allows you to stack two radically different amp + effect sounds in parallel like guitar rig. I don't know why but having two diff layered sounds in unison really helps with improvising ideas, it might be that the two sounds phasing with each other has some sort of suggestive effect.

Organize your vsts, patterns, automations, and effects.

It legit helped me.

trying my hand at a bit of IDM desu

drawing in every single hit this is a fucking nightmare. Gonna get rid of the hissing hat btw but I have about 3 seconds finished

clyp.it/g0uor0v2

For reference; some will not need this at all - but this is just my Kontakt libraries.

I went to sweetwater's physical location and tried this while I was there, it felt like shit.

Hi, I'm new. How do I record a 'sequence' of VST knob-turning? That I to say:
>load up a VST
>add an audio effect to it
>press a key
>move around stuff on the effect panel, move knobs on the vst
>all this while the key is pressed
How do I record that entire sequence of sound, of saturation augmenting, of a high filter entering (and then leaving), etc?

On Ableton btw.

For 800 you're not gonna find a whole lot of hardware, but for just over 800 your options open up greatly. I'd suggest a waldorf blofeld and some good effect pedals. Blofeld can be had for under 400 for hte module.

So when people talk about using a long attack time on a compressor, say for a piano or a guitar or something.
How long is long?

I've got some horrifying ideas about compressors to unlearn.

you can configure VST parameters by clicking the down arrow on the VST window, click configure and then adjust parameters. Ableton saves the parameter settings so you can record automation

Critique me prod fags clyp.it/2pvzv2n1

In the arrangement view, on the right of the channel strip there is two boxes, and a small + symbol underneath. These are Automation arming. Click on your VST and move a knob, the box will change to the parameter you are modulating. Click the + to put that modulation in its own strip. Draw it up and down at your discretion, some will have ON/OFF settings which will be all the way up and all the way down respectively - most will be an amount between 0-100% wet/dry.

You can copy and paste automation across different automation strips to automate many things to move in tandem, if you are using a VST with macro knobs, assign many parameters to a macro and modulate the macro.

have fun senpai

When making a track, do you like to start with a sample, a melody/harmony, or a beat?

I usually start with beats, bass, or pads. Rarely melodies.

Well the actual milliseconds that the compressor shows you aren't always accurate, but I'd say around 30 or 40 ms seems to be "long" on most comp plugins I've used.

Like I said though, don't trust the milliseconds. Just try to listen for the effect that you want. One trick is to turn up the ratio really high, and lower the threshold a lot so you're getting a lot of gain reduction, and then adjust attack and release times. Slow attack usually means that the "attack" of the sound is coming through uncompressed, so try to listen for a sharp transient type thing coming though louder.

THANKS!!

Thanks for that, just needed a ballpark estimate.

Btw, just curious for now, but are there any pros willing to take a .flp and maybe a reference song or two, mix for a few hours and send the thing back for studying? And how much would that cost?

Ignore my clipping audio.

I'm recording my MS20 and I'm getting this high pitched whine in all off my recordings. Does anyone have an idea of what is creating this noise? I tried EQing it out but it will muffle my synthesizer.

clyp.it/xblvdzw2

Can I get a link?

Possibly, you could try posting on /r/audioengineering, i don't know if it would be against the rules but you can try

I'd estimate it might cost $100 - $200, not really sure though

Who has experience with hydrogen for programming drums? I'm just looking for something simple and straightforward to fuck around with, possibly put drums on some acoustic stuff I have already

Would it just be better to just torrent logic/etc and use that?

Pensado's Place is literally that

youtube.com/watch?v=b6sagKAEku8&list=PLnQKNq5KeUpEaWVlGAt6_foiLW_zyyH-n&index=28

Do you have a CTR monitor? Could be interference.

Or maybe it's oscillator bleed, dunno if that's possible.

I don't, I'm going to buy new cables and replace my audio interface and see if that plays into it.

np bud

the clipping itself could be the cause but i guess you've probably tried that

it sounds like resonance on a filter and it only exists on the left channel (i think), I might be wrong

i just looked at what the ms20 was and thats pretty fucking cool man

if you are panning the noises because they are mono maybe the resonance is coming from phasing during the pan with one of the stereo sources

the sound begins at the beginning of the track which starts with the bass, try changing the filter on your bassline to be either a lower db cut lowpass or at a different frequency.

also because it starts at the beginning it could a rendering issue, is the noise always present while you are playing it or is it only in the rendered file? if its only in the rendered file its the rendering process is fucking up somehow

theres probably a bunch of other possibilites aswell desu

don't buy stuff until you've ruled other things out

I figured it out, as soon as I open qtjack (Linux audio processor) it introduces the whine. So now I know that, I'm gonna fiddle with jack till I find why it's making this noise. Thank you for the suggestions and sorry to make you type all that out for it to be something completely different.